MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 09:55 PM   #41
paniro187

Feedback Rating: (0)

i think a sv650 would be a more logical move than a full on 600

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade 1308cc General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 10-16-2011 07:30 PM
Upgrade/New Bike 91stunna General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 10-08-2011 07:44 PM
my upgrade wesleh General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 10-06-2011 06:48 PM
What to upgrade first? Timme' Taking it to the Track 57 07-15-2008 12:41 PM
Upgrade coming soon. Solracer Forum Updates & Feedback 22 11-29-2006 12:06 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2007, 10:32 PM   #42
SVmike
nuthin'

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
just a mtn bike now...

Send a message via AIM to SVmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187 View Post
that's what i was thinkin. Seth, you ever ridden a 650 twin?
Old 10-04-2007, 10:50 PM   #43
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
I think so, too.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:51 PM   #44
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth View Post
^PM'd!
PM'd back. Thanks!
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:13 PM   #45
Meaner-n-u
Just so you know...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple SE
09 Fz6"Rrrrr"

I just started out on a 250 Virago Cruiser. Yes, it stinks not being able to keep up with everyone else. And some (jerks) will even make fun of you. (Ignore them.) I get out there ALL ALONE and just ride, then I don't have to keep up. I also ride with other 250 owners. We're all in the same boat. I've put almost 2000 miles on my bike in just one month. Even though I know one day I will outgrow my little bike, I don't worry about the move up. One step at a time. It's really good you don't want to skip into the liter bikes. (REPEAT INFO HERE) Only you can know when you are ready to move on/up. The fact that you are here, posting, questioning, LEARNING... says to me that you'll be okay.

Just Keep Riding.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:24 PM   #46
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
I'm just saying for what I use the bike for I feel limited. If I had the money to do trackdays with the 250 I would, but I don't. I scrap my foot all the time in corners (I guess my feet are big enough to where I don't scape the pegs?).

Since when did I have to fully max out the potential of the 250 before I can move up.. jeez

Not to mention it's ****ing scary taking any turn over 80 because the tire is so skinny. :/: bah, idk.
I am with you sir.... screaming WOT a lot of the time can bit very old very quick and it sucks big time... like Jet mentioned, it's all about you as a person and being level headed and not letting your wrist do all the talking. Sell the 250 (you'll get almost what you paid for it....I do agree it is a smart investment) and move on up.....then get ready to be 2nd to last in front of Jet for a while on the backroads
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:30 PM   #47
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
and Keith, you just got to ignore RacerX....just like I do gixxerbill here on the forum
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:42 PM   #48
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
The SV650 is not everyone's style. There are a lot of bikes out there. If I had to do it all over again, I'd try a Ninja 650 or a Monster 800 maybe. I haven't ridden enough bikes to have a big opinion on each but there are lot of bikes for Seth to look at.

Seth, the Motorcycle show is coming up first weekend in November. PERFECT way to test sit a bunch of bikes and talk to people about behavior in lower RPMs, higher RPMs, check weight, touching the ground, etc.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:47 PM   #49
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
COUGH 636 COUGH

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:46 AM   #50
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
+1 and let somebody who know;s how to ride and time it, then you time yourself.

I'd like to see the difference between even a trackday junkie and yourself on a 250. Or a 500. If you couldn't match their times, would you sell the VFR and the SV and get a smaller bike?
He did exactly what anybody with sense would tell a new rider to do. He got his MSF cert, bought gear first, and then started on a 250. Rode it a bit more than we've seen a lot of others ride as well. I know 6k is not really all that many miles at all, that we will agree on, but it's enough to get basic bike control down, and get a feel for and learn the basic rules of the road on a motorcycle. He doesn't just commute on the thing at 40mph all the time either. he goes out with us on spirited rides(except Sundays, the 250 CANNOT keep up with an avg. street rider) I've personally ridden with Seth, and have watched him throw that lil bike around. We've come to be pretty good friends, and I have no problem seeing him jump on a 600, if that's what he wants. He's a smart kid, and respects the capabilites of moden bikes while knowing, and keeping in line with his abilities.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:50 AM   #51
Vandals
Scooter

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha r1
1981 Honda Trail 110 -"The Tank"

Seth rides a 250 like i rode my 250. Your safe to upgrae man. Dont listen to the haters trying to hold you down. you have the maturity to not go out and use the full potential of the bike everywhere and kill yourself.
Vandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:38 AM   #52
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
I'm just saying for what I use the bike for I feel limited. If I had the money to do trackdays with the 250 I would, but I don't. I scrap my foot all the time in corners (I guess my feet are big enough to where I don't scape the pegs?).

Since when did I have to fully max out the potential of the 250 before I can move up.. jeez

Not to mention it's ****ing scary taking any turn over 80 because the tire is so skinny. :/: bah, idk.
you're riding incorrectly. maybe you should do a trackday before you upgrade the bike. at least know how to ride the bike (aggressively) correctly before you upgrade. you'd be suprised on what your 250 can actually do. , if you sell it cheap enough, i'll buy it and race it next year. i've been watching the 250's race.....and it sure does seem like fun.

but again, hey, it's your money, your life. i would probably upgrade also ...but if i were you, i would strongly suggest taking a trackday at least once or twice on that bike. if you wreck it, oh well, not too expensive to fix. learn on a 600cc bike....wrecks cost a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuckzx7 View Post
I am with you sir.... screaming WOT a lot of the time can bit very old very quick and it sucks big time... like Jet mentioned, it's all about you as a person and being level headed and not letting your wrist do all the talking. Sell the 250 (you'll get almost what you paid for it....I do agree it is a smart investment) and move on up.....then get ready to be 2nd to last in front of Jet for a while on the backroads
being limited on top speed might've saved his life a time or two? :dontknow: i'm not one to preach to the choir though....because i'm pretty stupid when i ride on the streets as well. my friend let me keep his bike at my shop, and told me i can ride it whenever i want.....but the urge, i think i might have saved my own life by just letting it sit there. i've been itching to ride....time to go out on the mini in a parking lot somewhere until the next trackday or race.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:25 AM   #53
clint08911

From the sound of it, you were responsible enough to start on a 250 and take the motorcycle safety course, I think you were more resposible than most on here. It sounds like a jump to a 600 would be a good move. I really don't see any bad reasoning, with any of your comments. If nobody here was limited in any way by a 250, then everybody here would pay half the price and be on that bike.

Clint
clint08911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:50 AM   #54
Jesse H

Bike(s):
05 Harley Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasee69 View Post
if you buy a 250 used you can easily put a few thousand miles on it and barely lose any money. i think starting on a 250 makes you a better rider. i kind of regret i didnt do it
I feel the same way. I started on a heavy 800cc Vtwin. It wasn't fast by today's standards but had plenty of low end torque that was intimidating for a beginner.

I wouldn't mind having a 250 just because they're so lightweight, tossable and fun.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:57 AM   #55
Jesse H

Bike(s):
05 Harley Road King

Quote:
I'm just saying for what I use the bike for I feel limited. If I had the money to do trackdays with the 250 I would, but I don't.
No money for a $200 track day but money for a shiny 600 sportbike?

Quote:
I scrap my foot all the time in corners (I guess my feet are big enough to where I don't scape the pegs?).
Foot positioning. Place the of your feet on the peg and you won't scrape your toes.[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with wanting a faster and more powerful bike. Just come up with silly excuses on why you NEED a bigger bike. Nobody needs a bigger bike. As long as you're ready for it.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:20 AM   #56
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

let people get the bike they want, its not about COMPLETELY MASTERING a bike before moving up to the next one....how many people on here have a BIGGER bike then a 250cc and really can scrape peg and wear off their knee pucks on a 250???? VERY FEW!!!!! Hardly anybody on this site but a select FEW has really REALLY MASTERED(on a rossi,hayden,pederossa level)a bike thats 250cc/400cc/500cc etc.!!!! its just a personal preference on looks,style,feel and price......not everybody loves the look of a sv650! yes it may be a good starter bike for power and forgiveness but im not goin to buy a uglly a$$ sv <<<(not my opinion but alot of people believe this) for several thousands and ride it around not liking it and feeling ashamed of my bike just cause its supposedlly to others its a good starter bike. i know im not goin to own something unless i love the look/feel and its what i truly want..but i do belive in NOT moving up to a 1000 cc bike until you have had ALOT of experience on multiply bikes and have 15-20,000 hard ridden miles under your belt...but to each their own

-Harley Davidson is The Original Gangster

Last edited by Nightster Ridester; 10-05-2007 at 04:22 AM.
Nightster Ridester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:50 AM   #57
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Get the bigger bike that you want. The same things that happens on a 250 will happed on a 600, just a lot faster. You control your bike and it only goes as gast as you want it too.
The layout and design of the 600 bikes are truely amazing. The confidence and feel are out of this world. The style is cutting edge, and the performance is breath taking.

BE MINDFUL OF THE PERFORMANCE COMMENT, YOU WILL NEED TIME TO ADJUST!!!
Old 10-05-2007, 09:54 AM   #58
Seth
F T W

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
sixsevenfive

Send a message via AIM to Seth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse H View Post
No money for a $200 track day but money for a shiny 600 sportbike?

Foot positioning. Place the of your feet on the peg and you won't scrape your toes.
Nothing wrong with wanting a faster and more powerful bike. Just come up with silly excuses on why you NEED a bigger bike. Nobody needs a bigger bike. As long as you're ready for it.[/QUOTE]

Well they make these things called loans, and I think I'd get one for a new bike.

The foot positioning thing; I've tried putting the ball of my foot on the peg and it does work but it doesn't feel as comfortable. So what I do now is I just put my foot on top of the shifter if I feel like I will hit my foot. It works just fine and doesn't cramp up my leg.

Racer X.. I would try what you mentioned now that I think about it. I'm sure I won't lose by much.

I would race it if I knew what to do. I probably could have enough money for full gear and a track day at least by the end of this month. I've been saving my money for more gear and such too. (gauntlet gloves, boots, pants) But honestly I wouldn't know how to do a track day. I read the whole "Track Day Guide" but that really only tells me how to get the bike ready. I don't know anyone personally that does track days and would help me out. I think I've asked around on here before but never got a good response. :/:

Thanks to everyone for the plethora of opinions. I really appreciate it.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:59 AM   #59
level5
moving chicane

Forget the 600, 750, 1000, just get a busa it's the fastest production bikes ever. This way you'll will never have to upgrade again.

Seriously, just get the bikes that you want and I am sure no one on here can tell you what to buy anyway. With that said, everyone go view different threads. Your preaching is not wanted here.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:03 AM   #60
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

not alot to do, sign up for a T/D, get your bike there, prefer. trailer it. get in the slow group and ride.

peeps from here goto every trackday.

and YES, you'd be suprised at how slow you really are.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement