MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #21
Seth
F T W

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
sixsevenfive

Send a message via AIM to Seth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
tell your friends to slow down for you! lol

Yeh, a 250 for freeway riding is a bit of a chore....but technically, you shouldnt be trying to 90mph anyhow lol
I know, and it's funny how every time we go on a ride people are like "yeah we're gonna go around the speed limit, and we'll take it easy since the 250 is with us" Even when they are aware that I'm there they still haul . I guess to everyone else 90mph is a good cruising speed. And I HAVE to keep up especially if I don't know where I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia View Post
THAT was one of the problems I had. I was so used to go 'Waaaaaah' shift 'Waaaah' shift 'Waaaah' shift to even make it to 40 mph, lol. It really got on my nerves. I personally just didn't want any high revving bike anymore after that period. On the VFR, you sit there and go 'waahhhhhh' really smooth and are at 30 mph and it is such an enjoyment. I felt like I could finally relax.
Haha, my bike isn't too too bad on that. Especially since we re-jetted the carbs. So it has a lot more mid-range power, so for awhile there it was actually a little more fun to ride. Still, even in the apex of a turn, I jam it to full throttle and I barely get a response.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade 1308cc General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 10-16-2011 07:30 PM
Upgrade/New Bike 91stunna General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 10-08-2011 07:44 PM
my upgrade wesleh General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 10-06-2011 06:48 PM
What to upgrade first? Timme' Taking it to the Track 57 07-15-2008 12:41 PM
Upgrade coming soon. Solracer Forum Updates & Feedback 22 11-29-2006 12:06 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2007, 05:36 PM   #22
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth View Post
Haha, my bike isn't too too bad on that. Especially since we re-jetted the carbs. So it has a lot more mid-range power, so for awhile there it was actually a little more fun to ride. Still, even in the apex of a turn, I jam it to full throttle and I barely get a response.
Yeah, coming out of the turn is where they usually leave the 250s behind. You have to slow down for them coming into the turn and coming out, you don't have enough juice. Then, if they keep cooking on the straights, you are history. I totally understand.

It is a great bike to ride for the first few months but there is a time for everything. I hope you don't have too wait too long on your upgrade.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:50 PM   #23
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187 View Post
one of the most uneducated comments ever................
+1 and let somebody who know;s how to ride and time it, then you time yourself.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #24
Seth
F T W

Bike(s):
sixsevenfive

Nah
Old 10-04-2007, 05:55 PM   #25
Costas

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'04 ZX-10R
'07 ZX-6R (track)
'04 ZX-6R (sold)
'05 Ninja 500 (sold)

Send a message via AIM to Costas
i recently upgraded from a ninja500 to a ninja636 and couldn't be happier. i had around 3700 miles on the ninja500 and then borrowed a friends r6 and put another 700 miles on that one in about a week or so. after giving it back and going to my 500 again it just wasn't the same. i feel pretty comfortable on it, just need to pickup a steering stabilizer because it can get pretty wild at times. i do miss the softness of the seat on the ex500 though, 636 is like a rock after about an hour =(

when i went on rides with friends the bike felt fine at around 90 or so through corners, but if i hit triple digits through turns the bike didn't feel too stable like a 600 does with some fat tires. checked the tire pressure and also got the suspension adjusted to my weight and it didn't make much of a difference. it was so much easier to swerve the 500 left and right though on those skinny little tires.

really glad i started out on something that's not a super sport or else i'd probably be scared of it. good luck with finding something else =]

edit: i only got the pegs to scrape once so i guess i'm not too gangster lol

Last edited by Costas; 10-04-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Costas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:56 PM   #26
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Nah
so back to the ego outgrowing the bike, not your skills.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 10-04-2007, 06:21 PM   #27
Seth
F T W

Bike(s):
sixsevenfive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
so back to the ego outgrowing the bike, not your skills.
I'm just saying for what I use the bike for I feel limited. If I had the money to do trackdays with the 250 I would, but I don't. I scrap my foot all the time in corners (I guess my feet are big enough to where I don't scape the pegs?).

Since when did I have to fully max out the potential of the 250 before I can move up.. jeez

Not to mention it's ****ing scary taking any turn over 80 because the tire is so skinny. :/: bah, idk.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:29 PM   #28
Speedemon

Bike(s):
GSXR GRAND

Send a message via AIM to Speedemon
I have a 05 636 I will sell you with 5K miles for $4950

Has some scratches - ( CLEAN TITLE )
Speedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:31 PM   #29
paniro187

Quote:
I'm just saying for what I use the bike for I feel limited. If I had the money to do trackdays with the 250 I would, but I don't. I scrap my foot all the time in corners (I guess my feet are big enough to where I don't scape the pegs?).

Since when did I have to fully max out the potential of the 250 before I can move up.. jeez

Not to mention it's ****ing scary taking any turn over 80 because the tire is so skinny. :/: bah, idk.
the uneducated comments just keep spewing forth.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:58 PM   #30
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

ya'll leave him alone...he wants to upgrade...big deal. the 250 is a great beginner bike. But lacks big bike build quality and features. Unless it is to be used to scoot around locally or some money thrown at it to set it up for racing other 250's...upgrading is a natural progression.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #31
dnix600

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600

i think youve been on the forum long enough to know you cant please everyone. id keep an open mind about it, but honestly.....you were responsible enough to start on a 250 and take msf. if you feel your ready for a bigger bike, then go for it. it seems like youve made good decisions so far.
dnix600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #32
dnix600

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuckzx7 View Post
this is why I'm not a big believer/preacher about starting on a 250....a katana or something "mild" yes, but a 250....not for me....never took the MSF either
squid
dnix600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:25 PM   #33
Seth
F T W

Bike(s):
sixsevenfive

thanks to the people who understand.

no thanks to the guy who keeps calling me ignorant. you can GTFO of my thread or give reasoning.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:26 PM   #34
D_UNIT

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
03'xr50w/carbon fiber,07' R1(SOLD), 06' Ranger Rover Sport SuperCharged(NEW TOY)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia View Post
THAT was one of the problems I had. I was so used to go 'Waaaaaah' shift 'Waaaah' shift 'Waaaah' shift to even make it to 40 mph, lol. It really got on my nerves. I personally just didn't want any high revving bike anymore after that period. On the VFR, you sit there and go 'waahhhhhh' really smooth and are at 30 mph and it is such an enjoyment. I felt like I could finally relax.

Thanks for the sound effects it really made the story interesting and gave me a visual. j/k
D_UNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:56 PM   #35
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

I think you did a great thing by starting out on a 250. Kudos to you. With that said, I can understand the feeling of having a smaller, less powerful bike than your friends. You were responsible enough to start on the right bike, and take the MSF, so I think you will know when you are ready to move up... or maybe not.

Really think about your decision, and be honest with yourself, not to be too concerned with other people's opinions, whether they be pro or con. I believe that by sticking with the 250 to "hone in" your skills on the street, will help you two-fold when you apply those skills to a larger, heavier, less nimble, and less forgiving bike. In those 6 months, and 6000 miles that you owned the 250, was the majority of those miles just doing rides, going here, and going there to get around? In other words, when you rode those 6k miles, were you focused on your form, smoothness, braking, counter-steering in quick one-two successions, scanning the road ahead and around you, etc., etc.... or were you more excited by the sensations of riding?

Owning a 250 as your first ride is the best opportunity to practice these skills, because it's a bike that is light, nimble, and forgiving so as to make it easier to perfect your new skills, and adapt in a practical way to the sensations or riding in the streets, without being distracted by how cool your bike is to you and/or your peers. What's cool is relative... remember, you set the example on how to start the right way (of course, even that's debatable depending on who you ask), but the ones who commend you are usually the ones on the same page with you. And you're on the right page, so I'm cool with that. I think you can also develop these skills on a 500 or a more composed 600 sportbike, but since you now have a 250, I would recommend being sure you've got the basic skills worked out, then move on up. So are you ready? Only you know the answer to that.

BTW, I'm glad you're not immediately thinking of a Liter bike. I think 600 sportbikes are more fun, anyway.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:41 PM   #36
Seth
F T W

Bike(s):
sixsevenfive

^PM'd!
Old 10-04-2007, 08:59 PM   #37
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:

I know I'm ready to move up, that's why I said I am limited, as in, I'm limited with what I can do because of the bike.
moving up is no big deal , it asinine statements like ^ that "we" are questioning.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 10-04-2007, 09:22 PM   #38
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Sound like responsibility and patience gave to some experience.

If you really think ur ready, its on you... Kudos on what everyone else said about considering the 600s... You'll be pleased
CaligoneTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:41 PM   #39
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
moving up is no big deal , it asinine statements like ^ that "we" are questioning.
Who made you and gave you the right to question everyone anyways? It seems like in 90% of the threads you post in you have some jackass thing to say. You don't try to persuade people to think the way you do(which is always the right way, of course), you just flame them for not doing so. Where the is the ignore button?
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:43 PM   #40
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought