MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 02:50 PM   #61
Fuzzy018

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2009 HD Dyna - Super Glide

Is the 2008 Yamaha YZF R125 gonna be available in the US?

2008 R125 6
Fuzzy018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2001 cbr 929rr no start ign switch broken what wire goes were so i can start it rparker1978 How To's and Q & A's 9 09-01-2014 11:50 PM
Where to start bshafer Vintage / Cafe Racers 3 05-11-2013 08:22 AM
maybe one of our sponsors can start this? PimpRice The Circus 5 02-20-2013 06:50 AM
Where do you start? anthny2040 Taking it to the Track 43 02-19-2009 01:08 AM
Not trying to start anything paniro187 Stunters Lounge 65 06-24-2007 10:01 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #62
Number5

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
i do know a lady that started on a zx14... she has taken to it pretty well, but that is against the odds
If I went out and won the lottery... and got a 'Busa... and sent it flying down the road.. with or without me attached...

I doubt seriously I'd ever try again. I'd be just way too heartsick, even if I hadn't been seriously damaged physically.

See... Pat was looking for his bike this past spring. I was going around with him from place to place. Mostly because I used to do sales and so I know how the sales people work. It's an advantage in some cases.

So, we walk into this place.

There are two bikes sitting inside the front doors that I hadn't seen when we were walking up.

I stopped dead in my tracks. Pat and the salesman almost ran me over. I didn't even notice.

My voice quivered and my mouth was dry as old bones as I managed to ask, in a reverent tone, "What exactly is *that?*"

"Ah," says the salesman, "THAT is a Hayabusa."

Someday... *someday* I'm gonna finish that scene out the way I wanted to right that moment... and oooh what a happy day that will be! *laugh* (And take that any way you all want to, I know you will anyway!)
Old 10-02-2007, 02:57 PM   #63
Number5

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
if your really dead set on a bigger bike look into Honda CBR f3's they hav plenty of pep for experienced riders, low power until you get into the upper rpm range, very comfy and it's a honda it won't drop in value
The bigger bike is the goal, not the starting point.

Even I know that much.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #64
Number5

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia View Post
Yeah, talking about looking cool. When I started, I looked like a parrot. I wanted to be seen in traffic. I had a green ninja, red jacket, yellow/black helmet with a blue tail bag.

I wouldn't mind getting one of the new 250s now. I sorta miss mine in a way sometimes and the new ones look really hot.
Hey, that beats the Power Rangers I've seen.

I just have to ask, side thread for a moment...

Does that stuff (that power-ranger looking gear) protect better or something? I see a LOT of it out there.

Already have helmet and jacket, and no, I am NOT going to be a pink freaking power ranger! But there has to be a reason other than looks for those things... and protection is all I can think of. Am I right there?
Old 10-02-2007, 03:10 PM   #65
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number5 View Post
As for height, 5'5" AKA same height or a smidge taller than most women, not as tall as some.
I am 5'4 and on most bigger bikes, I am tip-toeing. Hondas are the worst, they have wider tanks and seats, for some reason. The R6 felt good but the salesman had told me real quick that it wasn't a noob bike.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #66
Fuzzy018

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2009 HD Dyna - Super Glide

Quote:
I am 5'4 and on most bigger bikes, I am tip-toeing. Hondas are the worst, they have wider tanks and seats, for some reason. The R6 felt good but the salesman had told me real quick that it wasn't a noob bike.
I not a fan on Kawi but the ZZR's are low.
Fuzzy018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:13 PM   #67
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Hey, that beats the Power Rangers I've seen.

I just have to ask, side thread for a moment...

Does that stuff (that power-ranger looking gear) protect better or something? I see a LOT of it out there.

Already have helmet and jacket, and no, I am NOT going to be a pink freaking power ranger! But there has to be a reason other than looks for those things... and protection is all I can think of. Am I right there?
When Skid and I went into a fast food place in College Station once, a kid leaned over and told his dad "Look, the power rangers!" and he kept aweing at us. It was priceless. Yes, it is for protection though, not any other reason.

I had a bad crash at the end of July and the only reason I am able to recover is because I wore good gear. Granted, it was on the track but I always wear gear on the street as well; I am actually considering how I can upgrade my street gear to reduce the risk of injury in case of a crash even more.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:17 PM   #68
ipath1

you should look into the ninja 500r , that s what i started on and i think its a great beginners bike, its pretty g and if you need some power its there, i think you wont get over it as soon as you would the 250 .im so glad i went with the 500r , ive had situations where if there was any more power i would have lost the bike,.so its awesome.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:22 PM   #69
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Found a pic. Me on the Ninja... No blue tailbag though, didn't use that for Sunday morning rides, only commuting.

Ninja JIB

And here is the Ninja next to a blue Busa. The black one is a Ninja 250 as well, by the way. Didn't hold up too bad in a group, did it?

Waiting to Leave deleted
Old 10-02-2007, 03:38 PM   #70
Number5

Member Garage

[QUOTE=Faylaricia;783669]When Skid and I went into a fast food place in College Station once, a kid leaned over and told his dad "Look, the power rangers!" and he kept aweing at us. It was priceless. Yes, it is for protection though, not any other reason.

[QUOTE]

*ROFL @ THE KID!!!*
Old 10-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #71
Number5

Member Garage

Quote:
Found a pic. Me on the Ninja...
*lol* You certainly were going for ... um... visible!

Thanks for the feedback too.

*making more notes*
Old 10-02-2007, 03:42 PM   #72
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

I started out on a 1990 kawi Zephyr 550

great bike, PLENTY of power...

Ive got an 05 ninja 500r if youd like to come out and check it out, its not for sale, but I could show it to you tell you about em etc.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:46 PM   #73
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
*lol* You certainly were going for ... um... visible!

Thanks for the feedback too.

*making more notes*
Now I have a red bike, so it does match. My helmet was light purple/blue though. I am not sure what I want to replace it with but I am still going with visible. Maybe neon yellow with big pink dots.

j/k - Some of the Shoei helmets look really nice.

I'd say, go for protection first, then looks. Crashing sucks but at least I should be back up and running by November. Hopefully ...
Old 10-02-2007, 03:51 PM   #74
Number5

Member Garage

Quote:
Now I have a red bike, so it does match. My helmet was light purple/blue though. I am not sure what I want to replace it with but I am still going with visible. Maybe neon yellow with big pink dots.

j/k - Some of the Shoei helmets look really nice.

I'd say, go for protection first, then looks. Crashing sucks but at least I should be back up and running by November. Hopefully ...
Wow... a neon yellow helmet. Yeah, you'd be safe then. Anyone in a car behind you might go blind, but YOU would be safe. *lol* That is just a scary mental image.

Yes, the Shoei are nice. And yeah, went for protection.

Okay, reached for colors, then judged protection and kept looking until I found the protection in the right color. (I'm stubborn that way. I KNOW they make things in blue, I just have to FIND them!)
Old 10-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #75
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Okay, reached for colors, then judged protection and kept looking until I found the protection in the right color. (I'm stubborn that way. I KNOW they make things in blue, I just have to FIND them!)
Blue should be a very common color. Let us know what you are still looking for and I am sure we can help find it somewhere.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #76
Number5

Member Garage

Quote:
Blue should be a very common color. Let us know what you are still looking for and I am sure we can help find it somewhere.
No worries, but thanks

I'm down to gloves and boots left to get. Boots will probably be basic black, gloves, eh, I'll find something. My prob with gloves is that my fingers apparently fit a larger hand than mine. I put on gloves, they seem to fit, and then I realize I'd have to lob 1/4" off to make them fit properly.

I used to go through this problem when finding winter gloves.

At least there are what.. a few thousand pair of gloves I can try?
Old 10-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #77
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
No worries, but thanks

I'm down to gloves and boots left to get.

I loved my Joe Rocket GPX. They have the stitching on the outside which was a crucial factor for me and are very soft and smooth. They held up well in the crash. I only had a big bruise on my right hand which eventually went away. The bruise was exactly the size of the plastic armor on the top. I'd hate to think what I may have had broken without it. I'll get them again.

Crash039

Make sure you get GOOD boots. Mine got shredded and caused me to have a big gash in my foot and a 3rd degree friction burn from whatever scrubbed them off my foot. I had the Sidi Jasmine boots. I will get Sidi again but more like the Sidi Vertigo Corsas. I did like the Jasmines because they were super comfy, made especially for women and looked somewhat normal when walking into work.

Crash013 web
Old 10-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #78
Number5

Member Garage

Quote:
I loved my Joe Rocket GPX. They have the stitching on the outside which was a crucial factor for me and are very soft and smooth. They held up well in the crash. I only had a big bruise on my right hand which eventually went away. The bruise was exactly the size of the plastic armor on the top. I'd hate to think what I may have had broken without it. I'll get them again.

Make sure you get GOOD boots. Mine got shredded and caused me to have a big gash in my foot and a 3rd degree friction burn from whatever scrubbed them off my foot. I had the Sidi Jasmine boots. I will get Sidi again but more like the Sidi Vertigo Corsas. I did like the Jasmines because they were super comfy, made especially for women and looked somewhat normal when walking into work.
Wow, those gloves look like a rabid dog was at them.. and the boots... ouch! *comfort* Not hard to see why you're not riding again yet. Glad you were protected!

The jacket we got for me is Joe Rocket... I'll look at the gloves next time we're out. I like the way the jacket fits. (Not too big, not too small, JUUUUST right.) Maybe they'll have gloves that'll fit better than what I've been looking at.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:01 PM   #79
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

There is lots of good bikes out there from sv,s to 500 and 650, I love powerhouse bikes as well I have 2 busas and a Ducati 999 and a Ducati 1098, BUT I still have a blast on my wifes ninja 250, and seriously thinkin about gettin a new one, I definately would if they were fuel injected and had slightly more power and better brakes fosho The whole idea of gettin a smaller bike is to learn on a less powerfull bike that MIGHT not kill U, aqnd then graduate slooowly to more power Could save ur life
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:24 PM   #80
Number5

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN'DUC View Post
There is lots of good bikes out there from sv,s to 500 and 650, I love powerhouse bikes as well I have 2 busas and a Ducati 999 and a Ducati 1098, BUT I still have a blast on my wifes ninja 250, and seriously thinkin about gettin a new one, I definately would if they were fuel injected and had slightly more power and better brakes fosho The whole idea of gettin a smaller bike is to learn on a less powerfull bike that MIGHT not kill U, aqnd then graduate slooowly to more power Could save ur life
See, I'm not even thinking about a 650 yet.

Someone else sent me off to the post about why not to get a 600. I wasn't looking that far up the foodchain! *lol*

Okay... I admit, I'm thinking about the 'Busa... but that's so far in the future it's not even amusing to me. Heartbreaking, but not amusing. *chuckle*

I was just wondering what other bikes people really had for their first bike. What did/didn't they like about them? That sort of thing. I'm gathering info. Trying to look at all the things that I don't know to look at yet.

Glad to hear that even an experienced rider has fun with the Ninja.

The bike I was looking at originally (the one I fell in love with ages ago) is the Katana 750. Everyone take a breath... I already know that's gonna be too much to start on! (See, smart! Slow sometimes, but smart! )

There is however, the GS500... *ponder*ponder*

Yeah, it woulda been easier if I said "Hey, I'm looking for a good starter bike, what do you guys think is the better place to start a, b, or c?" But then I wouldn't have heard half the things I've been told today.

So, lets pick up again this way...

What was YOUR first bike? What did/didn't you like about it? Would you recommend it for anyone else? If you were just starting out, knowing what you know now, would you still get it?

I've heard about a couple of bikes, but isn't there more than one bike that's good for a beginner?

Oh, and I love the look of the sport bikes. The few times I've been up on one with a friend, I've just ADORED it. I'm not saying I have to start there. I know the first bike isn't the last, and it's for learning... so if anyone knows another bike that maybe isn't a sport bike, but has good pros for a beginner... tell me! This is why I ask!

Advertisement