MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #41
wever411
Gunt Puncher

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 3 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number5 View Post
Tell me how to post a freaking picture here and I'll gladly provide proof!

Though, Pat doesn't seem to think I'm cute. He thinks I'm all hot & stuff. I think it's just the tatt washing the sense out of his brain.
so did you figure it out? Use either photobucket or other external photo sharing site or use click on the paper clip symbol on the Go advanced page.

now let's see
2001 cbr 929rr no start ign switch broken what wire goes were so i can start it rparker1978 How To's and Q & A's 9 09-01-2014 11:50 PM
Where to start bshafer Vintage / Cafe Racers 3 05-11-2013 08:22 AM
maybe one of our sponsors can start this? PimpRice The Circus 5 02-20-2013 06:50 AM
Where do you start? anthny2040 Taking it to the Track 43 02-19-2009 01:08 AM
Not trying to start anything paniro187 Stunters Lounge 65 06-24-2007 10:01 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2007, 02:19 PM   #42
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wever411 View Post
so did you figure it out? Use either photobucket or other external photo sharing site or use click on the paper clip symbol on the Go advanced page.

now let's see
just look at her my space you lazy

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #43
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

http://www.myspace.com/eleiren

where is mckee?
Old 10-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #44
wever411
Gunt Puncher

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 3 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmckee View Post
just look at her my space you lazy
doesn't work here man
Old 10-02-2007, 02:25 PM   #45
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wever411 View Post
doesn't work here man
ah thats right forgive me

where is mckee?
Old 10-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #46
Number5

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
the 50cc is just a small dirt bike. most people buy them to stunt on, but i also have one that i ride around my apt complex for kicks... top speed is about 40mph
Again... a thought to keep in the back of my mind here... not really planning to be all stunt crazy, but... ya never know. Wouldn't be all bad to have something little to toy around on without death being the result even after I learn to ride something larger.

Quote:
used, new one deperciate and you can get a of a deal on a year old 250 And, what is "good" mileage on a used 250? 5K - 15K miles. the MSF class uses these and runs the out of them, they are toughI've seen the prices on them, so I have an idea there, but the mileage seems to vary.
I've heard some good things about these bikes. It's why I'm considering it at all. I hate unreliable machines. *takes notes on the mileage*

Quote:
it's not about the cool until you know how to handle it. anybody that knows bikes will not think little of you because you chose to start with something you knew you could control
Well, yeah... but ultimately... it is, once you know. Thought that was implied there... that and I was being a little silly in the middle of the serious.

As for something I can control, that's why I'm here asking. Pat has his bike, and I can sit on it ok. He's talked about teaching me some, but so help me I go near it I cringe in fear that I'll scratch it and he'll disown me! *chuckle* I'm just not gonna learn until I have my own. I want to be safe, yes... absolutely. My kids may not live with me anymore, but I'm still Mommy and I still have to get home in one piece so I can be there for them.

I also ... well, to be perfectly blunt about it... I can't *afford* to be buying bike after bike. So, no, in that instance, so long as I'm still looking at a starter bike, swapping out bikes every few months isn't practical for me. *shrug* Just the way that cookie crumbled, not good or bad, just a part of life, ya know?

I also don't want to go out and hunt down the bike of my dreams and then tear the side off of it... or myself for that matter!

Quote:
it's more about miles i think, but i would say a minimum of 6 - 10K miles
Yeah, I think I've heard that about the miles.

Quote:
but there is... you don't need a big bike that you'll just drop, tear up, or get yourself injured on, better to start small and learn properly then sell it to someone else to start on and upgrade, IMO.
Responded to above...

Quote:
hassle? it seems you just don't want to put forth the effort to do it
If I didn't want to put forth the effort you guys would be asking one another who the girl was who died in the wreck after I got out there and screwed up on something that was way out of my league at the moment.... not answering questions so that I have more info on this... right?

No need to act like that about it.

I was, as I said, being a bit silly, which is why I used the parenthesis, and trying to save a little face there and not have to admit that well, this is a major major major purchase for me. I've been saving for months, and I'm still not really there yet. I will be, but still... swapping up bikes after only a few months isn't really feasible. I don't want to end up dead. I also don't want to get bored to tears by a bike after having wanted one for almost 20 yrs. and not be able to do anything about it, ya know? Honest flat fact is, whatever I buy, I'm probably looking at riding for at least a year and probably two. So, again, I want to learn, but I'm looking at an investment and a half here. A bike I could learn on and hang on to for a year or two without feeling like I'm dying for the next step up is what I'm looking for. Without, of course, the loss of life or limb.

Does that make any better sense?

Quote:
inexperience is much better on a 250 than a bigger bike... when newbs get scared on a big bike and accidentally give it gas, they'll loop the bike, a 250 won't do that. if you get a bigger bike you may never get the opportunity to learn through the inexperience
That is a good point, and the reason I'm asking about it now.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #47
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Get a busa FTW
Old 10-02-2007, 02:36 PM   #48
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
A bike I could learn on and hang on to for a year or two without feeling like I'm dying for the next step up is what I'm looking for. Without, of course, the loss of life or limb.

Does that make any better sense?
that is why i recommended a ninja 650 or the sv 650. great all around bike, not too much power, not too little, and very forgiving. it's easier to just say a 250 because it is tiny and VERY VERY forgiving, but if you have the maturity level and sense of self to know not to be crazy and to take it slow then you should be ok on either of the 650's
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #49
Number5

Member Garage

Quote:
i got a 50 for my gf to learn on, i ride it more than she does... once you get one you'll be wanting to play on it all the time!!! all the stuff i have told you, i have told my gf too.
I don't doubt it... and I talk to Pat a good bit about this too. He's the one that says the 250 is where I should start. He even had me sit on one in a showroom to show me that my feet go flat on the ground on it and to see what I thought of how it feels to sit on one.

He, and you, have made good points, and I actually do appreciate the input. I'm asking here not because I don't appreciate his input, but because I know that he isn't the *most* experienced rider himself, and thought others, with more experience, might have something to add to the list of things I'm keeping in mind. I wasn't wrong.

(Though I'm not sure the requests for pictures have so much bearing, eh? *chuckle*teasing*)

This IS why I'm asking now. I probably won't actually lay out the money until December. Research, listen, get info, feedback, and yes, even opinion now, so I can make a better choice than if I ran out on impulse. Find what'll keep me in a safety range while learning, and hopefully keep up once I have learned.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #50
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37823

where is mckee?
Old 10-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #51
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

if your really dead set on a bigger bike look into Honda CBR f3's they hav plenty of pep for experienced riders, low power until you get into the upper rpm range, very comfy and it's a honda it won't drop in value
Old 10-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #52
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Two girls with the same questions in just a few days? I should go ahead and make some canned answers for stuff like this.

I started out with 250 and after 6000 miles I upgraded. I also love fast horses (do you have horses?), fast cars and can tell you that a bike is a bit different. If you ask for a big powerful bike, it is like putting a noob horseback rider on a Thoroughbred race horse and say, "just be calm and tell it to go easy". Rrrrrrright.

If you think a 250 is a bit overkill, then go with a Ninja 500, GS500 or a SV650 (not SV650 S) and you should be okay. Remember, you will upgrade. In riding school, you get the pony first, then the old school horse before you get the 'nice' horses. Same here. Plus, beginner bikes sell good. I made $100 on mine when I sold it.

btw- In the end, I had no problem keeping up with the 250, at least not in the turns. It was just on the straights where they all took off, but they'll wait on you, trust me. I still don't have the confidence on the big bike that I had on the 250.

Some girls who start on big bikes and drop them a few times lose confidence quickly and then quit riding altogether. I am not sure how tall you are and all but I am sure you get a lot more confidence faster on a 250/500 than on a bigger bike.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #53
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):

if you are waiting until december you may want to wait for the new ninja 250's, they look sooo much better.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #54
Number5

Member Garage

Quote:
that is why i recommended a ninja 650 or the sv 650. great all around bike, not too much power, not too little, and very forgiving. it's easier to just say a 250 because it is tiny and VERY VERY forgiving, but if you have the maturity level and sense of self to know not to be crazy and to take it slow then you should be ok on either of the 650's
If anything, for all my talk, I go slower during the learning stages than most people do... and that has been with learning anything. I want to know with perfect clarity and precision just exactly what is what before I go to the next step. So, maturity and sense of self... check.

I have a while to choose. I have a while to think about it.

We'll see what comes out in the long run.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:43 PM   #55
Number5

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Get a busa FTW
SHH! Don't tease me! I know better!

Doesn't stop the wanting... but dang it.. I just KNOW better. Those things looked like too much sitting STILL! *sigh*

But dayum... one of those... once I realllly knew how to ride it... *sighs and looks lovesick* I wouldn't need a boyfriend anymore... *lol*

Though.. there may be a boyfriend on the market if he goes out and gets one without me like he threatens to. *lol*
Old 10-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #56
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):

Quote:
SHH! Don't tease me! I know better!

Doesn't stop the wanting... but dang it.. I just KNOW better. Those things looked like too much sitting STILL! *sigh*

But dayum... one of those... once I realllly knew how to ride it... *sighs and looks lovesick* I wouldn't need a boyfriend anymore... *lol*

Though.. there may be a boyfriend on the market if he goes out and gets one without me like he threatens to. *lol*
i do know a lady that started on a zx14... she has taken to it pretty well, but that is against the odds
Old 10-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #57
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
if you are waiting until december you may want to wait for the new ninja 250's, they look sooo much better.
As a first bike, I personally would recommend a used bike. You lose too much value leaving the showroom floor and you will most likely drop it and then the loss of value is even worse. Get a beaten up bike that can handle the noob abuse.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:46 PM   #58
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia View Post
As a first bike, I personally would recommend a used bike. You lose too much value leaving the showroom floor and you will most likely drop it and then the loss of value is even worse. Get a beaten up bike that can handle the noob abuse.
agreed, but if she wants the 250 with the looks, that is about the only way to get it. but like was stated earlier, the 250 is for learning, not looking "cool"
Old 10-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #59
Number5

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia View Post
I started out with 250 and after 6000 miles I upgraded. I also love fast horses (do you have horses?), fast cars and can tell you that a bike is a bit different. If you ask for a big powerful bike, it is like putting a noob horseback rider on a Thoroughbred race horse and say, "just be calm and tell it to go easy". Rrrrrrright.

If you think a 250 is a bit overkill, then go with a Ninja 500, GS500 or a SV650 (not SV650 S) and you should be okay. Remember, you will upgrade. In riding school, you get the pony first, then the old school horse before you get the 'nice' horses. Same here. Plus, beginner bikes sell good. I made $100 on mine when I sold it.

btw- In the end, I had no problem keeping up with the 250, at least not in the turns. It was just on the straights where they all took off, but they'll wait on you, trust me. I still don't have the confidence on the big bike that I had on the 250.

Some girls who start on big bikes and drop them a few times lose confidence quickly and then quit riding altogether. I am not sure how tall you are and all but I am sure you get a lot more confidence faster on a 250/500 than on a bigger bike.
Thanks for the input, and no, I have no desire to be the idiot on the thoroughbred who thinks the horse will listen when you try to stop it. *chuckle* I think you get where I'm coming from though. Don't want to get something TOO small, don't want to be dragged around by something too big.

(*lol* I feel like freakin' GOLDILOCKS!)

As for height, 5'5" AKA same height or a smidge taller than most women, not as tall as some.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #60
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
agreed, but if she wants the 250 with the looks, that is about the only way to get it. but like was stated earlier, the 250 is for learning, not looking "cool"
Yeah, talking about looking cool. When I started, I looked like a parrot. I wanted to be seen in traffic. I had a green ninja, red jacket, yellow/black helmet with a blue tail bag.

I wouldn't mind getting one of the new 250s now. I sorta miss mine in a way sometimes and the new ones look really hot.

Advertisement