MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #21
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
i would even suggest to spend a couple hundred dollars and get a 50cc bike... it'll teach you more than you realize about motocycle handling. i'm sure many people here would second that
lets see you can get the new ninja 250 (kick bike)
AND a pretty much new, (if not new) crf50 for less then the price of a good used 600

if i was just started out id pick the 250 and the 50 hands down

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2001 cbr 929rr no start ign switch broken what wire goes were so i can start it rparker1978 How To's and Q & A's 9 09-01-2014 11:50 PM
Where to start bshafer Vintage / Cafe Racers 3 05-11-2013 08:22 AM
maybe one of our sponsors can start this? PimpRice The Circus 5 02-20-2013 06:50 AM
Where do you start? anthny2040 Taking it to the Track 43 02-19-2009 01:08 AM
Not trying to start anything paniro187 Stunters Lounge 65 06-24-2007 10:01 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #22
Number5

Member Garage

Quote:
proof?
Tell me how to post a freaking picture here and I'll gladly provide proof!

Though, Pat doesn't seem to think I'm cute. He thinks I'm all hot & stuff. I think it's just the tatt washing the sense out of his brain.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:49 PM   #23
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number5 View Post
Really?

*sigh* I hate being a noob. Don't wanna be left home when the big dogs go to play... don't wanna run with the bog dogs either...

*smirk* Wanna leave the big dogs in the dust behind me.
really. the 50's are fun, you learn counter steering and comfort leaning into corners, not braking while leaning in a corner. it's really amazing how much similar a 50 is to a larger bike. there is a reason stunters say to learn on a 50 before the big bikes... same goes for just riding in general
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #24
wever411
Gunt Puncher

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 3 years

Quote:
Really?

*sigh* I hate being a noob. Don't wanna be left home when the big dogs go to play... don't wanna run with the bog dogs either...

*smirk* Wanna leave the big dogs in the dust behind me.
we have a feisty one here...asking about what to start on then talking about leaving the big boys in the dust...you should fit right in.

get a used 250 and learn on it for a little while, sell it for almost what you got it for, then move on to something bigger.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:54 PM   #25
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

whooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

hold up were talking about a female here?!

oh , get the 250 and nothing any bigger

ever

where is mckee?
Old 10-02-2007, 01:55 PM   #26
Number5

Member Garage

*drags the thread back on topic*

Okay, so a 250 isn't the undersized wimp I keep seeing. I can get that concept.

I might be able to handle something a bit larger. (I'd probably decide that AFTER the class anyway, I'm just thinking ahead right now. If I couldn't handle the 50 in a class, I would NOT want something bigger than a 250 to start riding on regularly.)

The next question is...

New, or used? And, what is "good" mileage on a used 250? I've seen the prices on them, so I have an idea there, but the mileage seems to vary.

Also, if I went with a 250, and rode daily, which I plan... (Come on, how cool is it to ride the bike to work... it's not about the gas savings, it's about the cool. We can be honest here) ... roughly how long would I have before I'd be ready to upgrade? 3 months? 6? A year?

A big factor in the decision about which bike to get is going to be practicality. There is nothing practical or even good sense about dropping money on a bike you're going to sell and replace in 6 months or less, IMO. It's too much money out and too much hassle in, when I'm thinking caution and practice can probably make up for inexperience until the inexperience is worked through. (That advice a few yrs ago from a friend who raced.)

And yes, I actually am paying attention to the serious comments. I'm also goofing off because I have NO work to do today and I'm bored to tears.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:56 PM   #27
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmckee View Post

ever

maybe she should just get a lilmckee... that's smaller than a 250!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 01:57 PM   #28
Number5

Member Garage

Quote:

ever
Oh funny funny there fella.

Watch out... I'll remember that one. And when the day comes, you'll be apologizing. *chuckle*

My dad used to race Nascar. I'm not your "normal" female driver. Not even close. I don't intend to start acting lazy enough to fit into the "female driver" category on a bike either. *grin*
Old 10-02-2007, 01:59 PM   #29
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Get a dirt bike!

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #30
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
its true

Quote:
Oh funny funny there fella.

Watch out... I'll remember that one. And when the day comes, you'll be apologizing. *chuckle*

My dad used to race Nascar. I'm not your "normal" female driver. Not even close. I don't intend to start acting lazy enough to fit into the "female driver" category on a bike either. *grin*
your dad raced nascar so now....

...you can ride a bike?

i dont get it

it was a joke, theres quite a few good female riders on here. Granted there all track riders, nevertheless goooooood freaking riders

where is mckee?
Old 10-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #31
Number5

Member Garage

Quote:
*roflmao!!*

Does he do dishes and housework? If he does, I might be able to talk Pat into letting me have one. It's not terribly likely, but... maybe...
Old 10-02-2007, 02:03 PM   #32
Number5

Member Garage

Quote:
its true

your dad raced nascar so now....

...you can ride a bike?

i dont get it
No, not my dad raced nascar so I can ride a bike. My dad raced Nascar so I learned to drive like the guys do... not like my freaking mother! *roflmao* that translates to... not afraid to actually get on a rode and GO SOMEWHERE.

Quote:
it was a joke, theres quite a few good female riders on here. Granted there all track riders, nevertheless goooooood freaking riders
I know it was a joke. Just serving it back to ya.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:04 PM   #33
wever411
Gunt Puncher

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 3 years

definitely get used for a first bike, especially if you're not going to have it for too long.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:04 PM   #34
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):

Quote:
*drags the thread back on topic*

Okay, so a 250 isn't the undersized wimp I keep seeing. I can get that concept.

I might be able to handle something a bit larger. (I'd probably decide that AFTER the class anyway, I'm just thinking ahead right now. If I couldn't handle the 50 in a class, the 50cc is just a small dirt bike. most people buy them to stunt on, but i also have one that i ride around my apt complex for kicks... top speed is about 40mphI would NOT want something bigger than a 250 to start riding on regularly.)

The next question is...

New, or used? used, new one deperciate and you can get a of a deal on a year old 250 And, what is "good" mileage on a used 250? 5K - 15K miles. the MSF class uses these and runs the out of them, they are toughI've seen the prices on them, so I have an idea there, but the mileage seems to vary.

Also, if I went with a 250, and rode daily, which I plan... (Come on, how cool is it to ride the bike to work... it's not about the gas savings, it's about the cool. it's not about the cool until you know how to handle it. anybody that knows bikes will not think little of you because you chose to start with something you knew you could control We can be honest here) ... roughly how long would I have before I'd be ready to upgrade? 3 months? 6? A year?it's more about miles i think, but i would say a minimum of 6 - 10K miles

A big factor in the decision about which bike to get is going to be practicality. There is nothing practical or even good sense about dropping money on a bike you're going to sell and replace in 6 months or lessbut there is... you don't need a big bike that you'll just drop, tear up, or get yourself injured on, better to start small and learn properly then sell it to someone else to start on and upgrade, IMO. It's too much money out and too much hassle inhassle? it seems you just don't want to put forth the effort to do it, when I'm thinking caution and practice can probably make up for inexperience until the inexperience is worked through.inexperience is much better on a 250 than a bigger bike... when newbs get scared on a big bike and accidentally give it gas, they'll loop the bike, a 250 won't do that. if you get a bigger bike you may never get the opportunity to learn through the inexperience (That advice a few yrs ago from a friend who raced.)

And yes, I actually am paying attention to the serious comments. I'm also goofing off because I have NO work to do today and I'm bored to tears.
answers in bold
Old 10-02-2007, 02:05 PM   #35
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
*roflmao!!*

Does he do dishes and housework? If he does, I might be able to talk Pat into letting me have one. It's not terribly likely, but... maybe...
lol

my girl makes me do the dishes before bed :/:

where is mckee?
Old 10-02-2007, 02:06 PM   #36
Number5

Member Garage

Quote:
really. the 50's are fun, you learn counter steering and comfort leaning into corners, not braking while leaning in a corner. it's really amazing how much similar a 50 is to a larger bike. there is a reason stunters say to learn on a 50 before the big bikes... same goes for just riding in general
Hmm.. I'll give this some thought. The goal is not only to outdistance everyone, but to do it flawlessly.

I just don't know that my budget would love me if I were swapping up bikes every few months.

Though... not much for stunt stuff myself, but if a 50 is good to learn on, might not be all bad to get one and keep it for that purpose when I get a wild hair... yeah?
Old 10-02-2007, 02:09 PM   #37
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
Hmm.. I'll give this some thought. The goal is not only to outdistance everyone, but to do it flawlessly.

I just don't know that my budget would love me if I were swapping up bikes every few months.

Though... not much for stunt stuff myself, but if a 50 is good to learn on, might not be all bad to get one and keep it for that purpose when I get a wild hair... yeah?
right there is your first flaw

theres nothing wrong with being the best

but you should not try to prove yourself, youll only get hurt.

where is mckee?
Old 10-02-2007, 02:09 PM   #38
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):

Quote:

I just don't know that my budget would love me if I were swapping up bikes every few months.don't sawp every few months but keep the 250 for a while, maybe do a trackday with it, ride it a little more, then get the bike you want. by then you'll know the fundamentals of riding and just use it on a larger, less forgiving scale

i got a 50 for my gf to learn on, i ride it more than she does... once you get one you'll be wanting to play on it all the time!!! all the stuff i have told you, i have told my gf too.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:14 PM   #39
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):

make sure you check this out, ride it for 10K miles and you'd still get $1800 for it...http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37352
Old 10-02-2007, 02:16 PM   #40
Swift E

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

I've got a trackbike for sale that you can learn on ;p

Advertisement