MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
Number5

Member Garage

Question What to start out on?

So, I'll be taking a class this month and getting my license shortly afterwards. Then, it's all about finding "the" bike.

I'm being told that I should get a Ninja 250. I love the sports bikes. I want a Katana. However, I've never driven a motorcycle before. I've ridden more than I can count, but never had to handle one myself. That doesn't worry me so much really. I can learn and I know how to be careful. I wouldn't even take it out of the parking lot until I felt safe enough doing so.

The thing is, I *love* power. Powerful horses, powerful cars, etc. A 250 seems about like setting me up with a chihuahua when I want a mastiff. :/:

What thoughts do you more experienced riders have about bikes for complete noobs?
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2001 cbr 929rr no start ign switch broken what wire goes were so i can start it rparker1978 How To's and Q & A's 9 09-01-2014 11:50 PM
Where to start bshafer Vintage / Cafe Racers 3 05-11-2013 08:22 AM
maybe one of our sponsors can start this? PimpRice The Circus 5 02-20-2013 06:50 AM
Where do you start? anthny2040 Taking it to the Track 43 02-19-2009 01:08 AM
Not trying to start anything paniro187 Stunters Lounge 65 06-24-2007 10:01 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2007, 01:09 PM   #2
Fuzzy018

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2009 HD Dyna - Super Glide

Look at this.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37352

You can always upgrade bikes after you gain experience.
Fuzzy018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:10 PM   #3
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Read this http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2576
Old 10-02-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

250 ninja, or i would be willing to bet you'd still be ok on a ninja 650... it's not as unforgiving as the 6r. the throttle is much less resonsive than the 6r but still has more power than the 250 and seemed to me like it's be pretty forgiving. it's in the same class as the sv 650, i just think it looked slightly more sporty
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:16 PM   #5
Number5

Member Garage

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy018 View Post
Look at this.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37352

You can always upgrade bikes after you gain experience.
Yeah, I saw that ad. I'm not quite ready to buy *just* yet, but very soon I think.

I'd feel really bad though. If I got that one I'd have to have Pat take me out to get it and let me ride it home. The poor guy would sell his bike to a woman... a woman who wants to ride WITH her guy.

Talk about rubbing salt in the wound, yeah? *chuckle*

Heck.. maybe that would be a good idea anyway then... indulge my random streak of sadism....
Old 10-02-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
Number5

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
250 ninja, or i would be willing to bet you'd still be ok on a ninja 650... it's not as unforgiving as the 6r. the throttle is much less resonsive than the 6r but still has more power than the 250 and seemed to me like it's be pretty forgiving. it's in the same class as the sv 650, i just think it looked slightly more sporty
*adds a suggestion to the list*

And dude... you totaled a 'busa? *choke*sob* You shouldn't be allowed to have another one. Give it to me! I'll keep it safe!
Old 10-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #7
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

The new 250 looks sick!

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:20 PM   #8
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number5 View Post

And dude... you totaled a 'busa? *choke*sob* You shouldn't be allowed to have another one. Give it to me! I'll keep it safe!
only if you knew the whole story...

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:23 PM   #9
Number5

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmckee View Post
Something tells me this is bad.

You gonna tell or leave me hanging?
Old 10-02-2007, 01:23 PM   #10
wever411
Gunt Puncher

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 3 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmckee View Post
girl drivers are bad
Old 10-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #11
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):

Quote:

actually if you want to be technical about it, my gf totaled my busa... while i was on it... she rear ended me with her car at a red light at about 40 mph...

i have 9 years of street riding experience and about 50K miles during that time, so just blow off what i suggested earlier, i don't know t

Last edited by sbfuller; 10-02-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:32 PM   #12
Number5

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
The new 250 looks sick!
I'm not sure what I think of it just yet, myself. I'm all in with the powerhouse bikes. The 250's are... well... there's no other way to say it...

They look so SMALL!

Old 10-02-2007, 01:36 PM   #13
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
I'm not sure what I think of it just yet, myself. I'm all in with the powerhouse bikes. The 250's are... well... there's no other way to say it...

They look so SMALL!

What exactly are you about the power house bikes? You did say you have never handled a bike on your own.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:37 PM   #14
Number5

Member Garage

Quote:
actually if you want to be technical about it, my gf totaled my busa... while i was on it... she rear ended me with her car at a red light at about 40 mph...
OMG... I have had one time where I thought I was going to hit Pat when he was up on his bike and I was in the car behind him. I never EVER want to feel that horrified again. That sick feeling had nothing to do with the bike and everything to do with knowing what a car can do to a person. Thankfully, I had more room than I thought, so it wasn't even close, but ugh... don't want that experience again! (Brat even laughed at me when we got home and I told him why I looked like I'd seen a ghost!)

Anyway sorry to hit a sore topic, I was just teasing.

No need to act like I'd throw your suggestions out the window though, is there? sheeesh... 'sall cool.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:40 PM   #15
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):

Quote:
OMG... I have had one time where I thought I was going to hit Pat when he was up on his bike and I was in the car behind him. I never EVER want to feel that horrified again. That sick feeling had nothing to do with the bike and everything to do with knowing what a car can do to a person. Thankfully, I had more room than I thought, so it wasn't even close, but ugh... don't want that experience again! (Brat even laughed at me when we got home and I told him why I looked like I'd seen a ghost!)

Anyway sorry to hit a sore topic, I was just teasing.

No need to act like I'd throw your suggestions out the window though, is there? sheeesh... 'sall cool.
not a sore topic, it just seemed you came in blaming me for totaling a busa when i offer my 2 cents... i hate the thought of wrecking a bike. just make sure you know the whole story before you assume about someone's riding skills. i'm not mad though, we're
Old 10-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #16
Number5

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
What exactly are you about the power house bikes? You did say you have never handled a bike on your own.
Oh, I haven't. I'm not stupid enough to go out and buy a power bike right off either. But for love of ... someone help me find a bike that'll be a step in that direction so I can learn, ya know?

What about them am I ?

Everything? *laugh*
Old 10-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #17
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):

i would even suggest to spend a couple hundred dollars and get a 50cc bike... it'll teach you more than you realize about motocycle handling. i'm sure many people here would second that
Old 10-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #18
Number5

Member Garage

Quote:
not a sore topic, it just seemed you came in blaming me for totaling a busa when i offer my 2 cents... i hate the thought of wrecking a bike. just make sure you know the whole story before you assume about someone's riding skills. i'm not mad though, we're
Cool.

Just take me with a grain of salt. I'm a smartass. A cute smartass, but a smartass all the same.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #19
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Cool.

A cute smartass, .
proof?
Old 10-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #20
Number5

Member Garage

Talking

Quote:
i would even suggest to spend a couple hundred of you could and get a 50cc bike... it'll teach you more than you realize about motocycle handling. i'm sure many people here would second that
Really?

*sigh* I hate being a noob. Don't wanna be left home when the big dogs go to play... don't wanna run with the bog dogs either...

*smirk* Wanna leave the big dogs in the dust behind me.

Advertisement