MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 05:57 PM   #41
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
Im with Patrick on this one, the track is way too outdated for bigger bikes. I dont understand why the old lady did not take the offer and let them build a new track. Not only is safety a concery but the track chews through tires like no tomorrow. With a brand new set of tires on they get chewed to so quick. Its now a matter of time to say remember Oak hill for me.

Also the thing about TWS (Texas World Speedway) is that they have fixed thier problems unlike OHR that has done nothing to make any effores to update safety. Im not going to get into the whole discussion of where is all the money going.

I love the CMRA is is a great organization run by some awesome people, but Oak hill is my only turn off from the whole situation.

Im not blaming my injury on the track its self, it could of happened any where else, or worst case is that it could of happened in some other corner and i got hurt way worse. My decision has been made on my safety and not wanting to see my own friends getting hurting worse they they should of been.

I also think this whole issue is down to the saying "You either love oak hill or hate it". Id put my self in the spot of loving it and hating it. I like the track because its a really fun and technical course and hate it because of safety concerns and the track falling apart with not much being done.

Last edited by Somebody1010; 10-04-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Somebody1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CMRA/TMGP Crossover event at OHR!!! houseofpaint Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 10 05-26-2009 09:26 AM
CMRA OHR Thanks!!! Dr. Gonzo Taking it to the Track 28 02-26-2009 12:51 AM
CMRA OHR Carpool? ange062 Taking it to the Track 1 02-16-2009 03:03 PM
OHR Weekend so far..... del240z Taking it to the Track 40 02-27-2008 05:48 PM
OHR TMGP/CMRA roll call 7/7/07 CarbonJames Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 50 07-07-2007 06:22 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2007, 10:14 PM   #42
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Don't get me wrong, like I said earlier, I pretty much agree with Patrick (and others) too.

I'm also not down-playing the decisions people make to not ride there for a concern about safety- I made that same decision about NPR, even though I kinda like that track, it's just not safe... at all... imho of course.

I do think it's silly that there are people who are complaining about OHR and TWS (Texas World Speedway), yet they want us to race at tracks that have safety issues that may be as bad or worse, with some "perks" that make that track more appealing to some (not pointing fingers at anyone, especially Patrick with whom I've had many discussions with about safety and racing, and he knows where he and I stand on those issues).

Trust me, there aren't many people who would rather see OHR either rebuilt or fixed in place. I think a re-pave would be historic in it's own right, unfortunately, I don't think that would ever happen. The first I've ever heard of the offer to build a new track for the family is from Buck's post, so I don't know if that's fact or rumor (I guess Buck would have to qualify that claim). Not to say that it didn't happen, I just hope that if it is true, they had some good reasons to turn it down. My guess is that if it's true, then she didn't really care too much about racing, and that only the land and actual track itself meant anything to her from her husband.

Anyway, I respect people's decisions to not race somewhere, I wouldn't question their decisions. I guess my point was that I think quiet boycotts and similar actions are counter-productive and silly with an organization like ours. There are better ways to effect change.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:43 PM   #43
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Well, when a racing organization continues to race at a track that is unsafe, especially when it's evident that it is and has been brought to the organizations attention ( as if it wasn't already readily apparent, Rhino lining so the track will "hold together"? ) then a boycott may be the only way to get the point across.
I don't consider it "whining", I consider it realistically looking at a track that is regularly seriously injuring and killing people and speaking my mind about it.

You're welcome to your opinion without me "labeling" you "reckless".

I for one will not have either my bike or my team on that track again.
I didn't see this post, or I would've responded to it earlier. I think you know where I stand on this subject, and you also (should) know that I wasn't calling you "cowardly or whining". You should also know that if I thought you were, I would call you out personally (not on the internet), but face to face in discussion like we have done in the past. So don't take it personally, I know you are not the quiet minority who would rather cower behind the scenes and talk trash about the organization or it's policies- I know you bring that out to the fore-front and speak your mind to the BOD and Staff.

My comment was not intended to label anyone, unless the "shoe fits" so to speak.

I won't race there either, but I will continue to ride it and practice there, just like I have on some other "un-safe" tracks. I make those decisions, and I don't care what anyone else thinks about it. I feel the same way about NPR, and I won't even practice on that track- our team made that decision last year before it was canceled for the hurricane.

It doesn't make one bit of difference to me whether anyone goes back to OHR or not. My bread isn't buttered there, if it were gone tomorrow, I would be sad to see it go, but it wouldn't affect my life.

There have been a couple of recent extremely tragic events happen at this track. It's natural for people to react the way they have after that, and then with a poor weekend for many riders at that track, it's even more expected for a big reaction. But let's face things, the first couple of races at OHR didn't have these issues that came last weekend (except the frigid February event...), last weekend was a bad weekend for traction for whatever reason (maybe the karters sprayed oil all over it or something). Happening right on the heals of a tragic death, and with another death in the past couple of years, it's obvious what the reaction from the racers will be.

As I mentioned previously- I think the run-off leaves a lot to be desired. I don't buy in to the "it eats tires" or "it has poor traction" bit at a track, because lots of tracks have those issues. But when you couple the issue of traction with bad run-off, yeah, bad combination. I wouldn't want to go 90% with that combination.

I'd bet that the CMRA is having the same considerations and I'd bet the BOD is and will be meeting on this very subject. I would encourage racers to voice their opinions about the track and recent events there, and to let them know they are not willing to race there any more or whatever. I would also encourage you all to get your team-mates or racing buddies to voice their opinions to them as well if it's that important to you. Make those decisions based on realistic reasons, and make it because it's what you believe too.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:23 AM   #44
MacMan
S. McNamara LSTD Mob Boss

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 KTM950SM, 1996 Harley-Davidson FXDL

Future CMRA tracks

I talked with people that were there when Drew died at OHR.
He highsided and broke his neck. The experienced folks that looked at his rear tire could not believe he was riding it.
Very sad and was it avoidable? We will never know. The incident in turn one recently that cost that man his life was a freak accident. He lowsided at a slow speed and slid off the track head first up the small depression in the run off and flipped over and broke his neck. He was riding a Ninja 250.

OHR has for a long time insured the financial survival of the CMRA. It makes money so the club can operate at tracks where they lose money.
I agree that for the most part that track has outlived it's use for modern racing machines and the safety of their riders. The BOD in my opinion is looking into the long term picture and how OHR fits in it.
It's not an easy decision by any means. The CMRA members on this BBS should e mail the BOD members and voice their opinions. With ECR, LMS, and the improvements that have happened at MSRH we could have some better tracks to ride in the future. When we/LSTD got into the picture in 2001 there were 2 racing organizations fighting it out in this region and they both about went broke. LSTD brought a ton of new riders into the CMRA and it helped to put the club in better finances. Eventually the other racing org. quit holding events and the CMRA got back on their feet. The CMRA is kinda like any other track related business. Your only as good as your last event!!!
Look for some good changes in 2008. Be positive and voice your opinions to the ones that can make changes.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:44 AM   #45
ysr612

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

put me down as one how still loves Oak Hill I have not raced there since 2003 and have not raced a big bike there since 2001.

You can hurt yourself on most tracks my worst was in a WERA race in 2003 at Leeds Al and that is a state of the art track.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:26 AM   #46
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612 View Post
put me down as one how still loves Oak Hill I have not raced there since 2003 and have not raced a big bike there since 2001.

You can hurt yourself on most tracks my worst was in a WERA race in 2003 at Leeds Al and that is a state of the art track.
It has fallen apart alot since 2003, its not really suitable for big bikes any more. Minis are great there though.
Somebody1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:37 AM   #47
Rick H.I.C.
Got Surf? Snow? Track?

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
03' 600RR, 05' CR125, 88'NSR 250

I think everybody grows a dislike from a track they have a bad off at. Then you go back and do well and most of the concerns go away.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:12 AM   #48
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
OHR has for a long time insured the financial survival of the CMRA. It makes money so the club can operate at tracks where they lose money.

So are you saying that if we don't race OHR the CMRA won't survive?
At what point does survival of a race organization and rider safety become seperate issues?

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:20 AM   #49
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612 View Post
2001 was SIX years ago, so I'd say your perspective is a wee bit out of date.

Both the speed of the bikes AND the condition of the track have changed SIGNIFICANTLY since then as well.

Even in 2003 when you raced there last, they weren't putting Rhino lining down before an event just to keep the track together.

As far as letting the CMRA BOD / Race Control know how I feel about OHR; I've been communicating my concerns about OHR to them for the last 2 years since Gordons accident.

IMO, I think it's just as important for the up and coming racers to also be informed about the track and it's issues, without maybe having to find out the hard way.

My 2 cents YMMV.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com

Last edited by Patrick; 10-08-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement