MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 07:59 PM   #21
level5
moving chicane

Feedback Rating: (0)

How far was it from the spot? Have you seen a doc?
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CMRA/TMGP Crossover event at OHR!!! houseofpaint Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 10 05-26-2009 09:26 AM
CMRA OHR Thanks!!! Dr. Gonzo Taking it to the Track 28 02-26-2009 12:51 AM
CMRA OHR Carpool? ange062 Taking it to the Track 1 02-16-2009 03:03 PM
OHR Weekend so far..... del240z Taking it to the Track 40 02-27-2008 05:48 PM
OHR TMGP/CMRA roll call 7/7/07 CarbonJames Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 50 07-07-2007 06:22 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2007, 08:20 PM   #22
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
that's what i'm saying.....we were lookin everywhere for it, and no luck.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:35 PM   #23
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
it was a little ahead of where my bike was in the grass. the dr said i have a really bad contussion.
Somebody1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:50 PM   #24
level5
moving chicane

We shoulda went forward a little bit more but the cmra guys were getting agitated for not cleaning the debris out of the track.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:00 PM   #25
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody1010 View Post
it was a little ahead of where my bike was in the grass. the dr said i have a really bad contussion.
heal up quick, glad nothin was fractured, broken, or out of place. see you out at TWS (Texas World Speedway) for the next race. i won't be suprised if there were 4 or 5 waves in C superstock/superbike.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:02 PM   #26
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
I don't know if anyone here been to Eagle Canyon but it has a similar layout with today's demands.
I have, I can't wait to do a track day up there!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:03 PM   #27
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
I love it, I wish improvements could be made, but I know it won't happen. Those miners get closer and closer every time I go up there it seems.

With the cost of doing all the things you mentioned, you could build a whole new track, and nobody has that kind of money around that area, and the family would never sell anyway.

Too bad. One day, we'll be looking back and thinking, "remember Oak Hill"?
The coal company offered to build a NEW track, just up the road on land they are through with, as they are getting ready to come through. The old lady who owns it refused saying her husband built that track and there could be no replacement. Too bad someone couldn't talk some sense into her and plant a giant Oak tree in the middle dedicated to her husband. The coal folks own the mineral rights so it's just a matter of time before they dig it up. Can't say as I'll be sad to see it go. It's a fun track for training and riding, but with today's bikes with 150+HP it's just not safe to race on it anymore. The pavement is in such bad shape the CMRA has been pouring lots on Rhino hide just to keep it together for each event. Been that was for the last four years or so.

Eagle's Canyon lost a good section of thier straight with all the heavey rain this summer. Wonder how long before they get that repaired and ready to host events???
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:04 PM   #28
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody1010 View Post
Contusion will probably get worse before it gets better. I am with Tony, be glad it wasn't anything more serious.

Heal up quick. Glad you didn't get hurt worse. I hope Larry is okay as well.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #29
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley View Post
The coal company offered to build a NEW track, just up the road on land they are through with, as they are getting ready to come through. The old lady who owns it refused saying her husband built that track and there could be no replacement. Too bad someone couldn't talk some sense into her and plant a giant Oak tree in the middle dedicated to her husband. The coal folks own the mineral rights so it's just a matter of time before they dig it up. Can't say as I'll be sad to see it go. It's a fun track for training and riding, but with today's bikes with 150+HP it's just not safe to race on it anymore. The pavement is in such bad shape the CMRA has been pouring lots on Rhino hide just to keep it together for each event. Been that was for the last four years or so.

Eagle's Canyon lost a good section of thier straight with all the heavey rain this summer. Wonder how long before they get that repaired and ready to host events???
sweet story.....but i smell a BOYCOTT? haha.

unless she's filthy rich.....then nevermind. all i can say is.....property taxes starts adding up quick when you don't have no income.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:30 PM   #30
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
tony, you get any pics nefore i wrecked?
Somebody1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:40 PM   #31
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

yep....sorting them out right now. i'll post up for u in 10 min

Old 10-01-2007, 09:45 PM   #32
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Old 10-02-2007, 08:16 AM   #33
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Brandon felt like he had traction issues Sunday.

Ronnie Lunsford, someone I respect immensely, made the comment a few years back that; "I've had more friends life flighted from Oak Hill than all of the other tracks on the CMRA schedule combined."

While I have good memories of the place, I no longer think it is either safe or prudent to continue racing there.
I understand it's a huge income generator for the club, but at some point rider safety has to offset that.

I know multiple experts who feel the same way, and there's been talk of boycotting racing there next year.
We'll see.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:40 AM   #34
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I know multiple experts who feel the same way, and there's been talk of boycotting racing there next year.
We'll see.
Ever since I started (back in '87) people have been "talking". The thing is, they still come back.

I agree with the horsepower thing- the bikes have outgrown that track, at least the liter bikes have, and the middleweights are getting there too.

I'd still use it as a training track, but I won't race anything but a mini there I think.

I don't know about the offer to build a new track, but if that's factual, I would think that she doesn't really care about racing or the track. It's going to be gone anyway, so why wouldn't she want them to build a new track if she cared about racing? Not to mention, there is likely a lot more to the story with strings attached and provisions by the land owners/ coal company.

Eagle's Canyon insists that they'll be ready (I think) they said by October. I haven't checked their website in a while, but that was the last estimate. I noticed Marcus hasn't updated the Liberty web site since April... but I hear they made their financial committment quota to begin construction.

I guess we'll see what unfolds during "silly season"
Old 10-03-2007, 09:54 AM   #35
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Everyone was having grip issues. The track is just old and is loosing what grip it had. I raced on it last year, and I like the track. It is just old, and in need of repair.
All of the tire vendors and suspension people had the complaints, problem is there is only so much that can be done about it. At some point you just have to ride through it.
John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:20 PM   #36
Rick H.I.C.
Got Surf? Snow? Track?

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
03' 600RR, 05' CR125, 88'NSR 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
Everyone was having grip issues. The track is just old and is loosing what grip it had. I raced on it last year, and I like the track. It is just old, and in need of repair.
All of the tire vendors and suspension people had the complaints, problem is there is only so much that can be done about it. At some point you just have to ride through it.
John
I'm no pro but that's how I approach all tracks. Learn it, don't over drive it. You have to finish to win.
3 dfinitely has a sneak up and bite you effect. Crashing sucks.:/:
Old 10-03-2007, 11:59 PM   #37
nihaikitty
Squidette

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
'04 EX500
'08 SV650

holy , jon, you and larry both went down? I'm glad I wasn't there, or I would have probably went all gung ho jumping over fences and . call me, kid, i havent heard from you all week!
Old 10-04-2007, 09:14 AM   #38
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

Quote:
Ever since I started (back in '87) people have been "talking". The thing is, they still come back.

I agree with the horsepower thing- the bikes have outgrown that track, at least the liter bikes have, and the middleweights are getting there too.

I'd still use it as a training track, but I won't race anything but a mini there I think.

I don't know about the offer to build a new track, but if that's factual, I would think that she doesn't really care about racing or the track. It's going to be gone anyway, so why wouldn't she want them to build a new track if she cared about racing? Not to mention, there is likely a lot more to the story with strings attached and provisions by the land owners/ coal company.

Eagle's Canyon insists that they'll be ready (I think) they said by October. I haven't checked their website in a while, but that was the last estimate. I noticed Marcus hasn't updated the Liberty web site since April... but I hear they made their financial committment quota to begin construction.

I guess we'll see what unfolds during "silly season"

True, but in '87 we weren't applying Rhino lining down on the track the week before a race to help keep it from further disintegrating.

I disagree with the training track idea as well. We've had no less than TWO deaths there in the same number of years while people were "practicing".

That track is done, has been for awhile but it's been a revenue generator for the CMRA so they keep it on the schedule.

Ever notice how manufacturer contingency money almost always gets paid for Oak Hill? It's not by coincidence that it falls that way.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 10-04-2007, 10:23 AM   #39
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
True, but in '87 we weren't applying Rhino lining down on the track the week before a race to help keep it from further disintegrating.

I disagree with the training track idea as well. We've had no less than TWO deaths there in the same number of years while people were "practicing".

That track is done, has been for awhile but it's been a revenue generator for the CMRA so they keep it on the schedule.

Ever notice how manufacturer contingency money almost always gets paid for Oak Hill? It's not by coincidence that it falls that way.
Yeah, I'm not discounting what you've said, I just think there is a way to ride there. True about the rhino lining, but people complained about the pavement then too.

Funny thing is that at my pace, I rarely have trouble with traction, so I guess my information would be more clouded than say Brandon or Danny, or some of the really fast guys that ride there a lot. I guess that is where the opinion about being a "training" track stems from. At the fast guy's pace, it's not the most ideal situation. For mere mortals like me (who's not near ballsy enough to try to ride in the teens there, and happy to be in the low 30's!) it's a good place to learn.

Run-off, yeah, it is what it is and could be much better/ safer. But then again, people whine about not riding at other tracks that are 30 years (or more) newer that have argueably as bad or worse safety issues, that didn't have to be built the way they are too. OHR and TWS (Texas World Speedway) have been that way (and worse) for 30-40 years, and renovation of the deficiencies are out of reach financially. TWS (Texas World Speedway) is infinitely more safe now than it was in the late 80's, with that eff'd up configuration that used to take us straight to the wall (not 8a, the NASCAR oval wall... I saw Polen put my friend Kevin Ward in to that wall years ago, could have killed him. Others did die there.

Just like 8a and the old configuration that took us to the wall out of the horseshoe- "ah, it's a slow corner, airfence and the slow speeds makes it safe..." ...yeah.

I'd love to see some changes made to OHR, I'd love to see the new tracks built safely, I'd love to see Liberty done... there's a lot I would do if I ruled th world. What we do though is ride where we can, race where we can. We about some things, we live with others.

We can only work and try to make things better, otherwise, the sport will shrivel up. If we don't do things to affect change, we can only blame ourselves.

I think "boycotts" are silly and cowardly, unless they are used as a last resort, when all other options have been exhausted. People will do what they do, and I don't condemn anyone for the choices they make, but it's not what I would do personally.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:56 PM   #40
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not discounting what you've said, I just think there is a way to ride there. True about the rhino lining, but people complained about the pavement then too.

Funny thing is that at my pace, I rarely have trouble with traction, so I guess my information would be more clouded than say Brandon or Danny, or some of the really fast guys that ride there a lot. I guess that is where the opinion about being a "training" track stems from. At the fast guy's pace, it's not the most ideal situation. For mere mortals like me (who's not near ballsy enough to try to ride in the teens there, and happy to be in the low 30's!) it's a good place to learn.

Run-off, yeah, it is what it is and could be much better/safer. But then again, people whine about not riding at other tracks that are 30 years (or more) newer that have argueably as bad or worse safety issues, that didn't have to be built the way they are too. OHR and TWS (Texas World Speedway) have been that way (and worse) for 30-40 years, and renovation of the deficiencies are out of reach financially. TWS (Texas World Speedway) is infinitely more safe now than it was in the late 80's, with that eff'd up configuration that used to take us straight to the wall (not 8a, the NASCAR oval wall... I saw Polen put my friend Kevin Ward in to that wall years ago, could have killed him. Others did die there.

Just like 8a and the old configuration that took us to the wall out of the horseshoe- "ah, it's a slow corner, airfence and the slow speeds makes it safe..." ...yeah.

I'd love to see some changes made to OHR, I'd love to see the new tracks built safely, I'd love to see Liberty done... there's a lot I would do if I ruled th world. What we do though is ride where we can, race where we can. We about some things, we live with others.

We can only work and try to make things better, otherwise, the sport will shrivel up. If we don't do things to affect change, we can only blame ourselves.

I think "boycotts" are silly and cowardly, unless they are used as a last resort, when all other options have been exhausted. People will do what they do, and I don't condemn anyone for the choices they make, but it's not what I would do personally.
Well, when a racing organization continues to race at a track that is unsafe, especially when it's evident that it is and has been brought to the organizations attention ( as if it wasn't already readily apparent, Rhino lining so the track will "hold together"? ) then a boycott may be the only way to get the point across.
I don't consider it "whining", I consider it realistically looking at a track that is regularly seriously injuring and killing people and speaking my mind about it.

You're welcome to your opinion without me "labeling" you "reckless".

I for one will not have either my bike or my team on that track again.

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090

Last edited by Solracer; 10-04-2007 at 03:15 PM.

Advertisement