MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 05:17 PM   #1
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Grandsport Speedway Grand opening

I was very impressed with the track today. It is much better asphalt wise than any of the tracks I have been to in Texas. It also looks like a pretty safe track. It isn't the prettiest in the forms of amenities but still awesome. I took a few laps on in the Z today and the tires were glued to the track. It should make a fun place to ride. They asked me if I would be interested in a membership at only $2500/yr. I involved a 2 year commitment for the first time. Which isn't too bad considering. If I were more of a track junky. I would hop on it.
http://www.grandsportspeedway.com/
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grandsport Speedway Jason_Canuck Taking it to the Track 19 01-21-2009 09:59 PM
Grandsport Speedway....Your thoughts houseofpaint Taking it to the Track 111 10-31-2007 10:23 AM
Grandsport Speedway update! nutmegchoi Taking it to the Track 11 06-22-2007 02:29 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
Robert95z
Ro-Beer-To

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
02 F4i SOLD, 07 CBR600RR SOLD

Totally forgot about that.
Robert95z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:07 PM   #3
CoolHandLuke

Bike(s):
'02 CBR600 F4i

GSS Open House

Went out to the GSS open house around noon, but not on the bike. Did a few laps in the car. There was a handful of bikes out there at the time, most of them did a few laps behind the pace car. I talked with one the riders right after they came off the track and he liked the track. Thought it was a little tighter than most and had fast, but short straights. I was in line for the next parade lap group so I had to cut the conversation short. Maybe he'll post his thoughts here later. The track is definitely shorter than MSRH and has none of the supporting facilities that MSRH offers ( shaded paddock area, bathrooms, Office). The track looks and feels good but still needs some dirt work around the edges. I think it will be a good alternative to MSHR but I'll still ride at MSRH too.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:09 PM   #4
buddha429
Reformed Track Addict

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
at the junkyard

i didn't even know that was happening today. track is very short and technical.
i'll make another trip out there after they finish everything up.
buddha429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

wish i had known too!

I'm looking forward to track days, it's so close to home I could go home to take a leak if i need a bathroom.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

Feedback Rating: (2)

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Dude can I use your bathroom too? Got a call from David a wekk or so ago asking if LMS would be interested in holding events down there. Still need ot go and see it myself, but haven't heard that much positive feedback. Next section is supposed to start in Dec, so that's at least a year out for a longer track. 1.3 miles with a lap time in the mid :40's seems VERY short for a big bike. Mini race would be fun though. Also hear there isn't much run off.
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

No problem Buck!

I checked google maps, my bathroom is about ten miles away!

It's looking like I have till next July and then its Aloha for me.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:51 PM   #8
CoolHandLuke

Bike(s):
'02 CBR600 F4i

Good Noob Track

GSS would make a good noob track because of it's length and shorter high speed straights. The length would make it easier to learn the track and reduce the time it takes to run a complete lap without making a mental error. The two times that I've ridden at MSRH, I have always worked certain corners during a session because it was hard remember, or focus on the entire series of turns that make a lap. Buck needs to run a noob day at GSS because it's has everything a new track rider wants at hopefully a reduced price. And maybe that will give the fast riders more days at MSRH.

But GSS needs to put a sun shade for the pit area ASAP.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:44 PM   #9
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
grandsport was a HUGE let down when i went there for their first trackday with Ridesmart. yeah, pavement looked smooth......but the track didn't really flow. and i'm not too fond of being able to go around a track in less than a minute. people get piled up real quick.

maybe when they add their other track....and i really hope they plan to connect them both.....i might come back and have different thoughts.

but IMO, it's not that great of a track, and i probably won't come back.

like buck said.....on a mini, it may be fun....but not the big bikes. maybe TMGP can run their series at this track? i definately wouldn't take the big bike back out there though. hate it or love it.....that's my opinion on grandsport.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:48 PM   #10
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
GSS would make a good noob track because of it's length and shorter high speed straights. The length would make it easier to learn the track and reduce the time it takes to run a complete lap without making a mental error. The two times that I've ridden at MSRH, I have always worked certain corners during a session because it was hard remember, or focus on the entire series of turns that make a lap. Buck needs to run a noob day at GSS because it's has everything a new track rider wants at hopefully a reduced price. And maybe that will give the fast riders more days at MSRH.

But GSS needs to put a sun shade for the pit area ASAP.
and i disagree.....within a noob day, you will have noobs that ride at different skill levels.....there is no room to spread out...and you will have a very nice pile-up if something should happen.

plus, the track had maybe 3 or 4 real turns...and the rest were kinks in the road or sweepers. no varieties of turns to learn on.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:50 PM   #11
CoolHandLuke

Bike(s):
'02 CBR600 F4i

I think you're (houseofpain) looking at the track from the POV of an experienced rider, I've done two track days since I got my 600 18 months ago,and they were 6 months apart. I think if you ran groups of 10-12 riders for 20 mins each with one or two instructors there would be enough room on the track. What I'm looking for is some cheap track time on a coarse that allows me to build my confidence. The instructor at Buck's track day said that it's the rider that's the limiting factor in getting around the track faster. I know he could jump on my bike and take a min off my lap time...easy. I think that GSS would be a good sandbox for the new guys to play in. I would like to run at least one track day there and hopefully with Buck's outfit. But I've only been on the track in a car so I could be wrong.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:15 AM   #12
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

when i was there for ridesmart....we had about 12 riders in level 4 with maybe 2 control riders.....like a noob group, every level has different skill levels.....i felt like we were constantly piling up.

i don't know how a track org. would be able to rent the track and only have 10-12 riders per group......they'd have to charge a whole lot of money to turn a profit.

as for cheap tracktime.....that's like finding an oasis in the desert. cheap and track don't get along too well. this sport is worse than CRACK, no kidding either. i think i'd have more money if i quit the track and started smoking crack.

but everybody has their likes and dislikes of places. try it out on the bike, and see how you like it. the messed up thing is, i never really thought i would say "i probably won't come back to this track, i shouldn't have missed work for this."

Old 10-02-2007, 06:46 AM   #13
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

still the same setup as before?

You know, a track and nothing else like restroom facilities, food or water, shade, seating, etc??
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:51 AM   #14
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

I think it would be boring on a mini. At least a 50cc mini like a YSR or an NSR. Now on a 125 or something of the likes, it would be a lot of fun.

It does need some plumbing. But a lot of people are getting spoiled now with these fancier tracks like MSRH. I remember when we didn't have MSRH and TWS (Texas World Speedway) was the next closest thing. People bitched about TWS (Texas World Speedway) cause it was run down and the surface sucked. Which it does in some places. But overall, it is a track that you can safely play on without the fear of tickets and cars. Even with all this said, MSRH isn't all that great. The surface has already had quite a few issues. It is pretty bumpy. I have heard the same thing about people saying that they will not waste time and money riding at MSR again. It is just people's opinions. But I think as a motorsports enthusist, it is great to have another choice. I remember riding out there (GSS) when there wasn't a real track but we made it one. Unless you did rode there back when it was just old concrete with grass growing in the cracks, you cannot have a true appreciation for the tracks that we do have. Now we have MSRC, MSRH, TWS (Texas World Speedway), GSS, Oakhill and whatever the one near Tyler, TX is. That is 6 freaking tracks in Texas, when just a few years ago it was only MSRC and TWS (Texas World Speedway). Take anything you can get!
Old 10-02-2007, 07:55 AM   #15
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

i have done a few laps out there on the busa, and i can say it's definately not a track for the big bikes. the fastest i got out there was 110 on the main straight right by the pits. I went out there for the Lotus club day and the fastest time they were running the track in was 59 seconds. i think it'd be a great track for minis or 250's but you couldn't get out of 2nd gear on a 600 even. it seems the track would run better if it was run clockwise
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:23 AM   #16
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

I think maybe everyone should form an opinion when the track is fully complete..im assuming it will have all the facilities that msrh has..if not, it should. and once the last circuit is built, it wont be a short course anymore
Old 10-02-2007, 10:02 AM   #17
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
I think maybe everyone should form an opinion when the track is fully complete..im assuming it will have all the facilities that msrh has..if not, it should. and once the last circuit is built, it wont be a short course anymore
its not the lack of facilities....its the poor track configuration. try running a big bike at the katy track......you'll get the same outcome, except, im afraid you may like the katy track better. i guess we'll wait and see once the other circuit is open (hopefully connecting and making it a bigger track)

as stated before......i'm not saying the track is horrible. i'm saying, it's not a good place for big bikes....i wouldn't mind riding the mini out there, just wouldn't care to ride the big bike there anymore.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:13 AM   #18
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
its not the lack of facilities....its the poor track configuration. try running a big bike at the katy track......you'll get the same outcome, except, im afraid you may like the katy track better. i guess we'll wait and see once the other circuit is open (hopefully connecting and making it a bigger track)

as stated before......i'm not saying the track is horrible. i'm saying, it's not a good place for big bikes....i wouldn't mind riding the mini out there, just wouldn't care to ride the big bike there anymore.
yes but keep in mind also that i do believe it was built for cars and to be used as a driving school... it was awesome in the Lotus elises the day i was there. i don't think it was really designed with bikes in mind.
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:05 AM   #19
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
yes but keep in mind also that i do believe it was built for cars and to be used as a driving school... it was awesome in the Lotus elises the day i was there. i don't think it was really designed with bikes in mind.
true dat......but i have yet to seen a track designed specifically for bikes....just some are more bike friendly than others.

seems like the track was built for small cars (miatas). i'd hate to see a formula car try and run that track. MSRH is still the better track hands down, for cars or bikes. if MSRH had no facilities, i'd still like MSRH's layout better.

Advertisement