Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

View Poll Results: How do you define a "Squid"?
Helmet, Jacket, Riding Pants, Gloves, Boots (ATGATT) 0 0%
Helmet, Jacket, Jeans, Gloves, Boots only 2 1.32%
Helmet, Jacket, Jeans, Gloves only 1 0.66%
Helmet, Jacket, Jeans only 0 0%
Helmet, Jeans, T-shirt only 19 12.50%
Helmet, T-Shirt, Shorts, Flip-Flops only 40 26.32%
No helmet, but otherwise any of the above, plus Rides the speed limit, obeys all laws. 20 13.16%
Rides like a Moron, Races, Wheelies, Endos, etc. on Public Roads in Traffic, but ATGATT. 70 46.05%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Poll: "SQUID" as Defined by MH

I realize that there's many variations in the attire we choose as Riders. As such, there seems to be just as many opinions on what defines a "Squid". The Wall of Shame thread seems to impose its own definitaion.

So I'm interested to see what the majority of MHers feel to be the example. This is limited to only 7 scenarios, but I think these 7 should be enough to clarify one's opinion, while at the same time, through votes, provide a concensus on where the majority of MHer's opinions fall.

On a side note, please post which option you voted for, along with your age. I just want to see if there's any corrlation between age and opinion (if any).
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dont feel like looking for "squid pic" thread of shame sooo... lonnief2 Off Topic 13 04-11-2010 10:27 AM
just replace "youtube comment" with "MH post" Chubby Racer Off Topic 1 04-10-2009 11:21 AM
CBS posts "white voters only" poll..... Mr. Unassailable The Circus 24 11-04-2008 11:10 AM
I know we "Love" the "Man" on MH but check this... cdill35 Off Topic 19 10-07-2008 11:31 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

First to vote. I'm 40 yrs old. I vote #8, even though I usually ride per Option 2.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:59 PM   #3
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

I voted number 6, but number 8 w/ o gear would be a good answer.
As long as your wearing a helmet and arnt riding like an idiot, or riding aggressively, i wouldnt call you out on it.

oh yeah im 23
Old 09-30-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
Cornbread
Cornelius Breadington

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
Huffy

Send a message via AIM to Cornbread Send a message via Yahoo to Cornbread
I went with the crazy riding.

People without gear also qualify for me.
Cornbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:07 PM   #5
acheapshot
BigMatt

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki EX650R

I'm 25, chose option 8, though I have seen the same behavior from some with little or no gear.
acheapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Too bad we can't make a multi-answer type poll. It would give us a better perspective on where the weight of the curve flows.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:12 PM   #7
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by acheapshot View Post
I'm 25, chose option 8, though I have seen the same behavior from some with little or no gear.
Then those riders would still fall under 8. I meant that to read "even if ATGATT".
Old 09-30-2007, 01:34 PM   #8
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

so this poll defines what the ENTIRE message board classifies as a squid? i dont think so.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Needs multiple choice; I chose #8, but I would say shorts and flip flops pretty much define squid, helmet or not...
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:41 PM   #10
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

even if the rider is geared up but riding like an around other motorist, i consider him a squid.

the squid tag shouldnt stay on someone but should be a description of the style of riding for that time.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:49 PM   #11
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo3rd View Post
even if the rider is geared up but riding like an around other motorist, i consider him a squid.

the squid tag shouldnt stay on someone but should be a description of the style of riding for that time.
As in "he sure was riding like a squid" as opposed to "he's a squid"

Although there are those that are pretty much squiddly 99% of the time...
Old 09-30-2007, 02:50 PM   #12
dnix600

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600

33yrs old. No vote. Hate the word. Dont feel anyone learns about rider safety from being belittled by another rider who acts like their better or smart than them. And most of the time thats how the term is used. Most of the time, riders are hypocrites anyway, because we all have are moments of stupidity.
dnix600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #13
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnix600 View Post
33yrs old. No vote. Hate the word. Dont feel anyone learns about rider safety from being belittled by another rider who acts like their better or smart than them. And most of the time thats how the term is used. Most of the time, riders are hypocrites anyway, because we all have are moments of stupidity.
I actually never really heard the term "squid" until about a year ago, when I started to get on these motorcycle forums. When I first heard it, I had thought it pertained to Riders riding recklessly, with complete disregard to public safety, or someone who rode without a helmet. The reason being either way increases one's risk of a fatal accident, thus becoming like a squid on the pavement.

Then as I became more active on these forums, and talking to other riders, it seems to have morphed into anything and everything (based on one's own personal opinion), from riding with shorts to riding with no helmet, or even riding in jeans instead of riding pants. I remember when riding in just jeans and a jacket was the responsible thing to do (ie: remember Maverick (Tom Cruise) in the movie Top Gun?... I'm from that generation). Based on those other opinions, I found that I could very well be classified as a squid, since when I first started riding 23 years ago, helmets, gear, boots, etc. were not required to ride. With the advent of technology, and the ready availability of gear, crash data, etc., the use of gear has become more common and preferred. But in my "old school" mentality, having learned to ride in an era of "no gear", I still think it's no big deal if a person decides to ride without gear, so long as they do so responsibly... albeit, what is "responsible" may be defined by whether one chooses to ride with or without gear. Sooo....

The purpose of this post was not in any way to belittle (although I agree with you, that the term is used quite often for the purpose of belittling), but just to see what the majority of riders now feel is a squid (for lack of a better subject term), and to see if it's a generational thing, new era thing, common sense thing.... I don't know... but it's something!

I just thought it would be interesting to see what most of us think, and to see if that opinion is in any way correlated to what generation we're from.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #14
cameron1507

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 R1-sold
03 R6 (sold)

Send a message via AIM to cameron1507 Send a message via Yahoo to cameron1507
i put number 8, but i would say any one with out a helmet, i always ride number 2. and i am 20
cameron1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:41 PM   #15
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

+1. Squidly behaviour is what defines a squid.

Whether it be riding in flip flops and shorts, or wheelieing in traffic wearing all the gear.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:48 PM   #16
dnix600

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
I actually never really heard the term "squid" until about a year ago, when I started to get on these motorcycle forums. When I first heard it, I had thought it pertained to Riders riding recklessly, with complete disregard to public safety, or someone who rode without a helmet. The reason being either way increases one's risk of a fatal accident, thus becoming like a squid on the pavement.

Then as I became more active on these forums, and talking to other riders, it seems to have morphed into anything and everything (based on one's own personal opinion), from riding with shorts to riding with no helmet, or even riding in jeans instead of riding pants. I remember when riding in just jeans and a jacket was the responsible thing to do (ie: remember Maverick (Tom Cruise) in the movie Top Gun?... I'm from that generation). Based on those other opinions, I found that I could very well be classified as a squid, since when I first started riding 23 years ago, helmets, gear, boots, etc. were not required to ride. With the advent of technology, and the ready availability of gear, crash data, etc., the use of gear has become more common and preferred. But in my "old school" mentality, having learned to ride in an era of "no gear", I still think it's no big deal if a person decides to ride without gear, so long as they do so responsibly... albeit, what is "responsible" may be defined by whether one chooses to ride with or without gear. Sooo....

The purpose of this post was not in any way to belittle (although I agree with you, that the term is used quite often for the purpose of belittling), but just to see what the majority of riders now feel is a squid (for lack of a better subject term), and to see if it's a generational thing, new era thing, common sense thing.... I don't know... but it's something!

I just thought it would be interesting to see what most of us think, and to see if that opinion is in any way correlated to what generation we're from.
I wasnt trying to knock your thread. Just expressing my opinion. I like threads like these, because I like to read others opinions. I sure as dont know everything.
dnix600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:50 PM   #17
AznGoneNuts

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 R6

Send a message via AIM to AznGoneNuts
Squid to me is wearing shorts/ no helmet/ and riding recklessly. majority of the times i ride option #3 when im going to work. if im going out for a ride thats when i put on my boots.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:23 PM   #18
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japawhat02 View Post
I voted number 6, but number 8 w/ o gear would be a good answer.
As long as your wearing a helmet and arnt riding like an idiot, or riding aggressively, i wouldnt call you out on it.

oh yeah im 23
same here but i'm 24
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:30 PM   #19
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

i think that riding like a squid is riding dangerous enough as to where if something happened it could kill or seriously injure yourself or someone else. dressed like a squid is shorts and/or flip flops at all, even with a helmet. i wouldn't really call someone on it if they had on just a helmet or jeans and a jacket with no helmet, as long as they are riding responsibly. but a tshirt/shorts/and or flips flops is the criteria for me
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:52 PM   #20
100f
Reagan and Peyton's Dad

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
94' 1000F
92' VFR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnix600 View Post
I ride with all my gear 9.5 out of 10 times...BUT I do it for MY safety!! My first bike was a 1000..no MSF..and I think I do just fine!
100f is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement