MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 09:19 AM   #21
RF771

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
94 RF771 03 Z1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprayboy91 View Post
For the love of all that is holy.... I hope Patrick can save the seal in mine... he has my bike right now at his shop with the exact same problem but no oil leak afther the chain breakage...

Patrick---->

If that doesn't work I won't get to ride for about 6 months...no money in my budget for that big of a repair. Whick massively sux cause I have only gotten to ride it like 7x since i got it...

Patrick... any chance you can post some pics of the carnage that this caused from my bike to influnce people to maintain their chains/lube, and slack.
this could have been an injury to me had it happened at high speed... luckly I was going like 40mph.

I talked to you the night your bike broke. Hope Patrick can get it fixed with out breaking the bank.

Any idea why the chain broke?
~qualified #3, lost in Semi Finals~
RF771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clutch Pushrod Seal Leaking pinball How To's and Q & A's 8 11-18-2013 09:19 AM
I need a clutch pressure plate. 01-02 GSXR 750 gradplanner General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 08-20-2009 03:15 PM
how to replace clutch on 05 gsxr 750 notstock22 How To's and Q & A's 19 02-13-2009 06:11 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #22
andrave

my rear tire was changed by a shop that didn't tighten one of my swingarm adjusters, allowing the rear wheel to get out of alignment and wearing down the chain. I realized the problem and pulled over and readjusted the rear wheel but the chain had already worn a lot. I had stopped riding the bike for a while.
I was actually on my way to my friends garage to change the chain when it broke..
oh well should have waited and took it over in a truck.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:48 PM   #23
andrave

Hey just as an update, if anyone cares, I've been skiing all winter and the bike has been parked (I moved back to WV) but its started getting warmer. I took a die grinder and marked the oil seal over the with machinists blue. I then ground out the . If you are very very careful you will be able to freeze the oil seal and then tap it into place with a socket, and it leaves enough of a lip to hold a snap ring. I exaggerated this lip with a dremel and a small abrasive disc before installing the snap ring. I just got it all back together today and it looks like its working out, and should be capable of holding as much oil pressure as the engine can throw at it. Its in there really well. Got my new EK chain on, repaired the damaged threads in the case, mounted up the water pump and sprocket cover, topped off the tank with fresh 93 and filled up the coolant... waiting on my oil filter to come in tomorrow to do the oil, fiberglass is curing on a few cracks I fixed while the fairings were off, and then I'll see how she runs after the long winter. Right now it feels like its just shifting between two gears and I can't figure out why... guess we'll see what happens when I get it running, hopefully tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:09 PM   #24
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Where in WV? I hunt Brandywine and Shanendoah Valley every year during Thanksgiving week.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:09 PM   #25
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Yeah I still care. Lucky you I haven't gotten to go skiing once.

It would be great if you could get some close up pics of this repair. i think I follow what you have done. If I understand correctly it should make future oil seal changes much easier.
Makes you wonder why they didn't build it that way to start with.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #26
andrave

where in WV? I'm in Hundred, about 45 minutes north or morgantown in northwest WV... its an hour from OH and 10 mins from PA. I used to live over by martinburg, about 90 minute from brandywine. You should take your bike up next time you go and hit 33 over the mountains into virginia.. its a very epic ride, you can drag knee if so inclined... huge banked turns that just keep going back and forth, the whole way up and down. real pretty countryside out there... my friend and I did a 1000 mile road trip last summer, started in martinsburg, cut through moorefield and down past senica rocks and through "the trough" down towards snowshoe mountain ski resort, all the way down to lewisburg, beckly, princeton, then back up through brandywine and harrisburg va... we took a few days and did it all on 2 lane roads. it was ****ing epic.
I hit on some amish bishes. lol. they were all about the bike.. all wanted to sit on it with their ankle skirts and bonnets.

bumblebee:
yeah I've been about 20 times this season, I got a new set of twintips and I've been doing the terrain park thing, learning to grind rails and ride the half and super pipes, and do some grabs on the jumps. really my first year actually skiing more than once or twice, I've been having a blast.

I have pics of the repair (I took several during the process), but I'm on dialup at home.. I need to get the pics off my computer, find somewhere to host them, upload them, and post them. that seems like it would take a while on dialup so I can't promise anything... I dont know why they didn't do that to start with, a shop owner I talked to said that a lot of kawi's and yama's have em with snap rings from the factory. My only guess is that they have to put the engine together at the factory, so its easy to toss the oil seal in there. its not considered a normal wear item (it helps to grease em once in a while, I'm told.. though when you bust the chain all breaks loose of course and damage is to be expected). The biggest thing is probably that the snap ring thing would add weight, and if you haven't noticed, this kind of bike is all about being as light as possible. It would also require additional precision machining for the o ring groove, which would add cost.

but yeah from a maintenance standpoint it would have been a better idea to make the seal removeable. If you have a steady hand and a die grinder, you can switch yours. I'm not taking liability for someone up their yet... and I haven't ridden on mine yet to see how it holds pressure. so this would be a "do at own risk" sorta thing.