MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2007, 08:34 AM   #21
vertigo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07 Busa, 03 busa, 08 Artic Cat ATV, 08 CRF50

Send a message via AIM to vertigo
What’s up Jason??? Slow down and you won’t have that problem... Or were you trying to catch up to me?? I have had that one time before, I was passing a truck down in Alvin and hit a pot hole, the bars started bouncing back and forth and all I was looking for some grassy area to crash in. Needless to say I got the bike under control and pulled over to clean the out of my pants. I would suggest a after market steering stabilizer.
Are you guys still riding on Sunday? I got a tire yesterday so I should have the busa back together. - Tom
08 CRF 50
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What to do to my tank? luckyxdevil1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 03-25-2013 12:57 PM
Looking to buy a Tank Bra - Protector Tank Cover NoFear Motorcycles Unlimited 4 10-02-2008 11:25 AM
Looking to buy a Tank Bra - Protector Tank Cover NoFear Gear Talk 26 10-23-2007 02:48 PM
Help! I need a tank Silver Bullet General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 03-29-2007 09:58 PM
noise under tank ikp460. How To's and Q & A's 9 03-20-2007 12:59 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2007, 08:34 AM   #22
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlgorman View Post
no you're completely right I'm not saying that going mph into a turn is smart nor do I do it...another thing...I never said or acted like I know anything about riding i'm a self confessed noob "1000 mi in 10 mos STFU."...grow up guy...that was uncalled for

all I know is that I wear my gear and take it easy, the guy was asking why his bike responded like that...maybe it was his technique??? I sure as don't know but again...maybe someone will give you a real answer huh Jason?
thanks lance
lbjasonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:34 AM   #23
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

[QUOTE=lbjasonc;779301]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
that's the odd thing. i just had my suspension setup on wed at Motorcycles Unlimited. i thought that might of been why this happened. i've takin that turn multiple times at the same speed and never had this happen.
The road isn't perfect... cracks, potholes, debris... any of it can cause a slapper. Remember, don't put the death grip on your bars. That can also add to the problem.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:36 AM   #24
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo View Post
What’s up Jason??? Slow down and you won’t have that problem... Or were you trying to catch up to me?? I have had that one time before, I was passing a truck down in Alvin and hit a pot hole, the bars started bouncing back and forth and all I was looking for some grassy area to crash in. Needless to say I got the bike under control and pulled over to clean the out of my pants. I would suggest a after market steering stabilizer.
Are you guys still riding on Sunday? I got a tire yesterday so I should have the busa back together. - Tom
what up tom! ya, let's make it happen on sunday. i'm thinkin about hittin up the hpd cruise
Old 09-28-2007, 08:37 AM   #25
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

[QUOTE=Steve O Chap;779313]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjasonc View Post

The road isn't perfect... cracks, potholes, debris... any of it can cause a slapper. Remember, don't put the death grip on your bars. That can also add to the problem.
when i turn i lean with my legs and hips. i put as little grip on the bars as possible.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:37 AM   #26
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

also, notice in that video, he has a load of wieght over the front end when he comes down, had he been back a bit when he brought it down, it might not have happend.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:40 AM   #27
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

[QUOTE=lbjasonc;779321]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O Chap View Post

when i turn i lean with my legs and hips. i put as little grip on the bars as possible.
I'm trying to understand this... with your legs and hips?

For street riding there really is no reason to lean anything but the bike... if you need to get out of your seat then you're going way to fast. , I can drag pegs all day long on the F4i and not move out of me seat at all.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:41 AM   #28
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
ya, well if you dont have alot of experiance than cool it. not going to tell you what to do, but little experiance + lots of confidence and well..

you might get your very own RIP thread on here, with angels and everything.no one likes to see a fellow rider die, even if they are squid.
don't have a lot and i'm always still learning but experience isn't the problem. i'm just like everyone else-ridin dirtbikes at 13, bought a cruiser at 22, sportbike at 25. no squid here my friend
Old 09-28-2007, 08:43 AM   #29
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

[QUOTE=Steve O Chap;779331]
Quote:

I'm trying to understand this... with your legs and hips?

For street riding there really is no reason to lean anything but the bike... if you need to get out of your seat then you're going way to fast. , I can drag pegs all day long on the F4i and not move out of me seat at all.
out of the saddle, put weight over right knee, left hip holds the bike.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:43 AM   #30
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
don't have a lot and i'm always still learning but experience isn't the problem. i'm just like everyone else-ridin dirtbikes at 13, bought a cruiser at 22, sportbike at 25. no squid here my friend
I'm not trying to be an ... but do you think 115 on a public highway isn't being a squid?

I do... it cause of actions like that, that cause me to get tailed by cops.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:45 AM   #31
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
i came onto it at 90mph. i pulled my a$$ out of the saddle and accelerated up to 115 comin out of the turn. .
Quote:
. no squid here my friend
:sign12:
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:49 AM   #32
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

Quote:
I'm not trying to be an ... but do you think 115 on a public highway isn't being a squid?

I do... it cause of actions like that, that cause me to get tailed by cops.
good point. how ever, if any rider on this site or on a bike would say they never hit 3 digits on any public hwy, frwy, or st. i'm callin b.s.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:51 AM   #33
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
good point. how ever, if any rider on this site or on a bike would say they never hit 3 digits on any public hwy, frwy, or st. i'm callin b.s.
I agree... but most of those who do those speeds, don't misrepresent themselves and say that they are good safe riders.

I used to ride like that, first time I dragged a knee was on public roads! But after seeing so many get hurt and killed over the past 7+ years I've been riding, I've learned not to do that.

Riding on the street is about surviving, riding on the track is about enjoyment.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:55 AM   #34
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

Quote:
I agree... but most of those who do those speeds, don't misrepresent themselves and say that they are good safe riders.

I used to ride like that, first time I dragged a knee was on public roads! But after seeing so many get hurt and killed over the past 7+ years I've been riding, I've learned not to do that.

Riding on the street is about surviving, riding on the track is about enjoyment.
thank u for ur info steve, i appreciate it. and i'm on my way to the track as soon as possible. i just wanna buy my own gear before i do so. everyone who's been explains to me that there's no comparrison to ridin on the street. i wanna experience what you all are talkin about. i'll be on it soon. thanks again.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:00 AM   #35
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
happen to me a couple times on the freeway doing what you did, but from the sound of it, you got a 1000, probably picked the front up when you hit it hard and came down offset a bit, then yea, but slide back, and get on the gas and that should help, also invest in GPR or scott damper that will help cut down on that slappers..

also, use your body to move the back more then the handle bars, weigh shift will move the bike alot smoother then just forcing the handle bars up
Old 09-28-2007, 09:04 AM   #36
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphin View Post
happen to me a couple times on the freeway doing what you did, but from the sound of it, you got a 1000, probably picked the front up when you hit it hard and came down offset a bit, then yea, but slide back, and get on the gas and that should help, also invest in GPR or scott damper that will help cut down on that slappers..

also, use your body to move the back more then the handle bars, weigh shift will move the bike alot smoother then just forcing the handle bars up
that's the info i was lookin for i'll check out some aftermarket dampers today
Old 09-28-2007, 09:10 AM   #37
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
thank u for ur info steve, i appreciate it. and i'm on my way to the track as soon as possible. i just wanna buy my own gear before i do so. everyone who's been explains to me that there's no comparrison to ridin on the street. i wanna experience what you all are talkin about. i'll be on it soon. thanks again.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:21 AM   #38
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
as previously stated.....steering damper

either you hit a bump while on the throttle......or you throttled too much outta the turn......actually.....correction.....could be MANY MANY things that caused it.

i've been lucky, only had 1 highside on the crf.....1 near highside, which for the love of i saved, that probably would've broke some bones on my 600rr at TWS (Texas World Speedway).

i'm not gonna lie, i ride hard on the streets....which is why i made the choice of not having a street bike anymore. i have no self-control when i'm on two wheels. if you're riding like that on the streets, i would highly suggest some self-control. doing high speeds while changing freeways is not a good choice. if you should hit an oil puddle, some gravel, huge bump, etc.....flying off a bridge at high speeds probably isn't a lot of fun.

be careful out there. and btw, the suspension setup at Motorcycles Unlimited would not have caused it.....it's either rider error, or street issue.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:24 AM   #39
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

^^ Did you get my PM ^^
Old 09-28-2007, 09:27 AM   #40
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Most of the latter advice I have seen on this thread is dead on about slappers and how to prevent them.... Simply saying "slow down" or "don't go on public roads" is total and not worth wasting the time to type....Everyone buys these bikes to go fast, on the track or on the street it makes no difference....if its gonna slap, its gonna slap...YES on the street there is more of a chance of it due to more irregular road surfaces etc but.....

Safety nazis gotta jump all over threads like this an not even offer any REAL advice... Here is what you check:

1) Front/rear tire pressures and condition
2) Suspension settings, make sure they are EXACTLY the same on both forks
3) Steering head bearing adjustment
4) Rear wheel alignment
5) Both wheel bearings and spacers

All of these components can affect the bikes stability and resistance to slappers....YES I have had one bad REAR wheel bearing that would give me a wobble in the bars at 60 mph.....You have to look past the obvious..

Steering dampers will help but not completely quench slappers, the main focus is to make sure other aspects of the bike that can cause slappers are in great working condition. Front end and frame geometery is what causes certain bikes to be slapper prone....some are REALLY bad like the old 900RR, TL1000S, Early R1s/R6s and some ZX9Rs and 929 hondas....Steep rake and trail angles aid in this...

Seeing as how this happend on your 06 1k, I doubt seriously that there is anything wrong with your bike other then possibly low tire pressure or worn front tire... Some times, they just happen, you hit the right bump, on the right road, at the right speed with your weight in a certain position, you may get one....Thats just the nature of the beast...Gixxers are not necessarily prone to slappin so...I think it was a freak case for you... Just be aware they can happen anytime and the main thing to remember is don't panic, don't tighten up on the bars, and DON'T HIT THE BRAKES....just get your weight off the front, either stay on the gas or try slightly increasing it although sometimes that will inflame the slapper.

I have had a BAD slapper on a stock Hayabusa of all things(the most stable bike on the market), I was running through the gears and as I shifted to 3rd, all broke loose, it was slapping back and forth, lock to lock(it actually broke one of the tabs off the lower tree). It was completely out of control and my feet were not even on the pegs, I instantly started looking for somewhere to land to keep from getting hit by other cars....well, I stayed on it and kept it up...I took it back to the owner I was testing it for and told him what happened, he says "yeah, I forgot to tell you its been doing that lately!" Turns out he just mounted a new Metzler rear tire and still running the stock Bridgestone front... We put my wheel on it with a bridgestone and had no more problems....mix matched tires causing slappers....who would have thought...

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement