Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2007, 10:37 AM   #61
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

The 250's are the perfect learner bike, but a 500 or 650 for a larger or taller person "can" work just as well. Plus you won't tire of it so fast, especially if you hang out with stunters or go on the SMR with Jimmy.....
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Braking for beginners DuckySTi How To's and Q & A's 0 05-26-2012 03:03 PM
Zen: Beginners Mind-- lucydad General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 05-06-2012 01:23 PM
Why beginners should take it easy brandontx General Discussion (Moto Related) 68 03-23-2011 12:37 PM
why some people say that 600cc class are for beginners? crisw14 General Discussion (Moto Related) 47 02-09-2009 03:45 PM
Asian import bike vs American made bike for beginners booo-iii_rider New Riders and MSF Course Info 5 04-01-2008 12:11 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2007, 10:51 AM   #62
nihaikitty
Squidette

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
'04 EX500
'08 SV650

i suggest an ex500 ninja 100%! they're durable as and will take you anywhere, plus parts are relatively cheap.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:33 PM   #63
DRR2326
Biker Ordiment!

Bike(s):
Don't own a bike yet! Still working on that one!

Send a message via AIM to DRR2326
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
She's going to check out my SV tomorrow when I ride into Houston. There are lots of great beginner bikes out there, for your size the Ninja may be cramped where the SV offers a much nicer riding position but there are still endless options. Atleast tomorrow you'll be able to see an Sv up close and you can go from there
I checked out DvlRacer's Sv660 today and it was really nice. Really liked the flat black when I saw it in person. It was a good size bike. Sounded awesome too with the new exhaust.

I know the ninja 250's are really popular for starter bikes, but I just don't think it is a big enough bike or has the power. They are pretty small bikes, and though I am not a big person I am tall. When I sat on the sv660 I could flat foot it on both sides. I think I will try to get at least a 500 to 750 for the first bike. But I do have to admit that the new ninjas look nice depending on the color, while other colors make it look like a big toy...well, I guess it kind of is a toy. :o)
DRR2326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:02 PM   #64
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRR2326 View Post
I know the ninja 250's are really popular for starter bikes, but I just don't think it is a big enough bike or has the power. They are pretty small bikes, and though I am not a big person I am tall. ...well, I guess it kind of is a toy. :o)

Have you ever ridden a 250?
Old 09-28-2007, 02:07 PM   #65
TWISTED METAL
Banned

Bike(s):
CBR 1000 AND GSXR 750 TRACK BIKE

User is banned

TWISTED METAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:22 PM   #66
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Here you go, get a powerful bike:

Brandnew Bike from Dealer
Old 09-28-2007, 02:39 PM   #67
HoustonGixxer

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

600RR or GSXR600 but its just a personal preference. It just depends on what all you want. 600 was my starter bike and i absolutely love it.
HoustonGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:49 PM   #68
Longnguyen

did someone already suggest a chromed out busa?
Longnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:21 PM   #69
DRR2326
Biker Ordiment!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia View Post
Here you go, get a powerful bike:

Brandnew Bike from Dealer
That is quite a video. I hope I have enough age on me to not be a totally idiot about having a bike. Also, considering that I know two people who have wrecked in the last couple weeks and one ended up in the hospital, I would say I have a good sense of responsiblity and understanding the power and risk involved. But thanks for the tip.

I have ridden a 250, but it was quite a while ago.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:25 PM   #70
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

I know everyone does it for the good of the noobs but I hate how everyone tries to use all the scare tactics on people. I wanted a busa for my first bike (and almost got one) either way. I started on a liter bike and Im just fine. Although most would probably say that I have good self control. So I say take into consideration what everyone says but get what u want.
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:26 PM   #71
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar954r View Post
I know everyone does it for the good of the noobs but I hate how everyone tries to use all the scare tactics on people. I wanted a busa for my first bike (and almost got one) either way. I started on a liter bike and Im just fine. Although most would probably say that I have good self control. So I say take into consideration what everyone says but get what u want.
Well, she asked for a good beginner bike, not just any bike. While some folks begin on an SS 600 bike, a 1K or a Busa, it is not a 'good beginner bike'. A good beginner bike is something that is forgiving, takes drops well and doesn't throw you off its seat if you twist the throttle too hard. .. and trust me, I even managed two wheelies in the first week I had the 250 because I kept forgetting to shift down at lights and stop signs and in panic kept revving it until I had the right gear again. On an SS bike, it probably would've landed me in the ER instead of 'just' wheeling through an intersection.

Most folks who ask this question already have their mind up though and this is not the first where I read that they do want a powerful bike.

You ask and you get advice and comments. When I started, I got ears full myself, so I am just returning the favor.

Personally, I think the typical GS500, Ninja 500 or SV650 would be great for her. They resell easily and as I was told when I started "Your first bike is never your last bike."
Old 09-28-2007, 08:27 PM   #72
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar954r View Post
so how long have you been riding? street bikes.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #73
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Get a 250. You can ride it a month or two, decide if you really want a bike, then sell it and get what you really want.

If you have to be cool then just get an SV650. It will keep you happy. But know that it is a capable machine that can get you in trouble just as quickly as a 1000 in the wrong situation.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:34 PM   #74
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

**** it....get an 08 busa and be king of the block for awhile
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:53 PM   #75
Jango

Send a message via AIM to Jango
I'm 5'11" and weight 280lbs and guess what I'm buying when the cash becomes available a ninja 250. why lets see 110 is fast enough for me while learning to ride heck the speed limit of 70 is enough for me. and i don't really care how "quick" my bike gets me from point a to b just so long as it gets me there and in one piece. and yes i have ridden a 250 heck i've even looped one and crushed my right arm, right big toe and caused some nice joint damage on my left wrist. I've also ridden an R6 and a Honda 929 and i felt more comfortable on the 250. but hey this is just one fat guys opinion you more then likely wont take it so don't be surprised when i don't really react to your rider down thread since you don't seem to have the patience to start slow and work your way up. and all you want is the bike that looks cool and the excuse I'm too big is a crock of s***.
Jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:01 PM   #76
DRR2326
Biker Ordiment!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jango View Post
I'm 5'11" and weight 280lbs and guess what I'm buying when the cash becomes available a ninja 250. why lets see 110 is fast enough for me while learning to ride heck the speed limit of 70 is enough for me. and i don't really care how "quick" my bike gets me from point a to b just so long as it gets me there and in one piece. and yes i have ridden a 250 heck i've even looped one and crushed my right arm, right big toe and caused some nice joint damage on my left wrist. I've also ridden an R6 and a Honda 929 and i felt more comfortable on the 250. but hey this is just one fat guys opinion you more then likely wont take it so don't be surprised when i don't really react to your rider down thread since you don't seem to have the patience to start slow and work your way up. and all you want is the bike that looks cool and the excuse I'm too big is a crock of s***.
Well, I will be the first person to say that I suck at patience, but I don't feel like I am going about looking for a bike unwisely..and I haven't said that I won't look into a ninja 250. I rode one a while ago, and after as many comments as I have gotten on them it would be stupid to not check them out again, but I can garentee you that when I buy my bike, no matter what it ends up being, it will be what I am looking for, with the righte size, the right power, right price and right look....for me.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:12 PM   #77
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

You're missing the whole point of a starter bike to learn the ropes on.

As far as right size, right power, right look...blah blah blah.....it'll look like the first time you drop it. Best learn on a POS that won't kill you and then upgrade to exactly the accessory you desire.

No one thinks a Ninja 250 is really cool, just smart and practical. If you decide on one hopefully it won't be for the cool factor. Take the advice above, ride a dirt bike or borrow a beater. Worst case, buy a 250. get some skills, then upgrade.

What is an ordiment?
Old 09-28-2007, 11:14 PM   #78
seratt

Bike(s):
88' Super Magna

Member Garage

I started on my Magna 750. Own an old cb900 now also. Love both, and had np learning on either.

You seem to be more into sport bikes, though. shame shame

hehe.

I'm sure whatever you get you'll love it. Just make sure to be careful and MSF.

Oh, and I've never dropped either. I'm sure I will one day, but 6 months and 6k miles later, no drops so eh. Just because you're new doesn't auto mean you will drop her.

**knock on wood**
Old 09-28-2007, 11:17 PM   #79
DRR2326
Biker Ordiment!

Bike(s):

Not once have I ever used the word "cool". When i say right look and right price...I am well aware I will drop this bike, and I don't want it to hurt when it does drop. I have no intention of spending a lot of money on a first bike..not while I am learning. I am open to advice..and I already said I will look at the ninja 250. Caligonetx has a katana 650, which I am going to ride before I buy a bike and then I can decide whether that is too much power for starting or a good amount of power.

As for ordiment...I can thank Caligonetx for that. I originally had "Biker Wanna-be" but Cali and I started a forum about me trying to get a ride with him and so he told me I should call myself a biker ordinment (look good on the back seat). It was a joke and I just haven't changed it. Still makes me laugh.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:19 PM   #80
DRR2326
Biker Ordiment!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by seratt View Post
I started on my Magna 750. Own an old cb900 now also. Love both, and had np learning on either.

You seem to be more into sport bikes, though. shame shame

hehe.

I'm sure whatever you get you'll love it. Just make sure to be careful and MSF.

Oh, and I've never dropped either. I'm sure I will one day, but 6 months and 6k miles later, no drops so eh. Just because you're new doesn't auto mean you will drop her.

**knock on wood**
I actually have MSF and have riden on cruisers a couple times..actually only ever driven a cruiser..never driven a sportbike. They are nice. Very comfortable riding. I took my lisence test on a cruiser. I think all bikes have a little "somethin, somethin" to give.

Advertisement