MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #121
kacolson
Ridin Dirty...

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
CBR 954

Watch out for that..............door! My buddy took out a guy's driver door because the f'in guy decided he would take out his rage on an innocent guy. Needless to say, jailtime for the cager and a slap on the wrist for my buddy.

Filtering may be beneficial and economical, but its dangerous. I'd rather be hot than get flipped off my bike by some jerk with roadrage opening his door. My health over the ozone.

-Keith
kacolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BW8 lane filtering/splitting pics, bumpy ride on lane dividers urbanXJ General Discussion (Moto Related) 96 06-30-2016 12:29 PM
Cement truck wreck gulf frwy,prompts massive lane splitting/filtering demonstratin urbanXJ General Discussion (Moto Related) 124 06-29-2016 06:23 PM
Share the lane (lane splitting is not a crime) stickers SideVinder650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 08-07-2014 08:30 AM
TX Bill for lane splitting goes to committee (yes, another lane splitting thread) exalted512 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-14-2011 05:35 PM
Lane Splitting/Sharing... Tony1K Off Topic 11 01-08-2009 11:05 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2007, 01:42 PM   #122
Drumboy

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

One argument is comfort (and maybe saving mechanical damage) while the other is risking your safety.

Yes, if lane splitting is legalized then riding the shoulder, emergency lane if you're into those semantics, will still be illegal but maybe they'd educate cagers about lane splitting. We'll cross that bridge when/if we get there...but for now, they're both illegal so I'll take the safer route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
sure why not, it;s as legitimate an excuse as "it's too hot" "my bike is gonna overheat" blah blah blah.

when/if lane splitting becomes a law its not going to allow for riding down the emergancy lane.
Drumboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:35 PM   #123
gumby1220

Bike(s):
'92 katana

i agree, i do it when on 610 going to work b/c for one i hate not being able to move, and also its a pain to keep clintching the clutch.
gumby1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:12 PM   #124
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Because I can
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:43 AM   #125
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Back to the Top it would appear that some are very tight in the on this topic ... classic lane filter

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=48002

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mudbug View Post
NO it was a young white guy with no plates.

Now let me tell you a story a guy named _______.

I was sitting at red light, in the right hand lane, at the intersection of 518 and Highway 3 when this dumba** on black CBR pulls up behind me. He then goes between me and the curb and passes about 8 other cars to get to the front of the line.

The light turns green just as he gets there and he almost gets hit by a car that is turning. Then he takes off like a bat out of down 518.

I few miles down I get in the turn lane for FM 270 and here is said stupid right in front of me so I run right up to his rear tire and stop. Now remember I am in my Wrangler on 35"s so I know he came close to dirtying his panties. I consider getting out of the Jeep and taking his keys and leaving him and his bike stuck right there but the light turned green and he bolted. At the next red light he passes about 5 or 6 more cars to get in the front of the line again.

I am just really glad that he is not on MH. People like this have NO business on bike. He almost get hit by many cars, no plates, wearing a jacket that is 3 sizes to big. I just hope he learns how to ride before he gets killed. That would be a waste of a good bike.

Also if you are on here and don't want to claim yourself. Think about your actions. It is things like that that give us 0 respect in stupid insurance rates.

I'm done. Peace out.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-

Last edited by NoFear; 02-26-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:36 PM   #126
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

mmm....you can catch a slug or two for that ^^

(walkin' up on somebody at a light and trying to take their keys?!?!?!) BIGGGG NO NO...

good thing he only thought about it
jus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:51 PM   #127
Drumboy

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

I split the shlt out of some lanes in Mexico and filtered my @ss off in California. , the line getting back across the border in Tijuana would have taken over an hour and I probably would have had a heat stroke if not for a cool dude from Georgia on a 10 year old ninja. I was too scared to do it coming back across the border cause I was told you'll get a ticket coming back from Acuna (Del Rio) but he rolled up and told us we could. We weren't just going all the way up the line, we had to go in front of several cars to switch over cause cars were too close together or there were vendor's carts blocking the way.

A long long time ago in this thread Racer X said that no other country allows you to use the 'Emergency Lane' (Shoulder) but that's not true. Wait til traffic backs up in Mexico and every bike goes flying past people wherever they can fit. We even passed big trucks on the dirt next to the road going over the topes (speed bumps) in small towns at 2 kmh and the policia didn't even look at us twice. Even the cops in California use the shoulder to pass people going less than 70 in the Carpool lane.
Drumboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:53 PM   #128
HoustonGixxer

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

linky no work
HoustonGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #129
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

I've done my research and contacted Gary Elkins our local state rep. I recommend you look up his info and send a email to them stating you support the bill. His staff is researching it and promised me that if it looks like it has a shot to get all the data ready and perhaps try in the next house session.

I shave off 20 mins daily @ Kuykenhald and 1960 by squeezing through to the parking lot and squeening back in to traffic. I want to split so bad, but can't justify the legal consequences when some houston driver swerves over or i make a mistake. If it was legal, i'd do it in a heartbeat. I just am a law abider and have a hard time pushing it that far, since their a lot of LE on 1960
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #130
Fuzzy018

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2009 HD Dyna - Super Glide

Wish they'd make it legal here like Cali.
Fuzzy018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #131
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
i do it when i know the line is long for some dumb reason like people not paying attention at lights

or if my bike is getting SUPER hot between my legs from sitting in 100deg texas heat on 59 or 45 off i go! to cool down! i need to buy some of those rhino tires though or have them spray that stuff in a pilot power then id never have to worry about nails on the side of the road.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:40 PM   #132
D-Mo

Bike(s):
'06 FZ6

I've done it a couple times before, but it made me really nervous, so I just flat out avoid places I know get backed up at certain times. Helped me learn the area a bit better, but I would definitely split if it was legal and people knew to watch out.
D-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:32 PM   #133
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

i split when i see the light turn red and can easily go to the front and i do it slow cause im scared some off person will open his door cause he can or just isnt paying attention. and i would never ride on the shoulder. too much trash that is a guaranteed flat.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #134
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Exclamation

if you guys want to do something about it... go to: http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/welcome.php

Then type in your info to find your legislature. Advise that you support the HB 1522 (i think that's the #), and that Gary Elkins office is researching for submitting and you want their support for this, as it is good for traffic congestion, city pollution, and motorcylist safety.

AMA hasn't officially taken supportive stance, but advocate trying for it.

RATHER THAN CONTINUE doing something illegally that we know is safer for bikers, take an actual step to make a difference!

ALSO, calling it lane Filtering sounds much better than splitting politicaly, so use that term: lane filtering.

i'd filter if it was legal, at this point with the LEO patrols on 1960, i find it risky and not worth the few minutes saved. Reckless driving/riding ticket, isn't much fun and the few minutes i save each day won't comensate $200 fines and a day in court. I'd split regardless of the publics view in a heartbeat if i thought it was legal, or no consequences to it.

I currently only will split between a couple construction cones when getting through parking lots right now, no official riding between lines of cars.... thats all i can muster until its not illegal anymore

Last edited by specterunseen; 03-06-2008 at 10:34 AM. Reason: more content
Old 03-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #135
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdvet View Post
I think Cashtown on here had a problem with a cager around the Med Center for splitting lanes.
I saw someone do something like that, use turning lane, then cut in front of everyone. One mistake from that sports car and it would have been head on with the oncoming lane... I couldn't believe it. Leave filtering to bikes, cars are too large, the mistakes too devasting to others.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #136
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonhull View Post
if you guys want to do something about it... go to: http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/welcome.php

Then type in your info to find your legislature. Advise that you support the HB 1522 (i think that's the #), and that Gary Elkins office is researching for submitting and you want their support for this, as it is good for traffic congestion, city pollution, and motorcylist safety.

RATHER THAN CONTINUE doing something illegally that we know is safer for bikers, take an actual step to make a difference!

ALSO, calling it lane Filtering sounds much better than splitting politicaly, so use that term: lane filtering.

i'd filter if it was legal, at this point with the LEO patrols on 1960, i find it risky and not worth the few minutes saved. Reckless driving/riding ticket, isn't much fun and the few minutes i save each day won't comensate $200 fines and a day in court. I'd split regardless of the publics view in a heartbeat if i thought it was legal, or no consequences to it.

I currently only will split between a couple construction cones when getting through parking lots right now, no official riding between lines of cars.... thats all i can muster until its not illegal anymore
Dude this is Awesome
Old 03-06-2008, 10:38 AM   #137
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandito View Post
i split when i see the light turn red and can easily go to the front and i do it slow cause im scared some off person will open his door cause he can or just isnt paying attention. and i would never ride on the shoulder. too much trash that is a guaranteed flat.
yeah, i avoid that though per i've noticed many times i wanted to and waited that their was a LEO in the other traffic line... they don't look kindly on that.

I also note, MOST of the time in general riding the people in front take off in houston likes its a race, so i really have to push it and speed a bit if i want to leave them behind, its safer to me right now to just wait, and no conseq or ticket because i was patient.. I can move through traffic easy anyway, so i don't really stay behind them long.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:27 PM   #138
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

Quote:

HB 1522 pertains to Heavy Trucks being parked in neighborhoods.

I can't find a bill related to lane filtering or splitting. I'm think there's not one yet.
XRCajun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #139
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
HB 1522 pertains to Heavy Trucks being parked in neighborhoods.

I can't find a bill related to lane filtering or splitting. I'm think there's not one yet.
It was submitted a while back, like 2 years, so the current house bill numbers won't match.... If it was resubmitted it would most likely have a different bill number...
Old 03-07-2008, 01:23 PM   #140
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
It was submitted a while back, like 2 years, so the current house bill numbers won't match.... If it was resubmitted it would most likely have a different bill number...
do you know if it was resubmitted, as far as i had heard, it was dead in the water.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement