MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2007, 09:23 AM   #21
DRR2326
Biker Ordiment!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Don't own a bike yet! Still working on that one!

Send a message via AIM to DRR2326
This thread has let me know that when i get my bike I should also have a bank account set up that is designated for tickets.
DRR2326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LOOKING FOR - i45 stuners member, X-member ob BB-mc Sabatech Stunters Lounge 8 12-07-2009 02:10 AM
9's Across The Board TheRRguy Off Topic 15 08-16-2008 09:50 AM
isnt there a member on this board that installs cable outlets? Din Off Topic 6 08-11-2007 12:54 AM
Message board member goes on shooting rampage Swift E Off Topic 10 11-07-2005 04:41 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2007, 09:32 AM   #22
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRR2326 View Post
This thread has let me know that when i get my bike I should also have a bank account set up that is designated for tickets.

Cops cant get you in the HOV lane, in fact I was sitting in the HOV lane 1 day I had passed a few cars and surprise a cop I pulled in behind him rush hour traffic Major stop and go it was HOT I was wearing my leather jacket. Cops rolls down the window and signals me to pull up I do he says "what are you doing?" I say sitting here getting hot going no where fast or something thinking that he is going to lecture me give me a ticket screw me good I knew I was wrong, and he says "you look hot, go on and be safe" I look at him he rolled up his window and I continued to pass cars. NOT saying all cops are cool but this dude was that was this summer 290 HOV lane yup
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:34 AM   #23
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Which HOV lane?

The eastex HOV is wide enough for 2.5 cars in most places. Drive 75mph on that thing and you won't last 10 minutes.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:07 AM   #24
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I think I have gone 175 in the 290 HOV. With gear. Not passing cars. Felt fairly safe to me, I mean, no one is gonna pull out in front of ya, right? No dogs, no kids, on bikes.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:53 AM   #25
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
I so disagree speeding takes skill to do it successfully weather your rounding a bend or shooting straight. There are many thing to focus on at once. Any fool can twist the throttle but it takes skill to controll the bike
Exactly why I like to run the backroads at a buck with one arm across the tank and one on the gas... just takes one hand to twist the throttle and shifting is optional anyhow....

Especially with good tunes on the MP3!
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #26
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Exactly why I like to run the backroads at a buck with one arm across the tank and one on the gas... just takes one hand to twist the throttle and shifting is optional anyhow....

Especially with good tunes on the MP3!
what you did not know that you could shift with using the clutch?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
Old 09-27-2007, 11:08 AM   #27
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
what you did not know that you could shift with using the clutch?

uhh, DUH!

But I don't need to downshift out of 5th unless I get below 35 or so; torque rules!
Old 09-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #28
eugene

it was the HOV on 59...the stretch that runs from 45 to sugar land/stafford area.

well regarding what speed he passed...i just didn't think much before i posted the entries. i was going about 75-80, therefore at the rate of speed he passed me and some of the other cars, he had to go AT LEAST 5mph higher than us. but what i was most amazed about was that he even passed a duelly where the HOV goes under and the lane gets real narrow (i think the exit was weslayan).

my main point of all this is that i found it insane for someone to be riding so recklessly.
eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #29
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene View Post
it was the HOV on 59...the stretch that runs from 45 to sugar land/stafford area.

well regarding what speed he passed...i just didn't think much before i posted the entries. i was going about 75-80, therefore at the rate of speed he passed me and some of the other cars, he had to go AT LEAST 5mph higher than us. but what i was most amazed about was that he even passed a duelly where the HOV goes under and the lane gets real narrow (i think the exit was weslayan).

my main point of all this is that i found it insane for someone to be riding so recklessly.
If you dont mind me asking

whats your age?
bike you ride?
and experience?

I agree it was reckless in that area. But in certain situtation I dont deem it reckless like in NoFear's example.

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:17 PM   #30
eugene

21, 06 r6 (my main commuter bike) and have been riding for almost 4 years now.

i understand if it is about to rain or something, but it was not about to rain or anything.
eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:26 PM   #31
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

How do ya'll feel if your in your lane, and someone in a cage decides to share your lane... or decides to pass you in your lane?
Old 09-27-2007, 12:33 PM   #32
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
How do ya'll feel if your in your lane, and someone in a cage decides to share your lane... or decides to pass you in your lane?
a car is a lot bigger then a bike

and 2nd I've been on the hov maybe a total of 4 times

I put my blinker on, increase speed and pass, switch blinker, and give a little thank you gesture IF they slide over for me.

where is mckee?
Old 09-27-2007, 12:35 PM   #33
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrob25 View Post
Make up your mind man! The guy was flying by you so fast at 5- 10 mph faster then you? He was going 75, then it's you were going 75-80. Good lord! This is a retarded thread. This biker was not to brite for passing in a hov lane. Thats putting other people at risk. Who cares about the freakin gear. I get so tired of people getting such a hard time about it. Your not breaking the law by not wearing gear and your only hurting yourself by not wearing gear. Don't worry about people not wearring gear. It's not your problem!
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:37 PM   #34
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Along the same lines, I've become addicted to lane splitting.

I take I-10 to 59S to 288S every morning at rush hour, and I pretty much split lanes all the way from Minute Maid Park on 59 to the MacGregor exit off 288.

I refuse to sit in traffic and bake for 45 minutes in the morning with my work clothes under my leathers.

Sad to say, but I laugh heartily when cagers honk - and sometimes they'll lay on the horn for so long that I ride well out of hearing distance - I don't know what they mean to accomplish by that. Voicing their displeasure with me?

Oh well. I know it's illegal. One day some car will change lanes in front of me while I'm splitting and I'll plow 'em and then you can all say, "I told you so."

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:57 PM   #35
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

I just look at these things.. lane splitting in rush hour, passing people on the HOV lane, flying past traffic at 100+, wheelies on the interstate..

As just one more reason why the cops crack down on us ALL so hard. Sport bike riders (and yes, I will say cruisers are in a very small number here) are a very small group compared to all the cagers, but these little things we do make us stand out and just people off.

Anyhow, free world, and thanks for improving the motorcyclists overall image to the public!
Old 09-27-2007, 12:59 PM   #36
Schmitty
um... i like beer.

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
04 Gixxer 750
06 Honda 300EX
09 extreme 125cc pit bike

Member Garage

Quote:
I usually see it coming and if i don't then i will always see them when the get up next to me. In this case i just move over. If i can't move over i give it some gas and get in front of them. I don't hit the brakes for fear of getting run over. People are gonna move into your lane all the time. They don't see you or they don't care. I've just gotten used to it. That is why you have mirrors. If you don't have mirrors then be aware of you surroundings. Not a big deal after it happens a bunch of times.
Schmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:19 PM   #37
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmckee View Post
a car is a lot bigger then a bike

and 2nd I've been on the hov maybe a total of 4 times

I put my blinker on, increase speed and pass, switch blinker, and give a little thank you gesture IF they slide over for me.
A Car & a Bike sharing a lane, take the same amount of room regardless of who initiates it.
If your going to be 'invade' a lane occupied by another vehicle, you cannot reasonbly get upset if/when they attempt to do the same (this comment for the general views and not direct at you L).

As an aside, you're signaling and giving them a chance to see your wish/intent. Which is a bit more than what we see quite a few others do, and thus is the bigger issue/concern.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:23 PM   #38
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
A Car & a Bike sharing a lane, take the same amount of room regardless of who initiates it.
If your going to be 'invade' a lane occupied by another vehicle, you cannot reasonbly get upset if/when they attempt to do the same (this comment for the general views and not direct at you L).

As an aside, you're signaling and giving them a chance to see your wish/intent. Which is a bit more than what we see quite a few others do, and thus is the bigger issue/concern.
I understand

but MOST cars can not accelerate like a bike, nor handle like one.

where is mckee?
Old 09-27-2007, 01:33 PM   #39
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
I just look at these things.. lane splitting in rush hour, passing people on the HOV lane, flying past traffic at 100+, wheelies on the interstate..

As just one more reason why the cops crack down on us ALL so hard. Sport bike riders (and yes, I will say cruisers are in a very small number here) are a very small group compared to all the cagers, but these little things we do make us stand out and just people off.

Anyhow, free world, and thanks for improving the motorcyclists overall image to the public!
It's not like I'm lane splitting while wheelieing.

But I do see your point.

Too bad it's not legal here like it is in California. I will continue to split lanes though (I do so as responsibly as possible - I'm not running in first at 50 mph with the pipe screaming while the traffic I'm passing is sitting still) and will weigh the benefit that I reep against any harms that are bestowed upon the general motorcycling public - afterall I are one.

Like you say, there are far worse things to do on two wheels (or one) that negatively impact us as a whole. I think, for the most part, cagers are generally pretty neutral about lane splitting.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:03 PM   #40
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Lane Splitting is good and it should be legalized It it Good for America and its Good for Mother Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
It's not like I'm lane splitting while wheelieing.

But I do see your point.

Too bad it's not legal here like it is in California. I will continue to split lanes though (I do so as responsibly as possible - I'm not running in first at 50 mph with the pipe screaming while the traffic I'm passing is sitting still) and will weigh the benefit that I reep against any harms that are bestowed upon the general motorcycling public - afterall I are one.

Like you say, there are far worse things to do on two wheels (or one) that negatively impact us as a whole. I think, for the most part, cagers are generally pretty neutral about lane splitting.

Advertisement