MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2007, 10:24 AM   #21
level5
moving chicane

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastGSXR View Post
I actually purchased my Nina from a roadside stand out on Beechnut & hwy 6.

However, the breeder was EXTREMELY thorough, he had both parents out there, so I was able to play with them a little to see if they were approachable/friendly. They were healthy and in very good shape. The puppies were well kept, clean, and plump, and papers were on the spot.

Based on this info and the presentation of himself and the pups, i felt confident in my purchase. I'm not saying it's the end all to buying em, BUT I was comfortable buying from him.
I am glad that you know what you are doing but I have seen plenty of people buying the pups without knowing where it came from.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Had my first roadside issue tonight Pappahymen Cruisers Lounge 4 06-03-2012 12:16 AM
Roadside Assistance morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 02-09-2011 04:28 PM
I can help, but don't belong in the roadside thread. Phydeaux General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 06-29-2009 06:45 AM
motorcycle roadside assistance? jacob General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 11-13-2007 01:04 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2007, 10:26 AM   #22
Crystalline
Can't ride now...

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Send a message via Yahoo to Crystalline
Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
Don't blame the breeder, blame the buyers. I would never buy any from these roadside breeder. A lot of people don't know anything about a certain breed especially pit bull and goes out to buy one because of rumors that they are the baddest dog.
Then if no one buys the puppies, what will happen to them? People sell their dogs to who ever and don't give a who buys them. How irresponsible. It's a good thing that they are trying to put an end to this, but how effective will it be? People live off of breeding. There are good breeders that keep a certain blood line going and there is nothing wrong with it (even though I would never buy one) but there are also breeders who like Faylaricia said. They just don't give a about their dogs but it's okay as long as they bring some sort of income. They sell puppies to some family who's child wanted a puppy so badly only for the pup to die in a couple of days because of how unhealthy he/she was or fluid in the lungs (which in unavoidable) or hearworms. They just don't care as long as they make their $50.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:27 AM   #23
Candy
The Most Intolerable bish

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
'06 GSXR 1000
'02 GSXR 750

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Candy
Quote:
I am glad that you know what you are doing but I have seen plenty of people buying the pups without knowing where it came from.
Oh absolutely I AGREE, but stupid is as stupid does and if the breeders are available there are ALWAYS gonna be stupid ones to take advantage of.. stopping the breeders is the key.

Now I know they won't stop them all, but it's a valid start.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:29 AM   #24
Crystalline
Can't ride now...

Quote:

+1
Old 09-25-2007, 10:33 AM   #25
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalline View Post
[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]It's a good thing that they are trying to put an end to this, but how effective will it be? People live off of breeding.

Most of these 'backyard' breeders don't live off their puppy business. You gotta have a LOT of dogs to make some kind of profit.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:33 AM   #26
SugarDaddy
Sugz Darko....

Send a message via Yahoo to SugarDaddy
NO MORE MIXED PUPPIES!!! lol...i see them every weekend near the flea markets... Pit Bull Puppies... and the pups look like Rott/Golden Retriever mixes....lol
SugarDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:33 AM   #27
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastGSXR View Post
Oh absolutely I AGREE, but stupid is as stupid does and if the breeders are available there are ALWAYS gonna be stupid ones to take advantage of.. stopping the breeders is the key.

Now I know they won't stop them all, but it's a valid start.
Its like drug dealers....

only I dont like dog breeders

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:34 AM   #28
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDaddy View Post
NO MORE MIXED PUPPIES!!! lol...i see them every weekend near the flea markets... Pit Bull Puppies... and the pups look like Rott/Golden Retriever mixes....lol

Who says the "mom & dad" are even the real parents.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:35 AM   #29
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDaddy View Post
I only buy mixed pups.

The best dog I ever had, Health/personilites/smart

was a german shepard husky beagle lab mix

no I dont know how the beagle did it but i give him props

where is mckee?
Old 09-25-2007, 10:38 AM   #30
Crystalline
Can't ride now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia View Post
Most of these 'backyard' breeders don't live off their puppy business. You gotta have a LOT of dogs to make some kind of profit.
I don't mean ALL of them. But I have seen some capable of doing this. Breeding, no matter who does it is a lot of work regardless.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:41 AM   #31
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

I have "given away" puppys at a wal-mart before. I have two pure bred females, a black lab with a champion bloodline, and a golden retriever. I had someone's stray get into my yard (5 acres at that time) and breed the lab. So what do you do then? I had 3 options, one was to kill them, which I am too much of a dog lover to do, turn them into the SPCA or similar, which they may or not get killed anyways, or give them to families. Now granted, I can't be 100% sure each family is a good one, but every single one I gave away was picked out by a little kid. Now, their father was kenneled up by me and sent off. By allowing people to give/sell puppies on public property, it allows them to make sure each dog gets a home. There is no way to make sure no criminal activities happen, or that each animal is treated fairly. What do you think a poor family that doesn't care about their dogs are going to do with the puppies if they can't sell them? When I lived on a farm, I found a trash bag with an entire litter tossed off a bridge into a small creek. While the positive side of this is nice, there are even worse things that can happen. I personally am not sure how I feel either way.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:51 AM   #32
Crystalline
Can't ride now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs69 View Post
I have "given away" puppys at a wal-mart before. I have two pure bred females, a black lab with a champion bloodline, and a golden retriever. I had someone's stray get into my yard (5 acres at that time) and breed the lab. So what do you do then? I had 3 options, one was to kill them, which I am too much of a dog lover to do, turn them into the SPCA or similar, which they may or not get killed anyways, or give them to families. Now granted, I can't be 100% sure each family is a good one, but every single one I gave away was picked out by a little kid. Now, their father was kenneled up by me and sent off. By allowing people to give/sell puppies on public property, it allows them to make sure each dog gets a home. There is no way to make sure no criminal activities happen, or that each animal is treated fairly. What do you think a poor family that doesn't care about their dogs are going to do with the puppies if they can't sell them? When I lived on a farm, I found a trash bag with an entire litter tossed off a bridge into a small creek. While the positive side of this is nice, there are even worse things that can happen. I personally am not sure how I feel either way.
When my poodle got pregnant because she was the neighnborhood ! we would have the puppies and give them away too. She had such cute puppies and I was never allowed to keep one. Dogs get pregnant on accident, but people purposely breed them and sell them saying all these lies about the blood line. That is just wrong. Yes, I know not all breeders are not like this...
Old 09-26-2007, 09:53 AM   #33
wlgorman

Bike(s):
'06 CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuckzx7 View Post
I can't stand the traffic jam on a Saturday morning because asshats driving slow down to look at the cute little puppies. If you wanna gawk at 'em, go to a pet store or petting zoo.....the roadside is no place for a flea market....I think they should ban those roadside oriental rug guys too, along with the pecan/watermelon selling fools (except in the country of course).
wtf dude how can you say that about the fruit stands...I live on those things!!!

defeat
wlgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:54 AM   #34
Fuzzy018

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2009 HD Dyna - Super Glide

PRIORITIES ARE ALL SCREWED UP.
Fuzzy018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:55 AM   #35
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalline View Post
When my poodle got pregnant because she was the neighnborhood ! we would have the puppies and give them away too. She had such cute puppies and I was never allowed to keep one. Dogs get pregnant on accident, but people purposely breed them and sell them saying all these lies about the blood line. That is just wrong. Yes, I know not all breeders are not like this...
hahaahha your dog is a just lik...

uh

nevermind

death to sidewalk breeders!

where is mckee?
Old 09-26-2007, 10:21 AM   #36
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlgorman View Post
wtf dude how can you say that about the fruit stands...I live on those things!!!
and if you live in Angleton, you live in the country...no worries.... I'm talking about the idiots on 1960 and the like in heavily populated/traffic areas.
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:25 AM   #37
BoostJunky

I bought my dog at traders village. His papers say he's a full pom, but obviously from pics he is not. However, he is the best dog ever and I would not trade him for the WORLD. I've had absolutly no health problems with him and he's almost 4yrs old.
BoostJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:06 PM   #38
SugarDaddy
Sugz Darko....

Send a message via Yahoo to SugarDaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostJunky View Post
I bought my dog at traders village. His papers say he's a full pom, but obviously from pics he is not. However, he is the best dog ever and I would not trade him for the WORLD. I've had absolutly no health problems with him and he's almost 4yrs old.
+1 i bought our two pits from a backyard breeder...HOWEVER...he was very knowledgable for what he was doing and of the breed...we received papers and pedigree copies for our pups...
SugarDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:56 PM   #39
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Well, I can tell you from having worked at a vet before, the pups we got in with problems all came from backyard breeders, roadside puppy sales, etc. The issues ranged from Parvo to demodectic mange.

Some 'breeders' sell the puppys on the side of the road because they don't want folks to see how they house their dogs. Or because all other puppies sold and this one didn't.

An acquaintance of mine got a great dane pup from the side of the road by Traders Village and it was the only pup they had. Needless to say, the dog ended up with Parvo a couple days later and the vet told the new owner that for his age, the pup was too small. Well, duuh. She told me she knew better but he just looked so cute. It was an impulse buy. An impulse buy that ended up costing her a thousand Dollars. ... allthewile another dog at the SPCA got put down because he didn't have the chance to look cute to someone and there wasn't enough room in the shelter.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:33 PM   #40
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

im sure they do that also to try to stop animal cruelty. that quarterback rings the bell?

i think they wanna get ppl to leave some sort of record when they buy a puppy from a reputable shop. so they can be traced and identified in case of some misstreatment

i mean if you buy a puppy down the road, you can buy 10 or 20

and do bad things, from a reputable shop, they will know if you get more than one it would be too odd

at least thats what i would personally pursue just my .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement