Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2007, 01:05 PM   #41
OJgsxr

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 GSXR 750
2008 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to OJgsxr
I think its a great idea. Its really the only way to sort out "new" riders who have enough street experience but haven't had their "M" long enough to run in the groups and those who are truely green. If they are using the track as a learning grounds they need to be taking the instructions in the class and having someone looking over their shoulder to make sure they don't hurt themselves and especially others.

Overall a good way to encourage responsibility in the newer riders and get them to learn their limits before they go past them. I know how easy it is to think you are better than you are, I learned the hard way and I hope this prevents someone else from learning the way I did.
OJgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
N00b questions: What front forks do I have and TMGP tire questions E-Train Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 10-24-2013 08:04 AM
First trackday questions bun1t Taking it to the Track 42 04-07-2012 09:38 PM
Never been to a trackday...? Anyone here? Snow Taking it to the Track 21 12-06-2010 12:03 PM
My first trackday...... mongofeet General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 11-14-2006 11:58 AM
TRACKDAY!!!! brendan0918 General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 03-21-2006 12:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2007, 01:05 PM   #42
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Guidelines and rules come from past experience and preventative actions. Rules, by and large, are not designed to be perfect and can not be "all encompassing".

I think both requirements have good points that are more important than negative (I actually can't think of any reason not to have both...).

If you are riding a motorcycle, and you have a Class M, you've demonstrated via written test and practical application to the State that you at least know how to operate the vehicle safely on the streets (a verifiable credential).

The MSF is a very good source of education to teach how to handle a motorcycle well, and provides documentation as well. I know I learned a lot when I took it (back in '85, I'm sure it's just as good now as then), and it taught me all kinds of techniques that I actually use on the track (however involuntary it has become). There are advanced classes for MSF too that expound on those skills.

Besides, it's for the new people anyway, those people that aren't within the group don't need to worry about this, and likely possess the credentials anyway.

As I mentioned, stay tuned for some exciting track time next year!
How is the "Learn to wheel past the finish line school" coming along?

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:06 PM   #43
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
How is the "Learn to wheel past the finish line school" coming along?
I'd like to be able to woolie but I'd be the asshat who loops it on the final lap.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #44
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift E View Post
I'd like to be able to woolie but I'd be the asshat who loops it on the final lap.
Sliding past the finish counts right?

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:45 PM   #45
dnix600

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuckzx7 View Post
Not a problem, the term squid is used quite often, but just because you have on proper gear, etc. doesn't make you an exemption of the term. I have seen/done plenty of squidly moves (i.e. weaving in/out of cars on the highway, highway wheelies, lack of gear, etc.) in my day. Riding fearlessly and without caution puts ya in the squid bracket if you ask me.
dnix600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement