MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 06:19 PM   #21
jscstar13
Couldnt think of anything

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
05 R6, 400EX (sold), R1 - soon to come

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
wow, 1000mi in 10 mos.
+11111

I use mobile1 mx4t and I like it. a little pricy but if you do it yourself it will save a lot
jscstar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil questions - Time for an oil change bioGuru General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 04-09-2014 08:32 PM
A Couple of Noob Questions z0sum Taking it to the Track 8 05-22-2013 06:26 PM
Noob questions 01ls1ws6 General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 03-13-2012 01:08 PM
ktm questions and info for the noob mekrew Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 21 04-24-2008 02:54 PM
Questions from a track NooB- please advise gahboo Taking it to the Track 32 11-28-2007 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #22
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapata View Post
You do not need a stand...!!! Is really easy to change it, just DO NOT over torque the plug when installing it back. Also install a new cooper crush washer in the oil plug.

Get whatever oil you want (Synthetic is the best) and a "Purolator PureOne" oil filter.

If you are riding in the Katy area, feel free to PM and I will help you with the change.
everything has it's application. fully synthetic may be good in 1 thing....but can be bad in another. i'd go with the reg stuff.....but i change mine a lot, so it really doesn't matter.

and for all the people who say do it yourself...."save a little money", that's entirely true....you save a little money. if you don't know what you are doing.....even something simple as an oil change can do some major damage if not done correctly.

me, i hate changing my own oil.....i like tinkering with my bikes and stuff....but for an extra $10 on top of the oil/filter......i'll let Motorcycles Unlimited do it for me. plus they can give your bike a 50 point (or whatever the number is) inspection to make sure everything is good.

AS FOR OIL/FILTER.......IF CHANGED REGULARLY....IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU USE. i prefer Motul oil and HiFlo oil filters.......but it's all preference.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:39 PM   #23
AKA

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
everything has it's application. fully synthetic may be good in 1 thing....but can be bad in another. i'd go with the reg stuff.....but i change mine a lot, so it really doesn't matter.

and for all the people who say do it yourself...."save a little money", that's entirely true....you save a little money. if you don't know what you are doing.....even something simple as an oil change can do some major damage if not done correctly.

me, i hate changing my own oil.....i like tinkering with my bikes and stuff....but for an extra $10 on top of the oil/filter......i'll let Motorcycles Unlimited do it for me. plus they can give your bike a 50 point (or whatever the number is) inspection to make sure everything is good.

AS FOR OIL/FILTER.......IF CHANGED REGULARLY....IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU USE. i prefer Motul oil and HiFlo oil filters.......but it's all preference.

good point!!!!!!!
AKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #24
DannyBoy

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 1000
03 RM 100
FIDDY
06 DRZ400SM
08 CAN AM SPYDER

tested

Purolator Pure One for an oil filter?

I saw a post about this oil filter a few weeks ago. I looked on Purolator's website to see what number my gixxer would take. Nothing listed for motorcycles. But they had an oil filter hotline. I called the 800 number and the Purolator guy said they did not make one for my Gixxer. I was about to hang up and the guy said "could I tell you a little more?" Sure. He said there were two articles on the internet that talked about changing a motorcycle's oil and using a Purolator PureOne oil filter. He said that they have not been tested or approved for motorcycle use by Purolator. I am not sure how people are finding which one to use on their bikes.
DannyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:35 PM   #25
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapata View Post
Is really easy to change it, just DO NOT over torque the plug when installing it back.

quoted for truth! just put it in nice and easy by hand at first, it should go right in, almost like by itself. once its hand tight, just use the wrench or ratchet to tighten slightly, not too much.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:47 AM   #26
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Just about every test I have seen WIX score at or near the top, and FRAM is near the bottom. I have also seen and read enough horror stories on FRAM to steer clear. Not to mention bad personal experience years ago...
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:53 AM   #27
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Speaking of filters for Suzukis.. these fit a lot of them:

STP SMO-18 (Most Popular)
Wix: 51359
NAPA Gold 1359 (same Wix 51359)
Amsoil: SMF109
K&N: KN-138
PerfForm: J-509
Purolator: ML6818
HiFlo Filtro HF138
Fram PH6018 (Not a Good Filter)
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:59 AM   #28
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBoy View Post
Purolator Pure One for an oil filter?

I saw a post about this oil filter a few weeks ago. I looked on Purolator's website to see what number my gixxer would take. Nothing listed for motorcycles. But they had an oil filter hotline. I called the 800 number and the Purolator guy said they did not make one for my Gixxer. I was about to hang up and the guy said "could I tell you a little more?" Sure. He said there were two articles on the internet that talked about changing a motorcycle's oil and using a Purolator PureOne oil filter. He said that they have not been tested or approved for motorcycle use by Purolator. I am not sure how people are finding which one to use on their bikes.
From this website: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

GSXRs will use the #2 filter on that page, the cross numbers are:

AMSOil SMF 109
Bike Master 314-0025
Champion PH7016
Cycle Power 314-1919
Emgo 10-55662
Emgo 10-55660
Fram PH6018
Hi-Flo HF138
J.C.Whitney ZX063166P
K&N 138