MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2007, 08:23 AM   #21
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

The two aprilias had the same gearing. My bike is completely stock. I think the smr450 had one gear to go in the morning and I was in top gear at the end of the back straights. He changed his rear sprocket and then we were closer in gearing but it didn't make much difference in acceleration. No idea what the CRF was running.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My SuperMoto..... 225 Super Motards 51 07-20-2012 07:59 PM
To supermoto or not to supermoto? kdog22 General Discussion (Moto Related) 65 02-14-2009 12:01 PM
Supermoto... wlgorman General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 11-07-2007 10:36 PM
You think SUPERMOTO is new??? wd40oz Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 5 01-26-2007 01:05 AM
SUPERMOTO C-MONEY Taking it to the Track 14 11-30-2006 01:40 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2007, 10:00 AM   #22
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RSVR View Post
The two aprilias had the same gearing. My bike is completely stock. I think the smr450 had one gear to go in the morning and I was in top gear at the end of the back straights. He changed his rear sprocket and then we were closer in gearing but it didn't make much difference in acceleration. No idea what the CRF was running.
Well you do realize that as far as your speed goes in the straights the size of the front and rear sprockets can make all the difference. It's pretty difficult making a comparison speed wise if your comparing apples and oranges.

I truely do and I'm sure everyone else also appreciates your input on the bikes because it is valuable, but trying to say one was faster here or there may not be a valid point although I'm sure it is what you experienced. I just wouldn't want someone considering buying a SM to make they're decision based on which one seems to be faster. These bikes can all be set up a number of diffent ways depending on the purpose you want. For instance right at this moment my supermoto'd XR650R will do almost 140mph on the rode. I kind of doubt your getting that kind of speed on the track and if I had it on the track I'd probably gear it so that it wouldn't go that fast at top speed either.

Just some fair input. Not meant to be abraisive.
XRCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:12 AM   #23
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post
So I'm in the market for a new bike now...

Mini supermoto is fun, so I was wondering how cool a full size one would be for the street/track... The Aprilia seems the nicest.

Supposedly, the Suzi is underpowered for the street, but its cheap(er).

Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Other sugestions
http://www.bosshoss.net/Default.asp

or a

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/to...wk-Concept.htm
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-

Last edited by NoFear; 01-08-2008 at 11:04 AM.
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:55 AM   #24
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
Well you do realize that as far as your speed goes in the straights the size of the front and rear sprockets can make all the difference. It's pretty difficult making a comparison speed wise if your comparing apples and oranges.

I truely do and I'm sure everyone else also appreciates your input on the bikes because it is valuable, but trying to say one was faster here or there may not be a valid point although I'm sure it is what you experienced. I just wouldn't want someone considering buying a SM to make they're decision based on which one seems to be faster. These bikes can all be set up a number of diffent ways depending on the purpose you want. For instance right at this moment my supermoto'd XR650R will do almost 140mph on the rode. I kind of doubt your getting that kind of speed on the track and if I had it on the track I'd probably gear it so that it wouldn't go that fast at top speed either.

Just some fair input. Not meant to be abraisive.
For clarification. My comparisons on speed were on the back straight at MSR-H. I left turning out of the equation because that is much more rider skill than bike performance in this case (besides, we all know Larry is faster). I'm just trying to say that for me, the SXV5.5 is worth the effort. When I rode the SXV4.5 I immediately missed mine. After Larry rode mine, once he had his 450, he said "I want your motor". I am lucky that my bike is geared very well for my favorite track in stock form. On the SXV 450 I was running out of steam around 90, on my 550 I'm hitting the limiter around 118 on the same straight.

It's the best example of performance I can give when comparing motards. The weights are close and I don't have enough experience to compare handling. IMO, that can be changed most significantly by tires and the other three had better tires than I did. My stock dunlops are going to come off soon.

How is this, get anything else and you'll spend more to try and match the performace of the Aprilia. But, the Aprilia does have it's issues.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:49 PM   #25
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Here's a sweet little potential project for a Aprilia 450/550...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	6622   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aprilia%2520RSX%2520550.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	6623   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	6624  

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic3.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	6625  

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:28 PM   #26
Mad Max

Feedback Rating: (3)

Send a message via AIM to Mad Max
i am running 15-40 gearing at MSR-H. on the back straight before the sweeper i am hitting just shy of 9500rpm...which according to gearing should be around 95-100 mph (i don't have a tach). my crf dyno'ed a sliver under 44hp at the rear wheel on an FP mustang dyno with this gearing. granted this is with my slow riding it on my second trackday with the bike. ymmv
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement