MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007, 12:31 AM   #1
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Aprilia Supermoto? Or something else...

So I'm in the market for a new bike now...

Mini supermoto is fun, so I was wondering how cool a full size one would be for the street/track... The Aprilia seems the nicest.

Supposedly, the Suzi is underpowered for the street, but its cheap(er).

Thoughts? Other suggestions?
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My SuperMoto..... 225 Super Motards 51 07-20-2012 07:59 PM
To supermoto or not to supermoto? kdog22 General Discussion (Moto Related) 65 02-14-2009 12:01 PM
Supermoto... wlgorman General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 11-07-2007 10:36 PM
You think SUPERMOTO is new??? wd40oz Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 5 01-26-2007 01:05 AM
SUPERMOTO C-MONEY Taking it to the Track 14 11-30-2006 01:40 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2007, 12:32 AM   #2
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

you sell the bike yet? how much you ask for the 1000rr

-Harley Davidson is The Original Gangster
Nightster Ridester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:40 AM   #3
TheMagicMan
SBN Mechanic

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
'97-DR650 '01-RC51 '03-XR250R '83-XR80R '93-XR80R '03-XR50

dr650 FTW I love mine. It is not underpowered for the street just underpowered for the track and . You never have to work on it. Aircooled bulletproof
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:47 AM   #4
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzr600racer View Post
his insurance is gonna be buyin his bike.

and todd...i was thinkin the same thing. the aprilia sxv's are bad 's. if i was to get a motard right now, that'll be the one.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:48 AM   #5
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

the insurance is buyin his cbr 1000rr? why?

Old 09-24-2007, 12:49 AM   #6
Pre-K

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzr600racer View Post
Professional opinion is that the RR is totalled... but thats why I pay for FULL coverage, including medical.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:50 AM   #7
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

aww man you wrecked the blue/yellow 1000rr? dammmm bro sorry to hear that......been away from mh for a while..dam i really interested in buyin too

Old 09-24-2007, 01:02 AM   #8
chasee69
ballin' outta control!

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
CRF 50

i like the aprilla supermoto also. if i had the money thats what i would be riding. the duc hypermotard seems awesome but a little overkill

ducatisignature
chasee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:30 AM   #9
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
hey todd seriously buy that bike back.
Romeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:33 AM   #10
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

If your talking about the 450 I'd jump on it and never let it see the streets(well maybe some fun dowtown)
Old 09-24-2007, 09:32 AM   #11
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

build one! will be far cheaper than buying one...
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:06 AM   #12
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasee69 View Post
i like the aprilla supermoto also. if i had the money thats what i would be riding. the duc hypermotard seems awesome but a little overkill
no such thing as overkill! lol

but to answer the question at hand...i'd never have a supermoto as my only bike. they're just not practical enough. little tiny gas tanks only get you 100 miles at best, no wind protection, too tall of a seat height, and usually spinning too high rpms at freeway speeds (especially higher than freeway speeds). as a second bike it would be awesome tho. If i lived in another part of the country, like SoCal, or something similar, where everything is super crowded and lane spliting is legal, a supermoto would be the only way to go. But in the wide open spaces of Texas, they just aren't as much fun, all that super agile handling and flickability goes to a waste because there's nothing around tight enough to need it.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by SecretAgent; 09-24-2007 at 10:09 AM.
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:46 AM   #13
Drumboy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

I've heard the Apillia supermotos have some crazy maintenance issues.

I'd get a XR650L (street legal) and convert it.
Drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:10 AM   #14
[poser]
"the un-original"

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'o7 sv650s: Tundra DC 5.7: Trek 1.2
wish I had a motard / dual sport, it'll be next

convert a crf450r
Originally Posted by my father-in-law
Jason is hard to read, I can't always tell if he's joking or if his jugdment really is that bad
[poser] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #15
jmd4x4

Bike(s):
XR650R motard, FZ1

For TX highways you want something in the 650 rang. I am building a xr650r, I am almost done w/ it and I thing it will be the ticket for me.

later
jmd
jmd4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:02 PM   #16
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

Let me know if you have any questions about the Aprilia supermoto.

I love mine! BUT, be warned, they are high maintenance bikes. There is a reason my 550 is so fast straight off the showroom floor, it's a race engine. De-restricted the factory is offering a 90 day warranty. AF1 in New Braunfels promised that I would be well taken care of and I have complete faith in them. DO NOT buy from anyplace else, AF1 is worth the drive. You'll get the best service and price from them for anything Aprilia related. I'm getting a new motor, a 2007.5, in a week or two. I'm waiting to find out what makes it different than the 2007 motor. The fact that Aprilia USA is getting about 200 of the new motors in over the next couple weeks says something. I don't know if they intend to slowly replace all the motors or not. AF1 told me, after a recent dealers meeting, that Aprilia is aware of the issue and wants to make things right. The problems are not being ignored.

The SXV 450 is rumored to be less tempermental than the 550 and you can race it down here. Larry has the 450, I have the 550. I might get mine back in time for the next track day. If I don't I'll be there on my gsxr track bike.

I have a FAST BIKES magazine that compares 9 different super motos. I'll bring it to the track with me if you want. You may still be able to find it at the book store. It has a big USED 600s on the front of it and a CBR600 on the cover.

If you want something close to the SXV but less tempermental, check out the Husqvarna SM510. Looks good and performs great with two year warranty and regular maintenance. But, you are getting 13 less HP at the wheel than the Aprilia.

If I could do it over again, I'd still get the Aprilia again.
They are not street bikes, in spite of the lights and mirrors! They are not for commuting on. I don't ride on the street much so this wasn't an issue for me. If I was looking for a daily driver I would not buy the Aprilia. I guess you could commute on it but it wouldn't be much fun.

If you want a supermoto, check out supermotojunkie.com. They have a for sale section. I got a good deal on new so I took it, there are lots of used bikes out there, used SXVs also.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:55 PM   #17
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd4x4 View Post
For TX highways you want something in the 650 rang. I am building a xr650r, I am almost done w/ it and I thing it will be the ticket for me.

later
jmd
Hey Todd I've got an XR650R SM'd if you'd like to just test ride it? I'm not far from you. I've hardly riden it sense I got me 919.

I think you should buy your CBR back to have something for cruising the rode and then get or build a SM. Of course I don't know what the pay out and buy back of the insurance comp is. I'll bet the crash you had wouldn't have done nearly the damage to a SM that it did to your bike.
XRCajun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:19 PM   #18
Pre-K

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

The damage to the CBR is actually pretty extensive... I don't think it will be cost effective to buy 'er back.

So what kind of maintenance is involved with the Aprilia? I know the 550 motors are having sealing issues, but otherwise what do you have to do to keep 'em running???

I hear the '08 Huskies (with fuel injection) will be sweet!
Old 09-24-2007, 10:27 PM   #19
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

well, mine puked oil at about 250 miles so I didn't do to much.

I change my oil (1.25 liters) with every track day, transmission fluid every other track day.

Drain fluid out of the airbox (2 minute task) after every session.

The engine is very sensitive to oil level. The recomended procedure is to completely drain and then put in a measured amount and ignore the sight glass. Since it is dry sump, the sight tube is worthless anyway until the engine is warmed up. An oil change requires draining from three spots and checking the oil valve for marks (a 5 minute task). retentive types will rest the bike on it's side (onto a couple tires) and fill the oil filter recepticle with oil before closing it. Draining the oil tank is a rediculously messy procedure.

I hear good things about the new motors so hopefully the seal problem will be fixed. What happens is the coolant gets into the oil and the pressure in the engine rapidly rises causeing something to give. In my case it was the oil pressure sensor that blew out the side (ironic?).

I hear valve checks are frequent and it's best to drop the motor to do them. But it is supposed to be a quick process.

Some people are having no problems at all, commuting, track days, you name it. They are the exception.

NOBODY, rides one and thinks 'yeah, whatever, not so special..."

The bike rocks plain and simple, I won't have anything else. I've run with three other motards, a smr450, a crf 450r (mad max's rebuilt with hi-comp piston and more), and Larry on his SXV450. Larry and I switched, sxv4.5 vs 5.5, NO COMPARISON. I just kept waiting for the power. The SMR guy told me he had about 11 grand into his bike with a good amount of that for power, I walked right by him on the straights (we were about the same weight). I was faster on the straights than the built crf also but that engine was brand new and may be faster now that it's been ridden a bit, but, I weigh about 40 lbs more than Mad Max and his bike would have to be alot faster than it was the first day.

The SXV5.5 is a fast motard.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:33 AM   #20
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RSVR View Post
well, mine puked oil at about 250 miles so I didn't do to much.

I change my oil (1.25 liters) with every track day, transmission fluid every other track day.

Drain fluid out of the airbox (2 minute task) after every session.

The engine is very sensitive to oil level. The recomended procedure is to completely drain and then put in a measured amount and ignore the sight glass. Since it is dry sump, the sight tube is worthless anyway until the engine is warmed up. An oil change requires draining from three spots and checking the oil valve for marks (a 5 minute task). retentive types will rest the bike on it's side (onto a couple tires) and fill the oil filter recepticle with oil before closing it. Draining the oil tank is a rediculously messy procedure.

I hear good things about the new motors so hopefully the seal problem will be fixed. What happens is the coolant gets into the oil and the pressure in the engine rapidly rises causeing something to give. In my case it was the oil pressure sensor that blew out the side (ironic?).

I hear valve checks are frequent and it's best to drop the motor to do them. But it is supposed to be a quick process.

Some people are having no problems at all, commuting, track days, you name it. They are the exception.

NOBODY, rides one and thinks 'yeah, whatever, not so special..."

The bike rocks plain and simple, I won't have anything else. I've run with three other motards, a smr450, a crf 450r (mad max's rebuilt with hi-comp piston and more), and Larry on his SXV450. Larry and I switched, sxv4.5 vs 5.5, NO COMPARISON. I just kept waiting for the power. The SMR guy told me he had about 11 grand into his bike with a good amount of that for power, I walked right by him on the straights (we were about the same weight). I was faster on the straights than the built crf also but that engine was brand new and may be faster now that it's been ridden a bit, but, I weigh about 40 lbs more than Mad Max and his bike would have to be alot faster than it was the first day.

The SXV5.5 is a fast motard.

Any idea what the gear comparison would be between you and all the other bikes you ran with?
XRCajun is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement