Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #21
Vandals
Scooter

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha r1
1981 Honda Trail 110 -"The Tank"

Vandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to raise lowered bike.... angels05ss General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 04-23-2011 12:13 PM
Need my bike lowered Squoddybody General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 01-15-2010 08:17 PM
Lowered Expectations SPYDER BITE Off Topic 39 05-28-2008 11:30 AM
Lowered and set up Nightster Ridester Motorcycles Unlimited 0 10-31-2006 09:10 PM
lowered my bike finnaly! 05ravenr6 General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 08-04-2005 10:35 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2007, 06:46 PM   #22
rick
R.I.P. "B"

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
o5 gsxr 750

lowering a bike is a waste. just defeted the purpose of it.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:48 PM   #23
Vandals
Scooter

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha r1
1981 Honda Trail 110 -"The Tank"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
lowering a bike is a waste. just defeted the purpose of it.
maybe shes not looking at riding the bike to its full potential, dragging knee at the track, etc. ever possibly think that shes doing what she can to the bike she has now just to be able to ride, and enjoy the essence of riding?
Vandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:50 PM   #24
rick
R.I.P. "B"

Bike(s):
o5 gsxr 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandals View Post
maybe shes not looking at riding the bike to its full potential, dragging knee at the track, etc. ever possibly think that shes doing what she can to the bike she has now just to be able to ride, and enjoy the essence of riding?
thats not the point either, the point is it was built and balanced. now that the suspension has been tweaked(lowered) it just goes to . well from what i know.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:01 PM   #25
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
thats not the point either, the point is it was built and balanced. now that the suspension has been tweaked(lowered) it just goes to . well from what i know.
if she can't touch the ground then what? Not everyone wants to drag knee at 150mph.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:05 PM   #26
rick
R.I.P. "B"

Bike(s):
o5 gsxr 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
if she can't touch the ground then what? Not everyone wants to drag knee at 150mph.
well if she can touch ground ,then lean it at a stop. and who goes 150? its not about that im just saying since lowering the bike is a waste , so if you guys wanna be all on her in her defense then thats cool im stating that lowering the bike is pointless,ive seen little asian dudes on bike who lower it and they tell me it handels like and all i say is i know it defeats the purpose.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:35 PM   #27
GoChickRiderG
AKA GoBikerChickG

Bike(s):
07 CBR600 RR

Lowered Bike question

This is a stupid question but I'm learing as a newbie. Got my 07CBR lowered; Not too happy with it. Can I get it back to stock height by having them simply remove the lowering link? How is the cost, reasonable? Any shops you can recommend?
GoChickRiderG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #28
eugene

it can be done yourself.
eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #29
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChickRiderG View Post
This is a stupid question but I'm learing as a newbie. Got my 07CBR lowered; Not too happy with it. Can I get it back to stock height by having them simply remove the lowering link? How is the cost, reasonable? Any shops you can recommend?
Bring it to me and I,ll do it for free, may need the old link tho, did they give it to U or do U have the adjustable type?
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:16 PM   #30
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

Quote:
well if she can touch ground ,then lean it at a stop. and who goes 150? its not about that im just saying since lowering the bike is a waste , so if you guys wanna be all on her in her defense then thats cool im stating that lowering the bike is pointless,ive seen little asian dudes on bike who lower it and they tell me it handels like and all i say is i know it defeats the purpose.
Dude you just don't know what you're talking about, you're just repeating you've heard someone else say. Lowering a bike is not pointless if the reason you lower the bike is so you can touch the ground. That is the point. You can't expect a short female to hold a bike up with it leaning over at every stop, that would be pointless. Lowering the bike is not going to make a noticeable difference unless you're hitting curves hard at 100mph and over. That's what the others tried to say to you but you didn't get that either. Just riding the bike around town with it lowered will only be noticable when she stops because then she will be able to touch the ground.

Now before you say something else stupid I have no reason to be "all on her defense" because I have no clue who she is and I don't have my bike lowered. My point simply is shutup until you have something to say in this post that would be constructive to her question. Remember she asked a question? Then you ripped her!
XRCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:06 PM   #31
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
On my own defense, I lowered both my bikes to postpone wheelies using dogbones and slip trees, so the suspension is still fully adjustable with a lower center of gravity. As for the 150mph corners, don't do it often enough on houston country roads, especially enough to drag a knee
CaligoneTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:45 PM   #32
GoChickRiderG
AKA GoBikerChickG

Bike(s):
07 CBR600 RR

Thanks
Old 09-24-2007, 06:51 AM   #33
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

IF the bike is lowered correctly, front and rear, then the only thing you have affected is ground clearance. There is a slight change in the leverage thru the rear shock linkage, but not enough to show up in handling.

And if you are dragging things in the corner, learn to lean off and stand the bike back up.

All the horror stories about lowering come from people that only lowered the back, and it handled like after that due to the front end being too high.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:54 AM   #34
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Why are you not happy with it, and why did you lower it to begin with?

If they only lowered the back, then it handles like poo now, right?
Old 09-24-2007, 06:56 AM   #35
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
Dude you just don't know what you're talking about, you're just repeating you've heard someone else say. Lowering a bike is not pointless if the reason you lower the bike is so you can touch the ground. That is the point. You can't expect a short female to hold a bike up with it leaning over at every stop, that would be pointless. Lowering the bike is not going to make a noticeable difference unless you're hitting curves hard at 100mph and over. That's what the others tried to say to you but you didn't get that either. Just riding the bike around town with it lowered will only be noticable when she stops because then she will be able to touch the ground. when you lower the bike, you increase the wheelbase, how can you not effect handling?

:
i can't touch the ground on any bike, i have a 29" inseam. why would a bike lean over? how about shift your body off the bike when coming to a stop. think ahead of time about where your gonna plant your feet when stopping. how about buying a proper beginner bike? the more you lower the worse the handling becomes.

MSF?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!

Last edited by RACER X; 09-24-2007 at 07:00 AM.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:29 AM   #36
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

This another helpful post to help answer her question.

Would someone please tell me from your wealth of knowledge in physics, what would make a bike harder to handle when the center of gravity is lowered? Other than ground clearance. So I would have to carry this logic out to mean that if I made a bike ten feet high it woud handle much better right?

Think it through then answer.
XRCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:27 AM   #37
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
think ahead of time about where your gonna plant your feet when stopping. how about buying a proper beginner bike? the more you lower the worse the handling becomes.
unfortunately, you cannot always think ahead where your feet will plant. Also, if you have to shift off the seat to reach the ground, and can only get one toe down, odds are good you will overcenter and drop the bike more than once, especially a female who doesn't have the physical strength to hold the bike up if it gets away from her.

Also nothing to do with beginner or not; newer sport bikes are not designed for short legs.

Lowering, if done properly, does not affect the handling in any way. I can still sail my wifes bike around the corners, and it is lowered almost 3 inches. And I outweigh her by more than a little bit. Her bike does have adjustable pegs tho, so it has that advantage of gaining some ground clearance back.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:30 AM   #38
eugene

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
This another helpful post to help answer her question.

Would someone please tell me from your wealth of knowledge in physics, what would make a bike harder to handle when the center of gravity is lowered? Other than ground clearance. So I would have to carry this logic out to mean that if I made a bike ten feet high it woud handle much better right?

Think it through then answer.
it has mainly to do with the lean angles. the lower to the ground your bike is, the lean potential is small. (can't really think of a good example...but i will try this...)just imagine you have an umbrella sitting on top of a cinder block (where you usually hold is perpendicular to the cinder block). then you lean it over on its side, the umbrella would be able to lean over a lot more compared when you do not have the cinder block there. the cinder block can be seen as the gap underneath your bike. the higher that gap is from under ground, the more of a lean angle there is. *hopefully this makes sense*

and shorter wheel base, means it would quicker into a turn. just think of a car vs a 18 wheeler. the car has a shorter wheel base, therefore they can make narrower turns, where as 18 wheelers make wide turns b/c of the longer wheel base.
eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:36 AM   #39
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Reducing the wheel base 1/4" will not noticeably affect the turn in. That is about the max you "might" see by sliding the forks up 1 to 2 inches, especially with a sport bike and their steep steering necks.

Ground clearance is the only issue, and does not come into play if you are not already dragging pegs or other hard parts.

And if you do drag, then you need to learn why racers hang off the bike.

Any sportbike lowered the normal 1 to 2 inches will still have more than enough clearance to handle any turn at above legal speeds.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:39 AM   #40
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
^^ Add a heavier bike or disportioned rider/bike weight and it can make the ride harder to consider lean angles and so on in the corners.
CaligoneTx is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement