MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

tire missaligned

hey peeps in my gs500 i have been riding the whole week and everything was fine but

today i went to autozone and when i came back i parked outside so i could work on my car in the garage

anyway i finished the car and got the bike ready to pull it inside

then i heard someothing rubbing down the seat, at first i tought was the rear rotor

but no is fine, finally i looked and was the tire rubbing the swing arm

so i used the center stand and spinned the tire, is not uneven or anything but have clearance in one side and rubbing the other

is it normal for a wheel to get out of alignment by itself? no i havent hit anything ( knock on wood)

(note).- i installed a bigger tire in the rear which was giving me better handling and no problems at all

any tips are rally welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire question.. (my tire people where you at?) floyd600 Taking it to the Track 81 07-02-2012 12:41 PM
F@#%IN SCREW IN MY TIRE. Plug or get a new tire? kinnlyn General Discussion (Moto Related) 44 03-20-2009 07:49 AM
My tire is low tire pressure. Who is the best place to take it for air? hotnanas How To's and Q & A's 74 11-19-2008 01:50 PM
So i got a Nail in my tire! patch or get new tire? AznGoneNuts General Discussion (Moto Related) 56 10-24-2006 03:51 PM
new tire? Tricki Performance and Modifications 7 06-02-2006 11:31 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pester View Post
(note).- i installed a bigger tire in the rear which was giving me better handling and no problems at all
What sized did you switch from/ to? Obviously, if you went to a wider tire, chances are that something like that is going to happen (rubbing the swingarm). I would be more concerned about that AND tire tire rubbing the chain.

You need to check the alignment before you ride it any further. An easy/ quick way to check is to look at the alignment marks on the swing arm. Count the number of marks on each side of the swingarm and make sure the alignment indicators are the same number of marks on each side. Check to see if your axle is tight too.

I don't fully understand what "problems" you think are now solved by changing tire sized, so the reason escapes me for that. You may have created another problem for yourself and possibly wasted a tire in the mean time. Hopefully not though.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
pester
Black olives matter

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
What sized did you switch from/ to? Obviously, if you went to a wider tire, chances are that something like that is going to happen (rubbing the swingarm). I would be more concerned about that AND tire tire rubbing the chain.

You need to check the alignment before you ride it any further. An easy/ quick way to check is to look at the alignment marks on the swing arm. Count the number of marks on each side of the swingarm and make sure the alignment indicators are the same number of marks on each side. Check to see if your axle is tight too.

I don't fully understand what "problems" you think are now solved by changing tire sized, so the reason escapes me for that. You may have created another problem for yourself and possibly wasted a tire in the mean time. Hopefully not though.

my stock tire was 130/70/17 the new tire was 140/80/17

yes the marks does not coincide, but the wheel and tire looks good no damage

thing was the stock tire was too narrow (thin) now this one it gives me better handling in the twisties

when installed the tire and wheel were aligned good

Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-22-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
Radar

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Loosen the axle nut (big one), then line the marks up, to where they are the same on each side AND the chain is adjusted properly. Make sure if you back off one of the adjuster bolts you push the tire/wheel forward to keep the adjusters hard up against the adjuster bolts. The adjuster bolts MUST be remain contacting the axle adjusters, prior to, during and after the axle is tightened. Once you have done this check to see if your rubbing problem has been cured, if it has, you should be good to go. If this cures it, most likely you did not have the adjuster bolts tightened against the adjusters, and when you drove it the chain/engine forces moved (slipped) the axle in the swing arm letting the tire/wheel get misaligned within the swingarm.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:46 PM   #5
Chris24
Thread Savior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
sounds like maybe the axle wasnt tightened properly, loosen it a bit and re-adjust so the marks line up.

nice thing about the GS, is the centerstand, makes it alot easier to check on your own. once you line it up i hope your not still rubbing. give a good spin and if its way off you should be able to spot it.

if it still rubs id be worried that maybe a spacer or something is in wrong. did it rub after you had the new tire put on?
Old 09-22-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
pester
Black olives matter

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
sounds like maybe the axle wasnt tightened properly, loosen it a bit and re-adjust so the marks line up.

nice thing about the GS, is the centerstand, makes it alot easier to check on your own. once you line it up i hope your not still rubbing. give a good spin and if its way off you should be able to spot it.

if it still rubs id be worried that maybe a spacer or something is in wrong. did it rub after you had the new tire put on?

no it was great, that just happened today, it lasted long tho

and yes it has clearance in one side and rubs the other so there is space to align

also i shaked the wheel and there is no play,

Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-22-2007, 09:52 PM   #7
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

You may be missing a spacer. Sometimes, you can "pinch" the swingarm to close the space from a missing spacer.

Take a look and make sure all spacers are there.
I would also follow what Radar said and

loosen the axle nut,

back off your adjusters,

pull back on the wheel to pull the slack out of your chain,

tighten your adjusters so that it's consistent with the proper chain tension,

tighten your axle nut while making sure your alignment is kept consistent on both sides of the swingarm.

If you re-adjust your alignment and all the parts/ spacers are there, your tire is probably too wide.

For future reference, likely, whatever handling issue you were having can very likely be corrected with a geometry change (like dropping the forks or raising the shock or vice versa).

Advertisement