MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
ttRan

Feedback Rating: (0)

KBC HELMET?

my questions is...are KBC helmets good quality helmet? i know that it doesnt compare to SHOEI or ARAI...but i am just curious.
ttRan is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
kbc solsav General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 02-13-2012 10:25 PM
Broken Mounting Clip On KBC Helmet tommyg Gear Talk 3 11-25-2009 06:03 PM
Anybody wear a KBC helmet? [poser] General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 01-01-2009 11:29 AM
cheap kbc helmet paniro187 General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 05-01-2007 08:18 PM
My icon jacket....and kbc helmet. flip326 General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 08-10-2005 05:26 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2007, 01:36 AM   #2
andrave

I like my VR2 alright but the lack of forehead padding means it irritates me there on longer rides, but overall its good for the money.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
Trailerdgixx6
Seriously?

Bike(s):
01 GSX-R 600

Send a message via AIM to Trailerdgixx6
I use a Force RR. comfort and fit is awsome and unfortunately I had to test the crash durability of it and needless to say I will be buyng another one. Im still here and it held up great.
Trailerdgixx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:47 PM   #4
Blue91

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2010 White R6
2003 Silver R6 (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Blue91
If you're looking to buy, I have a VR1 I'd sell ya cheap. It's the black chrome model but some of the "chrome" is coming off the plastic pieces on the helmet. I got caught in the rain and it caused the "clear" on those pieces to bubble up and come off.

It's a good helmet though, I liked it when I wore it.

Blue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #5
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I have a KBC and I wouldn't have bought it if I wasn't happy with the quality. As we have discussed before the more expensive helmets offer more features (i.e. removeable padding, different vent arragements, etc) and often have better graphics.
As far as safety, they wouldn't be allowed to sell the cheaper helmets if they couldn't pass the same requirements. Also if there were safety issue with any helmet it would be pulled from the market immediately.
Bottom Line: You want the name, the graphics, the features you will pay $500-$700, if you just want a nice helmet that looks good and is safe pay less.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:40 PM   #6
njay1984
3 for 11

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 Yamaha Warrior
03 SV650 track hoe

Used to have a KBC,Have a scorpion now, as long as it's an EXO-700 or better Scorpion is a better helmet IMO, much quiter and feels like it is made better
Old 10-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #7
SPHINX
Ominous Misanthropia

Bike(s):
2006 ZX6R
2005 749S

Send a message via AIM to SPHINX
I HAVE A VR2 KBC HELMET AND IT LOOKS REALLY COOL ALL IN BLACK. I HAVEN'T TESTED THE CRASH RESISTANCE FEATURE YET... FORTUNATELY.
I REGULARLY OPT FOR BLACK HELMETS WITH NOT GRAPHICS SO PAYING $600+ FOR A SHOEI IS REALLY JUST A LUXURY COMMODITY UNLESS YOU FIND YOURSELF HITTING TRIPLE DIGITS QUITE OFTEN. OTHERWISE, KBC WILL PROTECT YOUR BRAIN IN THE MAJORITY OF STREET CRASH SCENARIOS.
SPHINX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post

As far as safety, they wouldn't be allowed to sell the cheaper helmets if they couldn't pass the same requirements. Also if there were safety issue with any helmet it would be pulled from the market immediately.
not entirely true. obviously they cant test every helmet that goes into a box, so samples are used. just like lead paint in chinese toys, the samples always seem to pass before they get shipped out, and mysteriously have to be recalled later. pretty fishy.

also how can something be recalled immeadiatly? if its been to the point of having to recall something, its obviously too late for some. plus, you may not know your helmet has been recalled until after an accident.

all that said, KBC is a good brand, and its one i recommend to people looking for a good helmet without having to spend buttloads. i think the TK-8 by KBC is the best value on the market and its an awesome helmet. i think a gloss black runs like $130 after taxes.

HJC may be just beating that model out with one of their new models, i think its called the CS-R1. its got the good bits and peices from the more expensive HJC's, but it retails for $89!!! now normally i consider any lid under $100 to be trash, but this is the exception. a couple reasons. HJC and sullivans are trying real hard to push some of the mega crappy brands off the market. (fulmer, vega, cyborg, AFX, THH, etc...) so this is what they came up with. its actually pretty comfy, good features etc... it is not officially snell approved, but they should pass if they were tested. adding snell testing to a line of lids adds like $10 to the retail price, so HJC had this one tested for DOT only, to save the customer from having to buy a lid like a fulmer. props

since it doesnt officially have snell approval i wouldnt count on it for high speed antics, but i would consider it to be a great DOT helmet.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #9
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

i love KBC...i picked up more grass stains and dirt with it last night...

besides do you think Mat Mladin would race with one if they weren't constructed with quality?
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:11 PM   #10
isoplus
should be working

Bike(s):
Honda Shadow VT750C2, Hyosung GV650

I use Force RR, and it's pretty comfy IMO.
isoplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:34 PM   #11
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Had a KBC before, was nice and did its job for a while. Went to a HJC and had a few since, both fixed and hinged.
CaligoneTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:47 PM   #12
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
if you think the lid that matt mladin wears is anything even remotely similar to the lid that you can buy off the shelf you are very naive. the shell's materials aren't even the same.

and, kinda, on that same topic, i've seen pics of many SPONSORED by KBC riders actually wearing arai's with HJC logos and graphics on them. not exactly the best way to show your faith in a product is it?
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #13
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
if you think the lid that matt mladin wears is anything even remotely similar to the lid that you can buy off the shelf you are very naive. the shell's materials aren't even the same.

and, kinda, on that same topic, i've seen pics of many SPONSORED by KBC riders actually wearing arai's with HJC logos and graphics on them. not exactly the best way to show your faith in a product is it?
links to any of this?
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:36 PM   #14
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
I've heard of material changes; mainly due to riding conditions and price. Most materials made lighter but still strong due to track control... enviroment is designed to protect rider when going down with grass etc.... unknown factor much greater on the streets.

Hayden mentioned the lighter helmets usually kit scratched, etc since when going down there is enough room to find control as you slide to prevent damage to the head.... then i think of the rag doll wrecks and just think I want an embalming suit to protect me......
CaligoneTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:49 AM   #15
Meaner-n-u
Just so you know...

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple SE
09 Fz6"Rrrrr"

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo...s.html#Helmets

Check around. Lots of choices. If you buy a helmet on clearance, remember it's already a year old and the protection is only good for about 5 years. So you may save money, but you should replace your helmet sooner.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:12 AM   #16
ttRan

thanks to all the replies!
ttRan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement