MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007, 01:19 PM   #41
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

I love beer. I think alcohol is what got me where I am today.

Anyhow, I prefer the small icehouses where everyone knows your name or places close by the Heights.

So Jimmy's Icehouse and Onion Creek get my votes.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pizza + beer + soft drinks at KEM's place KEM Events, Meets and Rides 30 06-02-2013 08:20 PM
pizza and a little beer in my place KEM Off Topic 32 05-30-2013 08:39 PM
good place for inspection? bunxx Off Topic 0 11-14-2009 01:38 PM
Beer is good. morvegil Off Topic 46 07-10-2009 12:13 AM
beer is good for u!!!! whosthis Off Topic 31 09-01-2006 04:49 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-20-2007, 01:30 PM   #42
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Old 09-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #43
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

haha.

I dig the Flying Saucer and the Gingerman too. I need to scope out BJs though...I've heard it's a kick joint.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:35 PM   #44
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
I love beer. I think alcohol is what got me where I am today.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
Onion Creek get my votes.
Pretty cool joint too
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:17 PM   #45
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-

Last edited by NoFear; 01-08-2008 at 11:04 AM.
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:27 PM   #46
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Beer 101 -- Build Your Knowledge

The exciting thing about being a beer lover is that there is so much to enjoy beyond the sensory pleasure of drinking beer

How to Judge Beer

To become a beer judge with the Beer Trade Association and the American Homebrewers Association BJCP, an individual must study for and pass a written test comprising 10 essay questions that cover the history of beer, the many styles of beer, the chemistry of beer, and the techniques for brewing beer, as well as a practical tasting and evaluation of four different homebrewed beers using the official BJCP score sheet. The test takes three hours to complete.

According to BJCP guidelines, the task of judging beer falls into five distinct categories of evaluation in a 50-point scoring system. Here's how you can judge a homebrew following this system.

Bouquet/Aroma (10 points): Immediately after the beer has been poured, take a sniff while the sniffing's good. In less time than you think, the volatile esters that make up the beer's aroma will be gone. What you're looking for are the dominant aromas of the beer. Is it sweet, sour, roasty, earthy, herbal, flowery, citric or any one of a number of other aromas? A strong malt presence will be sweet. Sourness and tartness often, but not always, are a result of an infected beer. Roasty aromas derive from roasted grains, such as the highly roasted, unmalted barley used in an Irish stout. Different varieties of hops impart earthy, herbal, flowery and citric aromas. Ales are often fruity. German wheat beers and many Belgian ales are yeasty and spicy.

Appearance (6 points): Is the beer clear? Most beers are filtered and should be clear. Or is the beer cloudy? Unfiltered wheat beers are supposed to be poured so that the yeast on the bottom of the bottle is roused and poured into the glass. What color is the beer? Each beer style has its own color parameters: golden for pilsners, amber for most pale ales, orangey-reddish-amber for Oktoberfests, black or near-black for stouts. Does the beer have a nice foamy head and good head retention, or is the head weak and anemic? Does beautiful lace cling to the sides of the glass or does the beer wash down the inside of the glass like dishwater?

Flavor (19 points): Here you're looking for a number of characteristics, many of them similar in definition to the bouquet/aroma characteristics. Is the main flavor one of malt (sweet or roasty) or hops (earthy, herbal, flowery, citric)? Does an added fruit take over the flavor? Is the beer tart or sour? Wheat beers are often pleasantly tart. Many Belgian beers are tart or yeasty or spicy or something totally different. How does the flavor change from the first impression into the middle and to the finish? Is the finish a slam-bam "That's all folks!" or does it linger with a particular taste?

How do all these flavors play off each other? In beer-judge talk, that's called "balance." Is the balance good, or does one flavor drown out all the others in a nasty show of brute strength? How well is the beer "conditioned," by which beer judges mean the age of the beer and how the flavors have all come together? Is the level of carbon dioxide pleasant or overpowering?

Body (5 points): What's the mouthfeel of the beer? Is it thin and watery (like a standard American lager) or full and chewy (like an Imperial stout)? Does the beer sparkle or is it flat and dull looking?

Drinkability & Overall Impression (10 points): Finally, beer judges make comments about how they perceive the beer as a whole, adding kudos where appropriate and constructive criticisms when necessary: "This is a great example of an American pale ale, full of malt body and lots of fresh, lovely Cascade hops aroma and flavor." "This was entered as an Irish stout, but there's almost no roasty malt aroma or taste, and the color is brown, not black."

One thing must be clear from the above examples. In order to judge beer, you have to know beer. Beer styles. The BJCP lists 26 main categories of beer styles with many more subcategories. Study these by buying and tasting as many commercial examples as possible and you're on your way to becoming a knowledgeable beer judge.

The BJCP website (www.bjcp.org) will be a great help in learning the definitions and characteristics of all the beer styles you're ever likely to encounter. Have fun studying.

--Gregg Glaser
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:32 PM   #47
Cornbread
Cornelius Breadington

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
Huffy

Send a message via AIM to Cornbread Send a message via Yahoo to Cornbread
Awesome post.
Cornbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:34 PM   #48
Fuzzy018

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2009 HD Dyna - Super Glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
Who's got a huge selection of draft beer?

If you're in Lubbock, go to Cricket's. Fort Worth, try Flying Saucer.

I'm completely lost in Houston, though. Help me out!

Here's a good example:
?actionview&ampcurrentDSCN0047
Try the Gingerman at the Rice Village.
Or, there's a Flying Sucer downtown as well.
Fox and Hound on Westheimer has a pretty good selection of imports, not that many drafts though.
I recoment trying the Fraziskaner Haffe Dunkel
Fuzzy018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:50 PM   #49
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

My current favorite is La Fin Du Monde
Old 09-20-2007, 06:36 PM   #50
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Gingerbread Man in Rice Village has the biggest selection on tap that I am aware of.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:41 PM   #51
MotoRosso

Bike(s):
Ducati 1098

McGonigel's Mucky Duck on Norfolk just East of Kirby has a good selection, decent food and great music.
MotoRosso is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement