MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
Blue91

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2010 White R6
2003 Silver R6 (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Blue91
Anyone use/used Frank Thomas Strike-2 Leather pants?

strike2 pntblk 410x410

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...Z30_G&tier2=47

CG has these things for $150. I went and checked out what they had yesterday. I tried on 2 of the 3 pant styles they had (didn't have my size in the 3rd brand).

The first ones I tried on were the A* track pants. They didn't feel good at all. The waist was loose, but the thighs were super tight, and the legs were too long. The TOP of the kneepads were at the bottom of my knee. I had to pull the legs up some in order to get the padding in the right spot when bending my knees. This resulted in bunched up material behind my knee which I knew would start to bug me when on a long ride. I liked that the knee pads and shin pads felt very robust but the fit just wasn't there for me, :(. That sucks b.c. my jacket is A* and I wanted it to match.

I then tried on the FTs shown above. The construction feels the same as the A*. The fit was much better (tried on 32s first). They were tight in the thigs, but not too bad. The waist fit perfect, and the legs were snug when zipped and the kneepads seemed to be in the correct location. As mentioned, they were tight when crouched. Does leather tend to break-in/stretch? I would think so.

To compare, I tried the 34 FTs on. The thigs and waist felt almost the same, but they were looser from the knees down, allowing the lower portion of the material (with kneepads) to turn side to side. I didn't like that since I wouldn't want the padding to slide off my knee in the case of a get-off.

I was surprised that pants this price would feel so good. Construction-wise, they seemed as heavy/robust as the A* except for the knee pads. The website CLAIMS the kneepads are CE, but when I pulled them out of the pockets, the pads have nothing on them regarding CE, so who knows. Also, the A* have a pocket for shin protectors (included) whereas the FTs do not. In looking at it, this ends up where my boots (yet to purchase) will ride. While I'm sure it's better to have them, should this make/break my decision to purchase the FTs?

Anyone here owned FT stuff, and these pants in particular? Seems cheaper priced but how's the quality? Good enough as an entry level leather pant? Steer clear? Examples?

*Cliff Notes* - Need leather pants, tried on A* track pants and FT leather "strike-2" pants. A* didn't fit/feel well, FTs did. FTs are dirt cheap compared to other brands. Are FTs any good or should I steer clear?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Regards,

Blue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frank Thomas? Jefe Gear Talk 56 02-05-2011 12:07 AM
Frank Thomas Grimace Gear Talk 8 07-29-2010 12:50 AM
FRANK THOMAS Velocita Leather One-Piece Motorcycle Suit gsxrjai Gear Talk 2 08-06-2009 11:27 AM
Frank Thomas or Joe Rocket leather jacket?? Zapata Gear Talk 3 07-30-2008 09:01 AM
frank thomas titanium pro leather jacket OMEGA Gear Talk 9 02-26-2008 01:10 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
wever411
Gunt Puncher

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 3 years

i have a FT jacket, the leather's thick. i've only used it a few months. we'll see how durable it is :dontknow:
Old 09-19-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

I have the FT leathers. The stitching on the legs came apart during a low speed slide.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:11 PM   #4
josh302

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
shotgun
rifle
4wd

what size do yo wear, I have a pair of ft pants new, I think 36-38
Old 09-19-2007, 07:19 PM   #5
jimmy"zx6
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2005 kawasaki 636,2004 zx10r

User is banned

jimmy"zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:27 PM   #6
therky42

Bike(s):
2006 VTX 1300C, YZ 250

I have a FT leather jacket/pants and the stiching stated to come apart on the sleeves after like 2 weeks of just normal wear. Dont ever wear the pants anymore.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:57 PM   #7
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

Feedback Rating: (2)

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
I races a FT suit for two years and had the opportunity to test it a few times. Still have the suit and loan it out now and again. Last use was by David on his F4i lowside. They have a few tears that have been repaired but they are still in good working order. Not the highest quality, but good stuff to get you started, on par with Feildsheer etc. Worst thing about them was they were not cool enough for the staff at LSTD and I got a few snide (wow nice suit...)comments wearing them my first year. Get over the brand name and I loved the suit. I have moved on to Teknic(2x) and my fav is my MotoGP Kangaroo suit.
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:05 AM   #8
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I wear FT 2 piece leathers and they held up alright in my 50 mph get off.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:13 AM   #9
BigComfy

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy"zx6 View Post
the knee pads will be lower than your knee when you sit on the bike they will be at the right place

I have them. I've had a couple of small incidents and they have done their job just fine. In europe they are supposedly the shiznit but here seem to be a mediocre suite IDK. I'm looking to purchase something with more armor in the near future since I'm noticing I'm doing quite a bit of track days now.

Not bad for the price but there is better out there. If your not stuck on 2-pc you may want to check out Motorcycles Unlimited's special on the feildsheer(sp?) they are having.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:30 AM   #10
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

Feedback Rating: (2)

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Also be sure to take the jacket with you, as not all makers will match up the zippers. Your suit must zip 3/4 around for trackdays and racing
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:18 AM   #11
Blue91

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2010 White R6
2003 Silver R6 (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Blue91
Yeah, the zipper half from an A* jacket on the rack matched up with the pants, so I should be fine in that regard (unless diff A* jackets have diff zipper 'sizes').

I planned on going by Motorcycles Unlimited today to get my boots so I'll check out the leathers too. I have a jacket already so hoped to just get the pants.

Thanks for the input. Seems as if some have held up fine, while other reviews from users (on other forums) said they came apart very easily. :-\

Blue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:36 AM   #12
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
there was a recall on the FT strike 2 stuff. early models had a really bad problem w/ the stiching coming apart. they have since fixed that problem and are supposed to be pretty nice now.

with that being said, i'd use them on the street, but i'd be leary running them on the track.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:58 PM   #13
Cody_Rules
this.

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
650r nekkid

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Cody_Rules
i got a ft jacket titanium pro one no probs yet but i haven't wrecked in it
Old 09-27-2007, 07:06 AM   #14
Jesse H

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
05 Harley Road King

I've got the 2-piece suit...have had them for at least 2 years and all the stitching and zippers are still working as they should. Haven't crashed in them to know how they are in that aspect.

The jackets are cut for people with beer bellies and the knees are a bit tight.

Advertisement