MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
TattooLost
Too Far Away!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'12 Kawasaki Ninja 650
'02 Honda CBR600 F4i (sold)

Gear suggestions

Okay, I posted up in the introduction section. Now to get down to the good stuff. I just got the bike last week. I've got a helmet, and i've been wearing jeans and skate shoes and a t-shirt to ride in. Needless to say I drive pretty consertatively right now.

I'm looking to pick up a new helmet and a leather jacket asap. Hoping to stay at about $500-600 total for the two. Someone else suggested something better for the feet too, so suggestions for riding footwear are appreciated as well.

I do like some of the feathers Icon has, especially the breath deflector. The KBC helmet I have right now fogs up bad, and really makes it a pain to see. I like the idea of the modular helmets, mainly because I'm a smoker, but I don't know about them staying together if my head hits the pavement?

BTW, the bike is red and black. Don't really wanna look funky with a blue helmet or jacket while I'm riding.

HELP!
TattooLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alright, new to riding, need suggestions on ALL gear! thegeneric Gear Talk 21 10-07-2009 05:00 PM
Joe Rocket Gear In Stock @ Motorcycles Unlimited, Lot's of Gear At Super Pricing!! Patrick Motorcycles Unlimited 7 10-06-2009 07:29 AM
Summer Riding Gear - Suggestions (specifically Coat) CDN_bacon Gear Talk 14 03-12-2009 08:00 AM
gear saved my like last night so people who dont wear gear TAKE A LOOK!!!!! dcm5586 General Discussion (Moto Related) 67 11-03-2008 07:50 PM
mismatching gear / matching gear AznGoneNuts General Discussion (Moto Related) 39 03-09-2007 05:49 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooLost View Post
BTW, the bike is red and black. Don't really wanna look funky with a blue helmet or jacket while I'm riding.

HELP!
Hehe, been to bike nights? I don't think too many folks' fashion matches.

I'd definitely invest in some good riding boots. Another thing you should consider are riding pants (dragging jeans or overpants).

You won't appreciate gear until you have had to use it. There is one thing about looking 'cool' and another about riding, going down, getting back up and being able to continue or plain being able to survive a crash.

If it was me, I'd stay away from the flip-up helmet and get a fullface. When I crashed, I slammed on the side of my helmet and it busted the visor lose on that side. I've seen some pretty destroyed flip-ups from crashes. It is pretty risky for the chin and face.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Okay.
heres my $.02

Icon helmets are junk, most icon gear is "okay" but for the money you can get much better.

Helmet: No icon, try some on and see what brand fits the shape of your head the best. Dont get a modular helmet. For one, they are about as safe as a 3/4 helmet, the face shield being able to fold up ruins its strength. Plus you might get made fun of.

As for footwear, the idea of wearing moto-boots everyday you ride, like to school or work, is kinda hard to swallow. Just make sure youre wearing something substantial(like leather) that GOES OVER THE ANKLE. Thats the minimum level of protection you want on your feet.

Jackets: Well, ill let others chime in on jackets, but I have a couple Joe Rockets, and like them. I also have an icon, its allright, but again, for the $$$ you can do much better.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

if you check with one of our sponsors... they can get you set up pretty nicely for that range..

decent helmet for 200-250 (maybe less if they have a good one on close out)

Good pair of gloves for less than $50

You can get a good mesh jacket for $150 or less

I bought my current boots used off ebay, they were in 99% new condition and got them for less than $100 (they retail for around 200-250)
Old 09-18-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

^Chris beat me to it (sponsors section)

also another site worth checking out is www.newenough.com

Welcome to the site
Old 09-18-2007, 06:02 PM   #6
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Motohouston has lots of sponsors thatr sell gear.
My personal recomendation has to go to Patrick and the gang over at Motorcycles unlimited. He can set you up with a good deal on a helmet, and will take the time to work with you and make sure youre making the best choice for your head(helmets have varying shapes, and some brands fit some heads better than others.)
If you do end up wanting some boots, Patrick can hook you up with some Set-Up boots for a great deal!

Again, just my opinion.

Welcome to the board, glad to see youre getting gear squared away.

Khaki shirt.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:03 PM   #7
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
^Chris beat me to it (sponsors section)

also another site worth checking out is www.newenough.com

Welcome to the site
Good call. Visit the site and sign up for the email, they will email you great deals almost daily!

Ive seen nice short cuff moto-gloves for less than $20.

Khaki shirt.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #8
TattooLost
Too Far Away!

Bike(s):
'12 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Thanks you two, and thanks for more opinions on Icon. Yeah, I like some of the designs, but I'm not a huge fashion junkie. Just want to try to stick with red on the red bike. lol

I did stop by a local motorsports shop in town today, and there were some Fulmer helmets that didn't seem too bad. I like the idea of the removeable insides to wash 'em (my KBC doesn't have 'em, and you can guess how much Febreeze it takes to make it wearable), but I'm guessing this is standard on the majority of decent brands out there? Are Fulmer's pretty good to go with? I read a thread on here and several people were recommending Scorpion helmets? Any good online shop to check those out at? More opinions on the brand?

Jackets it seems like as long as it's decently thick leather and has shoulder/elbow/back protection I should be in good shape?

Someone steer me towards an online shop so I can order!
Old 09-18-2007, 06:06 PM   #9
TattooLost
Too Far Away!

Bike(s):
'12 Kawasaki Ninja 650

lol you all beat me. Thought "hey, I'll just ask which sponsors have the best deals" and bam.

Thanks guys! Fixing to go shopping! Might have to make a ride down to Houston this week!
Old 09-18-2007, 06:07 PM   #10
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Id buy 2 jackets

1. Mesh/With liner for the warmer 8 or so months

2. Leather for the other 4
Old 09-18-2007, 06:10 PM   #11
TattooLost
Too Far Away!

Bike(s):
'12 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Thanks Sol. I know you. :P

Yeah, I was kinda shying away from mesh jackets though my bro-in-law suggested one. Just don't seem like they'd protect as well as leather? If they're just as good or close I'll go that route, but probably just get a leather right now since the cooler temps are coming soon.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:11 PM   #12
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Thanks Sol. I know you. :P

Yeah, I was kinda shying away from mesh jackets though my bro-in-law suggested one. Just don't seem like they'd protect as well as leather? If they're just as good or close I'll go that route, but probably just get a leather right now since the cooler temps are coming soon.
lol CREAM PIE RICK!
Old 09-18-2007, 06:12 PM   #13
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

FYI

Mesh will protect you about 85-90% of what leather will.... it just cant be used again after that wreck, where as leather can be re used.

Right now, I have 1 mesh, 1 textile, and 2 leather jackets.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:15 PM   #14
dnix600

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600

Quote:
lol you all beat me. Thought "hey, I'll just ask which sponsors have the best deals" and bam.

Thanks guys! Fixing to go shopping! Might have to make a ride down to Houston this week!
I bought my first jacket from Motorcycles Unlimited. I almost bought a jacket that was too big, because of ignorance on proper fit. But Patrick caught it and explained to me why I needed a smaller size. Defiantly suggest you get with a sponsor so you make sure you get the right gear.
dnix600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:20 PM   #15
wever411
Gunt Puncher

Feedback Rating: (8)

if you're just cruisin around during the summer, you'll probably want a mesh jacket. if you're gonna be riding more aggressively, get something with more protection. FWIW, I got a frank thomas leather jacket from cycle gear on sale for 179.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:18 PM   #16
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

I would say as far asd ordering online goes...
gloves maybe, if you have tried on gloves by that manufacturer.
Boots, and jacket, NOPE. try on in person, you'll be happy you did.

As far as the helmet goes, you could go to one of our sponsors and test fit some of the lids and figure out which brand you like and what fits best. then you can take that info to the web and search for a good deal.
BUT BE SURE YOU GIVE THE SPONSOR A CHANCE TO BEAT ANY DEAL YOU FIND ONLINE, these sponsors will surprise you !!!!

Khaki shirt.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:20 PM   #17
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
BUT BE SURE YOU GIVE THE SPONSOR A CHANCE TO BEAT ANY DEAL YOU FIND ONLINE, these sponsors will surprise you !!!!
Old 09-18-2007, 07:26 PM   #18
TattooLost
Too Far Away!

Bike(s):
'12 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Roger that. I checked Motorcycles Unlimited's website and they don't have any gear listed. Looks like when I can make it down to Houston (soon hopefully) I'll be making a stop there. Bike needs an oil change anyway, and it looks like one of the front forks has a small leak, so might see about getting both of those taken care of and shop for gear while I wait. Looks like their prices are good, and they keep getting recommended on here so they must be doing something right!

Thanks guys! Hope to ride with all of ya soon!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:36 PM   #19
TattooLost
Too Far Away!

Bike(s):
'12 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Okay, I've been searching off and on all day. I think I've found the helmet I want. Now to find out if anyone can beat the $210 price it seems EVERYONE has. If not, hoping at least one of the sponsors carry it or can get it so I can at least keep my money in this community. The helmet is...

Scorpion Burst, black and red. Now I just need to try one on and see what size I need. Does Motorcycles Unlimited carry Scorpion helmets?

Still searching for a decent jacket/gloves/boots, possibly pants soon.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:43 PM   #20
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Motorcycles Unlimited no longer carries Scorpion helmets unless by some chance he still has some left overs, Powersports of Houston has plenty of the Scorpions in stock. Cycle Gear has one of the largest helmet selections in Houston (as far as i know ) they have tons of helmets in stock!
CarbonJames is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement