Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
Costas

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'04 ZX-10R
'07 ZX-6R (track)
'04 ZX-6R (sold)
'05 Ninja 500 (sold)

Send a message via AIM to Costas
Speedometer just displays random numbers, how to fix it..

Just picked up an 04 zx6r and noticed when i was checking out the bike, i'd rev the bike in neutral and the mph would increase, after a while it didn't do that anymore. Then when i was riding it just displayed all sorts of random numbers so I'm guessing the speed sensor is bad and needs to be replaced.

What would be the best way to go about fixing this? I'm guessing just replacing the speed sensor? Should I go with OEM or look into getting something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Speed...QQcmdZViewItem

thanks
Costas is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for speedometer jacea7x Performance and Modifications 0 01-07-2013 01:24 PM
Trail Tech displays CarbonJames Performance and Modifications 13 01-12-2009 11:54 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
A speedohealer is like the yellowbox I run on my bike...

Yellowbox makes a codeable ranger for the spedometer = or - 28% of the signal coming in....

That said, you need a good signal to begin within before it can be adjusted...

Most bikes are off at 100 or even at 60 mph... I noticed a dramatic difference when I installed and coded my properly(yes, I made passes on a cop scanner.... hey, they can be usefull afterall, not just for clocking your top speed...)
CaligoneTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Don't know too much about the technical on the bike, check some forums and with some knowledgeable members... I will say it should be a three wire set up, power, ground and signal. Those can be checked and in all honesty, a speed sensor will cost much less then an instrument cluster(sorry I didn't mean to swear like that so early in the diagnosis-just a comment for future reference should the speed sensor not work...)
Old 09-18-2007, 09:21 PM   #4
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

you may try posing this question to the kawiforums members or call some of MH site sponsors for help.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:36 PM   #5
Cbr929RRKing

Feedback Rating: (0)

Check all the wires to make sure everything is fine, you could be getting some interference or a wire is cut somewhere. There is also the possibility that the speedo is to blame, i dont think a speedo healer will fix the problem of random numbers being displayed.
Cbr929RRKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:43 PM   #6
level5
moving chicane

you have a charging problems. When the bike is overcharged it will caused the speedo to jumped erratically. Check to see if your battery volts is around 13.7-14.1v if it is higher then that is the problem. Put the volt meter to the battery and bike running, rev it to see the volts.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:28 PM   #7
Costas

Bike(s):
'04 ZX-10R
'07 ZX-6R (track)
'04 ZX-6R (sold)
'05 Ninja 500 (sold)

i went ahead and posted the question on kawasakiforums.com and pretty much everyone said that my speed sensor must be defective. only thing i know is that the bike was recently dropped which could be the cause of the issue. i took out the speed sensor from the sprocket cover and followed the wire and it eventually joined even more wires, but until that point everything seemed fine. i'll go ahead and check the volt readings and if that doesn't work i'll order a new sensor online. i hope i can get this working, i don't use my speedometer much but it sucks not knowing how many miles i've traveled so i know when to fill up.

last night when i left my house it seemed to be working sorta normal, mph would jump 10mph or so here and there but the speed seemed somewhat correct. today it just displayed 0 the whole time no matter how fast was going, and at times if i gave it alot of throttle it would display 20 or 30mph or so.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:41 PM   #8
FireMalt
Recovering track addict

Feedback Rating: (3)

It may be the wrong Speedo, if the bike has been wrecked and repaired. I had an 05 Kawi 636, and tried to use a 04 speedom and it did the same thing you're describing. While the was in netrual, the rpm's worked fine, but it would say that I was going something like 150mph in first gear, lol.

If possible contact the previous owner regarding the issue, if it was something that was wrong with the bike when you got it.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:43 PM   #9
Costas

Bike(s):
'04 ZX-10R
'07 ZX-6R (track)
'04 ZX-6R (sold)
'05 Ninja 500 (sold)

the rpm indicator works fine in every gear, haven't had issues with that nor any other indicator such as temp and neutral indicator and what not. it's just the mph that at times is at 0 and other times it's all over the place. the guy i bought it from i believe buys and resells bikes so i don't think he'll know the previous history of it. he didn't even know of the issue till i pointed it out to him. i'll see if i can swing by Motorcycles Unlimited tomorrow and see if one of the techs there is willing to have a looksy at it.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:11 PM   #10
FireMalt
Recovering track addict

Feedback Rating: (3)

I think it's the speedo... I think I may have an 04 speedo at the house. If so, it's yours free if you come pick it up. But I'll have to let you know tomorrow, since I'm stuck at work until 7am.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:04 PM   #11
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

I just met you!

hello! good luck with the bike

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:25 PM   #12
level5
moving chicane

I worked on a few bikes with a bad battery and it would do the same. When I replace the battery, it's all good. So charging system or bad battery will do this. This is from my experienced.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:00 PM   #13
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
bring the bike by my place and i'll check it out for you.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:57 PM   #14
andre3k
I see dead people...

PTD, who posts here on occasion has the same problem on his 05 zx-6r. Ben trying to figure it out for a few months. Wasn't the PC, then we swapped ECU's with my bike.....still did it, now he thinks its a faulty cluster. So we're going to swap in my cluster to see if its makes a difference. Sounds like its a recall problem, no one on Kawiforums really had an answer. They just said to swap out the speedo sensor which was not the problem.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:14 AM   #15
Costas

Bike(s):
'04 ZX-10R
'07 ZX-6R (track)
'04 ZX-6R (sold)
'05 Ninja 500 (sold)

I went over to SecretAgents house and he took everything apart, tried a different speed sensor and checked the battery, both are fine and aren't the source of the problem. MUST be the guage cluster, if that doesn't work iono what else to look for lol
Old 09-22-2007, 09:53 AM   #16
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

If not the cluster, as mentioned above there must be an inductive voltage pick up from somewhere; routing of wires... Like the idea of wrong parts installed for the model... Is there an online p/n look up for your bike? Run the part number on the instrument cluster(or see dealer) and check to the vin number year stamp.

Advertisement