MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #1
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mekrew
customer service rant

i know companies dont make money if you dont buy from them , but sometimes some advise or guiding someone in the right direction is just a nice thing todo.

this all relates to my freezer acting up , i call a place tell him the symptoms, i have looked online and read up on it a bit so its not completely foreign to me. i told him what was going on and just asked "what do you think it could be", and he states "we can have a tech come out and look at it for $50". why cant he just let me know what he "thinks" it might be so i can take a look at it myself.

i give big ups to patrick when it comes to this , i dont know how many times ive seen him post info to help people w/o saying "come to my shop first", he gives free advice and even sometimes free just to look and let the person know what the problem is.

it just me off when businesses are like that just to try and get that extra buck

all i want is my freeze pops to freeze it
mekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ATT CUSTOMER SERVICE ?! pwned Off Topic 17 11-16-2012 07:23 AM
NOW THAT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE! switch General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 04-18-2012 03:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2007, 04:51 PM   #2
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Some are jsut out to make money, but sometimes you can get ino an issue/bind where people try to use you as an encyclopedia/instruction manual... easily eating up your time.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
infidel
drpickles

Feedback Rating: (0)

people do this at my work all the time. a lil different cause 99% of the time we really do need to be out there to know for sure. call fry's or bestbuy they will try to help just so if you cant fix it you will buy from them...
Chlamydia. I think I might name my daughter Chlamydia.
infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:57 PM   #4
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Member Garage

i dont mind having to buy the parts , but if there are some basic test the tech is going todo that i can try myself i would rather do that , then be like ok my evaporator is bad i need that fixed.....

all i asked the guy is what he thinks it could be .... nothing more
Old 09-13-2007, 04:59 PM   #5
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr pickles View Post
they will try to help just so if you cant fix it you will buy from them...
And it also makes them look like a friendly company who's there to help. That way when you do need their help, you'll be glad to call them back. It's good P.R. really.
jus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:00 PM   #6
josh302

Bike(s):
shotgun
rifle
4wd

I worked at U-haul out of high school. A customer called and said "the handle on my propane tank broke, how can I fix this?". My co-worker told him "just go to home depot, get a new handle and replace it" the customer tried replacing the handle in his garage, opened the tank and blew himself up, Sued u-haul, u-haul settled out of court.

Liability and asshats sueing every one, is the reason no one wants to give advice.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:03 PM   #7
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh302 View Post
I worked at U-haul out of high school. A customer called and said "the handle on my propane tank broke, how can I fix this?". My co-worker told him "just go to home depot, get a new handle and replace it" the customer tried replacing the handle in his garage, opened the tank and blew himself up, Sued u-haul, u-haul settled out of court.

Liability and asshats sueing every one, is the reason no one wants to give advice.
Oh there is definitely a line that has to be drawn. And that is a prime example of why. It's circumstantial. If someone is asking about something potentially dangerous, then no, but if it's potentially harmless, then I don't see why not.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:09 PM   #8
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh302 View Post

well ya thats out there ... i just asked what he thinks it could be .. in the manual for the fridge it tells me how to put it in defrost mode , since its in there itt must be safe for me todo .. i just want to know if its something i should do

but that case is extreme
Old 09-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #9
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Yeah, I don't think your freezer is going to blow you up... dude should have given you at least a list of possible things to check. , it would make their job easier if they have to come out.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:24 PM   #10
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekrew View Post

i give big ups to patrick when it comes to this , i dont know how many times ive seen him post info to help people w/o saying "come to my shop first", he gives free advice and even sometimes free just to look and let the person know what the problem is.

That's the EXACT reason I rode from our lil neck of the woods up there. I happily paid a bit more for something, though still not a bad price at all. I will GLADLY pay a higher for exponentially better customer service. The best part is he is usually the cheapest as well.
I understand what you mean. When I worked for the dealership, the advisors WOULD NOT let us talk to a customer to help with a problem at all. They would tell them to bring it in and pay the 1 hour diagnostic time($100) to find out what it was.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:01 PM   #11
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Member Garage

im going to see patrick tomorrow lol
Old 09-14-2007, 11:03 PM   #12