MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2007, 10:53 PM   #21
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51eviltwin View Post
what type of hand helds?
like walkie talkies?
two way radios or scanner?
You can get scanners and try to pick up the frequency- sometimes the tracks know what the frequency is. Radio Shack sells scanners, and obviously, you can probably pick one up cheap on-line.

We (LSTD) have some solutions because it is just as frustrating for us as it is for everyone else. Especially because we (LSTD) pay for those services and very rarely do we get good service on that end.

Sometimes, we are able to simulcast via FM or AM, but only on CMRA weekends. Our permanent solution should be ready for next year, unfortunately, I don't think it will be this year.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:11 PM   #22
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:25 AM   #23
lump9
I Love Lamp

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
GSXR 750

One of the biggest problems I see over and over again
is that there are no consequences for dangerous (stupid)
riding on the track. How many times have you heard at the
rider's meeting, "No stopping on the track for any reason"
and the next session goes out and I'll be damned if Sparky
isn't parked on the track because his buddy went off in
session 1. We've all heard about blending in on turns 1 & 2
at TWS (Texas World Speedway) when entering a session in progress by hugging the
inside curb. How about when exiting TWS (Texas World Speedway) don't be on the
far right side of the track and then hang a left at the last
minute to make the track exit. All of these things are covered
at every rider's meeting and they happen over & over again.
I realize the control riders can't be everywhere all the time,
but when they see this how about making the rider sit out
his next session. Maybe they'll realize that you weren't kidding
and what they did was dangerous. From what I've seen
Buck's track days have the fewest incidents. I realize there
are only 30 or so riders there but they're all in the same group.
You've got noob to expert, 2:10 to 1:40 all coexisting together.
Just remember, there's always someone faster and there's
always someone slower.
lump9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:31 AM   #24
hypertrophyy

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
1. moderate amount of people on the track at a time
2. policing of people who are in the group they don't belong in
3. instructors that pay attention to their students
4. hooter's girls holding umbrellas for us
5. strippers to entertain us while we are back in the pits
6. free trackdays

7. free back rubs from the strippers with moist towels ready when we come off track
8. high 5's from instuctors when we come off track
9. a suggestion and advice box for Mrs. P so we don't have to hear it on here
10. live bands in the pits.... i want fireworks too
11. Oversized boxing gloves to settle disputes
12. A free MH Whinny T-shirt to the rider that complains the most per event
hypertrophyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:47 AM   #25
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I wish all the organizers would run a set schedule - Buck / MSR - Houston does, and has for a couple of years now and it WORKS. For example it could be Group A ( or Level 4) Top of the hour, then Group B (level 2) 20 after the hour, the Group C (level 1) 40 after the hour, etc; etc. IT WORKS!
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:56 AM   #26
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I wish all the organizers would run a set schedule - Buck / MSR - Houston does, and has for a couple of years now and it WORKS. For example it could be Group A ( or Level 4) Top of the hour, then Group B (level 2) 20 after the hour, the Group C (level 1) 40 after the hour, etc; etc. IT WORKS!
How does that work if the track is closed for say 20 minutes for crash truck/ambulance activity? Does one group just lose their session so you can stay on schedule?

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:10 AM   #27
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Sure, it works great for Buck and his program. He is very fortunate that he can do that too.

Several reasons why it doesn't work anywhere else:

Multiple groups mean that with crashes and pick-ups, especially on the big tracks like TWS (Texas World Speedway), you can't put people on the track while that's happening. You suggest to go ahead and put people on the track while the crash truck is picking someone up or picking up the bike?

When there are stoppages, who loses time? Do you get the next group going and let them run over their allotted time, or do you short them their time.

The above are among the many reasons why you can't do it the way they are fortunate enough to be able run it in Houston. With 80 people, vs 25, the incidents will be much fewer- it's just the odds. More people on the track, more likely that there will be crashes. Like Gretsky says, 100% of shots not taken are not made, the same applies that if you have 80 people, you are more likely for people to crash and cause stoppages.

Here is a question, if an organization is able to have a track day that limits the number of people on the track, with longer sessions, run until 6pm or a little later, would people be willing to pay the extra money for it?
Old 09-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #28
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

^NO I'm toast after 6-7 hours
Old 09-14-2007, 11:20 AM   #29
rc51eviltwin

Feedback Rating: (1)

same thing with Elite,top and bottom of the hour worked really well.but its not necessarily because of sticking to the schedule,its because we knew it was time to get on the track.if i could hear the PA,or figure out the radio thing it would be all the same to me..because of the small groups we were in ,we were also lucky not to have any crashes i guess........i dont think i would like to be on the track while they are having to pick up bike pieces,i guess depends on the severity of the wreck and how close the truck come to run off area
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:44 AM   #30
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

It's pretty simple really. I've even been to MSRH for member days and had to wait to get on track, not getting the full 30 mins because of having to get a car off the track. It happens, you just lose that time.

Running 3 groups is a different animal, and people will whine if they don't get their time because of having to clear the track or red flags for crashed riders. Just the nature of the beast. Either way, someone loses time on the track for these things, and having 3 groups with more people, it will happen more often.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:27 PM   #31
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by lump9 View Post
One of the biggest problems I see over and over again
is that there are no consequences for dangerous (stupid)
riding on the track. How many times have you heard at the
rider's meeting, "No stopping on the track for any reason"
and the next session goes out and I'll be damned if Sparky
isn't parked on the track because his buddy went off in
session 1. We've all heard about blending in on turns 1 & 2
at TWS (Texas World Speedway) when entering a session in progress by hugging the
inside curb. How about when exiting TWS (Texas World Speedway) don't be on the
far right side of the track and then hang a left at the last
minute to make the track exit.
All of these things are covered
at every rider's meeting and they happen over & over again.
I realize the control riders can't be everywhere all the time,
but when they see this how about making the rider sit out
his next session. Maybe they'll realize that you weren't kidding
and what they did was dangerous. From what I've seen
Buck's track days have the fewest incidents. I realize there
are only 30 or so riders there but they're all in the same group.
You've got noob to expert, 2:10 to 1:40 all coexisting together.
Just remember, there's always someone faster and there's
always someone slower.
I agree to no end about this. Personally I think if you make this move and have been identified it is time for you to go home so you can think about the lives of the people you just put in danger.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:30 PM   #32
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertrophyy View Post

7. free back rubs from the strippers with moist towels ready when we come off track
8. high 5's from instuctors when we come off track
9. a suggestion and advice box for Mrs. P so we don't have to hear it on here
10. live bands in the pits.... i want fireworks too
11. Oversized boxing gloves to settle disputes
12. A free MH Whinny T-shirt to the rider that complains the most per event
Massages, Live Bands and Fireworks plus track time!

Where do I sign up?

Old 09-14-2007, 01:33 PM   #33
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Sure, it works great for Buck and his program. He is very fortunate that he can do that too.

Several reasons why it doesn't work anywhere else:

Multiple groups mean that with crashes and pick-ups, especially on the big tracks like TWS (Texas World Speedway), you can't put people on the track while that's happening. You suggest to go ahead and put people on the track while the crash truck is picking someone up or picking up the bike?

When there are stoppages, who loses time? Do you get the next group going and let them run over their allotted time, or do you short them their time.

The above are among the many reasons why you can't do it the way they are fortunate enough to be able run it in Houston. With 80 people, vs 25, the incidents will be much fewer- it's just the odds. More people on the track, more likely that there will be crashes. Like Gretsky says, 100% of shots not taken are not made, the same applies that if you have 80 people, you are more likely for people to crash and cause stoppages.

Here is a question, if an organization is able to have a track day that limits the number of people on the track, with longer sessions, run until 6pm or a little later, would people be willing to pay the extra money for it?

When will people learn that you get about 2 hours where the track is good and the rest is down hill from there? Couple that with fatigue and all you get is more crashes. Very few riders are mentally and physically conditioned to put in 10 to 12 hours of riding at the track.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #34
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
When will people learn that you get about 2 hours where the track is good and the rest is down hill from there? Couple that with fatigue and all you get is more crashes. Very few riders are mentally and physically conditioned to put in 10 to 12 hours of riding at the track.
We offer folks a full four (4!!) hours in the seat on the track....GUARANTEED. Most riders are done by 2:30 or 3:00 as you said most just are not ready for that kind of physical demand. All riders run together but we have special days dedicated to faster or Noob riders. We explain in our rider's meeting that if you see a red flag and the session is stopped, as soon as traffic is exitiing the track and everyone has seen the red flag the truck is moving. Also nice to keep the crash truck in the cut through sections of the track of easy access to all areas of the track quickly. If a car goes off and cuts into our session, we get it back at the end of the day. The set schedule is something I first saw in California, and figured if they can pull it off so can we. Even on our full days with differnt groups it works. Simple and easy to understand. If the previous session is cut short that's how it has to be top keep the schedule and they get that sessioon at the end of the day. We'll be doing more split group days next year.
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:12 PM   #35
Oskar_Z28

Bike(s):
02 R1, 01 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley View Post
We offer folks a full four (4!!) hours in the seat on the track....GUARANTEED. Most riders are done by 2:30 or 3:00 as you said most just are not ready for that kind of physical demand. All riders run together but we have special days dedicated to faster or Noob riders. We explain in our rider's meeting that if you see a red flag and the session is stopped, as soon as traffic is exitiing the track and everyone has seen the red flag the truck is moving. Also nice to keep the crash truck in the cut through sections of the track of easy access to all areas of the track quickly. If a car goes off and cuts into our session, we get it back at the end of the day. The set schedule is something I first saw in California, and figured if they can pull it off so can we. Even on our full days with differnt groups it works. Simple and easy to understand. If the previous session is cut short that's how it has to be top keep the schedule and they get that sessioon at the end of the day. We'll be doing more split group days next year.
I have to agree here. I like that format the best. This way I can go by my watch and see when I need to be on the track. And I got 4 hours at Buck's track day once. I typically pack up after 3 hours on the track because I am not in shape to go for full 4 hours.

I also like the idea of split groups. I loved the "fast rider only" track day in August. Are you talking of actually not having cars and splitting hour between fast group and slower group?
Oskar_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:51 PM   #36
level5
moving chicane

I love LMS because it's Saturday.
I like Ride Smart because it's cheaper.
I like LSTD because they are affiliate with CMRA race weekend, trackday/practice.
I haven't ridden with Elite, no comments.

Since overcrowding is the biggest issues, Sat & Sun trackday could resolve the overcrowding issue.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:26 PM   #37
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
I've wondered how many would show up for a two day event. Would most ride both days or pick sat/Sun? That would be seat time overload. And yes we are going to do more bike only days next year as the demand seems to be there for two groups of 30. Wouldn't want more than two groups to keep the :30 format. It spreads riders out as some go early i the session and some late.
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:56 PM   #38
level5
moving chicane

Not many will attend the two days event but this is an excellent opportunity for many to get into trackdays since they can't miss work. If you held it people will come.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:03 PM   #39
Oskar_Z28

Bike(s):
02 R1, 01 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
I love LMS because it's Saturday.
I like Ride Smart because it's cheaper.
I like LSTD because they are affiliate with CMRA race weekend, trackday/practice.
I haven't ridden with Elite, no comments.

Since overcrowding is the biggest issues, Sat & Sun trackday could resolve the overcrowding issue.
Oh yeah, weekend only trackdays for me. Friday is sometimes doable, but monday never. Saturday is the best.
Oskar_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:30 PM   #40
Nox

Bike(s):
06 R1
01 FZ1(sold)
96 vmax(sold)
02 sv650 TRACK! (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley View Post
I've wondered how many would show up for a two day event. Would most ride both days or pick sat/Sun? That would be seat time overload. And yes we are going to do more bike only days next year as the demand seems to be there for two groups of 30. Wouldn't want more than two groups to keep the :30 format. It spreads riders out as some go early i the session and some late.

id be up for 2 days of track in row.

Im not Ben Spies, but Im from Texas. And I ride a Yamaha.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement