Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 11:49 PM   #21
andrave

Feedback Rating: (0)

"presume imminent danger of being harmed???"
ok lol thats not what the law says. you must reasonably believe that you will be harmed, and you may only act with a force necessary to prevent the harm you percieve. Ie, if you are at circuit city, and an employee in a circuit city outfit attempts to prevent you from leaving, then a reasonable person would know that person wasn't attempting to harm you, they are attempting to detain you (whether or not their reasons for wanting to detain you are legal or not) and you are not justified in attacking them.

You can think what you want but trust me if you try it you will go to jail, and if you act with deadly force you will go to trial for manslaughter. thats where you can waive your concealed carry permit handbook around and tell everyone that will listen what you THOUGHT the law was, but no one is going to listen, except your lawyer, who is going to explain to you how wrong you were.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody seen my ATM receipt? mathews Off Topic 8 07-01-2011 12:24 AM
Retailer Receipt Checking Pyrofallout Off Topic 57 11-19-2009 10:05 AM
WTF, receipt... lol Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 03-20-2009 11:48 PM
anyone keep the receipt for that race suit? tonyt915 Off Topic 11 10-14-2008 03:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2007, 12:14 AM   #22
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrave View Post
and an employee in a circuit city outfit attempts to prevent you from leaving, then a reasonable person would know that person wasn't attempting to harm you, they are attempting to detain you (whether or not their reasons for wanting to detain you are legal or not) and you are not justified in attacking them.
What are they allowed to do to detain you? Just saying "stop, don't leave" is all they should be allowed to do. No physical contact at all, IMO.

We are talking about checking a customers bag that just left the checkout register, not someone who was observed shoving goods down his pants and trying to make a run for the door.

And even though they may not be trying to harm you, people have died at the hands of over-zealous store employees. One case where the employees decided to sit on the person until cops arrived. He stopped breathing. I don't remember the details, but they might have actually witnessed him stealing something.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:08 AM   #23
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
ok lol thats not what the law says. you must reasonably believe that you will be harmed, and you may only act with a force necessary to prevent the harm you percieve. Ie, if you are at circuit city, and an employee in a circuit city outfit attempts to prevent you from leaving, then a reasonable person would know that person wasn't attempting to harm you, they are attempting to detain you (whether or not their reasons for wanting to detain you are legal or not) and you are not justified in attacking them.

You can think what you want but trust me if you try it you will go to jail, and if you act with deadly force you will go to trial for manslaughter. thats where you can waive your concealed carry permit handbook around and tell everyone that will listen what you THOUGHT the law was, but no one is going to listen, except your lawyer, who is going to explain to you how wrong you were.
I believe, in order for a LP/Sec guard to attempt to physicaly(sp?) they have to have reasonable cause to believe a crime is committed... this is akin to a citizens arrest... of which the requirement is that the city, has essentially witnessed a FELONY crime being comitted.

..by this, merely declining to show your reciept does not constitute probable or reasonable cause for the lp/door man to attempt to physicaly detain you. IF said person was to touch or grab you, the possibility would be present for you to claim battery and maybe assault and could provide sufficient reason/cause for you to attempt to defend yourself. This however does not mean that the use of of deadly/lethal force would be justified.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:27 AM   #24
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

http://www.crimedoctor.com/loss_prevention_3.htm

"Are Door Bag Searches Legal?
Yes, as long as the inspection is voluntary. No, if the bag check is involuntary or coerced. This is a rather fine legal distinction that is subject to misunderstanding and abuse. Basically, nothing in the law gives the merchant the right to detain a customer for the purpose of searching a shopping bag unless there is a reasonable suspicion of retail theft. See my web page on Shoplifting: Detention & Arrest for more details

A customer can refuse to have their bag checked and simply walk out the door past the bag checker. Hopefully the bag checker has been trained to know that they cannot force anyone to submit to a bag search without cause. This is important because the expectation of the bag checker is that all bag contents have been purchased. The worst thing that could happen is that an aggressive bag checker would forcibly detain or threaten a customer who refused to comply with the voluntary search"
Old 09-12-2007, 01:37 AM   #25
Duck84
bikeless....at the moment

Bike(s):
03 600rr--> sold

big phucking deal....show the recepit.....i think he just needs some attention, or hes just trying to make money....
Duck84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:56 AM   #26
josh302

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
shotgun
rifle
4wd

Quote:

dude you are Naive to say the least, I'm not sure what planet you are from, but next time you see me, go ahead and "tackle" me like the afore mentioned store employees did to customers, and we'll see who defends themself.

ps. I never said I would use deadly force, just said "defend myself"
Old 09-12-2007, 02:05 AM   #27
andrave

you think youre gonna get off scot free claiming self defense when you attack a store security guard who tries to keep you from leaving the store? FYI from an attorney buddy, self defense WONT WORK IN THAT CASE as I've already explained.

lol and you call me naive.

why don't you just stop and try to figure out why he is attempting to detain you? It'd save you some jail time. And they are going to have an awesome security video of you attacking the security guard/employee, which will lead them straight to a quick conviction.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:15 AM   #28
josh302

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
shotgun
rifle
4wd

Quote:
you think youre gonna get off scot free claiming self defense when you attack a store security guard who tries to keep you from leaving the store? FYI from an attorney buddy, self defense WONT WORK IN THAT CASE as I've already explained.

lol and you call me naive.

why don't you just stop and try to figure out why he is attempting to detain you? It'd save you some jail time. And they are going to have an awesome security video of you attacking the security guard/employee, which will lead them straight to a quick conviction.
I'm done trying to make you understand.

Next time someone tackles you from behind when you are walking to your car, just go ahead and say

"well excuse me sir, I think you may have tackled me, might I inquire why"
Old 09-12-2007, 02:29 AM   #29
Candy
The Most Intolerable bish

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
'06 GSXR 1000
'02 GSXR 750

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Candy
Negro...refusal to provide information.."go to jail"..i've been there TWICE..hence my anti-authoritative state of mind. Sorry for those of u that have been victim to my revolutionist wrath(ie: str bucks)

Candy (when asked for receipt): Go URSELF
Old 09-12-2007, 04:53 AM   #30
dirtyrice411
Staying Stoned

Bike(s):
03 R1 Limited Edition.

Send a message via AIM to dirtyrice411
in texas IF you have a license/id card you must show it to a fuzz.

and the store can only detain you if they have reasonable doubt that you stole something. checkout ppl, and receipt checkers don't usually have reasonable doubt you stole . its the flash light security that has the doubts. and i agree don't stand for it, fight the man coming down on us. and read your rights. go look at a history book for once. Martin Luther King JR wouldn't stand for this , so why do we? I never give those receipt checking fools the time of day.
dirtyrice411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:31 AM   #31
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

yes the whole thing comes down to does a jury think that it is reasonable to search you. The jury will be told of the store losses and they will see a video of you leaving. So if it looks like you may have taken something to the jury you are toast, in fact if the jury thinks the store could have thought you took something then you are toast.

edit also if the jury thinks that the store was not trying to harm you then you loose on any amount you fight back.

Last edited by ysr612; 09-12-2007 at 05:33 AM.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:55 AM   #32
dirtyrice411
Staying Stoned

Bike(s):
03 R1 Limited Edition.

Send a message via AIM to dirtyrice411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612 View Post
yes the whole thing comes down to does a jury think that it is reasonable to search you. The jury will be told of the store losses and they will see a video of you leaving. So if it looks like you may have taken something to the jury you are toast, in fact if the jury thinks the store could have thought you took something then you are toast.

edit also if the jury thinks that the store was not trying to harm you then you loose on any amount you fight back.
yes but a lawyer from crack town can easily have this dismissed before you even get to court. if charges were filed againt you from the store. if your sueing them, a lawyer can still prove they are in the wrong. you can even sue them for defermation of character or however you spell that , for making you look like a theif in public, only if someone ask if you stole something later on. not one of your friends but a citizen. If a store ever did that with me I would strike it rich!
dirtyrice411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:35 AM   #33
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

find a store that is having high loss from low life scum and walk out without letting them check you. You will have your chance to strike it rich.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:00 AM   #34
RogerT
Marine & Army Dad

Bike(s):
01 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic FI 1500

Ha Ha, you lose anyway, time and court cost anyway.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:12 AM   #35
Jay
Deleted

Experience: 5 years

tackled by the old people at the door who use highlighters , lol...........dam,
Old 09-12-2007, 08:15 AM   #36
eugene

wow hahha!
eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:29 AM   #37
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

How about this. Just take your out of the bag. Now you can't be accused of putting anything in there, and roll out. Simple solution.

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
SBN. We're coming for your wife and daughters.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:09 AM   #38
aznhero913
J.D.

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 CBR600rr
2005 R6 (bye baby)
1992 Yamaha Seca (1st one)

when they check your bag, they dont trust you. If they dont trust you, they dont respect you & the guy was right "we fall into their obedience and get scared of authority".
Old 09-12-2007, 11:38 AM   #39
Dub

IMO One would think that the ACLU would have been all over this long before now were there a chance of winning and lineing their pocketbooks? You know, I can't stop laughing at the thought of that nice little old lady at the SAMS (Meadows) body slamming me in the parking lot...:outfast:
Old 09-12-2007, 01:44 PM   #40
Psych0ninja
^^^CANDIE FAHST!!!!!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2005 R6 Track only

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraelo View Post
Only time i'll stop is at Wal-Mart if I set off the detector thing, cause i've seen people get almost tackled if they dont stop ..

-daniel

I will not ever stop for the detector going off at any store each door person at walmart and LP at any electronic store has a sticker that He/She can set of the alarm themselves for a reason to search you they do it for people that "look suspicious" ( I know ive worked LP at some of these stores) and this is BS that they are allowed to profile and do this to people for no reason at all just because they can

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
i think mckee is psychoninja's , ask psychoninja if mckee can take it
Psych0ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement