MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 10:16 PM   #21
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
That's great, still doesn't make it required.
Yes.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is a license plate light required in the state of Texas? Brian2006 General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 06-13-2012 05:21 AM
the state of motorcycle safety RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 05-27-2012 11:08 AM
Is insurance required to ride on state property brandontx Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 5 02-07-2012 12:04 AM
New York State Motorcycle Only Checkpoints houstonch73 General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 06-04-2009 08:39 PM
Texas state motorcycle laws gsxrjai General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 06-20-2008 04:44 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2007, 10:33 PM   #22
seratt

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
88' Super Magna

Member Garage

Not sure if some of you guys know, but it is illegal in Texas to not have a helmet on unless you have the MSF course. (There may be another exemption also, but can't remember.) Anyone know?

A cop awhile back told me that it is illegal, but the fine is so little (like 50$ or some ) that noone bothers with it.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:36 PM   #23
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Quote:
Not true. Exemption sticker is optional.
not it isnt. you can get a ticket w/o one.
Azylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:39 PM   #24
thatboygeorge
powpows ftw

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
05 r6

Send a message via AIM to thatboygeorge
i was talkin to a old guy with a harley today and he said "helmets are for kids"
thatboygeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:40 PM   #25
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
not it isnt. you can get a ticket w/o one.
Noooo. You can get stopped and they can check your credentials to make sure you can't wear one. The $2 sticker IS optional, but if you get pulled over you just have to prove that you are exempt from wearing one by A.) showing your insurance coverage(with minimum health coverage, I forget the exact number) or B.) Have your msf card with you.
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:44 PM   #26
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

my dad never wore one until he crashed and his harley bounced off his head...he then was a firm believer..
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:34 PM   #27
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Noooo. You can get stopped and they can check your credentials to make sure you can't wear one. The $2 sticker IS optional, but if you get pulled over you just have to prove that you are exempt from wearing one by A.) showing your insurance coverage(with minimum health coverage, I forget the exact number) or B.) Have your msf card with you.
Correct. Insurance needs to show you're covered for at least $10k.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:44 PM   #28
chasee69
ballin' outta control!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
CRF 50

i agree. we're training a new manager at my job. anyhow i was like where is your helmet. and hes like i dont need one. anything over 30mph its not going to help anyways!

ducatisignature
chasee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:50 PM   #29
mammothmc

I was having this dicussion with a friend, & he phrased it in a way that made perfect sense to me.

What would you think if you saw a player running onto the field in an NFL game without his helmet on?

Those guys wear helmets because they know for a fact that they're going to have collisions where they hit their head. Those big "kids" put on their helmets so they don't get hurt & they're doing like 10mph & falling on grass.

Sooo..... Unless You can guarantee that you're not going to crash riding without a helmet makes about as much sense as an NFL player who's going to "put his hands out" to stop from hitting his head rather than wearing a
helmet.

Until they outlaw bad drivers, cars that leak, & freak accidents, I think I'll take the helmet.
mammothmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:51 PM   #30
andrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
ask him where he gets those facts? cuz he;s wrong.

ask him to run into a brick wall w/o lid.......
funny you of all people should ask that, he told me they were on the motorcycle safety foundation website!
Old 09-11-2007, 11:57 PM   #31
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Sheesh ok folx, it's NOT hard to find....

TRC §661.003.

OFFENSES RELATING TO NOT WEARING PROTECTIVE HEADGEAR.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person:

(1) operates or rides as a passenger on a motorcycle on a public street or highway; and

(2) is not wearing protective headgear that meets safety standards adopted by the department.

(b) A person commits an offense if the person carries on a motorcycle on a public street or highway a passenger who is not wearing protective headgear that meets safety standards adopted by the department.

(c) It is an exception to the application of Subsection (a) or (b) that at the time the offense was committed, the person required to wear protective headgear was at least 21 years old and had successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course under Chapter 662 or was covered by a health insurance plan providing the person with at least $10,000 in medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of an accident while operating or riding on a motorcycle .

(d) The Department of Public Safety shall issue a sticker to a person who:

(1) applies to the department on a form provided by the department;

(2) provides the department with evidence satisfactory to the department showing that the person:

(A) is the owner of a motorcycle that is currently registered in this state; and

(B) has successfully completed the training and safety course described by Subsection (c) or has the insurance coverage described by that subsection; and

(3) pays a fee of $5 for the sticker .

(e) A person may apply to the Department of Public Safety for a sticker for each motorcycle owned by the applicant.

(f) A sticker issued by the Department of Public Safety under Subsection (d) expires on the third anniversary of the date of issuance.

(g) A person operating or riding as a passenger on a motorcycle that displays on the license plate of the motorcycle or the license plate mounting bracket a sticker issued by the Department of Public Safety under Subsection (d) is presumed to have successfully completed the training and safety course described by Subsection (c) or to have the insurance coverage described by that subsection.

(h) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $10 or more than $50.

(i) In this section, "health insurance plan" means an individual, group, blanket, or franchise insurance policy, insurance agreement, evidence of coverage, group hospital services contract, health maintenance organization membership, or employee benefit plan that provides benefits for health care services or for medical or surgical expenses incurred as a result of an accident.

TRC §661.004.

AUTHORITY OF PEACE OFFICER TO INSPECT PROTECTIVE HEADGEAR.

Any peace officer may stop and detain a person who is a motorcycle operator or passenger to inspect the person's protective headgear for compliance with the safety standards prescribed by the department.

==========

Helmets and Passengers. Helmets meeting the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard #218 (FMVSS-218) are required for a motorcycle operators and passengers. Persons at least 21 years old are exempt from wearing a helmet is they have completed a Department-approved motorcycle operator training course or they are covered with at least $10,000 in medical insurance. Persons operating or riding upon a motorcycle with a helmet exemption sticker displayed are presumed to meet the helmet exemption requirements.

Neither of these state that the insurance 'proves' the 10k coverage (however I do recall reading somewhere...that most medical insurances policies cover at LEAST 10k+)
Now various locales around tx are reporting that there are officers still ticketing people for not having 'proof' despite their being compliant. From what I can tell they've all been thrown out, when the riders have show up for court.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:01 AM   #32
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Say no to helmets laws it;s called population control
Old 09-12-2007, 07:53 AM   #33
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Say no to helmets laws it;s called population control
wrd, my father didnt have one on when he wrecked.... beacuse of it, since age 3 Ive been fatherless.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:22 AM   #34
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

^^^^ Dude ... that sucks.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:02 AM   #35
SVmike
nuthin'

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
just a mtn bike now...

Send a message via AIM to SVmike
Helmet law wouldn't bother me b/c I always wear my helmet. As for the survey that found x percent of riders would stop riding if forced to wear a helmet...i really don't care b/c I, along with many others, will still be riding. I figure those who do stop riding don't actually love to ride.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:07 AM   #36
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_LS_Hatch View Post
I'm ALL for helmets, and wear one ANYWHERE I go. I don't want someone telling me I have to though.
+1 first response was the correct one

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:28 AM   #37
PB125

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSXR 750
2002 Suzuki SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
wrd, my father didnt have one on when he wrecked.... beacuse of it, since age 3 Ive been fatherless.
Point made! Quit thinking of yourselves and think of those you'd leave behind should you a) die or b) become a vegetable. I would just love the thought of my wife wiping my for me cause I was too cool to wear a helmet and wadded me and my bike up.
I've been to the Major Trauma Unit at a hospital and will say that it scared the sheeeeee-ite out me. (Another story for another time)
That said...the rule at my house is - the helmet goes on before swinging a leg over the bike for a ride. PERIOD! I wear protective gear and a helmet. I've bounced off the ground on a recent stupidity ride and will say the stuff works for a reason. $500 bucks for repairs and I'm back and riding again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller View Post
they say you drive like a mad man
PB125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:35 AM   #38
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB125 View Post
Point made! Quit thinking of yourselves and think of those you'd leave behind should you a) die or b) become a vegetable. I would just love the thought of my wife wiping my for me cause I was too cool to wear a helmet and wadded me and my bike up......
Therefore YOU should make the conscious decision to wear one.

NOT the government.<----period

where is mckee?
Old 09-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #39
Gaston

Bike(s):
Husaberg FE450

I can't help but laugh at some of the reasons for not wearing a helmet listed above.
This is proving to me why the government has to impose these safety laws. People are just not smart enought o make the right choice, so the government has to do it for them.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:20 AM   #40
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston View Post
I can't help but laugh at some of the reasons for not wearing a helmet listed above.
This is proving to me why the government has to impose these safety laws. People are just not smart enought o make the right choice, so the government has to do it for them.

so since we cant decide for our selves whats safe

lets start a law that out laws unsafe bikes (all of them)
oh and take away all the guns
and 4 wheelers

and scooters those dangerous little bastards
oh and roller coasters

oh and our Dicks cause who knows what we can do with them!!!

One thing leads to another, yes maybe they wont confiscate our genitalia but everything else that is fun (but dangerous)

where is mckee?

Advertisement