MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

motorcycle helmets should be required in every state

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/5125888.html

Sept. 11, 2007, 1:50PM
Motorcycle helmets should be required, feds say

By KEN THOMAS
Associated Press

WASHINGTON — States should require motorcycle riders to wear proper helmets, government investigators urged today as part of several recommendations that seek to stem a steady rise in motorcycle deaths.

Members of the National Transportation Safety Board unanimously approved the motorcycle safety recommendations, wading into a contentious issue that has pitted motorcycle rights' groups against safety organizations in many states.

"The simple act of donning that helmet can begin the process of preventing that type of fatality and serious injury," said NTSB chairman Mark V. Rosenker.

As motorcycle riding has become more popular, motorcycle deaths have more than doubled since 1997. In 2006, motorcycle deaths increased for the ninth straight year, to 4,810 motorcycle deaths, compared with 4,576 in 2005.

NTSB officials noted that non-helmeted riders were three times more likely to suffer a brain injury in a crash than those wearing a helmet.

Motorcycle groups questioned the ability of helmets to provide complete protection and prevent internal injuries in a crash. They said more rider education programs are needed.

"If a truck pulls out in front of you and runs a stop sign, how is that helmet going to prevent an accident?" asked Steve Rector, state coordinator for ABATE Iowa, a motorcycle rights' group. He also noted that motorcycle registrations and the number of miles traveled by motorcyclists have increased in recent years.

Judith Lee Stone, president of Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety, said there was "no scientific evidence that motorcycle rider training reduces crash risk and is an adequate substitute for an all-rider helmet law."

Currently, 20 states and the District of Columbia require riders to wear protective helmets, a significant change since the late 1970s, when nearly every state required helmet use. Twenty-seven states only cover some riders, typically those under 21.

Three states — Iowa, Illinois and New Hampshire — have no helmet laws.

In six states that repealed their universal laws beginning in 1997 — Arkansas, Texas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Florida and Pennsylvania — helmet use plummeted following the repeal of the laws, NTSB officials said. Louisiana reinstated its mandatory requirement in 2004.

The agency also recommended that federal safety officials develop a plan for states and others to improve motorcycle safety and the government develop guidelines for states to gather accurate data on riders.

The NTSB only has the power to make recommendations, but its staff and board members personally lobby for changes the board considers most important.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is a license plate light required in the state of Texas? Brian2006 General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 06-13-2012 05:21 AM
the state of motorcycle safety RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 05-27-2012 11:08 AM
Is insurance required to ride on state property brandontx Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 5 02-07-2012 12:04 AM
New York State Motorcycle Only Checkpoints houstonch73 General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 06-04-2009 08:39 PM
Texas state motorcycle laws gsxrjai General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 06-20-2008 04:44 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
kraelo
Love Breaks up Families

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
None

thanks for ruining all my good times

-daniel
Dear Friend, First i must solicit for your strictest confidence in this transaction and I pray that my decision to contact you will be given genuine approval considering the fact that we have not know each other before. Your urgent response is highly needed. -Kraelo
kraelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:43 PM   #3
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
I'm ALL for helmets, and wear one ANYWHERE I go. I don't want someone telling me I have to though.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:53 PM   #4
darkcloud
Here comes the rooster

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4

I think it should be your own choice or maybe make it so you need on like on the FWY i like to go helmetless somtimes just not insanely fast
Old 09-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

I think if deaths keep rising, they might try to outlaw MC's

Im not for the feds MAKING us wear one...same for seatbelts

I think mandatory saftey courses are a better idea.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
darkcloud
Here comes the rooster

Bike(s):
CBR 600 F4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post

+1
Old 09-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

How about this ... If you don't wear a helmet during a crash and you don't have medical ins, then they don't treat you.

It's about personal responsibility, wear a helmet, don't wear a helmet ... it's your choice, but be prepared to take responsibility for what happens as a result.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:10 PM   #8
TX_Blue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post

"Judith Lee Stone, president of Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety, said there was "no scientific evidence that motorcycle rider training reduces crash risk and is an adequate substitute for an all-rider helmet law."

I read a poll that said 30% of motorcyclists would not ride if helmets were mandatory. Judging by what I see around Houston there would be a lot of bikes up for sale. I'll ride for a hour on Sunday and only see one or two people wearing helmets
TX_Blue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:20 PM   #9
andrave

My dad and I argue all the time because he does not wear a helmet and I always do... he says that a helmet would have saved a life in only 27% of all motorcycle fatalities where the rider was helmetless, and he said he is willing to take those odds.

I just know I wouldn't fall backwards onto the pavement while standing without a helmet... REALLY wouldn't want to fall off a bike without one.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:23 PM   #10
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

ask him where he gets those facts? cuz he;s wrong.

ask him to run into a brick wall w/o lid.......
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:33 PM   #11
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

I disagree with the article as well. Too many laws are coming out these days that make people lose focus of what laws were intended for in the first place. Laws should protect people from the harm of another person. Hence the seatbelt law, it is required that you wear yours in the front seat because if you hit a sharp curve or bump you could bounce out of the driver's seat(or someone could bounce into you) and you would lose control of the vehicle potentially harming another person. But they are not required in the rearset (18+) because if you are in an accident the only real person it is going to harm is yourself and you should be able to decide your own fate. After saying that, I ALWAYS wear a helmet, even when riding short distances and I think everyone should wear a helmet, but in no way do I think the law should enforce it.
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:33 PM   #12
Cody_Rules
this.

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
650r nekkid

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Cody_Rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
ask him where he gets those facts? cuz he;s wrong.

ask him to run into a brick wall w/o lid.......
helmets are for noobs that crash, and ive heard an old cruiser guy say something the same as that
Old 09-11-2007, 09:36 PM   #13
TX_Blue1

Here's the survey. I'll be filling my garage with cheap used bikes if they make helmets mandatory.

http://www.npri.org/issues/issues98/i_b070498.htm

"Many motorcyclists will not ride at all if forced to wear a helmet. Thus, states that do require helmets lose revenue that would come from sales taxes on motorcycles and related products, motor vehicle registration fees and gas taxes. In Oregon, motorcycle sales dropped 36 percent in the first year after the adoption of a helmet law. In Nebraska, the figure was 41 percent."
TX_Blue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:41 PM   #14
juan diablo
MR. UNFLANKABLE

Bike(s):
2005 gsxr 600

I believe in destiny if its your time to go, it wont matter where, how, or wut your wearing.................. STILL, I ALWAYS WEAR MY HELMET NO MATTER WHAT! it never hurts to be a lil cautious!
Than need it and not have it!
juan diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:50 PM   #15
MadseasoN

Wearing a helmet in Texas is already required unless you have the exemption sticker.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:50 PM   #16
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974 View Post
Wearing a helmet in Texas is already required unless you have the exemption sticker.
Not true. Exemption sticker is optional.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #17
MadseasoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
Not true. Exemption sticker is optional.
I'd get one.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:59 PM   #18
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

I wear my seatbelt in the car and helmet on the motorcycle regardless.

Even if I could live through a given accident without a helmet, I'll take the reduced injuries also. It's not just live or die, it's also avoiding serious injuries.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:06 PM   #19
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974 View Post
I'd get one.
That's great, still doesn't make it required.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:09 PM   #20
mammothmc

I was all excited when I heard they were doing away with the helmet law........right up till I had my first crash (wearing a helmet)

After I saw how quickly it all happened & the deep gouges down the front of the helmet where my face would've been ground into the pavement........ I've never been without one since.

I'm all for peoples right to commit suicide, but go do it with a gun or jump off a building just to prove you could or something rather than raising my insurance rates & drawing more negative attention to the sport I love. Stupid people ruin everyone's fun.
mammothmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement