MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 01:58 AM   #1
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Updates "Alrova"

I just got home. He had to have surgery and was out when I left. I won't go in to gory details, and I'm not going to put stuff out there that he may not want out there.

It'd be real cool if we could just leave this thread (maybe stuck?) for updates and have the other thread for well-wishes and prayers to him.

Basically, as the other thread indicated, he was flown to Hermann and went through shock/ trauma, then to surgery. He got out about 11:45, and his SO was able to go in to see him. Her Uncle was there with her, so she had some family around.

Charles and I got to the ER before she did, and we sat with her and helped her sort things out until her Uncle got there. BigComfy came up too, and I think between us three cracking wise, his SO was a little more at ease. Memo and Julie showed up too, and brought some food and cash to cover some expenses (like freakin' parking).

He is not out of the woods, however, some things are a little better than first indicated. No broken ribs or arm, lungs are good, but some internal bleeding and a fractured femur.

There is a chance of additional surgery, but they won't know until they are able to observe him for a bit.

Right now, I don't think his SO needs anything in particular, and I am going to go back up there tomorrow after I get the kids to school.

I will post updates as I get them, as well as whenever they get him in a room.

"Thank you" from his SO to all that stopped and helped, called for well-wishes, and for bringing his personal belongings back (as much as you were able) from his SO. She was truly grateful, as she is the only family he has here.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"SPOILER" hey alrova aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhh Grinchy General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 03-01-2010 11:15 AM
Project "Rebel w/o a Cause" updates ScooterTrash General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 02-19-2007 10:52 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2007, 08:25 AM   #2
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Tom,
Thanks for the update on Alberto.
Please let me know if they need anything.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:50 AM   #3
AWD
Cruise'n

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'06 600rr

Send a message via AIM to AWD Send a message via Yahoo to AWD
Don't know the guy, but best wishes and a speedy recovery.
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:53 AM   #4
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

If you guys need anything let me know. I live just a few blocks away if anyone needs a free place to park or a sofa to crash on. I know firsthand how expensive it can be to tend to a loved one.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
Mrs. ~T~
formerly known as C 1/2

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to Mrs. ~T~
thanks tom!!!
best wishes!
Mrs. ~T~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:20 AM   #6
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

let us know when he can have visitors so that Joneric, Teresa and myself can head up there.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:29 AM   #7
nutmegchoi
Go girls!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2013 CBR600RR Repsol

Get well, Al.
Wish your speedy recovery.
nutmegchoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:19 PM   #8
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

OK, just got back from the Med Ctr. Basically, the doctors expect a "full recovery" and that he may be in a regular room either today or tomorrow. A release date is indeterminate, and could be a while. They'll know more as time goes on. Right now, they're preparing for an approximate 2 month stay at first indication. I am more optimistic, but I'm not a doctor either!

He is in a lot of pain, obviously, but today he was able to speak to us and seemed more like himself.

If you would like to visit him, it's OK today, but would probably be better tomorrow or when he gets in to a room. I know that his SO (Lindy) would not mind having people there to talk to, she said yesterday that she enjoyed having us there to kind of take the edge off and keep her mind off the situation. She also really appreciates the well-wishes, prayers and positive thoughts, as does Alberto. I think that it would be more valuable to spend time with her and maybe visit Al for a short time.

If you know him well, I would say that he would probably appreciate seeing people, but he sleeps a lot, is in a lot of pain, and would probably be easier once he gets in to a room so he is more comfortable. As it is, only one visitor is allowed to go in with Lindy, and there is a 15 minute time limit. You have to scrub your hands well, put on a plastic gown and gloves before you can see him too. I will get that information asap when I know. Otherwise, he is in the CCU in the Roberts Pavillion, and Lindy is usually waiting in the CCU waiting area when she is not in the room.

I and some others were able to help her out with some immediate needs, her Mom and Dad are taking care of a lot of things for her too. There are some things though that will come in handy later that maybe some MH'Ride Smart can tackle:

Lindy likes "trashy" magazines (her words, not mine ) like the ones you get at the grocery checkout (not the other kind you perverts!). I brought a bunch of them today for her, but I don't know if they are the ones she wanted, so maybe a female would be more helpful in knowing what another female might like!

I thought it would be good to have some type of electronic gadgets to keep them occupied now and when they get a room too. I suggested a laptop so they could watch movies and surf the net, but the nurses suggested that we not do that until he was more settled. They suggested a small DVD player or IPod or something like that instead. Reason being that every time something like that comes in, they have to decon it, and then when it leaves the room, it has to be decon'd again. Not to mention that laptops can be a bit cumbersome in a ICU where there is a lot of wires and tubes and people constantly giving him meds and treatment.

So if anyone has a small player like an IPod or one of those that plays movies and stores music (I don't know what those are called), or a small portable DVD or something that they can loan, that would be excellent.

Magazines are good, as are books probably too.

Anyway, it looks like it will be a long recovery, but a full recovery as of now.

Keep the good thoughts, prayers, and positive mojo coming. It is truly appreciated by Al and Lindy!
Old 09-11-2007, 02:26 PM   #9
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Thanks for the update Tom. I have a subscription to Playboy and Road Racing World if he would like me to bring any of those magazines when he gets a room.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #10
50cc chick
I <3 Josh

Bike(s):
Aprilia Ride Smart 50 (SOLD)

Send a message via AIM to 50cc chick
thanks for the update!!! definitly in my prayers!
50cc chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #11
98-gsxr-750

Bike(s):
98 gsxr 750

movies

first i just want to say i hope you get better soon. i dont know many of you guys and girls but i know how boring it can get in the hospital. ive got a psp with games and movies. it also works on a wireless system so you could check the net or play on-line games without the big laptop. if this helps and you would like to borrow it please call me at 979-739-7830 anytime after 4 pm since i dont get cell reception in the building were i work.

Jason
98-gsxr-750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #12
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98-gsxr-750 View Post
first i just want to say i hope you get better soon. i dont know many of you guys and girls but i know how boring it can get in the hospital. ive got a psp with games and movies. it also works on a wireless system so you could check the net or play on-line games without the big laptop. if this helps and you would like to borrow it please call me at 979-739-7830 anytime after 4 pm since i dont get cell reception in the building were i work.

Jason
thats a very nice offer, i'm sure they would like that alot!

Thanks for the update Tom and I am planning on taking a trip up there tomorrow evening after work, i have an errand on the way home and then i'll do my best to get up there!!!

get well homie!
Old 09-11-2007, 07:14 PM   #13
JonEric0430
the slow and the retarded

Feedback Rating: (3)

Send a message via AIM to JonEric0430
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonR1 View Post
thats a very nice offer, i'm sure they would like that alot!

Thanks for the update Tom and I am planning on taking a trip up there tomorrow evening after work, i have an errand on the way home and then i'll do my best to get up there!!!

get well homie!
punk, what about me.

Tom, I just wanted to thank you myself for all the time you are putting in at the hospital and what you are doing for Lindy.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:01 PM   #14
Dr. Gonzo
BHCA...let's ride!!!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Tom,
Thanks for the update on Alberto.
Please let me know if they need anything.
+1
Old 09-11-2007, 09:02 PM   #15
jimmy"zx6
Banned

Bike(s):
2005 kawasaki 636,2004 zx10r

User is banned

jimmy"zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:17 PM   #16
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEric0430 View Post
punk, what about me.

Tom, I just wanted to thank you myself for all the time you are putting in at the hospital and what you are doing for Lindy.
son, you know you're invited. I'll be calling Lindy on the way home tomorrow to verify whether we can come up and visit. you'll know when we meet up!
Old 09-11-2007, 11:23 PM   #17
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

I don't have much to offer but I have a few police scanners he can borrow. It's kept me entertained for countless hours on boring days. Lots of exciting stuff going on downtown too. Let me know and I can bring it and give it to one of ya'll at the meet Friday.
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:25 AM   #18
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Guys, thanks for the offers, I know they appreciate it. I'll be calling today for the PSP, that's very generous!

Hopefully, he'll be in a regular room and we can get all this together for them. I'll update when I find out today.

Thanks again all!
Old 09-12-2007, 07:34 AM   #19
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

I forgot to mention, 'Berto and Lindy would rather not have visitors while he's in the CCU for now. Especially if they're moving him today (I'll find out in a bit if they moved him last night) so that he can get settled with the nurses and docs and their treatment.

I'll update today after I talk to Lindy.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:59 AM   #20
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Just got off the phone with Lindy, I'll probably get with her later, but for now, no visitors.

He's in surgery for his leg and some other incidental stuff, and will very likely go back to the CCU instead of a regular room, so no changes in venue for today.

If you want to go visit, please check with Lindy first, or get with me and I'll contact her, but I wouldn't suggest going to see him today.

Lindy will probably appreciate some of the entertainment that was offered up, so I'll see if I can get with some of the folks who offered.

Advertisement