MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2007, 09:16 AM   #1
Meaner-n-u
Just so you know...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple SE
09 Fz6"Rrrrr"

Kids and Dirtbikes

Bought a NON-Operating RM60 for our daughter, now all the kids want to learn to ride! - We agreed this could be their "CHRISTMAS" so we have time to get gear and bikes. What next?

4 kids (Meaner-n-u and Squoddybody's)

Boy 12 - Girl 11 - Girl 10 - Boy 9

How do you fit their gear? Sizing is odd and pants can be shaped or straight?Can they share gear? (They all wear different sizes) What is the best starter bike? Used or New? Safety/Learning classes - (Planned for January 08)

Am I missing anything?

Thanks!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dirtbikes going up..almost vertically iDazzle Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 10 11-03-2014 06:39 PM
New to dirtbikes OMEGA Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 6 01-28-2014 10:22 PM
where to buy used dirtbikes... upononer6 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 51 07-30-2012 09:12 PM
dirtbikes on the street klassik General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 06-26-2010 07:38 PM
Dirtbikes? specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 41 05-01-2009 10:56 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2007, 09:21 AM   #2
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

i'll be selling an operating kx60 soon too. newly repaired cylinder, with new top end.

would be great for children all the way to adults who still want to be children.
dirt and motard setups.

i know cycle gear has childrens gear, check them out. some of the other shops may stock some as well.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

A rm 60 is a cool bike, but not the best for kids, it is a 2stroke racing bike,very finecky and puttin around would foul plugs etc, I would suggest a honda xr70, it is a 4 stroke, much easier to deal with, and not quite as radical, no clutch to deal with and they are quite reasonable on craigslist, runnin for only $ 500- 750, and will last a very long time, just my 2 cents
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

+1

the 60s may scare them away from riding as well.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:33 AM   #5
Angamico
Range Target

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
YZF600R
TigerEX1200

The class I told you and Guitar Man about...

Link on HoH website
Angamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #6
MadseasoN

Trackdays: 10+

Both of my kids (6 and 9) have motocross gear. We went to Cycle Gear and had them try on different sizes. I ended up buying a lot of secondhand stuff from Craigslist, HoustonMotocross, etc. The end of season is coming up soon so you should see alot of stuff coming up for sale (you know how fast kids grow out of stuff).

Personally I wouldn't bother with the pants and jerseys. Definately knee/elbow pads, helmet, gloves, and maybe boots. Let them try out riding and see if they're gonna stick with it.

As for starter bikes, I'd stick with the 4-strokes. They're alot smoother on the low end and easier for kids to learn. Nothing bigger than a 70cc to start with. Maybe an XR80 but that would be pretty big for a 9 yr old.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:45 AM   #7
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

protect their necks too...buy them a neck roll...we don't want to ruin any of those developing muscles.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

how young can your start them, mine turns 3 this yr, and i'm thinkin XR50 already.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:11 PM   #9
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
how young can your start them, mine turns 3 this yr, and i'm thinkin XR50 already.
Maybe a small 4 wheeler, Hey guys props for starting them young, I was broke and scared to let my kids ride when they were young, and now they are in their early 20,s, and want start ridin chit like I have, daughter wants an aprilla and my son wants a R1 for his first bike, scares the outa me, they are still my babies
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:18 PM   #10
MadseasoN

Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
Doesn't the XR50 have an autoclutch? I'd start with a one-speed bike like a PW50 with training wheels and throttle limiter.

Don't forget about the kids' point-of-view. Even a little PW50 seems like a big, loud, smokey machine and can be intimidating.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:23 PM   #11
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

if they are small jr or pw would be good but i had a friend that still managed to crash the jr. hit the brake at the same time they gave it gas! wow!
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #12
Meaner-n-u
Just so you know...

Bike(s):
09 Fz6"Rrrrr"

Thanks!

There are some REALLY GOOD ideas out there. I've had them try on gear at Cycle Gear (no purchases) and I plan to start them with the Dirt Bike class at Awesome in January.

Craigs List is where we found the first bike. Thanks for the "season ending" info. I do know how kids grow and we want to spend as little as possible while making sure they are safe and enjoying themselves.

I really appreciate the tips on the 2 Stroke v/s 4 Stroke. I really don't want to scare them at the start. Only 1 (Daughter - 10) was so into this idea that she started saving her own money to buy gear when we wouldn't get it for her. The others just want to not be left out.

Guitar Man has very fond memories of dirt bike trips and camping, so I guess this means I know how I'm spending next summer... BLEGH!

So thanks again to everyone. Seems like I'm on the right track, but the bike situation never occured to me. Glad to know I can ask around and people care enough to help.
Meaner-n-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:29 PM   #13
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

what do you need to get that 60 running again? there are several sponsors on the boards that can get you bike parts for a discount, and many of us have the know how to give the bike a once over and try to get it going for you. Those two strokes are simple!!! BTW, keep an eye out for older four stroke honda's for them to ride. i have a 1980 CT70 and a 1996Z50 in the garage and they both start first or second kick!!!
Old 09-11-2007, 08:58 PM   #14
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

these 60s are very simple. i'd love to get another, but i don't have room for the one i have now. but they may be quite intimidating when the power kicks on for a younger kid.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:59 PM   #15
Urandaman

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2002 f4i

Send a message via AIM to Urandaman
i started on a xr100. smooth power band, and a blast to ride.
xr80s are a lil shorter but still have a clutch.

klx110 or the suzuki 110 may be a good bike too. more power than a 50. a little taller than a xr 70, and you can mod them as they get better.

im sure your older son will want to be the big guy, so teach him on a bike with a clutch, might as well learn now.

the klx are semi automatics, and if i remember right, you can do something in the transmission to free up a 4th gear instead of the 3..
Urandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:52 AM   #16
Meaner-n-u
Just so you know...

Bike(s):
09 Fz6"Rrrrr"

Guitar Man has a full page list of what needs to be fixed... I'm a good girl. I stay out of the garage and away from the tools.
Meaner-n-u is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement