Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 01:07 AM   #21
zEr0
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
schwinn

User is banned

zEr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
towing lighting kits in Houston area? myla296 Off Topic 11 02-18-2015 03:40 PM
LED UNDERGLOW, HALO, AND HID LIGHTING tdeleon81 Performance and Modifications 6 05-10-2014 06:16 PM
HID Lighting? yellowjacket General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 09-07-2008 10:34 AM
HID Lighting For 2006 Katana? Soull2Soull How To's and Q & A's 5 08-10-2008 01:10 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2007, 02:08 AM   #22
andrave

nah if you get 8000k ones or above they start getting really dim, above that, the ones that are almost pink, are dimmer than standard lights.

and there is a different between projectors designed for HID's and projectors designed for traditional bulbs... projectors alone doen't guarantee a good result. my experience has been that it usually works better than older reflector style bulbs but that doesn't mean its ideal.

and most cars with HID's only have them for low beams anyway. HID hi/lo is silly.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:17 AM   #23
DannyBoy

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 1000
03 RM 100
FIDDY
06 DRZ400SM
08 CAN AM SPYDER

I installed a HID on my Gixxer 1000 06. I researched the heck out of it by reading info on all HID sites. Only one site on the web had a kit specifically for a motorcycle. It cost about $300. I bought a kit (car kit sold as a motorcycle kit) from a guy on EBay that had a buy it now for about $75. I can not locate exactly who it was right now. Everyone else is really selling a car kit and calling it a motorcycle kit. That is what I got from this guy, a car kit. What is the difference. A motorcycle kit has a realy long wire lead from the ballast to the bulb, so you can mount the ballast in the trunk of your bike. I could not find any one that sold an extension cord if you will so I could mount my ballast in the trunk. The wire is a very special wire as the ballast is shooting out thousands of volt and just any old wire will not work. I finally mounted the ballast under the front fairing and it just barely fits. I had to use double sided foam 3M tape and also as an added safety measure I used GOOP glue to hold it in place. It is very close to the radiator and I did not want it to rub on that. I bought 6000K and it is white light. Not all manufactures sell all the K bulbs and I found this to be the best. It seems to light up the road 5 times better than my stock bulb and I do not see a dark blob. I was riding fast at night and was actually riding faster than the light was shining but not with my HID now. I did not reaim my light and I can see the horizontal line it throws on the back of cars and it is just at my headlight height so it is not in their eyes. In 4 months only two people have flashed brights at me at night. I can see reflective road signs miles away litterly and I love the difference it makes, makes me seen and I see lots better.
DannyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:59 AM   #24
dirtyrice411
Staying Stoned

Bike(s):
03 R1 Limited Edition.

Send a message via AIM to dirtyrice411
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBoy View Post
I was riding fast at night and was actually riding faster than the light was shining but not with my HID now.
Funny you think you can go faster than the speed of light!
dirtyrice411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:43 PM   #25
Greenway Smokey
Super duper member!

Bike(s):
'04 1200XL

Send a message via AIM to Greenway Smokey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyrice411 View Post
Funny you think you can go faster than the speed of light!
i'm sure he meant the distance of the light. He can now look farther since there is more light.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:14 PM   #26
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Nice write up thanks

Quote:
I installed a HID on my Gixxer 1000 06. I researched the heck out of it by reading info on all HID sites. Only one site on the web had a kit specifically for a motorcycle. It cost about $300. I bought a kit (car kit sold as a motorcycle kit) from a guy on EBay that had a buy it now for about $75. I can not locate exactly who it was right now. Everyone else is really selling a car kit and calling it a motorcycle kit. That is what I got from this guy, a car kit. What is the difference. A motorcycle kit has a realy long wire lead from the ballast to the bulb, so you can mount the ballast in the trunk of your bike. I could not find any one that sold an extension cord if you will so I could mount my ballast in the trunk. The wire is a very special wire as the ballast is shooting out thousands of volt and just any old wire will not work. I finally mounted the ballast under the front fairing and it just barely fits. I had to use double sided foam 3M tape and also as an added safety measure I used GOOP glue to hold it in place. It is very close to the radiator and I did not want it to rub on that. I bought 6000K and it is white light. Not all manufactures sell all the K bulbs and I found this to be the best. It seems to light up the road 5 times better than my stock bulb and I do not see a dark blob. I was riding fast at night and was actually riding faster than the light was shining but not with my HID now. I did not reaim my light and I can see the horizontal line it throws on the back of cars and it is just at my headlight height so it is not in their eyes. In 4 months only two people have flashed brights at me at night. I can see reflective road signs miles away litterly and I love the difference it makes, makes me seen and I see lots better.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:55 PM   #27
ls_dm
Still Goin...............

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
07 cbr600rr

Quote:
U dont have to use special wires, i cut my HID harness and extended to my rear cowl using 14 gauge speaker wire and had no problems.

oh yeah and there is no possible way u were riding faster then the light coming out of ur bulb
ls_dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:10 PM   #28
dirtyrice411
Staying Stoned

Bike(s):
03 R1 Limited Edition.

Send a message via AIM to dirtyrice411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenway Smokey View Post
i'm sure he meant the distance of the light. He can now look farther since there is more light.
yes but im an and meaning one thing and saying something else is just cause for point and laugh, plus public mochary on this board.

its funny how many ppl say they go faster than there headlights, when in actuallity its they are going faster than their eyes can see/ brain comprehend. you have to build up to being able to see well while going fast. ask any professional racecar driver.
dirtyrice411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:28 PM   #29
DannyBoy

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 1000
03 RM 100
FIDDY
06 DRZ400SM
08 CAN AM SPYDER

Actually I was travelling faster than the speed of light. You could actually see the light retreating back into the bulb the faster I went, and eventually the road was totally dark as I was going faster than the speed of light. NASA contacted me to use my speed to calibrate the speedometer on the space shuttle. I had to be careful how fast I actually was going as I did not want to go into another dimension. HA !!!!HA!!!!!
DannyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:30 PM   #30
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Suzuki the speed of !

Quote:
Actually I was travelling faster than the speed of light. You could actually see the light retreating back into the bulb the faster I went, and eventually the road was totally dark as I was going faster than the speed of light. NASA contacted me to use my speed to calibrate the speedometer on the space shuttle. I had to be careful how fast I actually was going as I did not want to go into another dimension. HA !!!!HA!!!!!
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
Old 09-12-2007, 10:37 PM   #31
Spanish Fly
Take me drunk, I'm home!!

Bike(s):
2003 SV650s (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
Thats what I'm doing, :
MSF?
Spanish Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:57 PM   #32
DANtheMan.
Chicks dig scars!

Experience: 2 years

06 crf250

Send a message via AIM to DANtheMan.
The best HID's are made in Japan! Dont buy chinesse ..... Look on Ebay.

im just another NEWB SqUiDnAsTy...
DANtheMan. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:21 AM   #33
Burns

Bike(s):
07 R1

heard nothing but good things about a & r motorsports HID kits...i think they r $175, bout to knock one off for my bike
Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:04 AM   #34
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Yes I took it at Awesome Cycles the only thing that I did not like abot them was that they did not like my choice for a 1st bike. I figure that it was my money I worked for it and it was my decision. and here I am 1 year later I'm still here now how does MSF relate to HID Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Fly View Post
MSF?
Old 09-16-2007, 08:55 PM   #35
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
My bud that works next to me has a 954rr. He wired the low beam for xenon with an extra E46 Xenon kit(thats a 3-series Bimmer, we work there and I don't know why we all have spare parts drawers.....) without a projection light setup; the fairing covers the bulb which doesn't blind the oncoming traffic. He angled down the aim and the white light has enough of a reflection on the signs, road markers etc that he usually doesn't ride his highs day or night; though I'm sure they'd make a big difference not needed. If ur out there Mark, write us up....
CaligoneTx is offline   Reply With Quote