MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2007, 05:06 PM   #41
hypertrophyy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider View Post
I too have done plenty of LSTD and Ridesmart events. I have also ridden in A,B & C groups w LSTD and ridden in 1,2 & 3/4 w/ Ridesmart.

First and foremost: All track orgs have good days and bad days

Now, since you specifically asked for Ridesmart feedback.

They have really been trying to address complaints/feedback all year long.
Examples of things that they have changed are:

1) They now have more instructors in level 2 than before. They also are more likely to follow you, have you follow them etc, pull you into hot-pit and talk to you about lines, body positioning/etc. and then continue on and so on and so forth. That is a big thing they're trying to do.

2) The no passing on the outside before lunch is not a hard fast rule. If you ask them in the morning if you can pass on the outside they will probably tell you after lunch, but as an example this past monday we did round-robin, then they said no passing in the corners in the second session, then based on the groups riding, they sort of adjusted things based on the group's performance. (This is the right thing to do IMO) You cannot make concrete rules because groups change at every trackday.

3) They now split-up the round-robins between 1 & 2. They used to do a big round-robin for 1&2, but the instructors convinced Dave that level 2's round-robin needs to be a quicker pace than level 1's.

4) They now assign all riders to a specific instructor. 6 or so riders per instructor and they are available to ask questions, 1 on 1 riding if the others don't need it in your smaller group, etc.

That's just a few things I have noticed lately w/ Ridesmart.

I will sign up for LSTD or Ridesmart w/o hesitation.
+1
hypertrophyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COOL FEELINGS... Scorpio Off Topic 28 12-30-2010 08:02 PM
Gut feelings and riding MudBug General Discussion (Moto Related) 61 05-25-2010 02:24 AM
How can I deal with these feelings Grimace Off Topic 15 01-15-2010 03:32 PM
Cool feelings on your bike Yammy General Discussion (Moto Related) 110 10-14-2008 06:25 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2007, 05:13 PM   #42
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
My honest to opinion....

My first trackday was with ridesmart. didn't learn a thing. had 2 laps of round robin, then it was "hammer away". maybe had 1 or 2 tail taps, but got left behind. and it was OVERLY crowded

2nd time with them, didn't learn a thing either. classroom didn't help much either. constantly had to find the help, which was hard to get, because they would follow me or i follow them for 1 lap (if even 1 lap), and "See ya!" they were gone again. forgot to mention....it was OVERLY crowded.

3rd time with ridesmart.....it was a cold day in april? ice/sleet/hail/rain and temps of about 40 degrees.....and they told us to go out there. TWS (Texas World Speedway) is the safest track for rain.........BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ICE/SLEET/HAIL THAT WAS ALL OVER THE PLACE????? to with that. i'll sacrifice my track fee for safety. rain, i wouldn't care, it's my choice to ride or not....but ice/sleet/hail? come on, that's just plain dangerous and stupid to tell people to go out there and be "smoooooth".

4th time with ridesmart at GSS.....well, i didn't need instruction, and i didn't care too much for the track layout, so have nothing bad/good to say about ridesmart this time around.

So imo, their flaws are...

1. bad instruction
2. half of the instructors don't give a hoot
3. over crowded
4. safety issues

Good things about Ride Smart.....

1. it's cheaper

So all in all, i would say, they need work on instruction. It's not our fault they put too many riders in....maybe add more instructors? who knows. I feel ridesmart is only a good choice for those who don't need the instruction, and know how to get around people safely. It's a hair bit cheaper than some of the other trackday orgs also.
youi're married to certain entities so in my opinion you bashing really has no gravity.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:17 PM   #43
paniro187

that was said in a mean way my apologies.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:39 PM   #44
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
no offense taken paniro. i'm loyal to those trackday orgs that treat me best. which so far is LMS and LSTD.

don't get me wrong, i still do Ride Smart trackdays, it's just that i would prefer one of the other orgs. i think if Ride Smart was to up their fees just a bit more to reduce the amount of riders on the track, i'd ride with them more often.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #45
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
I've attend multiple times with Ride Smart, LSTD, LMS and gets no complaint from me. To me, they all have done a wonderful job organizing the events.

I agree, none of them are perfect but they work hard at giving everyone a good, safe day.

And for what it's worth.........nobody is getting rich putting on track days.:/:
Old 09-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #46
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
I think if Ride Smart was to up their fees just a bit more to reduce the amount of riders on the track, i'd ride with them more often.
just you alone
Trackdays has already broke my piggy bank and my new car payments.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:01 PM   #47
hypertrophyy

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
just you alone
Trackdays has already broke my piggy bank and my new car payments.
hypertrophyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:04 AM   #48
ChemiKaze

Bike(s):
07 Red Wing CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider View Post
I am assuming this happened 1 or 2 times and you are generalizing and making it sound as if they all do this right?

I have never heard any instructor do that at Ridesmart or LSTD.

Now, if they're talking about a friend of theirs and it is all in good fun that's one thing, but I just can't see an instructor laughing at a student's crash...

Haven't seen it at LSTD nor remember any... but Ride Smart... more than a couple of times ... at first I shrug it off, then I begin to lose respect as they always seem to portray that a joking matter about crashes... although there were a couple of times when another instructor would interject that this is not a laughing matter and the whole class stops laughing..

I'm not saying it happens all the time, but if I remember this stuff so vividly, perhaps that itself should suggest something from a guy that doesn't bother about remembering stuff so much..

For sale: Alth Wave Rotors (Italian baby!) for 03-07 CBR600RR
ChemiKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:11 AM   #49
ChemiKaze

Bike(s):
07 Red Wing CBR600RR

with that said... I still ride with Ride Smart and LSTD...

Old 09-06-2007, 01:48 AM   #50
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemiKaze View Post
with that said... I still ride with Ride Smart and LSTD...
Please send me a PM with your contact info - i'd like to get you that video cam credit, that you've either already earned or paid for.

Nice thread Eric, i'll forward this to Jason - he'll take out the valuable points and hopefully improve the quality of track time for all us Texans that are forunate enough to have soo many track days through out the year.

FWIW - i instructed level 2 this past labor day weekend, after our 15-20 minute class instruction, i had 10 minutes alone with my 6 assigned students. I followed 2 of them per session in the morning, would pull over, give them tips (even told 2 guys their lap times since they wanted to know), and then after lunch, followed all 6 riders - again 2 of them per sesion, pulled over, gave them the or :/:, and then corrected them. All of them loved the idea of being pulled over and told their mistakes right there and then. The two guys (concerned about lap times) improved over 7-9 seconds from morning sessions to sessions after lunch.

It worked out great - and i know i for one made a difference to those 6 students. Hopefully next track day i'll help 6 more students become better riders.

All that being said, i have ridden with 5 track organizations in the past 1 year, including Ride Smart, LSTD & LMS - all had their pros and cons; AND i will continue to ride with all of them in the future aswell.

I think a major part of how your track day goes - is upto you. If its gonna rain - show up with rain tires, if its crowded or bunching up, use the hot pit area. It's upto you as a rider to make your track day enjoyable or miserable

We are forunate to have soo many track day organizations hosting soo many track day events on soo many tracks. I think we're spoilt!

PS: Many people mentioned "Just ask your ?s" - thats true. The more you ask, the more you'll learn. We will never turn down a question.

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:16 AM   #51
ChemiKaze

Bike(s):
07 Red Wing CBR600RR

^ No one ever recorded my bike cam credit that I won thru DFWSportbike prize winnings.. that's okay... I might not be using it this year as the last few races are in OHR and TWS (Texas World Speedway)... I don't think if I will be available for Monday TD soon unless there is a weekend bash!

Old 09-06-2007, 06:42 AM   #52
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Ahh I see..

Well forward me your contact anyways, i'll have Jason put it in the "I owe you that DVD cam 2 lap ride" , so whenever you do decide, this year or next season - it'll be there waiting for you.

Oh and best of luck on the upcoming races, i should be sprinting @ TWS (Texas World Speedway).

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:53 AM   #53
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

I noticed that Jason and Dave Wonders and the rest of the Ride Smart team seem be working to improve any rough edges over the years. For this I commend them.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:09 AM   #54
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Ive ridden with all mentioned TD orgs and as stated before each has pros/cons to them. Period. Ride Smart has had an old school mentality and changes have been slow but the last Ride Smart event I attended went better than the previous ones IMO. Still need to get a little better at keeping the sessions on time. The extra riders issue is a pain but most of the time if you just pull into pit lane and wait 30 seconds you have an open track until the end of the sessions.

(i'm sick today and not thinkin straight. Stating just incase the above isn;t clear/logical)
Old 09-06-2007, 03:50 PM   #55
ChemiKaze

Bike(s):
07 Red Wing CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift E View Post
I noticed that Jason and Dave Wonders and the rest of the Ride Smart team seem be working to improve any rough edges over the years. For this I commend them.
Dave is a pretty cool standup guy! We talked a bit and his approach to safety is good. Likes to help a rookie anytime anywhere...

Still don't know who Jason is.. LOL

Old 09-07-2007, 07:07 AM   #56
Swift E

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemiKaze View Post

Still don't know who Jason is.. LOL
He's like a ninja!
Old 09-07-2007, 11:58 AM   #57
Squeaky

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
Quote:
He's like a ninja!
Is his bike still 52 different colors? Can't be all that stealth with a rainbow bike!
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:08 PM   #58
K5GSXR1000

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 1000 & 06 636 For Sale

some Ride Smart instructor race you if you get fast enough. Level 5 wrecked out the first time following an instructor that was suppose to show us our line. I remember the second time riding with Ride Smart and ended up going at it with an instuctor ( level 2). Wrecked out because someone seeing a yellow flag so they slammed on the brake which gave me no option but to find a way out or take him out with me. To me they should try to get the right people in the right levels. It's hard to do so but trying is a good thing. Then it will probably be a little more safe for other riders in that level. Had no problem with level 4 last track day but it was slight traffic no biggie
K5GSXR1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:44 PM   #59
Swift E

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5GSXR1000 View Post
some Ride Smart instructor race you if you get fast enough. Level 5 wrecked out the first time following an instructor that was suppose to show us our line. I remember the second time riding with Ride Smart and ended up going at it with an instuctor ( level 2). Wrecked out because someone seeing a yellow flag so they slammed on the brake which gave me no option but to find a way out or take him out with me. To me they should try to get the right people in the right levels. It's hard to do so but trying is a good thing. Then it will probably be a little more safe for other riders in that level. Had no problem with level 4 last track day but it was slight traffic no biggie
If the insturctors worked on placing people in the proper groups do you think that this would help with the flow of the pace in each group?
Old 09-07-2007, 06:05 PM   #60
Squeaky

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
Quote:
If the insturctors worked on placing people in the proper groups do you think that this would help with the flow of the pace in each group?
ABSO****INGLUTELY

Uh, I mean YES
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement