MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
dhdrider

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

PLEASE take a moment and do this...

If you like riding and want to continue to be covered by your health provider becasue you ride, please follow this link that helps you send a letter to your congressman so that a loophole in legislation can be corrected.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/rapidresponse.asp

Quote:
U.S. Representative Michael Burgess (R-TX-26) and U.S. Representative Bart Stupak (D-MI-1) recently introduced H.R. 1076, "The HIPAA Recreational Injury Technical Correction Act.” Identical legislation obtained 177 bipartisan cosponsors and passed the full Senate in the 108th Congress.

H.R. 1076 aims at ending health care discrimination for individuals participating in legal transportation and recreational activities-activities like motorcycling, snowmobiling, skiing, horseback riding, and all-terrain vehicle riding.

This legislation addresses a loophole caused by a Department of Health and Human Services' rule making it possible for health care benefits to be denied to those who are injured while participating in these activities.

“The development of this bill could not have been possible without bipartisan congressional support and the hard work of the American Motorcyclist Association,” stated Congressman Burgess. “I look forward to working alongside the AMA to get this legislation passed into law.''

Congressman Stupak noted, “This important legislation would prevent health insurance discrimination against citizens who take part in legal, recreational activities such as motorcycle riding and snowmobiling. I look forward to continuing to work with the American Motorcyclist Association and other organizations on this issue."

On August 21, 1996 an important opportunity arose when President Clinton signed the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), prohibiting employers from denying health care coverage based on a worker’s pre-existing medical conditions or participation in legal activities, such as motorcycling.

In 2001, the Department of Health and Human Services released the final rules that would govern the HIPAA law. The rules recognize that employers cannot refuse health care coverage to an employee on the basis of their participation in a recognized legal activity. However, the benefits can be denied for injuries sustained in connection with those activities. Therefore, you were guaranteed the right to health care coverage but not guaranteed any benefits in return for your monthly payments.

The AMA is urging all motorcyclists to notify their Representatives and tell them to co-sponsor and support H.R. 1076, "The HIPAA Recreational Injury Technical Correction Act."

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A moment of your time please! houseofpaint Taking it to the Track 7 03-27-2014 06:40 AM
at the moment shsu1k Health and Fitness 0 09-23-2009 12:47 AM
Take 1 Moment To see this... __NATE__ Off Topic 7 11-26-2008 07:14 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
eugene

it is kinda retarded for insurance not to cover you in a accident that occurs on any of the things listed above. accidents happen even if you are in a car, or in the kitchen, using the bathroom etc...so why do they exclude accidents that happen on motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc.?

i gave my support
eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:06 PM   #3
HellFroze
WhoCalledThisMeeting?

Bike(s):
SOLD --> '02 R6

Wow! Didn't know this! I'd hate to be one of the ones that get's the "sorry, you won't be covered!" letter...

I also gave my support!

Oh... and don't just view this and think, I'll send something later... if you go to the link above, it's really simple and takes a total of 3-5 minutes!

And... Stop thinking "what does it matter... nothing will happen" and just do it! =)

We really can make a difference!

Last edited by HellFroze; 08-31-2007 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Additional comments added.
HellFroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:09 PM   #4
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
done!
Old 08-31-2007, 01:36 PM   #5
Mic

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
C14
WR450
CRF110F
TTR110

Send a message via AIM to Mic Send a message via MSN to Mic
Done, and forwarded to some of my friends who ride, Thanks!
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:23 PM   #6
Helena
TEAM BLT *****ES!

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
600RR

Done !!
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:30 PM   #7
andrave

dont have health insurance right now but did it anyway.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:00 PM   #8
HellFroze
WhoCalledThisMeeting?

Bike(s):
SOLD --> '02 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrave View Post
dont have health insurance right now but did it anyway.
That's great!

For those of you thinking that not having health insurance is a reason not to do it... it's not!!!

Do it anyway! One day, you will get a good job and will have insurance and you don't want to be paying and then not get covered...

A friend of mine is someone's cousin, that recently got into a motorcycle accident... she recently told me what his bill is looking like... OUCH!!!!
(I won't give details without her consent and I'm not asking her to give it to me... so don't ask, but know, that you don't want to pay this out of your own pocket!!! )

Old 08-31-2007, 11:04 PM   #9
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Done.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:30 PM   #10
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
got'r done

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:29 AM   #11
level5
moving chicane

Everyone, please have this filled out and pass it along to everyone on your email list. YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:46 AM   #12
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

done!
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:40 AM   #13
SVmike
nuthin'

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
just a mtn bike now...

Send a message via AIM to SVmike
wow that thing is still around? I remember sending out those emails a year and a half ago when I first got my bike. Guess it hasn't been taken care of yet.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:38 AM   #14
BigComfy

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Done
BigComfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:35 PM   #15
maskale

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR Trackbike
2007 Warrior Midnight

Anyone get a different reply?

Quote:
Dear Mr. Maskale,

Thank you for contacting my office. I'm always glad when the people of the 14th District of Texas let me know their views on important issues facing Americans.

While I understand your desire to mandate Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) and health insurance plans provide coverage to those who have incur health problems related to recreational activities, I cannot support such mandates for several reasons.

First of all, the government lacks constitutional authority to interfere in the health care market. As you know, I took an oath to uphold the Constitution, an oath which I take very seriously. Nowhere in the Constitution is the federal government given the power to micromanage health care financing.

The Constitution limits the power of the federal government because people are better off when they can care for themselves, instead of having their lives controlled by a strong central government.

Rather than burden the health care system with costly new government mandates, I support measures to return power over health care decisions to the American people by making it easier for Americans to use devices such as Medical Savings Accounts (MSAs). MSAs would allow individuals to choose their own health care and would allow them to profit when they economize in their health care choices. This will provide incentives for health care consumers to shop for the best care at the lowest possible price. I am currently cosponsoring legislation that would expand the number of Americans who can choose MSAs.

Of course, MSAs are only one type of reform. Any system of generous tax credits or deductions would help ensure access to quality health care at a reasonable price. This is because these reforms remove the bureaucrats and place the patient at the center of the health care system. When people have the freedom and responsibility to make their own health care decisions in the free market, the results will inevitably be lower prices and better care for all forms of health services.

Thanks again for writing. Please feel free to contact my office with any questions, comments, or suggestions.

Sincerely,

Ron Paul
maskale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #16
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene View Post
it is kinda retarded for insurance not to cover you in a accident that occurs on any of the things listed above. accidents happen even if you are in a car, or in the kitchen, using the bathroom etc...so why do they exclude accidents that happen on motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc.?

i gave my support
yep when you're really really constipated it hurts.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:28 PM   #17
leprechaun
****** maker

Bike(s):
96, 1100 ACE,02,750SS, 86, QT50, 81,CB750C

Thumbs up HR1076

Done & passed on
leprechaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:43 PM   #18
Joe T

Bike(s):
Monster

Wow, so I might not be covered under my health care insurance if I get into a wreck?
Joe T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:45 PM   #19
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskale View Post
Anyone get a different reply?
I got the same
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:43 PM   #20
Joe T

Bike(s):
Monster

All you have to do is get personal injury protection on your bike insurance. It's going to be cheaper than upping your health insurance it seems anyway...

Ron Paul is right about staying out of healthcare...
Joe T is offline   Reply With Quote