Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 09:40 AM   #1
M@tt
Platinum Member

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
09 - Gixxer 1000
06 - Gixxer 750 Track / Garage

You have to love Houston's schools

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5097092.html

Now some one find a copy of it.. Post it

Quote:
Originally Posted by chron.com
Aug. 31, 2007, 12:55AM
'Ghetto' booklet probed by HISD
Some ask why it took 3 months to investigate the item distributed by district officer

By JENNIFER RADCLIFFE
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

TOOLS
Email Get section feed
Print Subscribe NOW
Comments Recommend (2)
A crudely made "Ghetto Handbook" distributed by a Houston school district police officer sparked angry words Thursday from leaders in the district and the community — both because of its language and the fact that no action was taken for three months.

"This publication was completely reprehensible and HISD condemns it in the strongest possible terms," Superintendent Abelardo Saavedra said in a written statement.

But some also questioned why it took so long for district officials to learn about the booklet and begin investigating.

The officer who first handed it out in May was suspended with pay this week, pending results of an investigation by the Houston Independent School District. Officials refused to identify him but said he was ordered to go to diversity training.

The eight-page handout, which includes a few grainy photographs, purports to offer definitions that will enable the reader to speak Ebonics "as if you just came out of the hood." Ebonics is a nonstandard variety of English spoken by some black Americans.

The definitions include such terms as "foty: a 40-ounce bottle of beer"; "aks: to ask a question"; and "hoodrat: scummy girl."

The booklet — subtitled "Wucha dun did now?" — names six HISD officers "and the entire day shift patrol" as contributors. District spokesman Terry Abbott said, however, that a preliminary investigation has cleared those officers of involvement.

The officers did not respond to the Houston Chronicle's e-mails seeking comment.

The booklet originally was handed out at a May 23 roll call at Barnett Stadium, Abbott said. He said up to 15 dayshift officers and three supervisors attend the meetings.

One of the supervisors immediately collected the booklets, Abbott said.

But HISD leaders said they didn't learn about the incident until an oral complaint was made to the district's Equal Employment Opportunity Office on Aug. 13. It was not clear who filed the complaint, and district officials did not have an explanation for the delay in their learning about the incident.

Abbott said HISD Police Chief Charles Wiley "is not doing any interviews because of the fact that it's an ongoing investigation."

Saavedra expressed regret about the incident and said he has "mounted a very aggressive investigation."

School board President Manuel Rodriguez Jr. said, "I'm completely surprised and overwhelmed that it took us so long to find out about it. In today's age and time, there should be no room for that type."

As of last school year, nearly 30 percent of HISD's 202,000 students were black and almost 60 percent were Hispanic.

Some community leaders expressed outrage.

"It does concern me," said Kashmere High alumna Carolyn Miller, president of the HISD Council of PTAs. "That's quite unfortunate that an officer felt a need to do that."

Carol Mims Galloway, president of Houston's NAACP chapter and a candidate for the school board, said the officer who created the document should be severely reprimanded, if not fired.

"It was really a slap in the African-American community's face," she said, adding that she believes black students in the district already are being shortchanged academically.

"We're paying their salaries with our tax dollars," Galloway said of HISD police. "It does reflect on the district."

She also questioned whether a supervisor really collected all of the booklets.

HISD trustee Larry Marshall called the document totally inappropriate, even if it were printed as a joke.

"These are very racially sensitive times," he said. "It was a huge mistake in judgment."

Houston activist Quanell X said he will ask today that Chief Wiley and anyone involved in the incident be reprimanded.

"What I'm angry about is that the supervisor did not file the complaint himself," he said. "The HISD police chief should have done more immediately, once this racist literature was brought to his attention."

jennifer.radcliffe@chron.com

Last edited by AWD; 08-31-2007 at 10:37 AM.
M@tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSF schools in houston RACER X New Riders and MSF Course Info 36 01-15-2016 06:14 AM
MSF schools in houston RACER X Motorcycle Articles 17 05-03-2010 08:11 PM
MSF schools in houston RACER X Motorcycle Articles 0 02-17-2010 02:39 AM
Nursing Schools in Houston amber|alexis Off Topic 26 02-10-2009 09:38 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

haha...well I still wonder why good ol' Abe Saavedra is in charge after he got run out of Corpus.

hopefully I can find a copy! I need to pick up some new words to throw around the office.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
zampano

Send a message via AIM to zampano
Not sure why you are ragging on the schools, says this was done by a police officer.
zampano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:48 AM   #4
txferrari
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

User is banned

txferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:50 AM   #5
zampano

Send a message via AIM to zampano
lol, ^ nice

Last edited by zampano; 08-31-2007 at 09:53 AM.
zampano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:52 AM   #6
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

man i dont think i am gonna find it on the web.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:12 AM   #7
MadseasoN

Trackdays: 10+

Therefore this officer has already made up his mind about the 'type' of people he's dealing with daily (children, mind you). How could he possibly be neutral in any situation involving these kids?

That is, if he really did write or distribute the book.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:28 AM   #8
falxzzr

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Send a message via AIM to falxzzr Send a message via MSN to falxzzr
Is any person truely nuetral anyways? cut the guy some slack.. im all for speaking plain ol english, but i also respect others rights to speak in whatever way they wish. Freedom ftw~

i got no kickass sig :(
falxzzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:39 AM   #9
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

havent seen it on my campus yet but if i do, ill grab one
Old 08-31-2007, 11:03 AM   #10
huyzel

Bike(s):
2006 CBR 1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by txferrari View Post
Bwahaha....some might differ on me on this, although the guy wasnt appropriate for writing that, it was true so. Its kind of hard to condemn him when he speaks the truth so. PREACH on my friend!!!!!
Check this out... http://youtube.com/watch?v=0U2QF2ad28E

I work retail and get different types of people.. some of which if i had this hand book would have helped me communicate with them. I am glad he or she who did this. I see nothing wrong with it... but do take sometime and watch that link i posted.. speaks the true.
huyzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:09 AM   #11
huyzel

Bike(s):
2006 CBR 1000rr

BTW i just got done going to what-a-burger, when i pulled up to the window to pay she was like "nine fiddy!!!" i was like wtf??? nine dollars and fifty cents you mean? i am surprise my order wasn't taken in an erroneous manner... "wut is u want on ur burga?"... "and to drank?"
huyzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:27 AM   #12
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

If I got pulled over by one of those cops involved I'd use the race card...but I can't...not because I'm white...but because I don't speed or drive reckless...

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:38 AM   #13
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by huyzel View Post
BTW i just got done going to what-a-burger, when i pulled up to the window to pay she was like "nine fiddy!!!" i was like wtf??? nine dollars and fifty cents you mean? i am surprise my order wasn't taken in an erroneous manner... "wut is u want on ur burga?"... "and to drank?"
chill it down there, !
Old 08-31-2007, 11:39 AM   #14
logan5

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

This book was written and printed decades ago in Hawaii, no one got upset or filed lawsuits ... it is what it is ...

http://www.amazon.com/Pidgin-da-Max-.../dp/093584841X

Hawaii is still a place (in my mind) where common sense hasn't been overrun by political correctness.
logan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:40 AM   #15
train460
speed junky

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
88 v-max
05 Honda Goldwing
85 V-max (wifes)
05 Vtx 1300 (wifes)

u can make up your own book just by reading some of these threads
88 v-max
train460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:40 AM   #16
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanto84 View Post
chill it down there, !
haha, i see it now...it's Weasel! I never could figure out to say it.

anyhow, i just want to read the pamphlet...i think it would be a good entertaining read.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:42 AM   #17
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
This book was written and printed decades ago in Hawaii, no one got upset or filed lawsuits ... it is what it is ...

http://www.amazon.com/Pidgin-da-Max-.../dp/093584841X

Hawaii is still a place (in my mind) where common sense hasn't been overrun by political correctness.
No, it's being overrun by crystal meth...
(i am Hawaiian...but when my mom and her sisters go at their pidgin..there's no telling what they are saying.)
Old 08-31-2007, 02:17 PM   #18
Stacy
One day at a time!

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
99 Ninja 250
04 Honda f4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdvet View Post
I think it is an excellent idea for Law Enforement to be up on slang terms used by people in society. If that was the intended purpose of handing out the booklet I see no problem in it.
+1

our society is entirely toooo uptight and ready to whine about anything and everything in order to get their 5 minutes of fame. Give it another week and there will be something else in the news that some officer has done to offend some group of people. If we need spanish speaking people on the force...why not have some that learn to be ebonically enlightened as well??
Old 08-31-2007, 02:21 PM   #19
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
haha, i see it now...it's Weasel! I never could figure out to say it.

anyhow, i just want to read the pamphlet...i think it would be a good entertaining read.
i know this should probably be in PM's, but I figure it's public info: Huyzel's name is pronounced "hu'ee-zel" like wee-zel (not to be confused with weasel). His name is Huy, and that my friends is Vietnamese, hence the jokes. And yes, i have permission from him.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:22 PM   #20
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by train460 View Post
u can make up your own book just by reading some of these threads