MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2007, 11:05 AM   #21
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Well, thing is, motorcycling and healthcare, are go hand in hand...

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Meanwhile in the ghetto part II Stricken55 Off Topic 6 02-05-2013 10:31 PM
change of life part II MudBug Off Topic 39 09-17-2009 05:09 PM
DBUCK needs help Part II dbuck General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 08-27-2008 04:15 PM
WHO WILL WIN PART II Mrs. ~T~ Off Topic 61 07-26-2006 02:20 PM
Brokeback Mountain - Part II SBK Pilot Off Topic 4 04-13-2006 05:56 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2007, 11:26 AM   #22
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
She has been a couch potato for the last month and a 1/2 and will be for several months even with the wound care center. The only way to get out natural healing quicker is to have surgery. I would go for the week on the couch watching movies and having my significant other pamper me instead of hobbling around for half a year.
agreed!
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:31 AM   #23
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
She has been a couch potato for the last month and a 1/2 and will be for several months even with the wound care center. The only way to get out natural healing quicker is to have surgery. I would go for the week on the couch watching movies and having my significant other pamper me instead of hobbling around for half a year.
I limped first but can still walk and do stuff, go shopping, go to bike nights, visit soccer, go to work. I only missed one day of work the Monday after my crash due to the concussion. I move around all day. I am at the point where I can walk pretty good and do stairs again too.

The first month I was going nuts just having to lay still on my back every night because of the shoulder. I got up early in the mornings because I couldn't lay down still anymore. Sitting up was more comfy. Now doing this not for 7 hours, but 168 hours straight...?

Another thing to consider, I am still off exercising, playing soccer, riding horses and motorcycles until another 6 - 8 weeks due to the clavicle and back.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:50 AM   #24
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia View Post
I limped first but can still walk and do stuff, go shopping, go to bike nights, visit soccer, go to work. I only missed one day of work the Monday after my crash due to the concussion. I move around all day. I am at the point where I can walk pretty good and do stairs again too.

The first month I was going nuts just having to lay still on my back every night because of the shoulder. I got up early in the mornings because I couldn't lay down still anymore. Sitting up was more comfy. Now doing this not for 7 hours, but 168 hours straight...?

Another thing to consider, I am still off exercising, playing soccer, riding horses and motorcycles until another 6 - 8 weeks due to the clavicle and back.
Ah, you do have a plethera of injuries don't you. :/:

Maybe, the long route with the foot is the best overall for you.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:03 PM   #25
Karen
Failure is not an option

Bike(s):
03 r6 limited edition/???

Send a message via Yahoo to Karen
wow im sorry you hurt your foot patricia hope you get better soon
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:05 PM   #26
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

You know.... it would probably help if Skid rubbed your foot for atleast an hour every night.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:08 PM   #27
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

I have had a skin graft and a muscle flap. It isn't much fun. As far as a second scar goes...there isn't much of one if any. Mine went away after a couple years. I have full movement with it so I wouldn't worry much about that. care of it sucks at first. Yes you have to stay immobilized for a few days but with the red scarlet on your skin removal area and the sore foot you won't want to move anyway. Dressing has to be removed in one swift movement and dry. (twice a day) Meaning any scabbing and seepage comes off with the dressing. That is to minimize scarring. Red scarlet is a material coated in a anti-bactierial coating(deep-red) and layed over the skin graft removal area. A heat lamp is applied over the area for a set amount of time each day and the material gradually dries and falls away leaving healed skin underneath. That hurts like ...it contracts very tight on your leg and pulls against the wound when you try to bend it. It also stains everything red it touches. But in the end I think it would be your best and fastest method of healing. IMO. By the way they usually take a skin graft from the top of your upper thigh.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:12 PM   #28
Skid

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR600RR

Quote:
You know.... it would probably help if Skid rubbed your foot for atleast an hour every night.
An hour every day? What did I ever do to you?

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:17 PM   #29
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid View Post
An hour every day? What did I ever do to you?
I am sure she can find a few things you have done.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:25 PM   #30
BigRick82
Get It Up!

Bike(s):
06 Hayabusa

Can we see a pic of the wound. I wonder what yours looks liek compared to my left forearm and chest. Those I had to keep wrapped for over 2 months. The left forearm was so deep that no skin grew back, I just have a layer of scar tissue
Old 08-29-2007, 12:36 PM   #31
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...t=34989&page=2
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:42 PM   #32
maskale

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR Trackbike
2007 Warrior Midnight

riding bare foot on a fourwheeler down a gravel road I hit a bump and my foot came off the peg and my little toe hit the ground first and my foot got dragged under the quad between the rear tires. The top of my foot was gone from the little toe all the way to my ankle. It seriously looked like ground meat with rocks in it.

I opted for no skin graft, personally I just did not like the idea and there was a patient in the next room who was on his second skin graft because the first one did not work. 8 days in the hostpital and I had had enough, the hospital would wrap my foot with gauze (sp?) and then take them off the next day after the bandage had been on the wound over night, that was the worst pain of my life, it sounded like duck tape when they would take it off the wound. I signed the paper work releasing the hospital of liablity and went home. I started using bandages that would not stick to the wound and would put honey and vitamin E on the wound. After that the wound made lots of progress. It did take a few weeks to heal but it did. They warned me that the scar may be bad and could affect my walking and be to sinsitive to even put socks on. After it healed it has not ever bothered me and my foot moves freely. I got a big scar but its on my foot anyways, and 10 years later its not that noticeable.
maskale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:45 PM   #33
maskale

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR Trackbike
2007 Warrior Midnight

looked at the pic again, mine was serveral times bigger than that and the whole thing was deep red like that one part of yours. I would not go with a graft. Leaving the hospital was the best choice I made.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:59 PM   #34
maskale

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR Trackbike
2007 Warrior Midnight

I had to stay off my foot for a month and a half, not because of the wound but because of my severly sprained hip, knee and ankle when my foot/leg got twisted around under the quad. It probably took 3 months to heal completley but I was only off my foot because of the sprain. My movement may have helped keep the scar from being tight. I would bandage and wear shoes with the laces very loose.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:23 PM   #35
BigRick82
Get It Up!

Bike(s):
06 Hayabusa

But is there a recent pic? Lots of silvadene and the best bandages are the second skin type $$$.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:50 PM   #36
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Tough decision. I'm not sure which route I would choose. It's a coin-flip.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:07 PM   #37
Denee
Leather n lace

Bike(s):
TL1000r(race), '06 GSXR600

Send a message via AIM to Denee
So far, good honest replies. Kind of like a multiple choice question and you don't know the best answer, but you pick the best one cause you have to live with it.
There's always a second opinion to be had.
After having looked at your wound again, and the photos, I just don't see why a decent surgeon couldn't release the underlying tissue and pull the lateral/medial ends together to be held with stitches or other means. A local to deaden or type of nerve block. The skin there has great elasticity.

I wonder if sometimes the Dr. in charge just looks at the best way to make some money out of it vs. "other" alternatives.
Denee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:10 PM   #38
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denee View Post
I wonder if sometimes the Dr. in charge just looks at the best way to make some money out of it vs. "other" alternatives.

That is always a concern of mine as well.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:17 PM   #39
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Man, we need to have downed rider support groups.
Good luck with your recovery Patricia.
I picked up a pretty cool fold out chair at Sams that sits up like a regular chair and then reclines back with your feed way up in the air. It came in handy during my ankle recovery. Very comfy.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:18 PM   #40
kraelo
Love Breaks up Families

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
None

I'd go with the hyperbaric chamber and long term healing, (this does increase chance of infection also)

No way would I go under the knife.

-daniel
Dear Friend, First i must solicit for your strictest confidence in this transaction and I pray that my decision to contact you will be given genuine approval considering the fact that we have not know each other before. Your urgent response is highly needed. -Kraelo
kraelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement