MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2007, 12:27 PM   #61
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

September 28, 2007
Red-light cameras to city: You owe $16,425
The city's red-light camera program is supposed to increase safety at intersections, police say, by prompting "behavior modifications" in motorists.

City of Houston
Clearly, some government workers aren't getting the message.

We reported last spring that more than 100 public vehicles, including police cruisers and school buses, were nabbed during the first five months the cameras were operational.

Not much has changed, according to records we've received under the Texas Public Information Act.

In the camera system's first year, more than 520 such vehicles have been cited, resulting in about $40,000 in fines, the records show. City vehicles were responsible for $16,425 of that (41%). The Houston Police Department, whose officers monitor the program, had the most citations: 103.

A few caveats:

We last examined this issue in March, when only 30 cameras were operational. There have been 50 cameras snapping photos since April, however. That's a 67-percent increase in the number of cameras, so it makes sense that more public vehicles would be cited during the latter half of the period we're examining.
Houston police officers might account for the highest total, some of them might've involved emergencies or other excusable circumstances. I should note, however, that citations aren't typically issued when police cruisers' lights are flashing.
Public employees are humans. They make mistakes and run red lights, just as more than 100,000 Houstonians have. In many cases, their agencies require them to pay the fines. They can even be fired for repeated violations.

Link:
http://blogs.chron.com/cityhall/arch...ht_camers.html
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Red light pester Fresnel Phan Attorney At Law 4 12-03-2013 07:47 PM
Schlitz, Wine coolers, Boone's, MD 20/20, Malt Liquor, Miller Light, Bud Light... Helios Off Topic 32 03-05-2012 06:12 PM
why wouldn't you support red light cams? craigntx Off Topic 70 09-15-2010 07:16 AM
Red Light Cameras to Catch Illegal Turns Pat General Discussion (Moto Related) 58 10-10-2007 08:40 AM
Red Light Cams! MACK Off Topic 23 08-30-2006 01:26 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2007, 01:06 PM   #62
Mel
Fast Kitty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
a sportbike and a dirtbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
The bottom line is: it's best just to hit the brakes when the light turns yellow. It's simply safer overall, especially, from a Motorcyclist's POV, if the guy you t-bone is another motorcyclist.
+1

I am all for the cameras, on account of I don't run reds. Red light runner sux big ones. Esp if you have ever had someone you knew on a bike (or car for that matter) plowed by someone trying to shave that few minutes off by not getting stuck at a red.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:24 PM   #63
zampano

Send a message via AIM to zampano
does the light know when you are running the light because you dont want to be run over by a drunk in a big truck? happened to me last saturday, and I saw the light flash
zampano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:34 PM   #64
50cc chick
I <3 Josh

Bike(s):
Aprilia Ride Smart 50 (SOLD)

Send a message via AIM to 50cc chick
Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974 View Post
I got a ticket like this once. The cop was sitting way on the other side of the fwy at a gas station. I argued (in court) that he couldnt see the line from that vantage point. I took pictures and everything. I know well the light was yellow when I went through it. I ended up winning the case. Ha.
that's tight, next time i get a ticket i'll call you to do my dirty work...lol
50cc chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:39 PM   #65
wever411
Gunt Puncher

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 3 years

just wondering, can these cameras tell how fast you are going?
Old 09-28-2007, 01:51 PM   #66
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wever411 View Post
Consider, they take multiple pictures...
If distance from point a to point be is know, then can measure how far an object (ie: you) traveled and get a close estimate.
Sufficient to give speeding ticekt etc too...doubtful, but probably enough to help nail you if there is an accident.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:56 PM   #67
wever411
Gunt Puncher

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 3 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
Consider, they take multiple pictures...
If distance from point a to point be is know, then can measure how far an object (ie: you) traveled and get a close estimate.
Sufficient to give speeding ticekt etc too...doubtful, but probably enough to help nail you if there is an accident.
that's what i was thinking. i was just wondering if they could use it for that purpose
Old 09-28-2007, 05:41 PM   #68
Squeaky

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
I just love coming to a very controlled stop (meaning I was nowhere near the point of no return for the yellow) and watching someone that was farther back than me run it and the flash go off. I giggle.

Actually, that brings up a question - I grew up in the northeast, so I don't know what drivers ed is like down here. Do they teach "the point of no return" and is it practiced? Does anyone ever practice on their own? (meaning you approach a light and actually time yourself from the point you WOULDN'T stop if it changed to yellow at that moment to the point you are safely accross to see if it's within the duration of a yellow)
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran

Last edited by Squeaky; 09-28-2007 at 05:44 PM.
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:54 PM   #69
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
they just put them up at 59 and 1960 as well
Old 09-28-2007, 06:59 PM   #70
andre3k
I see dead people...

My wife drives my truck. She runs the light at post oak and west loop, and swears that it was yellow. The ticket comes to me because the registration is in my name, and i look at the pics and the video. She was in the wrong and it was a blatant running of a red light. I didn't feel sorry for her .

I chewed her out and made her cry, which was fine by me, but if you get a ticket from one of these things then you committed a violation. After she saw the evidence, she still wanted to deny it, which really me off. Sounds like some of the people here. When will folks just man up and take responsibility and stop making excuses.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:06 PM   #71
Squeaky

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
I chewed her out and made her cry, which was fine by me,
There's ways to make someone accept responsibility without making them feel like , you know...
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:18 PM   #72
aznhero913
J.D.

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 CBR600rr
2005 R6 (bye baby)
1992 Yamaha Seca (1st one)

I've been driving motorcycles for over 7 years and i know how important it is to never run red lights and i never do it. This jackass in front of me slammed his brake in the middle of the intersection(for what reason i have no clue), and the camera picked me up(probably him too) cuz by the time we got out of the intersection the light was red.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #73
aznhero913
J.D.

Bike(s):
2009 CBR600rr
2005 R6 (bye baby)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wever411 View Post
I know they have them in georgia
Old 09-28-2007, 08:25 PM   #74
aznhero913
J.D.

Bike(s):
2009 CBR600rr
2005 R6 (bye baby)

btw i'm for the cameras cuz i always get jittery going through a green light(is that just me?) People it seems have become so fuc%n stupid that not only they cant drive a vehicle properly but they've become so selfish that they dont realize the destruction running a red light can cause(especially some of these tanks that these dumba$$ soccer moms drive)
Old 09-28-2007, 09:36 PM   #75
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
There's ways to make someone accept responsibility without making them feel like , you know...
...sometims, with some people. It DOES take a 2x4 and loose change.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:00 AM   #76
SPHINX
Ominous Misanthropia

Bike(s):
2006 ZX6R
2005 749S

Send a message via AIM to SPHINX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
irony at its finest.
I WAS AWARE OF IT, THANKS FOR POINTING IT OUT.
I TOUGHT I COULD MAKE IT BUT I WAS ON A CRUISER BACK THEN... A COUPLE OF MILLISECONDS WOULD'VE TEACHNICALLY SPARED ME FROM PAYING $80 TO THE CITY.
SPHINX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:17 AM   #77
zampano

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznhero913 View Post
btw i'm for the cameras cuz i always get jittery going through a green light(is that just me?) People it seems have become so fuc%n stupid that not only they cant drive a vehicle properly but they've become so selfish that they dont realize the destruction running a red light can cause(especially some of these tanks that these dumba$$ soccer moms drive)
+1 big time, agreed, if I get a ticket for running my light I will be more than willing to pay it, speed cameras is one thing I dont agree with but red light cams is just plain obvious in my mind.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:21 AM   #78
zampano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
I just love coming to a very controlled stop (meaning I was nowhere near the point of no return for the yellow) and watching someone that was farther back than me run it and the flash go off. I giggle.

Actually, that brings up a question - I grew up in the northeast, so I don't know what drivers ed is like down here. Do they teach "the point of no return" and is it practiced? Does anyone ever practice on their own? (meaning you approach a light and actually time yourself from the point you WOULDN'T stop if it changed to yellow at that moment to the point you are safely accross to see if it's within the duration of a yellow)
yes they do teach point of no return here, although I have to honestly say I would not have realised what they were talking about if I had not been listening rather closely that day, they didnt really stick to it very much where I went just liked to talk about how great their classes were. I always keep it in mind, wouldnt say I count seconds but aproching any light I judge my speed and suroundings based on if the light were to turn right then.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:00 PM   #79
RinasDaddy
When in doubt, restart!

Bike(s):
10 Speed :(

Man i see them pop up everywhere now! They put them up quick!
RinasDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:32 PM   #80
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Red-light cams no cash cow

http://blogs.chron.com/cityhall/arch...ne_redlig.html

Red-light cameras are all about raising more revenue, critics charge. But "there's growing proof that that complaint is off base," Governing magazine reports this month:

After Sioux Falls, South Dakota, installed red-light cameras at a key intersection, it saw its revenue from tickets for red-light infractions plummet....

Sioux Falls' fiscal experience with red-light cameras isn't unusual. In 2002, a California state auditor's report found that only two of seven cities studied were netting much money from their red-light camera programs.

As more and more localities install red-light cameras--a decade ago, only a handful of communities had them, but now there are more than 200--the revenue concerns are spreading. Just in the past few months, the subject has come up in Mesa, Arizona; Springfield, Missouri; and Garland, Texas.

I haven't checked the Houston Police Department figures lately, but there was some slim evidence a few months ago that the numbers of citations might level off. That was before the department added another 20 cameras, however.

I'm curious: If the cameras don't produce huge profits for the city, should they still be "controversial"?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement