MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007, 02:40 AM   #1
cz3ch

Feedback Rating: (0)

Taking delivery

So I'm very new here and newer to bikes in general... I was originally picking up an 03 GSXR6 which I thought was a good deal.. but the clutch is blown, the bike veers to the left, and there's tons of transmission chatter and faring damage (this bike has been down hard).. 4k for 03 with 14k mi on it... I test drove the bike today.. even being new.. something felt completely wrong and I felt really squirrelly on it.

Rewind, this one guy I found has a 2001 GSXR6 for a bit less, it's got 16k, bike is immaculately clean, no crashes, clean title, has frame sliders, exhaust, has been tuned for valve service (with receipts), new tires, and is including the replacement chain (the existing one is squeaking and it's loosening) and heavier sprocket to support the upgraded chain...

While I wanted a newer bike, I see nothing wrong with a well maintained 2001 with low miles and plenty of extras... you can tell the bike was not ridden hard, it idles like a steady heart beat, gets up, and rides perfectly straight...

Any thoughts on buying an older bike? I mean 2001 is still pretty new to me, but I'd like some feedback from those with more experience/knowledge

thanks!
-jaems-
cz3ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Explain this fuel delivery system to me ruca7 General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 01-18-2014 02:12 PM
Another bad UPS delivery thread brandontx Off Topic 12 03-28-2013 10:42 AM
Pizza delivery question LDB415 Off Topic 29 10-15-2012 11:07 AM
Need a delivery place for a motor albertinhouston General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 05-17-2012 10:57 PM
dope delivery by...........catapult? craigntx Off Topic 20 01-27-2011 06:27 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2007, 02:46 AM   #2
Reidlos
"Share The TraCk Ya'LL"

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
Crashed-GSX-R 750, Only CARS for Now

Send a message via AIM to Reidlos Send a message via MSN to Reidlos Send a message via Yahoo to Reidlos Send a message via Skype™ to Reidlos
if 03 feels crooked,...i'll defy go with the one that feels comfortable 01...how much is he asking for the 01?, if resonable yep i'll get it...but if not..i'll keep on looking...
R.

....If You Cant Fight Em Join Em, If You Can Convince Em Confuse Em....
a .Net Enthusiast
Reidlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:47 AM   #3
jrayhouston
Always time for a ride!

Bike(s):
2001 GSX-R 1000

come on even an inexperienced rider knows that the 01 is a better deal! I have an 01 R1 and there is nothing wrong with it. Just keep up the scheduled maintenance and it will run just as good as a newer bike if not better!
jrayhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:47 AM   #4
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
i know someone who may be willing to part with his 03 for around that price...excellent shape...let me know if you're interested.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:48 AM   #5
Urandaman

Bike(s):
2002 f4i

Send a message via AIM to Urandaman
i bought an 02 f4i.. had 7k miles on it.. already 2500 added on in a month... oil change, and had patricks guys at Motorcycles Unlimited adjust the cct on it and i ride the out of it.

and i paid 4400 for my bike if that means anything to ya...
just meet some of the guys on the board and have them go with ya to check out the bike and get their opinions on the bike... someone who wont soften up the edges, and that will say this is good, this needs adjusting, X will need replaced soon and what not.
Urandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:58 AM   #6
buddha429
Reformed Track Addict

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
at the junkyard

or take the bike to Motorcycles Unlimited and have patrick look over it.
buddha429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:00 AM   #7
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
01-03 gsxr 600 are all the same.

(save maybe some very very minor obscure differences)

same body syle, 99.5+% of the parts are the same.

getting the 01 is obviously better then the ragged out 03 in this case.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:58 AM   #8
paniro187

how much riding exp. do you have??

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 07:02 AM   #9
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

The '01 and '03 GSXR600 are the same bike, so I'd buy the cleaner of the two.
Even if the newer one was an '04, if it's been crashed hard, why buy someone elses headache.

You're welcome to bring either bike by the shop and we'll do a free visual inspection and test drive to let you know what you're getting.

Good luck!

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:12 AM   #10
cz3ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187 View Post
how much riding exp. do you have??
Honestly, very little. 6-9 months 5 years ago... Which is why I'm taking the MSF and I'm also going to most likely buy a 250r as my practice bike. The 01 is priced at 3500 and is in superb shape and rides wonderfully.... The 03 the price he dropped it to was 4000 but it rides like sh*t and I honestly feel very uncomfortable on the bike. I can just tell that something is not right. Somethig is up with the steering/trees or the front tire is off...I shouldn't feel like I have to pull the bike to the right to stay afloat..
Old 08-26-2007, 08:14 AM   #11
cz3ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
The '01 and '03 GSXR600 are the same bike, so I'd buy the cleaner of the two.
Even if the newer one was an '04, if it's been crashed hard, why buy someone elses headache.

You're welcome to bring either bike by the shop and we'll do a free visual inspection and test drive to let you know what you're getting.

Good luck!
Thanks Patrick! You guys rock... I'll probably do that with the 01 if I get it... The guy is trying to get a car today so he wants to do the transaction today. I need to find a truck or something I can drive from Katy to Pasadena to pick it up lol. (I drive a tC + 350z)... lol

I agree with your logic 100%...I'd buy an 89 that was perfect before I bought an 07 that's been dumped (hard)
Old 08-26-2007, 08:15 AM   #12
cz3ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidlos View Post
if 03 feels crooked,...i'll defy go with the one that feels comfortable 01...how much is he asking for the 01?, if resonable yep i'll get it...but if not..i'll keep on looking...
R.
The 01 is 3500$ the 03 is 4000$
Old 08-26-2007, 08:30 AM   #13
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

don't worry about the big bike, they come and go like the wind

here's 2 buys
http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/404779624.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/384840631.html
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:39 AM   #14
cz3ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
don't worry about the big bike, they come and go like the wind

here's 2 buys
http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/404779624.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/384840631.html
I was looking at the black one actually... lil scuffed up but nothing major.... and you're right... bikes are like cars.. there's always deals/more out there over time... and maybe the "perfect" bike will come along when I'm ready... I really could care less how I look to other squids riding a 250r compared to their 600/litres... to me it's all about the ride.. not about how boss you look on your ride... or how many girls you can impress with a wheelie... I just like to ride and feel the wind in my HELMET!!!
Old 08-26-2007, 08:42 AM   #15
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

cool, the black one is owned by a member here, and he 'WANTS' to sell it BAD!

MSF schools

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:46 AM   #16
cz3ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
cool, the black one is owned by a member here, and he 'WANTS' to sell it BAD!

MSF schools

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68
Yup, i'm going to give him a call here once my coffee kicks in and see if I can go see it today.... would be a great entry... though I'm known to alter anything I own (cough cough boosted scion tc/supercharged 350z)... so I'm sure the stickers will come off and I'll clean up the lines of the bike... that part is an addiction
Old 08-26-2007, 08:52 AM   #17
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by cz3ch View Post
I was looking at the black one actually... lil scuffed up but nothing major.... and you're right... bikes are like cars.. there's always deals/more out there over time... and maybe the "perfect" bike will come along when I'm ready... I really could care less how I look to other squids riding a 250r compared to their 600/litres... to me it's all about the ride.. not about how boss you look on your ride... or how many girls you can impress with a wheelie... I just like to ride and feel the wind in my HELMET!!!
That's a great attitude that's gonna keep you out of danger in the long run.
logan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:56 AM   #18
cz3ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
That's a great attitude that's gonna keep you out of danger in the long run.

Yup... Houston is a dangerous place... you have to be realistic.. plus I'm 30 so I've had my fair share of the "stupidity" factor.... It's time to be sensible about things and do it right and be patient... If I want to haul down a track on a Ducati, Gsxr, etc I will... when the time is right and I feel confident/safe enough to do so. Until then... I'm going to have some fun with the 250.. I rode one a long time ago, they are small, VERY VERY forgiving, and a blast to ride... They don't have the throw of a V-twin... but as we all know that's not the point here

Now if I can just do this whole learning thing while looking cooL!!! HAHAHA
Old 08-26-2007, 09:53 AM   #19
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Nothing wrong with an older bike, as long as it has been taken care of. The 250 is a fun bike, but can get you in trouble as well.

Take your time, do the MSF to refresh the skills, and find the right group of people to ride with so you don't get over your head.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:28 PM   #20
cz3ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Nothing wrong with an older bike, as long as it has been taken care of. The 250 is a fun bike, but can get you in trouble as well.

Take your time, do the MSF to refresh the skills, and find the right group of people to ride with so you don't get over your head.
Thanks for the advice.... I'm deciding to stick with the 250... unfortunately I can't get ahold of the guy that is selling it.. so I'll have to try again this week... I'm trying to get in at awesome cycles asap for the MSF...

Advertisement