MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Stunters Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2007, 02:18 AM   #1
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

8/24 Pics Pt. 2

Mala Lingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Herf down pt 2 story and pics Herf General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 11-09-2009 06:05 PM
Phiddy pics pt 2 Mala Lingua General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 12-23-2006 02:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2007, 02:34 AM   #2
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

Man, I good at taking pic?
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 02:36 AM   #3
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97900rr01f4i View Post
Man, I good at taking pic?
Yep, ya sure are Mr. Billet Bandit.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:49 AM   #4
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

take your camera off auto and use it on manual to get some variety in your pics. The flash is washing out everything in the foreground and getting nothing in the background. For night shots open up the aperture, use a tripod, and slow the shutter speed down a bit. Don;t get me wrong your pics are good but if your want variety you have to experiment a bit. This is coming from someone who takes all his pics at nite.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 02:52 AM   #5
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
take your camera off auto and use it on manual to get some variety in your pics. The flash is washing out everything in the foreground and getting nothing in the background. For night shots open up the aperture, use a tripod, and slow the shutter speed down a bit. Don;t get me wrong your pics are good but if your want variety you have to experiment a bit. This is coming from someone who takes all his pics at nite.
Thanks for the advice! I've been bad about just pointing and clicking, but I would like to try new approaches. What kind of things you like to snap pics of at night? Do you just happen to take pics mostly at night, or is there a specific draw?
Old 08-25-2007, 03:00 AM   #6
andre3k
I see dead people...

my job requires me to take lots of pictures at night. I just transferring over to the digital side, I still have mostly film equipment. But its nice not being tied to the photo lab.

Heres a few tips on your next outing.

1. use a cheap tripod, 30 bux at walmart or 8 bux at salvation army. For night photos you need a tripod.

2. Ditch the flash for now, but that will also limit movement in your shots. Its amazing what you can do at night w/o the flash

3. Open the aperture up, this will kill depth of field but its still manageable.

4. turn it off auto. Use manual mode only.

5, have fun. I had some really good nite pics I took downtown but they're at work.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:55 PM   #7
soap4life
Reverend

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
z1000

Send a message via AIM to soap4life
i really like that photo showing my jumping to flamingo hahaha

woops im on the wrong screen name hahaha it me NO MERCY hahahaha brians a ***got
soap4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:59 PM   #8
GABRIEL

Quote:
my job requires me to take lots of pictures at night. I just transferring over to the digital side, I still have mostly film equipment. But its nice not being tied to the photo lab.

1. use a cheap tripod, 30 bux at walmart or 8 bux at salvation army. For night photos you need a tripod.

2. Ditch the flash for now, but that will also limit movement in your shots. Its amazing what you can do at night w/o the flash

3. Open the aperture up, this will kill depth of field but its still manageable.

5, have fun. I had some really good nite pics I took downtown but they're at work.
Are you taking moving shots.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:07 PM   #9
NO MORE F4I
my hand hurts

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
bikeless now
my bmx p.o.s.

where are my stoppie pics?
Old 08-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #10
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mercy f4i View Post
where are my stoppie pics?
There's another post, check there. This is pt 2.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:10 PM   #11
NO MORE F4I
my hand hurts

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
bikeless now
my bmx p.o.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mala Lingua View Post
There's another post, check there. This is pt 2.
i did, only a highchair one, none of the other ones came out good i bet, i guess we should all try again tommorow
Old 08-25-2007, 04:31 PM   #12
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
Quote:

dude, no offense, but you don't know what you're talking about. the ONLY way to get action shots in a dark parking lot is with the flash. the reason the background is getting washed out is because the flash isn't powerful enough. on a P&S they will always look like that. if she slows down the shutter speed enough to get a balanced exposure, the entire picture will be nothing but a giant blur. and a tripod?? you're kidding right? have you ever used a tripod to take pics of moving objects??

at this point and those conditions, the only thing that is going to make her pics better is a better camera. learning the settings on the camera will only make them marginally better. a cheap p&S will only do so much for low light action shots.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #13
GABRIEL

Well we were trying to get peep's to ride by the light we had out there. Besides, who care about the back ground.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:50 AM   #14
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
dude, no offense, but you don't know what you're talking about. the ONLY way to get action shots in a dark parking lot is with the flash. the reason the background is getting washed out is because the flash isn't powerful enough. on a P&S they will always look like that. if she slows down the shutter speed enough to get a balanced exposure, the entire picture will be nothing but a giant blur. and a tripod?? you're kidding right? have you ever used a tripod to take pics of moving objects??

at this point and those conditions, the only thing that is going to make her pics better is a better camera. learning the settings on the camera will only make them marginally better. a cheap p&S will only do so much for low light action shots.

Key words there are "limit movement". I was referring to low light photography in general, not just the pics she took of yall. For the shots I do I never use a flash. I only use flash in daylight to fill in shadows. Granted these were general suggestions but then again my photo subjects don't move around much because they are usually dead by the time I get there. Given the conditions I normally work in my pictures come out pretty decent.....decent enough to testify in criminal cases.

As far as the P&S camera in low light, they work pretty decent if you use it on manual mode,sans the flash. When I want to finish a scene quick, I pull out the point and shoot and set it up on a tripod and get my pics. If its dark I'll just paint the scene with my streamlight for a few secs and its turns pitch black into daytime, all w/o using a flash.

My go to setup, when all else fails is a Pentax K100 35mm slr and a flash light.
All manual camera that uses no batteries and a very basic light meter. I've done entire crime scenes using this alone and wouldn't hesitate to present them as evidence before a jury. Granted I'll use 7 - 8 rolls of film, but I get beautiful shots from a $30.00 camera I bought at a shop.

Last edited by andre3k; 08-26-2007 at 03:54 AM.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:52 AM   #15
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

^^ Haters make you famous to.. and i've been seeing alittle hating going your way.. sucks.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:59 AM   #16
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Unassailable View Post
^^ Haters make you famous to.. and i've been seeing alittle hating going your way.. sucks.
yep....but its all good. No one on MH paid my mortgage last month, so I could care less what anyone else thinks.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:17 AM   #17
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Quote:
yep....but its all good. No one on MH paid my mortgage last month, so I could care less what anyone else thinks.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #18
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
2. Ditch the flash for now...
Don't be surprised if I start begging ya to come out and give a lesson in the parking lot. And again, thanks for the advice Andre. It'd be fun to get one of you with photography experience to come out and shoot one night; I wouldn't mind learning something new.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:05 PM   #19
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mala Lingua View Post
Don't be surprised if I start begging ya to come out and give a lesson in the parking lot. And again, thanks for the advice Andre. It'd be fun to get one of you with photography experience to come out and shoot one night; I wouldn't mind learning something new.
no problem, I usually work past midnite and always have my camera gear on me when I'm at work. And I work the sw side now, so i'm always close by if i'm not on a call. clayton has seen me come by once, but i never see anyone their now, but then i dont check that often.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:26 AM   #20
Duck84
bikeless....at the moment

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
03 600rr--> sold

sweet pics!!!!!
Duck84 is offline   Reply With Quote