MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
drojas324

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2002 XR50 with extra stunt skills :-)

Send a message via AIM to drojas324
Am I thinking straight?! Sell my bike?

Okay here it goes: I am considering selling my bike......I can't believe I just typed that! Dont get me wrong I love my bike, but what Ive realized is that I dont want to invest more money into something that I dont plan on keeping for awhile.

I feel that I have outgrown my 750 shadow which I have had for 2 years(my 1st bike) and I either want a 1300 cruiser or a 600 sportsbike but I cant afford to bump up right now. I also wont have alot of time to ride b/c of school coming up.

Another reason is HOUSTON SUCKS!! There is no where to ride. Going to Kemah and Galveston get pretty boring after awhile. And I dont always have time to even go that far anyway. Im proud of my city but lately my worries about my safety are overwhelming my enjoyment of riding. No matter how safe I ride and no matter if I have all my gear on, Im still at the mercy of some idiot on the road(just the other day I saw this lady BRUSHING HER TEETH on I-10!!)

What Im figuring is sell the bike since its going to be sitting alot these next 2 semesters, save the money, and wait til I move in about a year and get one then. Im planning on attending A&M in the fall of '08 and the traffic there is not even close to as bad as it is here.

Am I thinking right? Im asking b/c I never thought I would ever sell my baby but I feel that Im at a turning point. If anybody has any opinions at all please respond. Thanks.
drojas324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking about a Sport bike. Lunchbox6 General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 12-01-2011 01:04 AM
thinking about getting a new bike soap4life General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 08-02-2007 11:53 PM
Thinking about getting a new bike... Robert95z General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 02-27-2007 12:17 AM
Thinking about a track bike racer-rob Taking it to the Track 31 09-09-2006 01:40 AM
THINKING ABOUT SELLING MY BIKE 2KBUSA General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 05-07-2006 04:14 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Vandals
Scooter

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha r1
1981 Honda Trail 110 -"The Tank"

I just sold my bike so that i could move to houston... I plan to get another one once im on my feet.. so do what you think is best
Vandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
Andy
Draped up

Bike(s):
2004 R6

where did you sell your bike? it seems pretty hard to sell it unless you put like a ridiculously low price
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
Vandals
Scooter

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha r1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
where did you sell your bike? it seems pretty hard to sell it unless you put like a ridiculously low price
waco
Old 08-23-2007, 01:54 PM   #5
FJRmgm

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

"HOUSTON SUCKS!! There is no where to ride."

You need to get out more - plenty of places to ride right outside of Houston in every direction. Some flatter than others, but plenty of places.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
drojas324

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRmgm View Post
"HOUSTON SUCKS!! There is no where to ride."

You need to get out more - plenty of places to ride right outside of Houston in every direction. Some flatter than others, but plenty of places.
Yeah, your right, there is places to ride in every direction, but its not everyday I have 4-5 hrs of free time. Im near 45s/610 and just to get past 1960 takes at least 45 min, so thats a 1hr out, cruising around for another 2, break time, maybe get some food, and then 1hr back home. I dont get the chance to do that every week.

Also, all the Harley riders I meet are pretty much stuck up jerks. (no offense to anyone) Its like "Dont talk to me if you dont own a harley." The guys on sportsbikes are more welcoming me than those guys. Then again, Im only 20. I think they are mad that they paid 4 times more for their bike than what I paid for mine and my bike is still louder than theirs.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by drojas324 View Post
Im planning on attending A&M in the fall of '08 and the traffic there is not even close to as bad as it is here.

Buy a 600 and start doing track days at TWS (Texas World Speedway). Plus there are some decent roads out towards lake sommerville.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:46 PM   #8
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
my advice:

fill up your tank, then shut off the fuel valve to the carbs.
run the bike till it dies (so the gas doesnt gum up)
put a battery tender on it. put a cover on it.

see how long you can leave it in that state before getting the overwhelming itch to uncover it, pull it off the tender, let the gas flow and fire it up and ride...even if its to the corner store or around the block.

if you dont uncover it for 2 months...sell it. otherwise keep it. you may even want to keep it stored until your ready to upgrade anyways, that way when you dont have to save the full amount for the new bike. just whatever minus what you can sell the shadow for.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:07 PM   #9
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

I give you credit for being 20 and riding a 750 shadow for two years before wanting someting different. I think the last guy has a 250 ninga for 2 weeks prior to getting a 600.

I think that bike would be just the ticket for commuting. You already own it, it can't cost much to insure and put fuel in. Unless you need the money from selling it, I say keep it. Unless you have a very fuel efficient car you will do well saving money on gas and you will still have a bike to ride.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:09 PM   #10
NO MORE F4I
my hand hurts

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
bikeless now
my bmx p.o.s.

learn to wheelie it, youll ride forever
Old 08-23-2007, 09:12 PM   #11
Vandals
Scooter

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha r1

I just sold my bike 2 days ago and im miserable again.. so dont sell it if you truely love riding
Old 08-23-2007, 09:14 PM   #12
NO MORE F4I
my hand hurts

Bike(s):
bikeless now
my bmx p.o.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandals View Post
I just sold my bike 2 days ago and im miserable again.. so dont sell it if you truely love riding
hahahaha yopu gotta learn to wheelie all over again on a new bike
Old 08-23-2007, 09:15 PM   #13
Vandals
Scooter

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha r1

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mercy f4i View Post
hahahaha yopu gotta learn to wheelie all over again on a new bike
thats half the fun of it. and the clutch was going out on the r6 anyways.. I feel sorry for the dude that picked it up from me.. 13k miles, clutch going out, $8700 left to pay on the bike
Old 08-23-2007, 09:30 PM   #14
drojas324

Bike(s):

I already know how to wheelie man! I cruise around til I find a fat chick, throw her on that back and then gun it!
Old 08-23-2007, 09:33 PM   #15
NO MORE F4I
my hand hurts

Bike(s):
bikeless now
my bmx p.o.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandals View Post
thats half the fun of it. and the clutch was going out on the r6 anyways.. I feel sorry for the dude that picked it up from me.. 13k miles, clutch going out, $8700 left to pay on the bike
**** that, im still making payments, and i might replace the motor
Old 08-23-2007, 09:33 PM   #16
NO MORE F4I
my hand hurts

Bike(s):
bikeless now
my bmx p.o.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drojas324 View Post
I already know how to wheelie man! I cruise around til I find a fat chick, throw her on that back and then gun it!
gay
Old 08-23-2007, 10:06 PM   #17
Denee
Leather n lace

Bike(s):
TL1000r(race), '06 GSXR600

Send a message via AIM to Denee
I sold my GSXR a while back, spent a ton of money on it only to be, well like you! Houston is no place for a sportbike. Traffic is always heavy, stopped, people on cell phones, etc. I bought a couple dual purpose bikes to have more family involvemnt, trail riding, and if the going gets tough on the road, then I go off-road to find a trail home! If you move to a smaller town, then get another sportbike, or buy a trackbike and continue with what sportbikes were made for in the first place, the track.
dne'
Am I thinking straight?! Sell my bike?
Denee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:24 PM   #18
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

I almost sold my bike before going to college. I decided not to, and it turned out to be a great decision. I used that bike all the time to get from class to class. Thanks to designated motorcycle parking, I was never late to class due to trolling for a parking space, or having to park in remote parking lots.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:54 PM   #19
Amanda
Bulletproof

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

im in the same boat. i dont know if i want to sell mine. i have an 05- cbr-600 rr. and i love it. it has tons of extras already so i dont have to spend money on that. and i love love love riding it. its gorgeous. and the designated parking at college for bikes IS GREAT! but on the other hand im starting to have issues with the safety more and more as well and it really does take away from the enjoyment. im a female and only 20 too... i leave for tx state in a year... so i either sale now or later... i just dont know. i kinda dont wanna wait b/c then the bike will be another yr older, have more miles, and therefore be harder to sell...

Last edited by Amanda; 08-23-2007 at 11:57 PM.
Amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:43 PM   #20
cz3ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denee View Post
I sold my GSXR a while back, spent a ton of money on it only to be, well like you! Houston is no place for a sportbike. Traffic is always heavy, stopped, people on cell phones, etc. I bought a couple dual purpose bikes to have more family involvemnt, trail riding, and if the going gets tough on the road, then I go off-road to find a trail home! If you move to a smaller town, then get another sportbike, or buy a trackbike and continue with what sportbikes were made for in the first place, the track.
dne'
Actually the more and more people I see talk about this.. It's freaking me out.... New rider in Katy/Houston with a Gsxr600.....I'm seriously considering not doing this..... I'm 30.. and I want to live to see 40

:(
cz3ch is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement