MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

keep your eyes open out there ... almost got hit twice this morning

riding into work, almost got hit twice. First time a dude in a truck pulled out in front of me ... I was looking right at him making sure I had eye contact, which I thought I did, but he still pulled out. I got on the brakes hard and so did he ... with BIG EYES like he just saw me ... must have been looking right through me before.

Then a couple miles down the road some jerk felt his lane was moving way to slow for him, decides to quickly get into my lane ... while Im right next to him. The combination of him on the gas and me on the brakes probably saved me. I honked, he looked at me in his rears and gave me the finger ... where's Azylum when you need him?

Crazy cagers out there folks ... ride safe.
logan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keep eyes open redtalon3204 Stolen Bike Reports 1 05-19-2011 04:08 PM
KEEP EYES OPEN!! alexbandit1200 Stolen Bike Reports 32 05-15-2011 06:18 AM
!!! STOLEN HYABUSA !!! Keep your eyes open!!! michellies General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 02-09-2009 08:13 PM
All Eyes Open, and Cover that Break.!!! speedjunkie General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 02-12-2008 12:03 PM
keep your eyes open please.... houseofpaint Off Topic 42 12-29-2007 12:12 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2007, 08:42 AM   #2
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

We just talked about that the other night at bike night. Cagers may see you but not necessarily NOTICE you. They just don't register "Oh, there is a vehicle, I have to wait." They look for cars, expect cars, don't see a car and pull out.

Glad you are okay and made another day in beautiful Houston traffic. Ride careful out there.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:11 AM   #3
Master_Of_Pain
Powa Ranga Action Figure

Ironic that yesterday I had to punch out the side mirror of an Explorer to get the driver's attention as he was trying to merge into me and a concrete reenforcement wall on a sidestreet. He engrossed with a cell phone conversation and seemed to not want to worry about driving.
Master_Of_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:13 AM   #4
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

same all were by women putting make-up on :BangHead:
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you

Last edited by rob78; 08-23-2007 at 09:15 AM.
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:24 AM   #5
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Happens to me several times per week.

Cagers think that when you make eye contact with them that you 'see' them, therefore it's ok for YOU to yield to THEM. That's why he pulled out in front of you. Usually happens in a parking lot.

People are going to cut you off and run into your lane. They don't give a $hit.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

thats why i kinda prefer hwy riding, don't have cars cutting in ft of me. merging wise, thats what the throttle is for.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:41 AM   #7
HellFroze
WhoCalledThisMeeting?

Bike(s):
SOLD --> '02 R6

I just don't ride beside anyone EVER! I know you're going to say that's impossible, but I will argue back saying it is... MAKE THEM see you! I rev my engine, and pass them... I ride in a staggered style with the cagers, when I can't pass them... that way if the car in front decides to switch lanes, they have room... the car behind me has no reason not to see me... soon, as I have the opportunity though, I pass them completely...

Also, as I see a car on a side street pull up... I start flashing my brights on and off... honk my horn... sometimes I even wave at them... I don't care if they make eye contact... I'd rather them curse me out and say, I see you fool! than them pull out and I smash into them...

Just my two cents... but, ditto on what JetG said, I try not to commute to work for the most part...
Old 08-23-2007, 12:02 PM   #8
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellFroze View Post
I just don't ride beside anyone EVER! I know you're going to say that's impossible, but I will argue back saying it is... MAKE THEM see you! I rev my engine, and pass them... I ride in a staggered style with the cagers, when I can't pass them... that way if the car in front decides to switch lanes, they have room... the car behind me has no reason not to see me... soon, as I have the opportunity though, I pass them completely...

Also, as I see a car on a side street pull up... I start flashing my brights on and off... honk my horn... sometimes I even wave at them... I don't care if they make eye contact... I'd rather them curse me out and say, I see you fool! than them pull out and I smash into them...

Just my two cents... but, ditto on what JetG said, I try not to commute to work for the most part...
I commute to work almost everyday on the bike, and what you just posted is what keeps me alive.
jus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:30 PM   #9
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:

becareful w/ the flashing, there are alot of bad drivers out there and they may think your telling them to "go" w/ the flashing, i just flick on my hi-beams and leave them on till i pass them.

and yeah, i commute mostly as well. my bike stays parked on the weekends........
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:44 PM   #10
wever411
Gunt Puncher

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 3 years

in defense of certain careful cagers, there are lots of blind spots while you are driving your car. when I first got my car, I didn't know all of them and I found out that the A-pillar was big enough to hide a car. I just saw it at the last minute. I can only imagine if it was a bike traveling faster. just my $.02
Old 08-23-2007, 02:01 PM   #11
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wever411 View Post
in defense of certain careful cagers, there are lots of blind spots while you are driving your car. when I first got my car, I didn't know all of them and I found out that the A-pillar was big enough to hide a car. I just saw it at the last minute. I can only imagine if it was a bike traveling faster. just my $.02
unless you're driving a box truck, blind spots are excuses. How hard is it to move your head a few inches one way or the other? Or how about the advent of the side view mirror? Too many people have it angled so they can see the side of their own car and/or behind them, instead of angling it out more to see those "blind spots". I've driven many vehicles (including box trucks) and I don't have problems with blind spots simply because I am aware of my surroundings. (be it either through using my mirrors or turning my head.)
Old 08-23-2007, 02:09 PM   #12
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Amen peeps dont know how to properly adjust their side mirror's +1 on that if adjusted correctly you can actually eliminate the blind spot this is not a myth.

How to Set Rearview Mirrors to Eliminate Blind Spots
It may surprise you to learn that there is a better way to set the rearview mirrors on your car. The quick test: if you look in your side mirrors and you see the side of the car, then you've got it wrong! This is the method recommended at most driving schools, including the BMW Performance Center in South Carolina. Essentially, most people have a huge overlap between the side and center rearview mirrors, which is unnecessary. By spreading your side mirrors you lose no information about what's behind you, but gain valuable insight into what's beside you.

NOTE: adjusting your mirrors in the European Union Vehicle Code like this is against the law, see your own country's or State's Vehicle Code for more information

Steps [edit]Lean your head over until it almost touches the driver's window, and then position the side mirror on the car's left side so you can just see the rear quarterpanel (the rear of the car) in the mirror. Note this will have it positioned farther out than you probably had it before.
Lean your head to be just between the two front seats, at your normal height, and position the right side mirror so you can just see the rear quarterpanel of the passenger side in the mirror.
Adjust the center rearview mirror to place it facing the center of the rear window.
While driving note that a car passing you begins in the center of your rearview mirror. As it approaches you, it moves to the side of your center rear view mirror, and at the same time appears in your side mirror. This shows you that there is no rear blind spot, because there is an overlap between the mirrors.
Also note that your side mirrors now capture a tremendous additional amount of information about what is in the lanes immediately next to your car. Previously you would have to turn your head to ensure nothing was in the lanes beside your car before changing lanes. Now, your side mirrors do a much better job of covering this blind spot on the side.

Tips [edit]Give it at least a week after setting your mirrors this way. It will seem foreign at first but soon will become second nature.
Note that parallel parking becomes more difficult since you cannot see both your car and what's next to it in your side mirrors without moving your head.
Constantly scanning your mirrors instead of just checking them when you want to change lanes or pass someone will help to prevent someone from "sneaking" up on you. Pairing this mirror setting method with constant scanning will allow you to be aware of those around you at all times.

Warnings [edit]Don't adjust mirrors while driving.
ALWAYS look over your shoulders before changing lanes! While this mirror method is very effective at reducing blind spots, one can not depend on it to eliminate them. It is still possible for motorcycles, smaller cars, or even bicycles to hide in unexpected areas around your car.
Looking over your shoulders gives you additional necessary information about the behavior of traffic around you that you can never get from mirrors no matter how well they are placed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus10 View Post
unless you're driving a box truck, blind spots are excuses. How hard is it to move your head a few inches one way or the other? Or how about the advent of the side view mirror? Too many people have it angled so they can see the side of their own car and/or behind them, instead of angling it out more to see those "blind spots". I've driven many vehicles (including box trucks) and I don't have problems with blind spots simply because I am aware of my surroundings. (be it either through using my mirrors or turning my head.)
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-

Last edited by NoFear; 08-23-2007 at 02:12 PM.
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:17 PM   #13
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Well, there is no excuse for "blind spots", when all it takes is a turn of the head.

That is basic drivers ed 101, to check your shoulder on either side before changing lanes...

But it does make it hard to keep the cell phone on the shoulder...

And it may not translate to the Spanish drivers booklet that DPS provides to those who have no inclination to learn the language of this country...
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:50 PM   #14
HellFroze
WhoCalledThisMeeting?

Bike(s):
SOLD --> '02 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
becareful w/ the flashing, there are alot of bad drivers out there and they may think your telling them to "go" w/ the flashing, i just flick on my hi-beams and leave them on till i pass them.

and yeah, i commute mostly as well. my bike stays parked on the weekends........
That's true... point taken... will stick to just turning them on, honking and ...
Old 08-23-2007, 02:53 PM   #15
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

And remember to cover that clutch and brake; one or two secs reaction time can spell the difference.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:55 PM   #16
HellFroze
WhoCalledThisMeeting?

Bike(s):
SOLD --> '02 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
But it does make it hard to keep the cell phone on the shoulder...
This is funny....

Quote:
And it may not translate to the Spanish drivers booklet that DPS provides to those who have no inclination to learn the language of this country...
But, not sure what this has to do with anything... considering that in ANY country (OR language) there are blind spots when you drive... there are plenty of english speaking idiot drivers...

Oh... and this country has no "official" language...
Old 08-23-2007, 02:59 PM   #17
HellFroze
WhoCalledThisMeeting?

Bike(s):
SOLD --> '02 R6

Quote:
And remember to cover that clutch and brake; one or two secs reaction time can spell the difference.

Also, true. I didn't mention that... but I do do this and slow down, as well, when I see someone pull up...
Old 08-23-2007, 02:59 PM   #18
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Quote:
But, not sure what this has to do with anything... considering that in ANY country (OR language) there are blind spots when you drive... there are plenty of english speaking idiot drivers...

Oh... and this country has no "official" language...

Really do they have blind spots in Paris cause they drive on the other side of the street there. What about in the land down under cause if you flush the toliet there the water goes roud and round the other way..... I wonder if this changes those blind spots.... hmmmm......
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:00 PM   #19
SPYDER BITE
Can-Am has arrived

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2009 Can-Am Spyder 990

It's not just cars you gotta watch out for either, Tim almost went down while going through where they have been doing construction, He went to pass a slow moving vehicle and they had the pavement stripped down like 6" and he didn't realize until the duc became a bucking bronc, his leg hit the foot peg and the big was dancing all over the road and caused a nice welp on his calf. I don't know who it freaked out more Tim or the guy he was passing.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:01 PM   #20
jus10

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

, I completely forgot about this until just now...

2 days ago I was riding home and there were 2 boys in the road in the right lane. One riding a bike and the other on skates. Kid on skates turns around into the left lane (still same side of road) and sees me coming and stops there. Then his jacktard sidekick, follows suite and does the same thing only, he waited until I was about 5-10 car lengths away. So he swerves in front of me and as soon as he sees me he stops, freezes up and yells "Sorry!!!!" Luckily I cover my brakes/clutch so I tapped the brakes, then maneuver around him. I felt like whipping his and slapping his parents. Little dude almost got real fuct up.

Advertisement