MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
Din

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
GSXR with CHROME PACKAGE

pin hole size leak in rear tire.

should i jsut buy a new tire or should i get it patched?
Din is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best rear tire size for ninja 250 track SPEED FREAK DECALS Taking it to the Track 5 03-28-2015 04:07 PM
Stripped pin plug of rear caliper 05 r6 nonstopper3 How To's and Q & A's 3 03-20-2015 10:51 AM
05 GIXER 600 TT pin size Z-Man General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 03-29-2013 08:48 PM
2007 GSXR 600 rear brake Floater Pin??? CubanGIXXER General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 11-30-2007 02:44 PM
tire leak redraider832 How To's and Q & A's 16 06-04-2007 10:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
PORSCHITO

Send a message via AIM to PORSCHITO Send a message via Yahoo to PORSCHITO
Re: pin hole size leak in rear tire.

dont risk ur life change the tire.
PORSCHITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:37 AM   #3
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

your life or $100 .. which is cheaper
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:49 AM   #4
Din

Bike(s):
GSXR with CHROME PACKAGE

word. thats what i figured. damm them piolt powers still have alot of thread left.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:37 PM   #5
nels

Bike(s):
01 Silver/Black F4i-SOLD =(

I have the same prob, except the tire is old, but still has decent tread....for now fixaflat is holding it together, but I've only ridden it once since I put that stuff in.

Don't mean to jack ya thread but.....What tire can someone recommend? I don't stunt, I don't ride aggressively, no kneedragging. Right now, I think they're the stock ones, its an 01 f4i with bridgestone bto10 180/55/zr17. I don't even think they make bto10's anymore. lol
nels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 12:39 PM   #6
TooBuku
Dumb Gook

Feedback Rating: (0)

Send a message via AIM to TooBuku

burn out time. holla i'll get the camera ready. We can try to make more smiley faces.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:41 PM   #7
Din

Bike(s):
GSXR with CHROME PACKAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooBuku
burn out time. holla i'll get the camera ready.
unless we gonna do burn out near my house.

it started leakin after that burn out i did last night. It was flat by the time i got home.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:42 PM   #8
TooBuku
Dumb Gook

Send a message via AIM to TooBuku

Quote:
Originally Posted by nels
I have the same prob, except the tire is old, but still has decent tread....for now fixaflat is holding it together, but I've only ridden it once since I put that stuff in.

Don't mean to jack ya thread but.....What tire can someone recommend? I don't stunt, I don't ride aggressively, no kneedragging. Right now, I think they're the stock ones, its an 01 f4i with bridgestone bto10 180/55/zr17. I don't even think they make bto10's anymore. lol
Get something like the Dunlop D218 if not available the D208. You'll get good life out of them and they aren't over kill for street riding.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:48 PM   #9
JoeRider

Member Garage

I guess I have never gotten a "real" reason why a plug/patch is not safe? Obviously if a tire blows on a bike there are/can be serious consequences. However, for just street riding and sunday cruisin, is the risk really as great as it sounds???
Old 07-20-2005, 12:56 PM   #10
P-Ratt

Bike(s):
FZ1

A properly administered repair can get you on the road fine. *That is, a repair which involves removing the tire and patching from the inside. *Now, when burnouts, stunting, and 100mph trips come into play, I wouldn't recommend it. *For normal city/highway/backroad, you'll be fine. *The tire will lose a level or two in the speed rating. *Trouble is, most shops in Houston won't plug a Z-rated tire anymore.

Fixaflat is asking for trouble. *Don't rely on that stuff any longer than getting you safely home or out of harm's way. *And remember to take it very slow!

Other tires I would recommend: Bridgestones work fine, but feather/ cup often. *Diablo is da' bomb. *The front wears much better than the rear though. (short life) *Not a fan of Dunlop at all. *They work well enough if you are on a tight budget and want a big name tire. *Avon has some choice rubber out there. *Metzeler needs a lot of warm up before they want to stick. *If you aren't hard-charging or knee draggin, don't overlook the ST tires out there. *They stick like sport tires did 5 years ago.
P-Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:09 PM   #11
nels

Bike(s):
01 Silver/Black F4i-SOLD =(

Yeah, the fixaflat was just a quick way to get air in my tire. It was flat, in the garage for the longest time, so I just used it as a pump, then took it to the gas station to put more air in it. Weird thing was that, I didnt see where it was flat, meaning, i didnt see any of that fixaflat liquid bubbling out anywear. So I thought it was ok, and rode it to work one day. Came home, parked it, and noticed a lil brown puddle under my rear tire. I looked, and that liquid stuff was bubbling out, cuz apparently a sharp piece of stone or marble punctured the tire. Took the thing out, and the tire hasn't gone flat since, and thats been about two weeks. But I still don't feel safe riding on that, so Ima buy a new tire.
nels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:11 PM   #12
JoeRider

Member Garage

I'm running re-treads on mine from www.cycletires.com *(be pimp and get some color ones! *:laughing6: )

Couldn't find any bad reviews on them so I tried some. *Had them on for about 2-3 weeks now. *They stick really well when it's dry but they do seem a little slick in the rain. * I don't have much to compare rain performance with as I used to run only Avons when I had my FZR many years ago. (Which have/had amazing stick in wet conditions - go figure, the Brits made um) *Oh and the slip was on light acceleration so, this wasn't cornering.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:43 PM   #13
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

If your not a highspeed man or track guy a proper patch on a rear tire would probably be fine. But. if you like spirited Sunday rides and do time at the track don't risk it at all. right:

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:56 PM   #14
Stone_618

Bike(s):
'03 ZX6R 636

Send a message via AIM to Stone_618 Send a message via MSN to Stone_618

it all depends on your riding style. ive plugged about 5 holes in two different tires and never had a problem. ive never went over 130mph or so becuase of the plug, but sometimes i would forget and run up fast and then slow down once i rememnbered the plug. never had one blow on me. when i change out to the new ones i got now, i loked inside the old tires and saw about 3 plugs i had put in it since i got the bike in feb. 03. but i also ride somewhat conservative though. i would always be ready for a blowout thou just in case.

basically, depending on where the hole is on the tire and how much tread is left, depends on whether or not you should patch it. IMO
Old 07-20-2005, 02:00 PM   #15
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Im running a plugged/patched tire (dont buy Brandon from adriniline) Ive been running it for about a year now, Its seen 150 mph an no problems. I dont stunt, I dont wheelie much......
Old 07-20-2005, 03:09 PM   #16
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

mushroom patch (plug/patch combo)* andy at metric is the only one i found in houston that would do it. i had tow on my old tires that lasted forever.

the tire wont blow out unless the integrity of the tire is weak already. that means its the tire manufacturers fault like with firestone and the ford explorers.

dont buy new tires unless you roll like Don and got $$$ coming out of your .

heres the tire i had with two mushroom patches that andy did. they lasted a long time and tire wear came from my regular riding style.

pictures 140
Old 07-20-2005, 03:58 PM   #17
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Depends if the tire carcass was damaged, I've also seen the carcass become damaged during the installation of a plug. I can't speak for other shops but the reason we don't plug tires is our insurance contract has a specific clause forbidding us to do it.
A lot of people ride with plugged tires with no problems, others have had them come apart, probably many more people with plugged tires don't have problems than do.
In the end it's ultimately your choice how much risk you're willing to take.

Patrick

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:24 PM   #18
dotcom
*** PUBLIC RELATIONS ***

Bike(s):
01 Yamaha R6, 125 BBB mini

Send a message via AIM to dotcom Send a message via MSN to dotcom Send a message via Yahoo to dotcom

Din,
I think you know what to do

www.myspace.com/motohouston
dotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:28 PM   #19
Prodigy

Bike(s):
Honda 1000rr
Kawasaki ZX6r
Honda CBR F4i
Suzuki Gsxr750
T-Rex

Member Garage

Ive stunted on many plugged tires of course ive also taken a rim that was jb welded together thru the twisties but then again i do not value my life and wish i was dead "not joking" but its up to you
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:33 PM   #20
Din

Bike(s):
GSXR with CHROME PACKAGE

Advertisement