MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 12:45 AM   #21
level5
moving chicane

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
^^^ swweeeeeet!

soon you'll be like me.......you won't give a rat's about permission. you'll start demanding.

but i don't know if you wanna be like me :dontknow:.....i'm stressed from all the aftermath arguements. :laughing6
That's the way. Show her who bring home the bacons.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
texas track days*ride smart*lone star track days DC_The_Boss Taking it to the Track 57 03-19-2009 10:26 PM
MY review on Texas Track days Solracer Taking it to the Track 21 04-01-2008 09:03 PM
They grow up so quick these days !!!!!! Grinchy Off Topic 14 01-15-2008 12:10 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2007, 03:07 AM   #22
ChemiKaze

Bike(s):
07 Red Wing CBR600RR

I like the Elite Track Day concept, but do they have a expert racer out there teaching level 2 riders to race better? Once, I do my Howard school, I will def be in for Elite TD.. I find myself wanting to buy an extra afternoon track time for the other TD orgs. I never liked morning TD as there are always so many peeps with big ball attitudes... :P

For sale: Alth Wave Rotors (Italian baby!) for 03-07 CBR600RR
ChemiKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:11 AM   #23
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
^^^ swweeeeeet!

soon you'll be like me.......you won't give a rat's about permission. you'll start demanding.

but i don't know if you wanna be like me :dontknow:.....i'm stressed from all the aftermath arguements. :laughing6
Me and the old lady have a two way street thing going on...she gets to go shopping buying new clothes (which often adds up to the same amount as a trackday) and I get to ride the track...as long as I get that wedding paid for
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:03 AM   #24
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

^ danny come out next weekend
Old 08-16-2007, 10:09 AM   #25
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
ummm, I'm riding Cresson on the 24th with LSTD....that is next weekend.

And you should come to the Tavern tonight since you are right around the fn corner....maybe pre party at your place?
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:11 AM   #26
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

sure give me a call.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:11 AM   #27
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Sounds like an awesome deal!
I can't wait to get back out there!
Old 08-16-2007, 10:12 AM   #28
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

It is man. Can't wait for it to cool down a little and njoy the fulll 30 minute sessions.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:20 AM   #29
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Glad you had fun BC. I told you Michelins don't do well at Cresson!

I wouldn't suggest slicks for you, but the 090 Bridgestone should make you very happy. Check with John (Kawijm) and he'll definitely hook you up with a sweet deal on some.

There just aren't any other tires lasting as long as the Bridgestones are, and they seem to stay consistently sticky all the way to the cords!
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:24 AM   #30
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

^sweet. I'm going to take you up on the take off offer first to test the difference. For now grip isn;t an issue but wear is.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:31 AM   #31
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Cresson IS hard on tires.

Martin,
I'll get you taken care of.

Jimmy,
I'll get you taken care of too, just bring the bike by or have your wife bring the rim in.

Sweet!

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:33 AM   #32
FireMalt
Recovering track addict

Typically, trackdays at Cresson do not have an ambulance on trackside. The crash truck is equipped with 2 professional firefighter/emt's or paramedics which can stablize and package a patient while the ambulance is on the way to the track.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:20 AM   #33
azoomm

Bike(s):
Ducati 998
KTM 450 EXC tarded
Ducati M900
BMW F800GS
Ducati Hyper EVO SP

Send a message via Yahoo to azoomm
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Glad you had fun BC. I told you Michelins don't do well at Cresson!

I wouldn't suggest slicks for you, but the 090 Bridgestone should make you very happy. Check with John (Kawijm) and he'll definitely hook you up with a sweet deal on some.

There just aren't any other tires lasting as long as the Bridgestones are, and they seem to stay consistently sticky all the way to the cords!
Huge Bridgestone fan here... we're running 002's :icon_bigg

EMS was telling me they don't ever have an abulance parked there. They are the professionals, I'll listen to them.

I DO have expert assistance out there for those that race. It's not formal, but those looking for input in that faster group were always able to grab someone.
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:32 AM   #34
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Huge Bridgestone fan here... we're running 002's :icon_bigg

EMS was telling me they don't ever have an abulance parked there. They are the professionals, I'll listen to them.

I DO have expert assistance out there for those that race. It's not formal, but those looking for input in that faster group were always able to grab someone.
I love the 002's
John Rocks on prices and support!
Old 08-16-2007, 11:40 AM   #35
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Martin, good write-up. Looks like Moira has her stuff and folks together. :icon_bigg Glad to hear you had a good time.

Maybe one day soon Gavin can sign up for one and we'll make one. I am definitely looking forward to it.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:46 PM   #36
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
^sweet. I'm going to take you up on the take off offer first to test the difference. For now grip isn;t an issue but wear is.
You want to "test" wear with used tires?

You're welcome to them, but don't expect to get much time out of them! They'll easily get you one or two track days, but don't expect any more than that.

The basic deal is this: Any new tire in race compound is going to stick juuuuust fine. The issues start to come with how the tire works as it wears and how it works as it gets close to the end of it's useful life.

The Pirellis work very well, and if they wore as well as the Bridgestones, I might even be running them instead (sorry John!). They have really, really good traction. The drawbacks I have found with them was that the smallest tire pressure change can alter the way your bike handles DRASTICALLY. Additionally, as they wore, they got scary. Sliding around corners is cool sometimes, as long as it's controllable. The Pirellis are scary when they get worn.

The Bridgestones don't. They work all the way to the point that you shouldn't use them any more. We've run the 090's past any tread showing at all and were still running lap times as fast (or faster in Glenn's case) as we were at the beginning of the race Lap times in the 56-58 range at TWS (Texas World Speedway). The slicks are just as good, and they never seem to lose their traction capability. Ask Henry. Last year I was riding around on some old slicks at Cresson. I was spinning up all the way around the "tombstone" area (the 3 lefts before the straight in the ccw direction- the one you take as one big turn). When we got back to the pits, Henry was like "Dude, you were sliding all around the track there." I told him "Yeah, but it was controllable". We looked at the tires and saw that the wear dots were LOOOOONG gone. Those tires were 1 year old, and we race the 6 hour on them at Cresson the year before. I had done 3 track days on those tires before the one we were at that time! I didn't run those tires any more that day, but I think a 6 hour at Cresson, plus 3 1/2 track days is pretty good for wear

As a caveat though, I have to say that my suspension and tire pressures were always adjusted and tuned, and the fact that I am not that fast, has a lot to do with tire wear. I don't think some of my team mates would make the tires last as long because they are faster. Glenn is faster (he runs a 56 pace at TWS (Texas World Speedway)), but he's smoother too. He can ride worn tires for freakin' ever. Me and Randy tend to tear them up more- me I think because of my weight and not being as smooth, Randy because he is plain fast and takes the corners HARD.

If you're looking for traction differences, you'll be disappointed. Just about every major vendor has a really good sticky tire. The difference is the way they wear- how fast and how they act. We were die-hard Michelin riders, we switched to Dunlop (which was very good, but really expensive), then we switched to Bridgestone 3 years ago and haven't looked back.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:32 PM   #37
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Not really looking for more traction just better wear. The powers I'm running are sticking just fine TBH but the wear is killing my wallet(I have another day at cresson left in them). I need to play with air pressure settings so I can start getting a grasp of the affect it has on the bike. I'm no rossi and never will be. Instead just another guy trying to learn how to ride his bike and understand what its doing under him. I'd like to break 2 minutes at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and run low 1:30's or even high 1:20's at cresson. Tom as always thanks for the valuable info you share with us.

BC
Old 08-16-2007, 06:14 PM   #38
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Not really looking for more traction just better wear. The powers I'm running are sticking just fine TBH but the wear is killing my wallet(I have another day at cresson left in them). I need to play with air pressure settings so I can start getting a grasp of the affect it has on the bike. I'm no rossi and never will be. Instead just another guy trying to learn how to ride his bike and understand what its doing under him. I'd like to break 2 minutes at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and run low 1:30's or even high 1:20's at cresson. Tom as always thanks for the valuable info you share with us.

BC

NP Dude, I hope it is valuable. As always, you're welcome to get those take-offs from me. I'll be happy to bring them to work so you don't have to drive all the way out to Needville to get them.

I know that David Hirsch at Michelin recommends some really low pressures on the PR tires- like 22 or 24 psi. I have heard some of his guys running a bit lower at Cresson, like 20-21 psi when Cresson has cooler temps :shrugs:

Anyway, the street compound Michelins aren't the same, but I'd bet they would run lower psi also (you'd have to ask Patrick about that).

If you're still above 2 mins at TWS (Texas World Speedway), the 090 will suit you juuuust fine. , we were running well below 2 mins on the 090 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) without any issues. We switched to slicks because they are just so awesome with the lean angles, and it gives us more options in the corners if we get in to trouble. They also last for the full 8 hour race. We did the whole 8 hour on 090's one year, but we probably shouldn't have. The funny thing is, we ran those 090's in the 57/ 58 range in the 8th hour too!