MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 12:31 AM   #21
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

if you still dont know if you want to track it out or sell it just give me the bike and I will track it out and ride the $hit out of it for you
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone have a suzuki (or sv650) RR they'd like to part with? SideVinder650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 10-06-2013 10:51 PM
Need some sv650 front brake pads, or in stock? Also rear caliper? Fastola General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 07-05-2013 12:15 PM
2 Part question Dread6 General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 06-06-2011 10:30 PM
Question: Need SV650 Help Urgently Tiller1k General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 08-18-2009 10:03 AM
SV650 question... JSki General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 07-23-2008 10:06 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2007, 12:59 AM   #22
Fight The Chaos

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
04 cbr 600
'06 zx6r
'03 250r
'05 R1

I would get another bike for the track, at least thats what I will do. So if by any chance I end up demolishing my track bike, I still have another one I can take to the track while the crashed track bike can be repaired.

I can't stay off my bike even if it means taking it to the streets. I really like your fully faired SV by the way, hope you get it back in shape.
Fight The Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:45 AM   #23
atizzle

Bike(s):
'03 SV650S

Send a message via AIM to atizzle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight The Chaos View Post
I would get another bike for the track, at least thats what I will do. So if by any chance I end up demolishing my track bike, I still have another one I can take to the track while the crashed track bike can be repaired.

I can't stay off my bike even if it means taking it to the streets. I really like your fully faired SV by the way, hope you get it back in shape.
Thanks man. It used to look nice. :eh:
atizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:53 AM   #24
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

2003 kawasaki z1000

Send a message via AIM to S_M_J82
Quote:
Originally Posted by atizzle View Post
Thanks man. It used to look nice. :eh:
it's all going to depend on your budget. If your going to track it out i don't mind giving you a hand on finding deals on parts. I'm actually pretty decent at finding bargain stuff!!! But again it's all going to boil down what you want to spend and what's it worth to you.. I also have an 04 SV650S it's blue and in excellant shape! only 4400miles on it. Still haven't decided what to do with it either.. So think long and hard on what you want to do and just go for it!!
Old 08-15-2007, 08:01 AM   #25
rc51eviltwin

Feedback Rating: (1)

yep i think if it was me i would def track the bike.
cannibalize what you can out of it,sell it and use it toward the track goodies.
look at it this way if its paid for,you will get better money for it once you have race track prepped it and have ridden it as hard as you can.i ride an '03 SV650 on the track and it hauls a$$,no its not the fastest but its alot of fun passing $14000 ducs on the tight stuff.you will have more fun,i think,being a better rider on a "slow" than a slow rider on a fast bike.IMHO
ps . dont worry about the looks,then you will start worrying about dropping it again.
Joe
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #26
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

I have to agree with what everyone is saying about lightweight bikes. I had more fun on my new motard than I ever had on my faster bikes. It was great having people pull me on the straights only to catch them in the turns. Very satisfying too!

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:13 PM   #27
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

2003 kawasaki z1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RSVR View Post
I have to agree with what everyone is saying about lightweight bikes. I had more fun on my new motard than I ever had on my faster bikes. It was great having people pull me on the straights only to catch them in the turns. Very satisfying too!
shoosh no one is supposed to know your faster in the turn. lol jk
Old 08-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #28
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Since it is an SV, go ahead and track it out.

Replace with cheap parts or leave the damages ones on there for now, in case you will put her down again. I've seen quite a few bikes with duct tape on the track.

Rearsets aren't that much and can protect the frame in a crash since some work very nicely as sliders as well. They saved my boyfriend's CBR when it went down. So they are worth it.

You'll make some money back from selling lights, etc.

Once you did a few trackdays, you can then consider working on Ohlins and other things. One by one.

Then you can always consider putting nicer trackplastics on like Tom offers.

All this gives you projects to do inbetween trackdays so you won't get too bored since you are seizing streetriding.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:31 PM   #29
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_M_J82 View Post
shoosh no one is supposed to know your faster in the turn. lol jk
! the secret is out!!!! In all honesty the biggest thing to me is knowing the track. I've been out there four or five times and that gives a rider a HUGE advantage over someone there for the first time.

I saw a lot of riders get a lot faster during the day, it was a great day over all.

Oh, and sorry to whoever it was that I dove inside of going into turn one. I didn't get yelled at (like someone else did hehehe) but I felt a little bad after doing it!

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:03 PM   #30
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

AT, it was good to talk to you today I think you're on the right track.

The SV has some inherent problems that should be addressed with suspension, you already have a handle on one of them (the front end). The rear shock is pure shyte, and a cheap "fix" many have gone with is to get a GSXR or 636 shock to replace it with. They are OK, but not nearly as good as a Penske or Ohlins. The Ohlins is the natural choice for me, but for some suspension gurus and mechanic types, that is a "Ford vs Chevy" debate.

If I were in your shoes, here is the course I would take.

2 choices on the forks, leave them as is (because that is a good set up) or sell them for a pretty decent amount of money (SVRider.com and WERA peeps buy SV front ends for really decent amounts of money) and buy a complete GSXR front end. The GSXR front end can even be left un-sprung and stock valve'd on the SV and still perform better than a stock SV front end. I prefer the GSXR front end, always have, always will. The SV front end (even very well set up) is not as stable and planted as the GSXR front end is (personal preference, Patrick and I have debated this before 'cause he's on the opposite side of this particular opinion). A complete front end from a '99- '03 GSXR can be had for cheap in most cases. I prefer the standard forks of the '01-'03 GSXR 600. Awesome brakes too! I prefer them to the 6 pot calipers of the 750/ 1000 front ends.

The shock should be replaced with an Ohlins (from Motorcycles Unlimited or Metric) and sprung for your weight. This is expensive. If you can find a used one, get it. Most of the time, you can't get a new one for less than $750. Used go for about $500.

As you can see, I direct the major majority toward suspension. I don't believe in power adder's for a track day or endurance bike. You just won't see enough bang for the buck with them. I did some minor mods to an '05 SV for a friend who I built a track SV for (converted from street to race for him), and the little minor "tricks" that everyone highly recommended (like PAIR valve delete and "de-snorkle'ing the air box) showed no appreciable gain to horsepower on the dyno. The slip-on pipe and aftermarket air filter did ad some though (I think it was just a couple of hp iirc). To get real hp out of an SV engine, you have to spend too much money imho. There are a couple of tricks you can do, cams and cam timing is a great way to get lots of power without sacrificing reliability- and you can do it yourself (with some help of a knowledgeable person). Otherwise, I wouldn't touch the engine. The '03 is the notorious one, but some claim it was only the East Coast bikes that had the problem, others claim they all do. The problem is with the crank and cases whereas the first gen SV had an "adjustable" crank shim (not really adjustable, but it can be shimmed for clearance), Suzuki decided with the '03 to cast the crank end play in to the cases. They missed the mark on a bunch of engines, and they blew up.

If you got in to racing, I would simply have a stock engine as a spare, just in case. SV engines from '03-'07 will work with your bike.

Bodywork can be done cheap. The '04/5 GSXR 600/750 bodywork fits better on to the SV than any major manufacturer of bodywork I have tried. That includes Sharkskinz, GP Composites, Hotbodies, Armour, and Multitech. What I found is that they used the '01-'03 GSXR bodywork as a "plug" for the SV bodywork, and just deleted the ram air holes and case cover openings, and called it "SV" bodywork. If you put them side by side (SV and GSXR) you can see they're the same. Sharkskinz did some mods on the lower fairing to make it more narrow, but that caused problems with exhaust clearances and other issues with the chain clearances. The '04/5 GSXR almost bolts right up, and fits awesome with some minor brackets you can make yourself.

GSXR sub-frames fit the SV too, but the second gen SV (like you have) is harder to find a GSXR sub-frame for. This is something I usually hack up and modify to fit. I would stick with the SV sub-frame if it can be reasonably straightened.

Long story short, if you could get money for your bike (it would have not be crashed for this) I would sell it and buy a race prepped bike, because then, it would be cheaper and a better idea.

However, since it's already crashed, I would part out the stuff you don't need any more and track that hoe out with a new shock and GSXR bodywork. As an option, if it were mine, I'd also have a GSXR front end on it- but that's something you'll have to decide on your own.

If SV owners rode our endurance bike with the GSXR front end on it, I know they'd sell their stockers in a heartbeat. Yeah, it's that good.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:14 PM   #31
atizzle

Bike(s):
'03 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
AT, it was good to talk to you today I think you're on the right track.

The SV has some inherent problems that should be addressed with suspension, you already have a handle on one of them (the front end). The rear shock is pure shyte, and a cheap "fix" many have gone with is to get a GSXR or 636 shock to replace it with. They are OK, but not nearly as good as a Penske or Ohlins. The Ohlins is the natural choice for me, but for some suspension gurus and mechanic types, that is a "Ford vs Chevy" debate.

If I were in your shoes, here is the course I would take.

2 choices on the forks, leave them as is (because that is a good set up) or sell them for a pretty decent amount of money (SVRider.com and WERA peeps buy SV front ends for really decent amounts of money) and buy a complete GSXR front end. The GSXR front end can even be left un-sprung and stock valve'd on the SV and still perform better than a stock SV front end. I prefer the GSXR front end, always have, always will. The SV front end (even very well set up) is not as stable and planted as the GSXR front end is (personal preference, Patrick and I have debated this before 'cause he's on the opposite side of this particular opinion). A complete front end from a '99- '03 GSXR can be had for cheap in most cases. I prefer the standard forks of the '01-'03 GSXR 600. Awesome brakes too! I prefer them to the 6 pot calipers of the 750/ 1000 front ends.

The shock should be replaced with an Ohlins (from Motorcycles Unlimited or Metric) and sprung for your weight. This is expensive. If you can find a used one, get it. Most of the time, you can't get a new one for less than $750. Used go for about $500.

As you can see, I direct the major majority toward suspension. I don't believe in power adder's for a track day or endurance bike. You just won't see enough bang for the buck with them. I did some minor mods to an '05 SV for a friend who I built a track SV for (converted from street to race for him), and the little minor "tricks" that everyone highly recommended (like PAIR valve delete and "de-snorkle'ing the air box) showed no appreciable gain to horsepower on the dyno. The slip-on pipe and aftermarket air filter did ad some though (I think it was just a couple of hp iirc). To get real hp out of an SV engine, you have to spend too much money imho. There are a couple of tricks you can do, cams and cam timing is a great way to get lots of power without sacrificing reliability- and you can do it yourself (with some help of a knowledgeable person). Otherwise, I wouldn't touch the engine. The '03 is the notorious one, but some claim it was only the East Coast bikes that had the problem, others claim they all do. The problem is with the crank and cases whereas the first gen SV had an "adjustable" crank shim (not really adjustable, but it can be shimmed for clearance), Suzuki decided with the '03 to cast the crank end play in to the cases. They missed the mark on a bunch of engines, and they blew up.

If you got in to racing, I would simply have a stock engine as a spare, just in case. SV engines from '03-'07 will work with your bike.

Bodywork can be done cheap. The '04/5 GSXR 600/750 bodywork fits better on to the SV than any major manufacturer of bodywork I have tried. That includes Sharkskinz, GP Composites, Hotbodies, Armour, and Multitech. What I found is that they used the '01-'03 GSXR bodywork as a "plug" for the SV bodywork, and just deleted the ram air holes and case cover openings, and called it "SV" bodywork. If you put them side by side (SV and GSXR) you can see they're the same. Sharkskinz did some mods on the lower fairing to make it more narrow, but that caused problems with exhaust clearances and other issues with the chain clearances. The '04/5 GSXR almost bolts right up, and fits awesome with some minor brackets you can make yourself.

GSXR sub-frames fit the SV too, but the second gen SV (like you have) is harder to find a GSXR sub-frame for. This is something I usually hack up and modify to fit. I would stick with the SV sub-frame if it can be reasonably straightened.

Long story short, if you could get money for your bike (it would have not be crashed for this) I would sell it and buy a race prepped bike, because then, it would be cheaper and a better idea.

However, since it's already crashed, I would part out the stuff you don't need any more and track that hoe out with a new shock and GSXR bodywork. As an option, if it were mine, I'd also have a GSXR front end on it- but that's something you'll have to decide on your own.

If SV owners rode our endurance bike with the GSXR front end on it, I know they'd sell their stockers in a heartbeat. Yeah, it's that good.
Tom,

Tons of great info. Thanks again for taking the time to talk to me today. I did an 04 ZX6 shock last year, and its better than stock, but a little bouncy.

One of these days I am gonna pay you a visit and pick your brain some more about the gsx-r front end swap and other sv stuff.

Talk to you again soon Tom
Old 08-16-2007, 10:33 AM   #32
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Take that shock to Andy at Metric and see if he can modify it for you with a new spring and rebuild. I think that is one of the models (the '04) that can be rebuilt and adjusted reasonably well. Andy will tell you if it's worth it or not, and won't shine you on just to sell you a new Ohlins (he doesn't make any money off selling parts like that).

I'd take his word as the gospel if he recommends rebuilding the ZX shock or to just spend the money on an Ohlins. He's never steered me wrong.

Let me know how it goes on that bodywork deal, I'll be more than happy to help you fit it up.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:40 AM   #33
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

2003 kawasaki z1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RSVR View Post
! the secret is out!!!! In all honesty the biggest thing to me is knowing the track. I've been out there four or five times and that gives a rider a HUGE advantage over someone there for the first time.

I saw a lot of riders get a lot faster during the day, it was a great day over all.

Oh, and sorry to whoever it was that I dove inside of going into turn one. I didn't get yelled at (like someone else did hehehe) but I felt a little bad after doing it!
lol ya that was me. i knew you were there and tried to go a little wider for ya, but i was also trying to hold my line. but it was all in good fun
Old 08-16-2007, 12:18 PM   #34
atizzle

Bike(s):
'03 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Take that shock to Andy at Metric and see if he can modify it for you with a new spring and rebuild. I think that is one of the models (the '04) that can be rebuilt and adjusted reasonably well. Andy will tell you if it's worth it or not, and won't shine you on just to sell you a new Ohlins (he doesn't make any money off selling parts like that).

I'd take his word as the gospel if he recommends rebuilding the ZX shock or to just spend the money on an Ohlins. He's never steered me wrong.

Let me know how it goes on that bodywork deal, I'll be more than happy to help you fit it up.
Cool, Andy's shop is literally 3 minutes from my house. I will have to pay him another visit.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:49 PM   #35
SVmike
nuthin'

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
just a mtn bike now...

Send a message via AIM to SVmike
Ouch. Man that sucks that you went down. Crazy how everything is fine one second and the next you're off the bike.

I was going to install a 01-03 GSXR front end on my bike until Patrick talked(lectured hehe) me into a racetech fork setup. No complaints but I've never ridden an SV with a GSXR front end so I can't compare the two.

I still have the lower triple and fork tubes from a 01-03 GSXR 750 if you want to buy them. They are the inverted showa forks.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:24 PM   #36
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVmike View Post

I was going to install a 01-03 GSXR front end on my bike until Patrick talked(lectured hehe) me into a racetech fork setup. No complaints but I've never ridden an SV with a GSXR front end so I can't compare the two.
Yeah, as I mentioned, Patrick and I are on opposite sides of this debate. I have ridden several bikes with worked-over SV forks, and several with GSXR front ends. I wholly prefer the GSXR front end, especially at TWS (Texas World Speedway) with the faster corners.

The GSXR front end has the forks legs spaced further apart, and I feel like I have much more leverage with the bike- it feels a lot more planted. It's also easier to handle in the tight and quick corners for the same reason and I don't expend as much energy getting the bike over. That part plays very well with endurance racing.

To each there own.

You can easily get a complete front end from a GSXR for less than $500 with radial brakes (triples, fork legs, brakes, master, etc). You can get the ones I prefer (the '01-'03 GSXR 600 forks) for less. They are lighter than the inverted forks, and are just as adjustable. As I mentioned too, they are less expensive than the inverted models.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:04 PM   #37
atizzle

Bike(s):
'03 SV650S

So is it difficult to rebuild inverted forks? I had no problem installing my emulators and springs on the SV.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:24 PM   #38
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by atizzle View Post
So is it difficult to rebuild inverted forks? I had no problem installing my emulators and springs on the SV.
Well, not hard, just different. As you already probably know, the SV internals won't work on the GSXR forks as they are different diameters and they are cartridge forks. The SV forks are damper rod forks, and are really easy to do in anyone's clean garage.

As a rule, I don't mess with the building of my own suspension parts on my race bike. I would rather trust them to a professional shop so that I KNOW that it's done right. I've done my own before, but it doesn't cost much to have them do it.

Advertisement