MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2007, 06:21 AM   #1
WS62001

Feedback Rating: (0)

Why wear gear?

I had gotten into a little discussion with a friend of mine about wearing gear while riding. This was basically brought up because I was wearing a new 2 piece FS Revo suit and I had gone out for a ride and stopped by. He has owned 3 different bikes and this is my 1st. During the discussion he said when had his bikes he never wore a helmet, only his casual leather jacket and a pair of shades.:eh: Later that night I thought I would search the net for some pics of road rash to show him why I wear gear and stumbled on this story of a young lady out joyriding with her friend. http://www.speedfreakinc.com/content...rashqueen.html I decided to put this up here 'cause I don't know how many times I've seen the fellas with there ladies on the back of their bikes with NO GEAR. Even dads with their daughters on the back with NO GEAR. And think in my head, " Gee thanks Pop." So please read and rethink about not wearing ALL the correct gear.Fellas and your gals. Ride safe, Peace.
WS62001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wear your gear Classax General Discussion (Moto Related) 45 07-14-2014 01:17 PM
gear saved my like last night so people who dont wear gear TAKE A LOOK!!!!! dcm5586 General Discussion (Moto Related) 67 11-03-2008 07:50 PM
wear your gear b18c1ej8 General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 09-09-2007 05:35 AM
wear your gear witchdoctor575 General Discussion (Moto Related) 44 10-05-2006 09:18 PM
wear your gear! RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 54 06-29-2006 03:55 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2007, 06:38 AM   #2
FJRmgm

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

sweat wipes off - roadrash doesn't.

One of my co-workers used to joke that I came into work "looking like a Power Ranger" when I was in all my gear. Two months ago she was riding with her husband and a driver cut them off - both when down and she had some nasty road rash on the tops of both her forearms, hands (both sides), cheeks, nose and forehead and shoulders.

I asked her "did you have on any gear?" She replied "" no, but I sure will from now on". It was a low speed get-off and if she had on any gear it would have been a non-event. But since she didn't she spent about a month all rashed up.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:59 AM   #3
AWD
Cruise'n

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'06 600rr

Send a message via AIM to AWD Send a message via Yahoo to AWD
Old story. I recommend a couple times. After that it's there choice. It's like preaching to a wall, gets you no where. I like seeing the harcore guys at lights smoking there cigs, wearing shades, t-shirt, occasional shorts and gel'd hair w/ there helmets on the side or front of there bike (cruisers). Those guys are hardcore cuz I know I cant take any kind of debris hitting me. Im a wuss lol
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:02 AM   #4
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

they will learn, someway.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:06 AM   #5
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Send a message via MSN to TxBritt08R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Old story. I recommend a couple times. After that it's there choice. It's like preaching to a wall, gets you no where. I like seeing the harcore guys at lights smoking there cigs, wearing shades, t-shirt, occasional shorts and gel'd hair w/ there helmets on the side or front of there bike (cruisers). Those guys are hardcore cuz I know I cant take any kind of debris hitting me. Im a wuss lol
You ain't lying! I got hit in the cheek by a monster bug the other day. I had just raised my visor at about 20 mph for some cool(er) air, and got smacked. I can't imagine riding without a full face helmet.

I pulled up next to a 2-up couple on Nasa road 1 one day while going to church. Neither had any gear, and the girl had on a bikini top, extremely short shorts, and flipflops. It was hot, and I was all geared out and I said, " You know, that pavement is gonna hurt when you fall off that thing.. " She replied, " I know, right! " and laughed.

Why wait? Go ahead and take a cheese grater, get a stick to bite down on, and grind it all off...

Britt
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ
...I'm glad it's such a boring sport, what would it be like if they watched something a little more interesting, like football? they'd just spontaneously combust on the spot...
TxBritt08R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:28 AM   #6
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

next td I'm going out in shorts, flip flops and my trusty shades!
Old 08-14-2007, 07:37 AM   #7
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

Found this on another site ... thought I'd share it on this thread ... hope you don't mind if it's a repost ...

Riding Without Gear - Author Unknown

Riding without boots and crashing might cost you some road rash or foot mash or even in an extreme case might lead to amputation. You might never walk without a limp. You might battle a weight and fitness problem for the rest of your life. You might never walk without pain. But it probably wouldn't kill you.

Riding without gloves and crashing might cost you some road rash or a munched hand or the severe, excruciating pain of mangling a body part rich with nerve endings. Or you could lose a finger or two. It could cost you the ability to play ball with your son, or to hold a beer. But it probably wouldn't kill you.

Riding without at least an armored jacket and leather trousers or full leathers or an Aerostich or even just a leather jacket and jeans and crashing might cost you serious road rash. You might grind off a nipple. You might embed gravel in your elbow. You might get beef jerky all over your back. You might grind off your kneecap or have a scar resembling Australia on you calf like a friend of mine does. You would be scarred for life and not be able to walk on a beach shirtless without feeling self-conscious. You might end up like Kevin Spacey's character in "Pay It Forward" and have to deal with the same awkward moment every time you remove your clothes with a new lover. But it probably won't kill you.

Riding without a back protector and crashing in all but rare crashes would be inconsequential. However, there are so many variables out there- curbs, fenders, poles, guardrails, debris in the road- any one of these could be the golden BB that nicks your spinal cord in just the wrong way and leaves you in a wheelchair for life. Or, maybe you just have constant sciatic pain in one leg. Or you can't move your legs. Or you have to wear diapers for when you "poo poo" yourself, and/or a colostomy bag you have to pull out of your pants leg and squeeze your waste out into the toilet at a bar like a guy I know. Or you can't move from the chest down. Or from the neck down. Are you good at working joysticks with your mouth? Or maybe you might need a respirator? Or 24 hour care? Certainly, there are impacts that are completely foreseeable that would permanently injure you even with the best back protector in the world. But there are crashes and subsequent impacts that even mediocre back protectors can make that little bit of difference in- the ones you get up and walk away from, sore all over, but *walking*. Do you want the last time you walked to be when you walked out of 7-11 with a pack of smokes and then got on your bike? Those precious few steps out the door and over to the bike to be the five steps you remember the rest of your life because the next time you were off the bike you were lying strapped to a backboard staring at the headliner of an ambulance, tears running down your face because you couldn't feel the little piggies and you were almost ready to vomit at the stench of your "poo poo" because you lost control of your bowels? Riding without a back protector and crashing might not make a difference, or it might make all the difference in the world. It might not kill you, but it might make you wish it had.

And, finally, helmets. Riding without a helmet and crashing might be of no consequence. You might never even touch terra firma with your head. Or you might give yourself an asphalt facelift. You might get a concussion that results in only a bad headache the next day. You might get a serious concussion that lands you in the hospital for endless CAT scans and MRIs, and for the rest of your days be plagued by migraines. You might fracture your orbital and lose your vision. You might fracture your skull and end up fully functional but with a horrible Frankenstein like scar and a metal plate that bothers you on cold days and sets of metal detectors in airports. You might have a closed head injury from which you don't awaken from for hours or days or weeks or months- all the while your mother, father, sister, brother, children, workmates, and/or riding buddies come a visit you, filling an utterly depressing hospital room into a gauche jungle of flowers and bright card saying "get well soon!" that you never see or smell. Sure, you might awaken completely normal besides the hole drilled in your head to reduce pressure. Or you might awaken a little fuzzy, unsure who these people are. Or you might awaken and have to re-learn everything it took you all your life to learn, eventually returning to normal or even better like Harrison Ford in "Regarding Henry". Or you might awaken a man-child, drooling and laughing as you try to stack blocks, wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt signed by your mother, father, sister, brother, children, workmates, and/or riding buddies- which you will never read. Or you might have an open head injury, from which the "you" you know will most likely never return. The rest of your life -be it a day, a week, a month, a year- will consist of feeding tubes, the endless beep and whoosh of the heart monitor and respirator, and the drip-drip or IV fluids, catheters in your rod, and feeding tubes. Of course, you won't mind all of this; you'll be in a dreamland no one knows about. Your body will waste away and atrophy. Eventually, the shell that used to be you would give out, and your loved ones would have to make the most grueling decision of their life. Or, you might die on the road, fluffy gray brain matter mixing with blood and cerebra-spinal fluid. Perhaps your last ride would be twenty miles an hour down the street by your house combined with an impatient young driver and an ignored stop sign. Or perhaps it would be a ride on the freeway and a pothole denting your rim and popping the front tire off the bead sending you into the guardrail. Or you might go out in a blaze of glory with a 100 mph wheelie ending the wrong way. Whichever way, would make maybe a 10 second news story depending on where you live, maybe a paragraph buried on page 32B of the paper. Riding without a helmet could be of no matter- or it could mean the difference between going on as you are now, or having life taken away from you as if flipped a switch.
I can live without toes or a mangled foot- but I choose to try and prevent that. I can live with a hand that looks like a burn victim's and maybe relearn to write with my left hand- but I choose to try and prevent that. I can live with a scar in the shape of Australia on my calf- but I try and prevent that. I can live with road rash on my torso and arms- but I try to prevent that. I could live in a wheelchair, agonizing through every day, but I chose to try and prevent that.

I can't live as a man-child. I've already played with blocks. I only drool when I sleep.

We all make choices. Gear can't always save you. All the best leather, denim, Cordura, Kevlar, fiberglass, and plastic are useless when fate throws the Immovable Object or the Irresistible Force in your path. But I choose to stack the deck in my favor. If it all ends up for naught and the stacked deck and the cards up my sleeve end up losing to Fate's royal flush, so be it. But I'll try.

-Author unknown-
logan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:43 AM   #8
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

I cant remember who said it but someone said "have them run head 1st into a brick wall that should give them an idea of what a crash will feel like" :laughing6 Besides we all know helments are for B*I_TCHes'
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:48 AM   #9
cinco de mayo

Bike(s):
01 02 gsxr 1k 04 750

ouch

Not to mention those (monster) sized bugs !! They hurt like and dont taste worth a S(^T !!!!! Or even worse a BEEEEE !!!!!!!!!
cinco de mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:04 AM   #10
[poser]
"the un-original"

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'o7 sv650s: Tundra DC 5.7: Trek 1.2
wish I had a motard / dual sport, it'll be next

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRmgm View Post
sweat wipes off - roadrash doesn't.
I like that I'm gonna put it in my sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBritt04R6 View Post
You ain't lying! I got hit in the cheek by a monster bug the other day. I had just raised my visor at about 20 mph for some cool(er) air, and got smacked. I can't imagine riding without a full face helmet.

I pulled up next to a 2-up couple on Nasa road 1 one day while going to church. Neither had any gear, and the girl had on a bikini top, extremely short shorts, and flipflops. It was hot, and I was all geared out and I said, " You know, that pavement is gonna hurt when you fall off that thing.. " She replied, " I know, right! " and laughed.

Why wait? Go ahead and take a cheese grater, get a stick to bite down on, and grind it all off...

Britt
I can't even take getting hit in the face buy dirt when riding with my shield up at low speeds, and at high speeds I don't like that much wind hitting my eyes
besides that I'm really paranoid of getting hit in the eye by a anything, so its sheild down when in motion
Originally Posted by my father-in-law
Jason is hard to read, I can't always tell if he's joking or if his jugdment really is that bad
[poser] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:36 AM   #11
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Bill - Comments ??
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:01 AM   #12
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

The posts are too long and it is still early. Oh yea, don't crash.
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:09 AM   #13
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
Oh yea, don't crash.

What if someone runs into you where you had NO control over? I got hit by a noob hotshot on the track with his bike. Had it been a car out on the street, it would've been even worse. My gear saved my life. I still got hurt. Being injured and hurting all the time sucks.

Not wearing gear is just not worth it, plain and simple. You are out for months and going through all the trouble of nursing wounds..., screw it. It is NO fun. I'd hate for it to be any worse than it is. I have enough to go through every day.

If it is too hot to wear gear, I just won't ride.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:29 AM   #14
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

I know what you are saying and I agree. I wear gear at the track. And I wear gear on the street most of the time but man it is hard in the summer.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:31 AM   #15
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
I know what you are saying and I agree. I wear gear at the track. And I wear gear on the street most of the time but man it is hard in the summer.
If it is too hot to wear gear, don't ride on those hot days. Better sit out a few days because it is too hot than three months because you are too hurt to ride.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:34 AM   #16
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia View Post
If it is too hot to wear gear, don't ride on those hot days. Better sit out a few days because it is too hot than three months because you are too hurt to ride.
MAn, Radar is going to fall in love with you.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:36 AM   #17
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
The posts are too long and it is still early. Oh yea, don't crash.
Now I understand - I should only wear my gear when I "PLAN" on crashing.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:41 AM   #18
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
What's moxt of the time? Oh yea - I forgot - when you "PLAN" on crashing.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:42 AM   #19
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Now I understand - I should only wear my gear when I "PLAN" on crashing.
Hey, I never used the word "plan" but I do try to avoid it with all my brains, know how, and intuition. :icon_bigg
Old 08-14-2007, 09:44 AM   #20
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
MAn, Radar is going to fall in love with you.

Advertisement