MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 11:58 PM   #1
Metzzen1
Crazy Member

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
srad gix 6

Send a message via AIM to Metzzen1
Ram air tube, affect on map?

Would a ram air tube being missing substantially alter the a/f ratio enough to decrease performance?

im going to diagnose some tomoro but the bike is down on power and sounds as if its lean i believe, sometimes almost backfires during shifts.:eh:

and maybe its just the shorty packing breaking in, or me just now noticing it, Im not sure, but it seems to me that the bike tends to make more of a WHAAAAA type of sound rather than the normal inline four zing.

im changing plugs/oil/filter manana, imm check injector plugs, all wire connections, vacuum hoses.anything specific i should look for?
Metzzen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My new shorty exhaust and side entry ram air the_laydown General Discussion (Moto Related) 33 08-02-2011 03:52 PM
WTB large rubber tube aka river tube jetcycles Off Topic 19 05-04-2011 02:11 PM
02-03 R1 Free mod (ram air kinda) illicit_records How To's and Q & A's 10 06-21-2007 01:33 PM
Does TRE affect tuning? Metzzen1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 04-11-2007 09:07 PM
ram air ducts ???? GsxrStar General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 02-02-2006 07:09 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2007, 01:21 AM   #2
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

When does it backfire? On deceleration shifting down, or acceleration shifting up?

I would think that if ram-air was an aspect of the original mapping, then missing the source would have an effect, but I'm not sure it would cause backfiring on the upshift, since lacking the tube would mean leaner air? Disclaimer: I'm no mechanic.

If it's backfiring on deceleration, along with a possible re-map, remove the entire PAIRS system and block off the holes with plates. You can get rid of some extra weight as a bonus.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:25 AM   #3
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

I just reread your post. If you repacked your cans, or got new cans, you may need to remap. That's my guess.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
Urandaman

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2002 f4i

Send a message via AIM to Urandaman
the previous owner of my bike took the ram air tubes off for some unknown reason.. but when i put them back on it seemed to run a bit smoother since it wasnt sucking it hot air. could just be my imagination tho
Old 08-14-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
Metzzen1
Crazy Member

Bike(s):
srad gix 6

Rob: the map i have is not actually specific to MY bike. I plan on getting it remapped once i have all of the body work finalized but until then i gotta figure out why its running like .
Old 08-14-2007, 09:52 AM   #6
Metzzen1
Crazy Member

Bike(s):
srad gix 6

what exactly is the benefit to removin the PAIR. doesnt it have a specific purpose or is it only emmissions related. That will need to be somethign i do BEFORE the remap so any information on it would be great, ill research later but i have ....7 stops to make for errands in the next hour or two
Old 08-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzzen1 View Post
what exactly is the benefit to removin the PAIR. doesnt it have a specific purpose or is it only emmissions related. That will need to be somethign i do BEFORE the remap so any information on it would be great, ill research later but i have ....7 stops to make for errands in the next hour or two
It's a means by which the the manufacturer is forced to add extra weight to your bike with yet another emissions regulation

Like Tango and I suggested, just get rid of it and block it off :icon_bigg .
Old 08-14-2007, 10:14 AM   #8
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzzen1 View Post
Rob: the map i have is not actually specific to MY bike. I plan on getting it remapped once i have all of the body work finalized but until then i gotta figure out why its running like .
Get on a gixxer specific board, and ask around. I'm sure there are folks there who may have already played around with a few maps, and figured out which ones work best overall. Keep in mind that each bike is different, and may respond differently within any specific model, but I'm pretty sure there's already a few out there that might fix your problem. I would remap before the bodywork. You don't want to damage your motor any more than from your normal use.

Advertisement