MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
hypertrophyy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

AMA SB vs WSB Factory Domination???

In your opinion, why is it that the Suzuki's in AMA Superbike dominate their class and in WSB Honda and Yamaha dominate this one?

I have my opinons but I'm interested to know what the experts here have to say. It bugs me to say the least to see a talented rider like Biaggi struggle on a Suzuki with all his skill an exp. Then to see the AMA guys make a joke out of their class. Please explain......
hypertrophyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Factory Yamaha WSB team in 2012 996Pilot Taking it to the Track 2 08-01-2011 03:58 PM
"SPOILER" WSB- Japanese domination at Brands Hatch Grinchy Taking it to the Track 15 08-02-2008 01:39 PM
Spies show 'em all (AMA SB and SS spoilers) tomLSTD Taking it to the Track 16 06-02-2008 05:36 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Nice topic!

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
I'm no expert, but there is no domination in WSB. It's all pretty level for the most part.

As far as Suzuki dominating in AMA. Dunno. They have a great package and experience.
AMA Honda used to lease their bikes from the factory in Japan, but as of 2(?) years ago, they pulled that development in-house to American Honda, basically starting from scratch.
Yamaha, hasn't raced AMA Superbike in quite some time, they are still developing their bike. Same goes for Kawasaki.

WSB and AMA have different rules. If I remember correctly, an AMA bike could be raced in WSB because there are a bit more restrictions, but a WSB has too many mods to compete in AMA.

You also have a spec tire in WSB, AMA doesn't.

<-- no expert.

Oh, and then there is the whole cheating thing that Suzuki was doing.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #4
hypertrophyy

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

Yea the fight is between Toesland sp? and Haga for the most part. That makes it between Honda an Yamaha.......with Haga's team mate in the mix. Your right, its not total domination. I'm still impressed will some of Biaggi's brave performances making WSB some of the best racing to watch this year. I did'nt know the info you gave about the Japanese factories. That helps and I wonder why that is. I'm sure other people will drop more into this thread.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturoC View Post
I'm no expert, but there is no domination in WSB. It's all pretty level for the most part.

As far as Suzuki dominating in AMA. Dunno. They have a great package and experience.
AMA Honda used to lease their bikes from the factory in Japan, but as of 2(?) years ago, they pulled that development in-house to American Honda, basically starting from scratch.
Yamaha, hasn't raced AMA Superbike in quite some time, they are still developing their bike. Same goes for Kawasaki.

WSB and AMA have different rules. If I remember correctly, an AMA bike could be raced in WSB because there are a bit more restrictions, but a WSB has too many mods to compete in AMA.

You also have a spec tire in WSB, AMA doesn't.

<-- no expert.

Oh, and then there is the whole cheating thing that Suzuki was doing.
:laughing6:laughing6

I'm with agent here. I don't see a real domination in WSBK, i might be wrong but WSBK in the past years, HOnda 2002, ducati, ducati, suzuki, ducati and prolly honda. Yamaha doesn't have a title yet but the are stong.

As for the AMA i really think it has to do with money and politics (cheating). Now, i would like to see the spec AMA suzuki bike running in WSBK to see the difference.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

!!!!!! What if WSBK and AMA (suzuki) have the same specs. cheaters.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:04 PM   #7
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Except for this year, WSBK has been dominated by Ducati. Ducati has won the constructors cup almost every year since it began.

AMA is dominated by Suzuki because that's where Suzuki factory concentrates its effort (ie- money). Seems to be working too. Looky at all the Gixxers everywhere. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday. The Honda team in AMA is not even backed by HRC. WSBK seems to be much more level of a playing field when it comes to machinery which is why.....

WSBK owns AMA.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:06 PM   #8
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Also, Biaggi is not exactly on inferrior equipment. He's raced a handful of tracks this year he's never stepped foot on and has podiumed at those as well.

He had alot of experience at Qatar and he went 1st 2nd...

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #9
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

+1 on the factory support issue. Suzuki isn't throwing all their money at WSBK, but for two years, nobody could beat Corser on one!

WSBK used to be referred to at the "Ducati Cup" 'cause that's the only bike that was winning then. Spec tires went a long way to evening the field, and I think the same would be true for AMA if they did that. I have noticed a marked difference in the racing and how close the field is since they did that at WSBK.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:04 PM   #10
hypertrophyy

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

Why don't the other manufacturers invest more into AMA? I thought the top teams are all factory rides..... They should do something... AMA SB is getting boring
Old 08-11-2007, 02:07 PM   #11
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

AMA SBK is being boring for many years. Supersport and Extreme are better. Superstock is going away.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #12
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Maybe it's where the mfr's choose to spend the largest part of their racing budget. Some may see more advantage to promoting a WSB team, others AMA.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:59 PM   #13
R6Rescue
Crash (MotoGP Guru)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 R6 (Street)
2011 R6 (Racebike)
2008 R6 (Deceased Best Friend's)

WSBK has alot to do with the riders and not the equipment so much, i.e. how it should be! AMA is ALL politics (cheating). In AMA, Jordan Suzuki for example can't even get better Suzuki parts because they don't want them to compete with or even have the chance to beat the factory team. The faster Ben Spies and other good riders get out of AMA and into WSS/WSBK or MotoGP, the longer and more competitive their careers will be. I mean in WSBK, Troy Corser won on a Suzuki in 05, and now he is having a good season alongside Haga at Yamaha. Woot for WSBK! Bring back the American WSBK round!
R6Rescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:02 PM   #14
R6Rescue
Crash (MotoGP Guru)

Bike(s):
2006 R6 (Street)
2011 R6 (Racebike)

Not to mention...WSBK brings in WAY more money because the series is more competitive and NOT boring to watch..lol.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #15
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6Rescue View Post
WSBK has alot to do with the riders and not the equipment so much, i.e. how it should be! AMA is ALL politics (cheating). In AMA, Jordan Suzuki for example can't even get better Suzuki parts because they don't want them to compete with or even have the chance to beat the factory team. The faster Ben Spies and other good riders get out of AMA and into WSS/WSBK or MotoGP, the longer and more competitive their careers will be. I mean in WSBK, Troy Corser won on a Suzuki in 05, and now he is having a good season alongside Haga at Yamaha. Woot for WSBK! Bring back the American WSBK round!
Yeah, that was funny when MJ wanted to buy MLadin 06 bike and they said, MJ you can't afford it and MJ said, just tell me the price and i tell you if i want it or not :laughing6:laughing6:laughing6:laughing6
Old 08-11-2007, 04:08 PM   #16
R6Rescue
Crash (MotoGP Guru)

Bike(s):
2006 R6 (Street)
2011 R6 (Racebike)

Yeah, MJ not have enough money. That is like saying to Rossi, no, you don't have enough talent. :laughing6
Old 08-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #17
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Remember the Yosh team has been developing essentially the same bike for years. I really don't think they cheat...much, but really it comes down to a very well developed package and VERY talanted riders. It makes for some boring racing.
WSBK is much more entertaining to watch. Ten Kate is getting no support from HRC, niether is American Honda. HRC is primarily focusing on FIM endurance & MotoGP.
For American Honda, I think it will take a FULL commitment to developing the bike, something on the scale of Ten Kate.
John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #18
hypertrophyy

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
Remember the Yosh team has been developing essentially the same bike for years. I really don't think they cheat...much, but really it comes down to a very well developed package and VERY talanted riders. It makes for some boring racing.
WSBK is much more entertaining to watch. Ten Kate is getting no support from HRC, niether is American Honda. HRC is primarily focusing on FIM endurance & MotoGP.
For American Honda, I think it will take a FULL commitment to developing the bike, something on the scale of Ten Kate.
John
I wish the Honda gods would do something!!!! AMA Superbike is taking up my TV time! I'd like to watch Superstock and see the up and comming riders/friends battle over that .

At least Haner is in the mix but as you guys say.... its politics and he will never have a bike to compete with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6Rescue View Post
Yeah, MJ not have enough money. That is like saying to Rossi, no, you don't have enough talent. :laughing6
Old 08-11-2007, 06:46 PM   #19
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

The rules are changing for next year, we'll see if they can succeed in making the SB class conform to stricter rules (seemingly and effectively making it a SS class).
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:41 PM   #20
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertrophyy View Post
At least Haner is in the mix but as you guys say.... its politics and he will never have a bike to compete with.

I've been thinking about that... How 'bout when i win the lottery I sponser him?
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement